Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Has there been any good reviews of Dresden Accelerated? It looks good on paper (well, PDF), but has anyone actually used it to play a game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You know, I haven't even read it yet. I should do something about that.

A new World of Adventure came out today: Andromeda. It's classic SF and has special rules for use with the Deck of Fate (although there's a chart so you don't need the cards). If you've got a group that likes Asimov et al I'd give it a recommendation.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

You know, I haven't even read it yet. I should do something about that.

A new World of Adventure came out today: Andromeda. It's classic SF and has special rules for use with the Deck of Fate (although there's a chart so you don't need the cards). If you've got a group that likes Asimov et al I'd give it a recommendation.
Oh, nice. Thanks for the heads-up; I didn't the Fatereon notification yet.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I haven't played it yet but I like it from reading it. I'm more interested in using the mantles and neat things they're doing with conditions than I am in actually playing it though. This isn't a knock against the game really, just as someone who doesn't read the books the setting just strikes me as a very by the numbers urban fantasy with every sort of supernatural thrown in. You could use it to play a game where everyone had the same mantle if you wanted to play a game of all wizards, but I think that would end up feeling very samey.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
That Dresden File Accelerated draft is pretty much impossible to find, got some real loyal fans out there.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
They sent it out to all the backers of the original fate kickstarter. It's in the same place as all the other kickstarter pdf rewards.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They meant :filez:

Speaking of Fate Accelerated games though, you can get the Accelerated version of Rockalypse as a PWYW title right now. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I like the premise enough that I backed it on Kickstarter for the Fate Core version.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Does anyone know a blog or video series that sort of does a top to bottom set-up and play-through of a sample scenario with Players creating their characters and then moving through a scenario for Dresden Files, maybe even with accelerated rules? I'd be interested to see that.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Did anyone pick up majestic 12? How was it?

E: Any has anyone made any progress grafting a AW style flowing combat in?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 3, 2017

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I liked M12. It's mostly useful if you are actually planning on running an M12 game or another one where you are part of a large beaurocracy though, the level of detail isn't needed to use them as antagonists and there isn't really that much neat you can steal for a Tesladyne based game. The new modes are all good and the requisition system is a good alternative to brainstorming for a certain kind of game.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I loved Maj:12. You never get to play as Evil Spies.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The Mission Briefing/Requisitions is also a good steal if, say, you wanted to run Robo's 11, a game of being smooth criminal operatives brought together for a complicated Heist.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Did anyone else get the advanced copy of Dresden Accelerated? I'm working on setting up our first game, and I've got some characters that want to operate on different scales, can I allow that? Or do I make them all select from or below a certain scale.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I ran a M12 game and it is was perfect for it. On the GM's side, M12 runs a little easier just because a mission based approach to games works so, so, so, much better from a planning perspective and the military leadership and genre/setting conceits makes it easier to plan around player intentions. And, if that sounds bad for players, the weirdness of AR is still very much present and you can play things like retired Not-Captain America, like Golden Bee did.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Texibus posted:

Did anyone else get the advanced copy of Dresden Accelerated? I'm working on setting up our first game, and I've got some characters that want to operate on different scales, can I allow that? Or do I make them all select from or below a certain scale.

I'm not sure what you mean by different scales; do you mean magic types and normal folks in the same group? I haven't finished reading the PDF yet but I think they're reworked things so you can have people at different "power levels" together without having to do stuff like refresh penalties and such.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Covok posted:

I ran a M12 game and it is was perfect for it. On the GM's side, M12 runs a little easier just because a mission based approach to games works so, so, so, much better from a planning perspective and the military leadership and genre/setting conceits makes it easier to plan around player intentions. And, if that sounds bad for players, the weirdness of AR is still very much present and you can play things like retired Not-Captain America, like Golden Bee did.

That was an awesome game and it added some crunch to Fate w/o overdoing it.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by different scales; do you mean magic types and normal folks in the same group? I haven't finished reading the PDF yet but I think they're reworked things so you can have people at different "power levels" together without having to do stuff like refresh penalties and such.

Nah, it's something kinda different, even though most of the magical folks are operating on a higher scale than the normies. As far as I can tell it affects your challenge rolls against other players and NPCs by granting a bonus of shifts or re-rolls depending on how wide of gap your operating scales are from one another, the levels are: Mundane, Supernatural, Otherworldly, Legendary, and God-like.

the old rules were pick a level for the characters like waist deep, everyone can play a waist deep character and down. Now it's fine to play any of those characters on the scale, but how do you balance it?

