Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Thanks! I don't have a doctor yet anyways.

Edit: ughhh so can I really just cancel my hsa coverage? Or is this something that needs to be done during the open enrollment period. I got added on to my wife's coverage already.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I've had car insurance since I could drive, so I've never had to worry about insurance when renting cars. Last year I sold my car and canceled my insurance, so now I actually have to understand and/or pay for this stuff. This is my current understanding of the different options:

Collision damage waiver - I appear to get this from my credit card
Personal injury protection - I have health insurance, so I don't think I need to worry about this
Personal effects coverage - I'm not really worried about the cheap stuff I travel with
Supplemental liability protection - This is my main concern

Assuming my understanding of the other three is accurate, I just have to care about liability, but what do I do about it? Do I just have to pay the rental company $12-15/day for it? (This is more than the actual car costs for my next trip.) If it affects anything, I expect to be renting cars for roughly 16 days this year. Thanks for any suggestions.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'd be very surprised if they let you rent without paying for the liability coverage without your own policy. Maybe even the CDW, depending. Technically the rental company is liable as the vehicle owner, but they usually won't let you roll out without providing some insurance they could subrogate in the event of a loss.

If that's the case, you could do something like Insure My Rental Car.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I'd be very surprised if they let you rent without paying for the liability coverage without your own policy. Maybe even the CDW, depending. Technically the rental company is liable as the vehicle owner, but they usually won't let you roll out without providing some insurance they could subrogate in the event of a loss.

If that's the case, you could do something like Insure My Rental Car.

I'd be surprised if they had an issue with the credit card CDW, since it's extremely common (all my cards have it) and offers the same amount of coverage as the typical one from the rental company.

Insure My Rental Car doesn't appear to offer liability coverage. Not sure if there are any similar ones out there that do.

Would a basic umbrella policy cover rental car liability? I think the basic ones are pretty cheap, but could I even get one if all I have is renters insurance?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

TheEye posted:

I'd be surprised if they had an issue with the credit card CDW, since it's extremely common (all my cards have it) and offers the same amount of coverage as the typical one from the rental company.

Insure My Rental Car doesn't appear to offer liability coverage. Not sure if there are any similar ones out there that do.

Would a basic umbrella policy cover rental car liability? I think the basic ones are pretty cheap, but could I even get one if all I have is renters insurance?

Over a decade ago when I worked for Hertz, the rental agency had to cover basic liability. The rest depends on your risk tolerance but the "coverages" are how they make a profit, not the rental fees.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Youll need to purchase the liability insurance they offer in order to have coverage while on the roads. The rental company should require you to since no auto insurer currently has you on the books, so you'd essentially be driving uninsured without it.

Personal injury protection is sometimes required in your state. Youre better off getting it instead of relying on paying your medical insurance deductible.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Youll need to purchase the liability insurance they offer in order to have coverage while on the roads. The rental company should require you to since no auto insurer currently has you on the books, so you'd essentially be driving uninsured without it.

Personal injury protection is sometimes required in your state. Youre better off getting it instead of relying on paying your medical insurance deductible.

No, that's what I was getting at; the rental firm is required by law to include minimum liability coverage as part of the rental. You can but supplemental coverage but are not required to.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

therobit posted:

No, that's what I was getting at; the rental firm is required by law to include minimum liability coverage as part of the rental. You can but supplemental coverage but are not required to.

I've heard this, but I've also heard of instances where they'll decline to rent if you don't have insurance and don't buy theirs. So I don't know what to think. I mean, I've never been asked for proof of insurance, so I could always just say that I have it to get out of the sales pitch, but liability coverage seems like a good thing to have and I have no idea what amount the required minimum covers. It also might vary by state.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Can anyone point me in the direction of some general guidelines for homeowner's insurance? I am a first time homebuyer and while the quote the insurance broker gave me seems pretty comprehensive, it would be nice to see what the rules of thumb are.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Mikey Purp posted:

Can anyone point me in the direction of some general guidelines for homeowner's insurance? I am a first time homebuyer and while the quote the insurance broker gave me seems pretty comprehensive, it would be nice to see what the rules of thumb are.

