Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PrinceRandom posted:

A fun look at population density in the Arab League, and a comparison to the continental US in land area.

What's the weird break in the Nile just south of the Egypt/Sudan border? Lake Nasser?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

What's the weird break in the Nile just south of the Egypt/Sudan border? Lake Nasser?

No, I think Lake Nasser is mostly within Egypt (the biggest portions of it show on the map). It looks like it comprises the total area between the third and the second Cataracts of the Nile, so it could be natural? From the satellite photos it looks like that region has less flow than the south and north... Generally it seems like it takes a long time for man-made interferences in nature to have such a big impact on what would have been a very traditional living area.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 12, 2013

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Phlegmish posted:

I'd like to see the median income rather than per capita. The East Coast presumably has a lot of people (in the financial sector, for example :argh:) making obscene amounts of money, which brings up the average. And the cost of living is much higher there, as well.

1) Go here: http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer

2) Click "view more maps"

3) Select "median household income"

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

PrinceRandom posted:

A fun look at population density in the Arab League, and a comparison to the continental US in land area.

The Nile is freaking awesome. I wonder what Ancient Egyptians would say when they saw it now.

"Look, guys, the Pyramids are still standing!"

"gently caress the Pyramids! WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT?!" :catstare:

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Still including South Sudan is probably the most politically loaded thing about that map.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Retarded Goatee posted:

Still including South Sudan is probably the most politically loaded thing about that map.

The maps that compare the League's size with other countries include Israel.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Retarded Goatee posted:

I think it was made before the official split.

Faux Edit: It was made in 2009

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it

Apparently the flight path from Switzerland to Portugal because of a French ATC strike.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Captain Frigate posted:

Apparently the flight path from Switzerland to Portugal because of a French ATC strike.

... Why not go south through Italy & Spain?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

PrinceRandom posted:

French airspace extends out into the Mediterranean. It appears from that route that they flew along the Western border across the English Channel.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

PrinceRandom posted:

IIRC, the southern passage through Italy & Spain means going into Algerian airspace because France "mans" a chunk between the Blue-Med zone (Italy, Tunisia) and the Spain-Portugal zone. Going north was the only way to ensure not going outside the EU airspace, and therefore not being subject to customs requirements for non-EU flights.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So that one area on Egypt's southern border that nobody will claim because it's that useless has a population density of more then zero? That's sorta surprising.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fandyien posted:

So that one area on Egypt's southern border that nobody will claim because it's that useless has a population density of more then zero? That's sorta surprising.

Oh, it's not that it's useless. I suspect both Sudan and Egypt want Bir Tawil; it's just that they both want the Hala'ib Triangle more, so they'd rather stress that claim. Neither can actually claim Bir Tawil because claiming Bir Tawil would result in the other party claiming the Hala'ib Triangle ("Oh, if you accept your claim on Bir Tawil, then that means you accept OUR claim on the Hala'ib Triangle! Gotcha sucker!"), which is more valuable.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

There are even some towns there (sort of)! Via Wikipedia: "The major town in the area is Abu Ramad which lies 30 kilometres (19 mi) north west of Hala'ib on the Red Sea coast. Abu Ramad is the last destination of the buses that connect the area to Cairo and the other cities of Egypt such as Aswan, Marsa Alam and Qena. The only other populated place is the small village of Hadarba, south east of Hala'ib town on the coast." Also it appears that some nomadic tribes live in the area. I didn't find any population numbers, though.

3peat
May 6, 2010

A crime/murder rate map to go with that would be interesting

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is there a reason Montenegro has so many officers?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

3peat posted:

A crime/murder rate map to go with that would be interesting
Here you go. Based it off stats from Wikipedia.

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.

Vegetable posted:

Is there a reason Montenegro has so many officers?

Tiny population. At 865 per 100,000 it should have around 5500 officers, which doesn't seem that high.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
They are way beaten by the Vatican State with 15625 police officers per 100000 people :v:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Moldova is determined to be the worst European country in everything.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

They have fine wines from what I hear.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

PrinceRandom posted:

They have fine wines from what I hear.

