Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

I got called silly for thinking that Rahm would toy with 2016 back in the election threads (and you'll note he's been listed as a potential candidate in the OP of this thread since the start), but he's really the nightmare scenario candidate for the progressive left.
He's also the nightmare scenario candidate for Rahm Emanuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Cuomo/Emmanuel 2016: This time, everybody loses.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
For whatever it's worth, Rahm's media guy is flat-out denying it on Twitter though that isn't exactly a surprise https://twitter.com/thomascbowen

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I find it hard to imagine that after the dems having had so much success with Obama being so much more likable and charismatic than McCain and Romney, that they would go for Rahm Emanuel who is the most unlikable shithead I could possibly think of. The average Democratic voter might not care about his terrible political positions but surely they would be turned off by him as a candidate.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus

MaxxBot posted:

I find it hard to imagine that after the dems having had so much success with Obama being so much more likable and charismatic than McCain and Romney, that they would go for Rahm Immanuel who is the most unlikable shithead I could possibly think of. The average Democratic voter might not care about his terrible political positions but surely they would be turned off by him as a candidate.

The Dems are not that much more strategically gifted as a party. Someone there thought it was a good idea to run Terry McAullife as governor of VA, so clearly the team ain't batting a perfect game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jeffersonlives posted:

In urban states in generals? Sure. In the Iowa caucuses? Not so much.

The only one of the early states where the unions matter a ton is Nevada, but Rahm won't play well there no matter what he does.

eta: Well, Michigan too, if it counts this time.

He has no constituency that will backpack around Iowa for him. He has no charisma and the base hates him.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

mcmagic posted:

He has no constituency that will backpack around Iowa for him. He has no charisma and the base hates him.

He'll have the money, he doesn't need the bold progressive backpacker types. What you think is the base does not decide Democratic presidential primaries and it hasn't in a very long time if ever.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jeffersonlives posted:

He'll have the money, he doesn't need the bold progressive backpacker types. What you think is the base does not decide Democratic presidential primaries and it hasn't in a very long time if ever.

They are a big part enough part of the coalition to put the nix on Rham.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

mcmagic posted:

They are a big part enough part of the coalition to put the nix on Rham.

No, they really aren't. If they were you would have seen Obama have a serious primary challenger, or at least show degradation in his approvals amongst Democrats.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

No, they really aren't. If they were you would have seen Obama have a serious primary challenger, or at least show degradation in his approvals amongst Democrats.

Not buying that. There was a TON of reasons that Obama didn't have a primary challenger. And while I know the base isn't trilled with Obama thats nowhere near the hate they have for Rahm.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Not buying that. There was a TON of reasons that Obama didn't have a primary challenger. And while I know the base isn't trilled with Obama thats nowhere near the hate they have for Rahm.

Democrats actually are thrilled with Obama, though. That's the entire point: the base of the Democratic Party isn't what you think it is. Most of the Rahm stuff (and the Cuomo stuff) that pisses off the Kos types is inside baseball or local or both.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

Democrats actually are thrilled with Obama, though. That's the entire point: the base of the Democratic Party isn't what you think it is. Most of the Rahm stuff (and the Cuomo stuff) that pisses off the Kos types is inside baseball or local or both.

Most of the Kos types worked for and donated to Obama in 2012, they wouldn't for Rahm.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Most of the Kos types worked for and donated to Obama in 2012, they wouldn't for Rahm.

They absolutely would in the general. You're kidding yourself if you think all but the flightiest of Democrats are going to abandon a Democrat in a red vs. blue contest because he roughed up the local teachers union and likes Israel a lot.

cymbalrush
Jul 12, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

They absolutely would in the general. You're kidding yourself if you think all but the flightiest of Democrats are going to abandon a Democrat in a red vs. blue contest because he roughed up the local teachers union and likes Israel a lot.

Oh Rahm! Looks like the Dems have found their very own Romney :unsmigghh:

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Any thoughts on Ben Carson? He's basically exactly what the GOP is looking for right now; he's a black man who grew up poor, yet rebuked Obama's policies to his face on a public stage, and he has major intellectual credibility but is still religious to the point of not believing in evolution. Apparently a lot of people have asked him to run for president and he's said, “If the Lord grabbed me by the collar and made me do it, I would." Which is kind of Sarah Palin-y, but also sounds like someone seriously considering it. Obviously he has no political experience so he could burn out like Herman Cain, but right now I think he has goodwill to spare. Hell, I first heard of him in The Wire, where he was mentioned as one of the few positive role models in Baltimore for inner city kids.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Vivek posted:

exactly what the GOP is looking for right now...religious to the point of not believing in evolution...kind of Sarah Palin-y...has no political experience
:allears:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
If those keywords weren't ringing alarm bells in your head as they were being written then I don't know how to even begin.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

It's great; the crazy former-Palin fans over at Ace of Spades immediately switched allegiances to him overnight. I'm sure nothing can go wrong with that plan at all and none of us will derive endless enjoyment from that fact.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

api call girl posted:

If those keywords weren't ringing alarm bells in your head as they were being written then I don't know how to even begin.