Not exactly, but get familiar with your local geology and geography. Learn what a 100 year, 500 year flood zone means, etc. I for example carry earthquake insurance in Kentucky. NOBODY carries earthquake coverage in Kentucky.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

therobit posted:

But they can still refuse to rent to you, and likely will.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Jastiger posted:

But they can still refuse to rent to you, and likely will.

I have never paid for supplemental coverage when renting a car, and no one has ever made me prove that I have my own car insurance - how would they even know?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Droo posted:

I have never paid for supplemental coverage when renting a car, and no one has ever made me prove that I have my own car insurance - how would they even know?

In every instance I've dealt with rental car companies they require you to sign a form stating such.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Jastiger posted:

In every instance I've dealt with rental car companies they require you to sign a form stating such.

I can't find anything in writing anywhere that says if you don't pay for their crappy rental insurance, you have to provide proof that you have your own coverage to rent a car. I imagine they tell you all kinds of horrible things when you are actually at the counter, and they definitely make you sign a form rejecting all their extra coverage they try to sell you - but I can't ever remember signing a box stating that I have my own liability insurance which definitely covers rental cars.

Here is the Hertz rental terms. https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reservation/reviewmodifycancel/templates/rentalTerms.jsp?KEYWORD=COVERAGES&EOAG=MIAT15

quote:

F.Y.I. – You are under no obligation to purchase LDW or any other optional service as a condition of rental. Your own personal insurance may provide protection for loss or damage to the rental vehicle depending on the state in which you live and the type of policy you have. Also, various credit card companies provide cardholders with some degree of damage protection providing you use their credit card for the rental and decline the optional LDW offered by Hertz at time of rental. The coverage and limits vary. Your policy or credit card coverage should be thoroughly checked for the specific terms and conditions associated with rental vehicles. Remember, most credit card insurance is supplemental, which means it will only reimburse you for loss or damages over and above what is covered by any other insurance you may have and will not cover you for any damage, regardless of cause, if you accept LDW.

Budget, similar language: https://www.budget.com/budgetWeb/html/en/terms/BudgetFastbreaktnc.pdf

quote:

How does SLI affect the application of your automobile or umbrella insurance policy?

Your personal insurance policy providing coverage on an owned automobile, or other personal policy, may
provide
additional coverage, and to that extent, SLI may provide a duplication of coverage.
Whether, at what point, and to what extent, your own policies apply can only be determined by your
checking the terms of the policies themselves as these terms frequently vary. However, if SLI is accepted, the
protection afforded by SLI, and the limits of protection under this Rental Agreement, are primary to your own
policies. This means that before your own policies would apply to pay a claim, the $2,000,000 protection
afforded by the combination of SLI and financial responsibility limits under this Rental Agreement limits would
have to be exhausted. If you do not accept SLI, your insurance, if any, is primary as stated in this Rental
Agreement.

And in general from this article: http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/30/pf/insurance/rental-car-insurance/

quote:

And those who aren't covered by their own insurance, are likely covered by their credit card, he said. All four major credit card issuers, Visa (V), American Express (AXP), MasterCard (MA) and Discover (DFS), provide some form of rental car insurance coverage. Although, MasterCard issues a few cards that don't offer coverage.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah none of that disagrees with what i said. They all assume you have your own coverage.

Look at it this way, if it's the law to legally operate a vehicle that you have liability insurance, why would it be legal to rent a car and carry nothing? How does renting a car while having no policy anywhere somehow make you covered?

It doesn't. They all assume you have your own insurance.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Jastiger posted:

Look at it this way, if it's the law to legally operate a vehicle that you have liability insurance, why would it be legal to rent a car and carry nothing? How does renting a car while having no policy anywhere somehow make you covered?

I have always thought that the rental company provides the bare minimum liability insurance required to drive legally - and if you turn down their insurance and total the car they would sue you for the damage (if you aren't covered by your own insurance, or credit card, or just pay out of pocket). That's why they are trying to sell you "supplemental" liability protection at the counter - because it supplements the minimum they already provide.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-legal-to-rent-a-car-without-insurance-in-the-US This is the most straightforward thing I can find online about it (most articles all quickly degenerate into "you probably are already covered with your insurance/credit card", or "the minimums aren't nearly good enough"). It seems to agree with what I thought was true - that the rental car company will provide the bare minimum to make you legal by default.

quote:

Is it legal to rent a car without insurance in the US?

