Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Today I worked some documentary interviews. I am so very happy to become reacquainted with my friend, [NON-INTERVIEW], as well as his best buddy, "clean verbatim".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A friend told me there might be freelance translators in here. I've started a translator thread, come post
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3641054

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
My interviewee is letting out slow farts while he's being questioned. Long, slow farts. Constantly. This man could power the Hindenburg.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

Slightly Used Cake posted:

My interviewee is letting out slow farts while he's being questioned. Long, slow farts. Constantly. This man could power the Hindenburg.

Would those count as [Non-interview], [Background noise], or [Cross-talk]?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Except for how many invoices I'll have to send in, I kinda like getting a bunch of little bite-sized videos, especially when I can use non-interview. Beats the poo poo out of an 80 minute full verbatim behemoth looming over me!

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
All for DT or for like a bunch of different places?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

All for DT or for like a bunch of different places?

DT, that one big project they had over the weekend.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Okay, between poor time management, some personal issue flare-ups, and the power being kind of unreliable because of the storm and tornado crap going on right now, I am falling way behind, and have a bit over 12 hours to do ~70 minutes of transcription. This includes when I'm supposed to be sleeping, but my schedule's so hosed up right now that at least that's not an issue.

Who do I talk to about getting some of this to someone else, and will it negatively affect my future assignments?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I'd imagine you want to email Sally, but shoot for doing maybe 15 minutes per hour starting like, right now, partition that poo poo off and finish it in about 4 hours total time. If you've gotta lose a bit of sleep over it, that's part of the job sometimes when you run into trouble, just gotta manage time better. I'll tell you right now, parting out your work in manageable sets of 10 to 20 minutes per hour like that will do wonders for you, especially as you get faster at it.

No clue if it'll affect your future. They're usually pretty understanding, though, and they should be able to see if your area's been having those big storms or not, so telling them about it now might be your best bet.

In lighter news, most of the video I just completed was non-interview of the cast and crew joking about masturbation. I love this job sometimes, I swear.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

I'd imagine you want to email Sally, but shoot for doing maybe 15 minutes per hour starting like, right now, partition that poo poo off and finish it in about 4 hours total time. If you've gotta lose a bit of sleep over it, that's part of the job sometimes when you run into trouble, just gotta manage time better. I'll tell you right now, parting out your work in manageable sets of 10 to 20 minutes per hour like that will do wonders for you, especially as you get faster at it.

No clue if it'll affect your future. They're usually pretty understanding, though, and they should be able to see if your area's been having those big storms or not, so telling them about it now might be your best bet.

In lighter news, most of the video I just completed was non-interview of the cast and crew joking about masturbation. I love this job sometimes, I swear.

This, and yeah, if it's due to power issues form weather, there's nothing you can do. I'd probably not mention the personal issues, unless you feel like it's going to be something recurring, in which case figure it out and adjust your availability accordingly. Email Sally immediately when things like this occur, she can usually find a home for the extra work if she needs to without much trouble.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I'm really hating the new way WritersDomain is doing keywords. My internet goes out for long stretches, and before that wasn't a problem - I'd just write a bunch of articles about a keyword with a large number available and submit them all in a row when I got back online. That isn't really possible now, though fortunately I've still never had an article expire during an outage.

In a shocking turn of events, making money online works a lot better with consistent internet. :downs:

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
How am I supposed to identify speakers in the video and match them to the photo sheet when the resolution is like 50x50 pixels? I hope they have a secret stash of high res uploads somewhere.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Spartan421 posted:

How am I supposed to identify speakers in the video and match them to the photo sheet when the resolution is like 50x50 pixels? I hope they have a secret stash of high res uploads somewhere.

Think I might be on the same project as you. Good luck is about all I can say, I'm basically just gonna guess to the best of my abilities and let the client sort that poo poo out. If they don't like it, they can give us massive sized HD files like other clients do instead of video that's been recorded off a monitor using a Nokia 6600 or whatever. At least the audio isn't bad and I can non-interview where appropriate.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh God, I fell asleep when I should have been catching up. This is how my freelance career ends, not with a bang, but with a snore.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Hope you got to work immediately as soon as you got up, you still had the four hours necessary to finish it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, thank God. I misread the due time as being EST, it's actually PST. I have three more hours than I thought I did. I should actually be able to do this.

But god drat if I didn't learn a lesson about procrastination.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
All times are always PST coming from DT. You'll get used to adding three hours to any given assignment, but they've been pretty lenient about it with me before.

Still, get to work right now if you aren't already, you've got time to polish this off, move on, take the lesson from it, and pretend it never happened.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

All times are always PST coming from DT. You'll get used to adding three hours to any given assignment, but they've been pretty lenient about it with me before.