Texibus fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 18, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh, I get what you mean. Looking ahead in the book they do pretty much say to abandon the concept of mantles being "balanced" against each other.

I've found with Fate that balancing characters against each other isn't easy to do mechanically due things like stunts and aspects being inherently situational. You're better off working adventures around the strengths and weaknesses of characters; for example, while a wizard character can blow stuff up pretty well, but a mortal cop can access a lot of online information that a wizard couldn't get to.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Makes sense. While I didn't care much for playing D&D, man was it nice for the GM to have all these pre-made scenarios ready for any character type to drop in, and all they'd have to do is kick back and watch the PCs get through. It seems like when I go hunting for those type of scenarios under this system they're basically written for specific characters to work through. I'm sure FATE is going to be more rewarding once I get this poo poo rolling, but gently caress does it seem like a hassle to get things moving.

Also for folks looking to get Dresden accelerated you don't need to be a kickstarter backer anymore to get a .PDF preview copy, all you need to do is pre-order the hard-copy and the .PDF is available immediately.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 18, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Texibus posted:

Makes sense. While I didn't care much for playing D&D, man was it nice for the GM to have all these pre-made scenarios ready for any character type to drop in, and all they'd have to do is kick back and watch the PCs get through. It seems like when I go hunting for those type of scenarios under this system they're basically written for specific characters to work through. I'm sure FATE is going to be more rewarding once I get this poo poo rolling, but gently caress does it seem like a hassle to get things moving.
You're not going to find a lot of pre-made adventures because Fate is intended to be personalized. You create adventures by taking the stuff everyone came up with during city creation or whatever, then mix that with the characters' high concepts and troubles to see what ingredients you have.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The thing about scale is that it applies at the GM's discretion, just because you're a true Fae who ostensibly exists two steps up the Scale ladder from the ready of your party didn't mean that you always act at that scale in everything you do.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I don't know if this has already been discussed, since this project is quite old, but I'd still like to hear the opinion of people familiar with FAE about this hack made by fellow goon TrickyDickNixon. It's called That Which Sleeps, based on a failed kickstarter, and it's about being an ancient evil awoken after aeons of slumber, ready to destroy the world or accomplish other evil agendas. Basically, you can be Cthullhu, or Dracula, or the alien mothership from Indipendence Day.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BbUfGmPBAwHbrkxGFw2L6Xt2r8nsq_F6NH2BdCWeG5c/edit

It's a bit more board game-y than your typical FAE game but I think it's interesting.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 5, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Speaking of doing an afterschool cartoon in Fate...

Awhile back when reading Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye, I was inspired to do a Fate conversion. One of my key goals was to try and make it as painless to convert characters from the old Tech Specs and the Transformers Universe writeups, where they provide all your stats (specs) and most of your aspects. It's far from perfect and somewhat unfinished, but has more than enough to use for a game. Since I'm not certain I'll put more work into it, I thought I'd just share it and see what people think.

Transformers in Fate

Enjoy! Or don't, that's cool too.

I know this is like literally two years late but I just got into Fate and seeing this helped me decide what I'm finally going to run in it. Time to dust off my old embarassing Transformers fanfiction for a setting so I can help my players make all-new embarrassing fanfiction.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Ha ha, well, I'm still around in you have any questions! And thanks.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blockhouse posted:

I know this is like literally two years late but I just got into Fate and seeing this helped me decide what I'm finally going to run in it. Time to dust off my old embarassing Transformers fanfiction for a setting so I can help my players make all-new embarrassing fanfiction.

Oh man. Here's the gist of the Transformers setting I wrote for my RPG group a few years ago and didn't run, if you're looking for ideas:

So, for starters as basic background and character foundation material, the setting is based on the Cybertronian society presented in Transformers Animated. The Matrix of Leadership is gone, for whatever reason (this is a good mystery to fill in if it becomes Interesting), and nowadays Prime, or Convoy, depending on how weeby your group is, is just a title you get if you're sufficiently high-ranking. Typically a Prime fulfills a government role or otherwise just leads a squad of Autobot agents. So, Optimus Prime was just a dude, Jazz Prime, Sentinel Prime, etc, all the way up to Ultra Magnus, who was at the top in a kind of Grand General/Prime Minister type of role. Autobot society strongly values adherence to your social role, and only really celebrates diversity up to the point that you're able to use your protoform's unique traits to excel at your lot in life. The "quirky" ones get assigned to outfits that do busywork in deep space or something so that they don't gum up the works back in the homeworld.

