Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yokai Watch 3 will be the next Earthbound, calling it now.

The trailer showing how everything is American is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

This is like racism's final form.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Random question but are there any games similar to Earthbound that's worth playing? I know LISA and thought it was alright, and Undertale has me interested but kinda blind on other things.

Dingaling just put out DLC for LISA this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZuI3ZkCHfs

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've heard a ton of positive things about YIIK: A Post Modern RPG, but it's still in development.

http://yiikrpg.com/

Like just a constant string of people who played it at a con comparing it to Earthbound on Twitter.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 30, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

So are the monsters USA folklore poo poo? That could be neat.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Light Gun Man posted:

So are the monsters USA folklore poo poo? That could be neat.

A space capsule alien that also has an afro.

I'm going to say things like Bigfoot, Murder-cars, Hookhand Hitch hikers, and other things of American folklore probably won't be accurately depicted.

*edit*

The Yokai trailer points out black people as a feature.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Citizens of Earth has some clear Earthbound inspired features, it's worth a short.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Sadly, though the music for Joyful owns, the DLC is not very good at all.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I saw this on Youtube, it was new to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teL11bwR8HA

I think it is worth a watch, obvious end of Earthbound / Mother 2 spoilers (but we've all beaten Earthbound or why are we in this thread?!)

Basically an artistic version of the last boss fight with some of the game mixed in.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Random question but are there any games similar to Earthbound that's worth playing? I know LISA and thought it was alright, and Undertale has me interested but kinda blind on other things.

OFF and Space Funeral might be right up your alley

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ezzer posted:

OFF and Space Funeral might be right up your alley

I played OFF awhile back, kinda forgot most of the stuff about it other than Pepper Steak, haven't heard of Space Funeral though.

Really thanks for all the suggestions, appreciated.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Every single last one of you in this thread needs to go buy and play Undertale right this second.

If you're a waffling idiot maybe go play the demo first, it's free,

http://undertale.com/

Automatic Jill
Jan 27, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Every single last one of you in this thread needs to go buy and play Undertale right this second.

Is it finally out?! I remember playing the demo a while back and boy did it scratch that Earthbound itch like no other game I've played since. Spider bake sale!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Agreed. If LISA is Earthbound but post-apocalyptic and with wrestling then Undertale is Earthbound but fantasy and with furries.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Agreed. If LISA is Earthbound but post-apocalyptic and with wrestling then Undertale is Earthbound but fantasy and with skeleton dating.

FTFY

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sleeveless posted:

Earthbound but fantasy and with furries.

So everything that made Earthbound good and cool removed then??

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
That is completely inaccurate they're monsters. And you get a cell phone.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
You have a cellphone in Earthbound, so that's nothing new. :colbert:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'll second this

It's honest to god on par with earthbound/mother 3 to me

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

That is completely inaccurate they're monsters.

"monsters" :furcry:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the question is, can you use a flamethrower on them

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It's really good, play it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

the question is, can you use a flamethrower on them

It's a game where nobody has to die.

But you don't have to play like that.

Good luck going down that path though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Undertale is really loving good and you are a gigantic baby if like 3 completely harmless designs in the game put you off of it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Really, "Earthbound but fantasy" was the part I was taking "offense" at. :v:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Undertale is really loving good and you are a gigantic baby if like 3 completely harmless designs in the game put you off of it.

Nobody's actually upset, it's just funny that a guy who worked on Homestuck managed to find a way to make his own original game even more Internet by having a cast of furries and jokes about Comic Sans and Papyrus.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Light Gun Man posted:

Really, "Earthbound but fantasy" was the part I was taking "offense" at. :v:

Honestly it's not terribly much like Earthbound either. It seems if a indie dev make a quirky RPG it's mercilessly slapped as Earthbound even if the combat and everything else is 100% different.

Like not saying there's a few playful jabs, but there's jabs at everything in it.

It's a real good game.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
I like EarthBound a lot. I like it enough that I don't post in this thread, despite a very strong desire, because I sometimes see people saying they're trying it for the first time and I don't want to spoil anything for them. I liked it enough to have spent a tremendous amount of time doing god knows what weird things related to it. It's probably why I do what I do in general. I'm currently getting paid to make EarthBound-centric content. It's one of the reasons I think games can be truly worthwhile experiences. I get irked seeing people say something is 'like EarthBound' because those games never seem to measure up.

And I like Undertale better. I think it's a better game. A more interesting experience.

I'm definitely biased towards Undertale, but I'm biased as hell towards EarthBound too.

This isn't a comparative thing though, just speaking as a guy who likes EarthBound tremendously.

If you like EarthBound, even just a little bit, there is no excuse or issue that can be thunk up that should preclude you from trying Undertale. It's great stuff.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
why is it good though

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Undertale is from the same spiritual lineage as Earthbound, if a phrase has to be used to compare it. Not a SUCCESSOR, just a concept in the same house of design. Undertale is good because it's a game that actually works hard to play with expectations and use the medium of being an interactive game to have fun for your sake and its own. It also has good writing, likeable characters, really good music, a shitload of actually legit different endings (and not just one line variations) based on what you do during the game, and for an RPG it's short in a good way, in that it's succinct and doesn't drag itself along, keeping itself tightly designed. It's very clearly someone's labor of love that strikes the same tones that Earthbound did for a lot of people. That's why it's good.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So how will someone find Undertale if they preferred Mother 3? :can:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Undertale is probably the funniest game I have played ever.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i'd play undertale if i could have it on a portable platform.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
gently caress I keep forgetting to buy undertale but I'm v happy it's doing so well

Also I'm sure part of the reason it's so earthboundy is because Radiation used to be p big in the EB community as well, I always assumed that was why :v:

robodex fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 18, 2015

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

DoctorWhat posted:

i'd play undertale if i could have it on a portable platform.

Same here. Anyone know if there're plans to have it ported?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Undertale's skeleton dating is the best videogame romance since Cyberdwarf's pursuit of WNBA applebottom in Barkley: Shut Up And Jam: Gaiden.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I had no idea about the Homestuck connection, and I'm kind of glad I didn't prior to playing. I'll be that guy and say it might've put me off to it, initially.

I'm enjoying Undertale a lot, and have already started a pacifist run on my main comp. I've been playing it on my netbook, and it's a joy to go through it using two different play styles (with noticeably varying outcomes). I'd be kicking myself if I avoided it for such a stupid reason.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 19, 2015

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

So how will someone find Undertale if they preferred Mother 3? :can:

Mother 3 is one of my favorite games of all time. I don't want to say it's straight up better because I'm still on the high of just finishing it but it's drat sure In the same ballpark of goodness

I can't wait to see how mother 4 stacks up because undertale raised the bar high

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 19, 2015

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
While we are on the topic of indie RPGs that were inspired by Earthbound, has anyone played LISA yet? I've been meaning to pick it up after I'm finished with Undertale (which is a fantastic game by the way) and I just want to hear an opinion on the game before I buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Thwack! posted:

While we are on the topic of indie RPGs that were inspired by Earthbound, has anyone played LISA yet? I've been meaning to pick it up after I'm finished with Undertale (which is a fantastic game by the way) and I just want to hear an opinion on the game before I buy it.

It's great. The soundtrack, story, and characters are top notch

It's way darker than undertale but it has it's funny moments. Mechanically it's interesting because you make a party from dudes who each have their own unique skills.

People are pretty mixed on the dlc but I can't speak of it myself

• Locked thread