Yes.

As part of your rental agreement, the rental car company must provide the minimum required insurance in the jurisdiction that the vehicle is used.

In the US, the minimum required limits of coverage can be relatively low, do not cover physical damage to the rental vehicle and in many states does not include coverage for injury to vehicle occupants. Which explains why the rental car companies provide the opportunity for the following types of supplemental coverage/insurance

None of this is to say that it's a good idea to drive without an actually decent amount of liability coverage, and collision if you need it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Yeah none of that disagrees with what i said. They all assume you have your own coverage.

I used to work for Hertz and we never refused rental for this reason. Many of the people were renting cars BECAUSE they didn't own one (we were a local agency and not an airport location). They absolutely provide minimum liability insurance with the rental fee, as required by law. They would be found liable if they failed to provide it and something happened as it is either thier vehicle or their lease.

The idea that they would just assume you are covered when that much money is on the line is laughable.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jastiger posted:

https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/car-rental-tip-sheet

All you're doing is spelling out who is primary. If you don't have your own they will provide the state minimum in the cost of the rental, at least in NY. This is likely woefully inadequate and if you otherwise have 0 liability protection you should probably go ahead and pick up the SLP policy from the counter, but ask them for a discount.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ah well that is news to me, then, and in my professional opinion, dumb as hell lol.

But if they are required to provide the minimum, then there you have it, you'd have some kind of insurance if you ran into someone else.

To me as an insurance guy that blows my mind because if you have no insurance, rent a car, go and plow into someone, you essentially put the rental company on the hook for a ton of money while dodging the obligation to provide liability insurance in any form. It seems like a really dumb way to have it set up for people to abuse-and it looks like people do just that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Ah well that is news to me, then, and in my professional opinion, dumb as hell lol.

But if they are required to provide the minimum, then there you have it, you'd have some kind of insurance if you ran into someone else.

To me as an insurance guy that blows my mind because if you have no insurance, rent a car, go and plow into someone, you essentially put the rental company on the hook for a ton of money while dodging the obligation to provide liability insurance in any form. It seems like a really dumb way to have it set up for people to abuse-and it looks like people do just that.

You certainly indemnify them for what little that is worth, and who knows maybe some states make you the culpable party while under a rental contract? According to Trip Advisor rental companies in CA are not required to provide anything, so if you don't have liability insurance somewhere (auto line, non-owner liability, or credit card) you have to purchase it over the counter. Looks like the state level laws on this vary wildly.

Seems it's a cost of doing business, which means it's rolled into the cost of the base rental. Especially if you pay retail.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
So basically I could opt to rent without any additional liability insurance, but it wouldn't be recommended.

So my options are to find a non-owner policy or pay for the rental company's supplemental liability insurance (I've never seen a credit card offer this).

From what I've read, most non-owner policies cost more than the rental company for the 2-3 weeks of renting I do per year, so I'm left with the latter.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
So I have just realized that insurance is something I've just been letting happen in the background based on a professional recommendation made by my Dad. I haven't ever met with our insurance agent but now we've got two cars and a house titled with this company with whom we've thankfully never had to file a claim. Is this the kind of thing I should schedule a call with to my insurance agent and really get the big picture of how we're insured and to what degree?

Virtually every other part of our financial lives is on lockdown, so it seems pretty silly to have this one big black box out there based on nothing but "oh, they're handling it."

What should I ask?

What should I look out for?

What numbers should I know?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Virtually every other part of our financial lives is on lockdown

Get an umbrella policy. Way easier than micro managing liability limits on individual policies. Suddenly your coverage is all measured in million(s) of dollars instead of 100k's.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

H110Hawk posted:

Get an umbrella policy. Way easier than micro managing liability limits on individual policies. Suddenly your coverage is all measured in million(s) of dollars instead of 100k's.

At what point does one make sense? We have a house and four vehicles with full coverage, but our net worth is basically 0.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

revmoo posted:

At what point does one make sense? We have a house and four vehicles with full coverage, but our net worth is basically 0.