Still, get to work right now if you aren't already, you've got time to polish this off, move on, take the lesson from it, and pretend it never happened.
Yeah, already shot Sally an e-mail explaining that I should be fine now. But holy hell, was that a scary couple hours of probably-kind-of-sloppy work. Gave myself a few minutes to get some coffee in me, but once I finish this smoke, it's back to work.

Edit Anyone else here getting into DT, learn my lesson well: A weekend job is supposed to be done over the whole weekend.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 9, 2014

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I wouldn't stress too much dude. I've been late before and just casually uploaded to box like nothing was wrong. They always have tons of other things going on.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Yeah. I'd try not to be either on time or ahead of schedule, but I've turned assignments in up to 2 hours late because of the whole timezone thing before and heard nothing about it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That... would've been nice to know before I worked myself into a frenzy this morning, but whatever. Got just over 3 hours until listed-due-time to get ~20 minutes of footage done. Definitely in better shape than I was afraid I'd be. Now I'm actually more worried about the stuff I hurried earlier not being up to snuff, but the only thing QC's said so far is a reminder about margins.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I would like to stress aiming for the due time. Try and let Sally know. Just because she says nothing doesn't mean she doesn't note it, and it's better to stay in communication. When sending emails like that I should've said also shoot submissions an email in case she's not around, so that QC can know what's going on. But honestly...there are a lot of people who have been complete tossers about it all lately. Really though, when you're new and still adjusting to the format, until you're usually spotless, don't risk going over the mark too much otherwise QC will hate you because they can't get the revisions sorted.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Well yeah, I figured Mushroom had enough sense to not make it a habit :)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
You would assume everyone would know not to make a habit of it... Sorry Mushroom, no disrespect meant. I'm sure you're a proper grownup. :)

Also, new favorite, if you can't hear the question, mark it as inaudible. Most long-winded questions ever, like 50 feet away from the mic. I can't hear a loving thing. Sigh. :)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm sure you're a proper grownup. :)
You are incorrect. I am, in fact, an irresponsible child. But I am one who has learned her lesson.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

I would like to stress aiming for the due time. Try and let Sally know. Just because she says nothing doesn't mean she doesn't note it, and it's better to stay in communication. When sending emails like that I should've said also shoot submissions an email in case she's not around, so that QC can know what's going on. But honestly...there are a lot of people who have been complete tossers about it all lately. Really though, when you're new and still adjusting to the format, until you're usually spotless, don't risk going over the mark too much otherwise QC will hate you because they can't get the revisions sorted.

Yeah. They tend to be more forgiving if you have a record showing that even if you're a little on the late side, your files are close to immaculate. It means that QC doesn't have to stress about your file being awful and thus causing the company itself to miss the deadline imposed by the client, since "awful file" = QC emailing you back telling you to go over it again, when you may not actually be around in time to do it yourself.

Similarly, it's not impossible to get a deadline extension. I've done it a couple times for when I know I'm going to be out for the day it's due, or w/e, but know that it's a doable transcription within a reasonable timeframe. Sometimes they'll just flat-out reassign if it's too close to the due date and they can't accommodate, but they'd rather do that than have you stress out and turn in a potentially rushed/bad file with a deadline that didn't allow you enough time to doublecheck it for errors. A GOOD TIP: If you're running even a little late during the review process, send them an email and tell them you're reviewing the file, and that's why it's late*.

Lastly: one thing that's helpful to realize is that this really is wall-to-wall work. It's not like an office job where sometimes there's downtime, sometimes there isn't. Remember: an 80min file has a guaranteed, tacked-on hour and twenty minutes worth of sitting there correcting poo poo as you're reviewing the file, without any of the typing to take into consideration. Unless you want to turn in something that makes QC pull their hair out. Basically, that amounts to about (at a decent, beginner typing speed) at least 4 hours of solid work, or more if it's a rough file.

* EDIT Just be sure that's actually what you're doing and that the file does look as immaculate as possible. Otherwise, they'll be (understandably) annoyed with you.

Also, new favorite, if you can't hear the question, mark it as inaudible. Most long-winded questions ever, like 50 feet away from the mic. I can't hear a loving thing. Sigh. :)

I've got one where they keep in all the filming gaffs/banter. I've skated through at least 25mins of nothing but chatter in an 80 minute file. I hope I get this client forever.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 9, 2014

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

I got my first article rejection. Any reason not to create a Constant Content account and put it up there?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

I got my first article rejection. Any reason not to create a Constant Content account and put it up there?

Not really. There's the chance it could be rejected by CC (they don't have a separate revision process, just rejection with a comment on something to change before resubmitting) and too many of those on a new account can make the new account close, but I have no idea how strict that is.