Hey, none of those things have stopped GOP candidates in the past!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

My argument is that he wouldn't get to the general.

monoceros4
Sep 1, 2006

As good at chess as Alekhine's cat

Vivek posted:

Obviously he has no political experience so he could burn out like Herman Cain...

From the sound of it he's more likely to burn out like Alan Keyes.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Misandrist Duck posted:

It is also worth mentioning that Rahm is up for election in February 2015. I can't see him just being a one-term mayor, but winning that race then more or less gearing up for a presidential run a few months later?

Praying that he declines to run for a second term only for Hillary to declare her candidacy, although I'm willing to roll the dice on his crashing and burning in a primary if that's what it takes to get him out of Chicago

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Rahm running nationally is like when Terry McAuliffe ran for Governor in Virginia. No one knows or cares who the gently caress he is outside of the political animals and his personality is grating as gently caress to most of the people he'd be running with. I assume the difference is that Rahm knows that his only constituency is the party machine in Chicago and the party machine in DC. I still can't believe that McAuliffe is going to run again (or that he might win, ugh).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

Rahm running nationally is like when Terry McAuliffe ran for Governor in Virginia. No one knows or cares who the gently caress he is outside of the political animals and his personality is grating as gently caress to most of the people he'd be running with. I assume the difference is that Rahm knows that his only constituency is the party machine in Chicago and the party machine in DC. I still can't believe that McAuliffe is going to run again (or that he might win, ugh).

He better win. Do you know the level of batshit he's running against?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Rahm doesn't have any more of a chance to get the nomination than Kucinich did. Calm down guys. So many people would have to bow out for him to be involved, and I'm not even sure he could beat out all the others who are waiting for that scenario to pop up as well.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Joementum posted:

I got called silly for thinking that Rahm would toy with 2016 back in the election threads (and you'll note he's been listed as a potential candidate in the OP of this thread since the start), but he's really the nightmare scenario candidate for the progressive left.

But who the hell would ever vote for him in a primary? The man's about as likable as a rabid pitbull...

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Vivek posted:

Any thoughts on Ben Carson? He's basically exactly what the GOP is looking for right now; he's a black man who grew up poor, yet rebuked Obama's policies to his face on a public stage, and he has major intellectual credibility but is still religious to the point of not believing in evolution. Apparently a lot of people have asked him to run for president and he's said, “If the Lord grabbed me by the collar and made me do it, I would." Which is kind of Sarah Palin-y, but also sounds like someone seriously considering it. Obviously he has no political experience so he could burn out like Herman Cain, but right now I think he has goodwill to spare. Hell, I first heard of him in The Wire, where he was mentioned as one of the few positive role models in Baltimore for inner city kids.

So what is his corruption/embezzlement problem? I bet there is one!

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.

mcmagic posted:

Yeah, I don't know much about McAuliffe, but I sure as hell don't want Cuccinelli as governor.

I really hope the next GOP primary season is as entertaining as the last one was. We all knew it'd be Romney, but the twists and turns along the way were just great fun.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
An easy was to determine who will win Governorship in Virginia.

Is the president a democrat?

If yes, then the republican wins.

If no, then the democrat wins.

I'm not seeing where Terry is doing anything to change the status quo, so to speak.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Cuccinelli has caused a schism in the Virginia Republican Party that has the establishment Republican lieutenant governor planning to run as an independent. McAuliffe polls ahead in both head to head and three-way matchups.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Volkerball posted:

Rahm doesn't have any more of a chance to get the nomination than Kucinich did. Calm down guys. So many people would have to bow out for him to be involved, and I'm not even sure he could beat out all the others who are waiting for that scenario to pop up as well.

The number is exactly 2. Fortunately, one of them will ride a sports car into every drivethru in Iowa for the next four years, so yes, this is pretty much inside fantasy.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Adar posted:

The number is exactly 2. Fortunately, one of them will ride a sports car into every drivethru in Iowa for the next four years, so yes, this is pretty much inside fantasy.

I feel like if Emanuel had presidential aspirations, he'd have stayed in the House, even notwithstanding his inability to overcome the Straight Talk Trans-Am.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

mcmagic posted:

Yeah, that's why it's a situation so unbelievable that he might actually win. I mean it's like imagining a situation where the Democrats won so many of these recent Senate seats. Their candidate sucked rear end, but they managed to pull it out because A) they kept their side of the field clear and B) the GOP candidate was unbelievably horrible. Terry is a horrible candidate, but he's unopposed on his side and he's running against Christine O'Donnell/Todd Akin levels of stupid.