What are your limits? I was at I think 250/500/250 or 500/500/500 on 3 vehicles + homeowners (fire) policy. Added $1MM, dropped my libability limits to the minimum specified by the umbrella (250/500/100? - provider specific), and the umbrella netted out to something like $20/year between reduced cost of coverage and multiline discounts. Our vehicles are all low miles/year ($185/month for all three @ 250/500/100, $500/250 deductibles, uninsured, $5k? $10k? medical) and we both have spotless driving records.

If you kill someone in a covered accident this can prevent bankruptcy or losing your house and four vehicles. It's cheap because you're not likely to need it, but if you do it allows you to rest easy.

Ask your agent or whomever what an umbrella would cost you including lowering all your limits to trigger the umbrella.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

H110Hawk posted:

What are your limits? I was at I think 250/500/250 or 500/500/500 on 3 vehicles + homeowners (fire) policy. Added $1MM, dropped my libability limits to the minimum specified by the umbrella (250/500/100? - provider specific), and the umbrella netted out to something like $20/year between reduced cost of coverage and multiline discounts. Our vehicles are all low miles/year ($185/month for all three @ 250/500/100, $500/250 deductibles, uninsured, $5k? $10k? medical) and we both have spotless driving records.

If you kill someone in a covered accident this can prevent bankruptcy or losing your house and four vehicles. It's cheap because you're not likely to need it, but if you do it allows you to rest easy.

Ask your agent or whomever what an umbrella would cost you including lowering all your limits to trigger the umbrella.

Good idea. My limits are 100/300 on everything right now.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Usually a company will require 250/500, but if you have a lot of assets definitely do an umbrella. Its never a bad idea to just go over the coverages you have and compare it to the OP.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
So I'm ready to call my agent and get a quote for life insurance. I've been putting this off for a while because I'm a little lost. Here's my info:

My age: 32
Married (wife not working) with 2 kids (ages 2 and 4)
Annual Salary: $59000 (plus about $6000 from a side-job)
Mortgage Balance: $160600 (25 years remaining)
Student Debt: $8770 (no other debt)

A typical monthly credit card bill is $800. Adding this to our typical bills for the month (including RE tax and homeowner's insurance if the mortgage were paid off) comes to about $2000/month.

I'm thinking of getting 2 term policies: a 20-year (which should cover through kids' college) and a 30-year (to cover the house after the kids are in their 20s). The amounts that I seem to like are $750000 for the 20-year and $250000 for the 30-year (so for the next 20 years, I would have $1,000,000 of coverage).

After paying the house/student loans and setting aside $100,000 per kid for college, there would be $630573 left, which at $2000/month should last about 26 years (without accounting for inflation).

For the 30-year policy alone (250k), at that point there would only be $50000 left on the mortgage and adult children, so my wife would have $200000 left for general living (she'd also be in her 50s by then).

Does this sound like a rational thought process or the ramblings of a madman?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Harveygod posted:

So I'm ready to call my agent and get a quote for life insurance. I've been putting this off for a while because I'm a little lost. Here's my info:

My age: 32
Married (wife not working) with 2 kids (ages 2 and 4)
Annual Salary: $59000 (plus about $6000 from a side-job)
Mortgage Balance: $160600 (25 years remaining)
Student Debt: $8770 (no other debt)

A typical monthly credit card bill is $800. Adding this to our typical bills for the month (including RE tax and homeowner's insurance if the mortgage were paid off) comes to about $2000/month.

I'm thinking of getting 2 term policies: a 20-year (which should cover through kids' college) and a 30-year (to cover the house after the kids are in their 20s). The amounts that I seem to like are $750000 for the 20-year and $250000 for the 30-year (so for the next 20 years, I would have $1,000,000 of coverage).

After paying the house/student loans and setting aside $100,000 per kid for college, there would be $630573 left, which at $2000/month should last about 26 years (without accounting for inflation).

For the 30-year policy alone (250k), at that point there would only be $50000 left on the mortgage and adult children, so my wife would have $200000 left for general living (she'd also be in her 50s by then).

Does this sound like a rational thought process or the ramblings of a madman?

You're being smart by considering the amount of insurance and what it would mean for your wife after expenses. You gotta think, you don't want to just pay off a house and then leave her with no income. That isn't crazy. I'd maybe look at supplementing with a small whole life that is set aside for final expenses and/or specific uses, but otherwise that isn't crazy.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Jastiger posted:

You're being smart by considering the amount of insurance and what it would mean for your wife after expenses. You gotta think, you don't want to just pay off a house and then leave her with no income. That isn't crazy. I'd maybe look at supplementing with a small whole life that is set aside for final expenses and/or specific uses, but otherwise that isn't crazy.