Also it might not sell right away, but having it up available is better than having it rot in a subfolder somewhere on a harddrive, so.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

An Old Boot posted:

Lastly: one thing that's helpful to realize is that this really is wall-to-wall work. It's not like an office job where sometimes there's downtime, sometimes there isn't. Remember: an 80min file has a guaranteed, tacked-on hour and twenty minutes worth of sitting there correcting poo poo as you're reviewing the file, without any of the typing to take into consideration. Unless you want to turn in something that makes QC pull their hair out.

Alternatively, run it through again at 150% speed or even higher during the verification process.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm now working the same picture-match-up project that a lot of you guys are I think. Is it just me, or is there a lot of [INAUDIBLE] and [OVERLAP] in this? I've got pretty okay headphones, at max volume, and a lot of the small talk stuff seems to be very mumbling and people talking over each other quite a bit.

Edit Wait, never mind, this is [NON-INTERVIEW] small talk. I think the 'full fifteen seconds of it bleeped out in its entirety right before the interview starts' was the giveaway. :v:

Edit2 What's the proper tag for 'literally everything is drowned out by a censor beep'?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 10, 2014

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

It's probably not a censor beep, it's probably the sound guy getting set up for the interview proper. More than a few customers I've done work for have had a setup where there's a long (and seriously annoyingly loud) tone before the actual interview begins.

If there's actual formal questions and answers that begin a few minutes into a tape, you can usually leave out any chatter that went on before it. As you do more of this work, you'll develop a pretty good understanding of what's meant to be on-camera and what you can safely ignore.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I've found that, if the interviewer and/or interviewee are at all good at what they do, they'll speak louder and clearer for the actual questions and answers. Ironically, the projects I've worked on that have had the most consistent professionals on them have been the glut of those "Lets go film out in the middle of the woods at night" shows that have become increasingly popular over the past, what, 6 years? They also tend to be the funniest interviews with the most amicable people.

Then you've got projects where the interviewee is sitting 10 miles away from the microphone and your ears keep getting blown out by the interviewee who insists on talking and laughing over the interviewer so it becomes a maze of [OVERLAP].

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 10, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Two questions about invoices.

1) What do I do when I get enough little short files to fill up one sample invoice? Make it two pages? Send it immediately?

2) And for how cost is calculated, it's rounded to the minute, where, anything 31 sec or longer counts as 1 minute, anything 30 sec or below counts as 0. Do I have that right?

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

You can keep inserting rows into Excel to make it longer.

You got it on pricing.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Unless the file is literally only 27 seconds. Then you just charge for a full minute (obviously).

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Do you just keep tacking onto a single invoice? I thought they wanted them to print on a single page so you have a limit eventually?

E: Something I've learned doing this job: it literally does not matter from what walk of life, what part of the country, or even what country you originally came from, if you speak English, you probably use the phrases 'you know' and 'like' pretty much in between every single thought that you speak. You probably also say 'I/he was like/be like' or whatever else when you're about to say a quote.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 10, 2014

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I have no idea what they want. I've submitted pretty good sized invoices before though.

Anyone getting rush work? I haven't gotten a rush notice in ages.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Spartan421 posted:

I have no idea what they want. I've submitted pretty good sized invoices before though.

Anyone getting rush work? I haven't gotten a rush notice in ages.

I haven't seen a lot of notices I'll be honest, and submissions isn't showing a lot.

I concur on the invoice size, seriously, just keep whacking on rows, she'll let you know if it's no good.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How much are you folks able to make and what is your effective hourly income?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

How much are you folks able to make and what is your effective hourly income?

Last week I made $304.50 and I'm roughly in line to make similar or even more this week depending on how consistent and long the files are over the next three days. Mind you, last week was actually slow, with three days wherein I wasn't assigned any files, and it still came out to the highest check I've gotten thus far.

I'll round that to $300 and then divide it by 5 days, 8 hours (40 hour work week): $7.50 effective hourly income.

The highest estimate DT admits to is $600 a week ($15/hour effective), but I'm still new enough that I don't request nearly enough footage for that. According to my records, I got that $304.50 by transcribing around 406 minutes of footage, at a consistent pay rate of $0.75 per rounded (Up or down, depending on exactly length; see a few posts above) minute.

Note that taxes don't come out of a DT check; I'm technically a self-employed contractor, not an employee, so I set aside what would normally come out from taxes. The info I was able to dig up suggests that the tax rate for self-employment/contractors is just above 15%, so I've been setting aside around 16% of each check I've received.

EDIT: Seems I've just got a "raise", I've been hooked to a project that pays 80 cents per minute instead of 70 or 75. Woo! And it's clean verbatim so I don't have to do the stutter nightmare like I just had to earlier today!

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 11, 2014