I really, strongly dislike Terry McAuliffe and cannot believe that this is where Virginia is. At least in Texas our moron population of job-seeking migrants from Ohio, Michigan, Louisiana, New Mexico and all over the country screwed up an election where they had a decent choice in Houston's former mayor, Bill White. In Virginia you've got the slimiest Democratic bagman in recent memory running against a guy who would make Bill O'Reilly say, "Hey, wait a minute pal..." I feel for the educated populace who actually have a soul there.

SpaceGirlArt
Mar 29, 2008

Livingtrope posted:

An easy was to determine who will win Governorship in Virginia.

Is the president a democrat?

If yes, then the republican wins.

If no, then the democrat wins.

I'm not seeing where Terry is doing anything to change the status quo, so to speak.

Bellwethers are not serious politics. The tides are seriously blowing against Cuccinelli right now.. and the biggest problem for him is that he just isn't a talented candidate that can stand up to a the spotlight.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, that's why it's a situation so unbelievable that he might actually win. I mean it's like imagining a situation where the Democrats won so many of these recent Senate seats. Their candidate sucked rear end, but they managed to pull it out because A) they kept their side of the field clear and B) the GOP candidate was unbelievably horrible. Terry is a horrible candidate, but he's unopposed on his side and he's running against Christine O'Donnell/Todd Akin levels of stupid.

I really, strongly dislike Terry McAuliffe and cannot believe that this is where Virginia is. At least in Texas our moron population of job-seeking migrants from Ohio, Michigan, Louisiana, New Mexico and all over the country screwed up an election where they had a decent choice in Houston's former mayor, Bill White. In Virginia you've got the slimiest Democratic bagman in recent memory running against a guy who would make Bill O'Reilly say, "Hey, wait a minute pal..." I feel for the educated populace who actually have a soul there.

Our politics have always been slimy as gently caress. And really McAuliffe is the perfect type of Democrat for the sort of Democrat we have here. It's all a bunch of well off, slimy as gently caress, condcending limo liberal types who have no problem loving over people they don't like and are firmly "gently caress you got mine", McAuliffe makes the local liberals look good honestly. The liberal part of VA is a bunch of white people who are Democratic government bagmen poo-poo'ing the poors and fly over people over glasses of white wine. And the Republicans here? Oh man red Virginia is crazy as gently caress, the sort of lunacy you'd think only existed in West Virginia, Alabama, and the most racist parts of Mississippi all rolled into one. It's a comedic horror show of hosed-up-ness. Remember when Borrat had those people at the rodeo talking openly about how they wanted to get the government to kill gay people? That was VA baby! And the part of VA between those areas, is hosed up poor and your typical Appilachian cluster gently caress that's always getting worse. The last area is Hampton which is nothing but military bases and a giant stretch of "America, gently caress yeah!" that exists entirely because of defense pork, though it's slightly saner than the rest of the state.

The only thing keeping the state from imploding is the non stop spigot of cash from DC and the fact that people have to pander so much to both the left and the right it's impossible to do anything without having half of the population that gives a poo poo beyond "can I buy food today" wanting to lynch you in the street.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

MaxxBot posted:

I find it hard to imagine that after the dems having had so much success with Obama being so much more likable and charismatic than McCain and Romney, that they would go for Rahm Emanuel who is the most unlikable shithead I could possibly think of. The average Democratic voter might not care about his terrible political positions but surely they would be turned off by him as a candidate.

Now my dream is Emmanuel vs. Christie and the first TV debate breaks down into them stepping away from the podiums, shouting and pointing at each other and yelling "gently caress you!" "No, gently caress YOU!"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

eSports Chaebol posted:

Now my dream is Emmanuel vs. Christie and the first TV debate breaks down into them stepping away from the podiums, shouting and pointing at each other and yelling "gently caress you!" "No, gently caress YOU!"

Ending in Rahm stabbing Christie with a steak knife screaming "DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Do read Christian Heinze's weekly recap and his Republican power rankings and Democratic power rankings for a bit of fun.

Also see Texas pondering a primary move to February, Missouri pondering a move to March, and Utah might not be able to hold a compliant primary.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

Joementum's link posted:

After eight years of an increasingly liberal Obama, activists will want to replace him with another liberal; in fact, they'll expect it. Why move to the middle when you've just had spectacular success with a liberal president?

Well that's certainly a thing. I guess I don't know who this Christian Heinze character is but it doesn't do wonders for my confidence in his analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

The Entire Universe posted:

Ending in Rahm stabbing Christie with a steak knife screaming "DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!"

Psshhh, like you could cut to Christie's vital organs with a mere steak knife.

• Locked thread