Thanks. I also want to get a policy for my wife, but my calculation is simpler:

20-year $500000

That should be enough for child care and poking around online it seems like it would be affordable. (Though of course those weren't real quotes.)

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

I just got off the phone with Amica. Quote (from the agent, still need bloodwork):
Me:
$56.95/month for 20-year $650,000 policy.
$39.70/month for 30-year $250,000 policy.
So $96.65/month for $900,000 (for the next 20 years).

Wife:
$38.84/month for 20-year $500,000 policy.

Total premiums: $135.49/month.

Does this sound normal for healthy 32-year olds? It's a little more than I'd hoped, but I based that on their online quotes.

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 2, 2017

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Why would you bother with the 20 year policy on yourself, since the 30 year deal is so much better?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That is fine, but if ask how much it would be to just get the 30 year at a higher amount. It may be cheaper

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Droo posted:

Why would you bother with the 20 year policy on yourself, since the 30 year deal is so much better?

Because I hosed up and typed the years in backwards. :downsa:

It's fixed now.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm considering moving my auto insurance from Metromile to USAA (Metromile used to be much much cheaper, since I barely drive but since I moved into the rural exurbs I've been driving a lot more). One thing that I have to decide on is Limited or Full Tort. I understand the difference between them, but I really don't understand the.. rammification? I guess is the word. On line a lot of people suggest just getting Limited Tort to have a cheaper insurance premium, but a lot of Lawyers recommend Full Tort (which, of course they would, they want to be able to make money by using folks). That all leaves me in a bit of a lurch where I don't really know if it's a better idea to get Full or Limited Tort? This is in Pennsylvania, as I gather the Full/Limited thing is a quirk of a handful of states.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Harveygod posted:

I just got off the phone with Amica. Quote (from the agent, still need bloodwork):
Me:
$56.95/month for 20-year $650,000 policy.
$39.70/month for 30-year $250,000 policy.
So $96.65/month for $900,000 (for the next 20 years).

Wife:
$38.84/month for 20-year $500,000 policy.

Total premiums: $135.49/month.

Does this sound normal for healthy 32-year olds? It's a little more than I'd hoped, but I based that on their online quotes.

Pay yearly if at all possible as well, there is likely a fee being charged to be monthly. As a reference point, I just got a 34-y/o male super preferred non-tobacco 25 years $1MM from AIG (lol) for $684 paid annually ($57/month), but it was closer to $65 paid monthly. I went through a broker, I can send you their contact info if you want.

Don't ask me how I got super preferred with asthma.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Steampunk Hitler posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm considering moving my auto insurance from Metromile to USAA (Metromile used to be much much cheaper, since I barely drive but since I moved into the rural exurbs I've been driving a lot more). One thing that I have to decide on is Limited or Full Tort. I understand the difference between them, but I really don't understand the.. rammification? I guess is the word. On line a lot of people suggest just getting Limited Tort to have a cheaper insurance premium, but a lot of Lawyers recommend Full Tort (which, of course they would, they want to be able to make money by using folks). That all leaves me in a bit of a lurch where I don't really know if it's a better idea to get Full or Limited Tort? This is in Pennsylvania, as I gather the Full/Limited thing is a quirk of a handful of states.

Its one of those things where if you really get hosed up, youll wish you had it. The cost usually isnt a ton more but the coverage is legit there.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What's a reasonable price to pay per month for health insurance with a deductible of $3,500?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

What are your preexisting conditions? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Sorry if this is the wrong thread (Didn't see a thread for this in the Dorkroom).

I'm starting my own video production business and recently dropped the money to get some nice production equipment. I would like to insure this equipment, but have seen a few different options. One is just renters insurance, which will cover my gear in my house (I believe) but won't cover damage/theft when I'm out working and using the stuff.

Does anyone have any good recommendations? I've found a few insurance companies that specialize in this, but their websites are ancient and I'm an idiot baby goon who doesn't understand the words and jargon they throw around.