That makes sense, on account of I'm pretty sure Moldova is also the per-capita leader of alcohol consumption in Europe. :v:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption

John Nance Garner
Aug 16, 2012

Bring your bourbon and cigars to the "Bureau of Education".

Fandyien posted:

That makes sense, on account of I'm pretty sure Moldova is also the per-capita leader of alcohol consumption in Europe. :v:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption

Palau loves their beer.

Oh, and Uganda is so high up in the 'other' category because of their moonshine. Thank you Vice.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

I've heard Moldova isn't all that bad (disclaimer: currently living in Ukraine).

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Kainser posted:

They are way beaten by the Vatican State with 15625 police officers per 100000 people :v:

The specific circumstances of the Vatican also mean that it has the highest crime rate in the world. Why? Because there are annually about 18 million visitors to the state, and that also means a lot of pickpocketing. In 1992, there were 455 Vatican citizens, with a recorded 397 civil (0.87 per capita) and 608 penal offences (1.33 per capita), adding up to a crime rate of 2.2 per capita :v:

Pictured: The world's smallest state at 0.17 sqm

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

In that vein, throughout the 1870s King Victor Emmanuel II offered Pope Pius Lateran City as a consolation prize for losing Rome. The Pope repeatedly reject the offer because he saw himself as the sole legitimate ruler of Rome. Had Pius accepted the offer, however, Vatican City would be nearly twice its current size.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

In the spirit of talking about alcohol, here are some maps based on the above link:

Can you guess in which countries people are dying of alcohol use disorders?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Is Estonia really that depressing to live in?

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Freudian posted:

Is Estonia really that depressing to live in?

If i wanted to be part of scandanavia and kept getting told i belonged in the balkans, i would be depressed too.

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

If i wanted to be part of scandanavia and kept getting told i belonged in the balkans, i would be depressed too.

I don't think anyone's telling that to Estonia.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skeleton Jelly posted:

Maybe they're really angry with Estonia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Skeleton Jelly posted:

It's not unusual to see people mistakenly call it a Balkan state though, even if that probably falls under the same header as people confusing Danish and Dutch.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not unusual to see people mistakenly call it a Balkan state though, even if that probably falls under the same header as people confusing Danish and Dutch.

Or Dutch and Deutsch. That one had me confused for years.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tony Jowns posted:

Or Dutch and Deutsch. That one had me confused for years.
At least that has the excuse of being the same word, just in two languages that have diverged. Danish/Dutch just has the D, and I suppose a bit of a libertine reputation?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Reminds me of the exchange between Jerry and George in an episode of Seinfeld:

GEORGE: What is Holland?

JERRY: What do you mean, 'what is it?' It's a country right next to Belgium.

GEORGE: No, that's the Netherlands.

JERRY: Holland *is* the Netherlands.

GEORGE: Then who are the Dutch?

Also, that scene is great because of this:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Buttery Pastry posted:

At least that has the excuse of being the same word, just in two languages that have diverged. Danish/Dutch just has the D, and I suppose a bit of a libertine reputation?

They're also pretty close to each other (more than Estonia and the Balkans anyway).

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

prefect posted:

"According to the Nebraska Liquor Control Commission, beer sales at Whiteclay's four liquor stores totalled 4.9 million cans in 2010 (~13,000 cans per day) for gross sales of $3 million."

Four liquor stores.

13,000 cans a day, but there's only around 30,000 people on the reservation, according to wiki. Good lord.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
I think the op meant the Baltics without really knowing what this whole thing meant.

3peat
May 6, 2010

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

What's wrong with the Balkans :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Depending on who you talk to, it's the Slovenes, Croats, Bosniaks, Serbs, Montenegrins, Kosovars, Albanians, MacedoniansSlavic FYROMian Imposters, Greeks, Bulgarians, Romanians, and Turks. And probably the Gypsies I guess.