The Decepticons at this point were lying low after suffering heavy losses in the war that ultimately led to the remaining Cons on cybertron being relegated to a sort of apartheid underclass that lives in slums or deep-space outposts and is generally ignored, and in particular not supported, by the Autobot ruling class. Lots of robot poverty, lots of desperation and resentment, but a lack of leadership or direction since this is the period in which Megatron was a disembodied head drifting through space in the general direction of Earth.

At this point we probably diverge from Transformers Animated continuity in an attempt to make the campaign more interesting, and this is where you start asking the players some questions. Are there already Predacons? The Autobots, and probably the Decepticons, too, are revolted by the concept or organic life. It's gross. But, the Decepticons are rebels and opportunists at heart, so are there already Predacons? Or is Black Arachnia the sole existing specimen of a Transformer with an organic altmode? Or has that not happened to her yet, because Megatron's head was adrift for like 4 million years and so we have a lot of wiggle room? Does Soundwave already exist, as a regular-rear end Decepticon, instead of his Transformers Animated incarnation, or does it not matter because nobody is interested in him? Things like that.

At some point, not too long ago from the start of the campaign, but long enough ago for it to "a problem", a contingent of remaining active Decepticons, led by whoever you think would be interesting here: Soundwave, Shockwave, Starscream, Original The Character (it doesn't really matter here in the setup phase), intercepted and concealed a transmission from an Autobot space probe. A distant planet was discovered, apparently seeded with Energon by the ancients in a fashion similar to Earth in Beast Wars, to great effect. The planet is ridiculously rich in Energon, but teeming with organic life (ew!). A group of Decepticons acted on this intel, and traveled to that world probably several years ago, where they have been surveilling the planet and probably embedding themselves in with organized crime (more on that below). The player characters here will be whichever squad of weirdos and misfits Autobot Command sent out to the new planet with a Prime babysitter to capture the Decepticon rebels and try to secure the new Energon resource. Players have to decide among themselves who is going to play the Prime, and what that entails, because that's way more interesting than taking orders from an NPC Prime.

The planet is, let's face it, the main character here. Transformers is dumb as hell in a really specific way that makes aesthetics incredibly important, because what matters most about Transformers is the cool poo poo they can turn into. So here's what I thought was cool in 2007 or so:
Energon saturation has hosed this planet up in some pretty significant ways. Most of the populated land masses are huge, levitating islands at various altitudes, some height above a warm, life-rich ocean (because of all the heat from the planet's partially-exposed core). It's very cloudy and misty, but many of the islands are high enough up to see some clear sky, too. The organic civilization (previously this phrase was considered an oxymoron) here is at a specific point where they've mostly mastered their own hosed-up planet, but don't understand how to use Energon for anything besides an electricity source. They haven't even (officially) figured out how to make it levitate the way it levitates their land masses. Because of the isolation of chunks of land from each other, historically, two things are notable:
Cultures and governments have formed into individual city-states, typically holding sovereignty over one island, or sometimes a group of close-together islands, and, the field of aviation and aeronautics is extremely advanced compared to other areas. The people on this world figured out ballooning or paragliding instead of boats, and had a wide variety of mechanically-operated or steam powered airships, gliders, and simple planes before discovering internal combustion about 20 years ago. This world has a 1920s gangster movie aesthetic, dawgs. They've got old-timey solid-steel cars with lots of rounded edges and ridiculous fenders. They got blimps everywhere. You better believe that the first proper Decepticon they track down will transform into a robot with a Tommy Gun.

It almost doesn't matter what kind of beings the locals are. They could be humans, which is interesting in and of itself (why are there humans on another planet?). They could be some kinda lizard or bird people. They could be Star Trek aliens (humans with weird heads). But they should have an almost suspiciously earth-like culture for the time period, with variation for different geographical locations if the game ends up traveling.

These were some ideas that I threw out there at the time for characters:
An autobot wannabe bounty hunter, who infiltrates the campaign's main city via the police force. He transforms into a completely bitchin police car, and utilizes a Minicon partner that either uses holograms to disguise itself as a native police recruit, or actually bit the bullet and copied some person on the street as an organic altmode, which has its own set of issues at this point in "the timeline" (biological structures have jammed his/her T-Cog, preventing them from choosing a new form in the future, biological organs/mechanisms are alien and incompatible with robot parts (ie, the organic mode's mouth doesn't just stop producing saliva while it's hanging out on the back of robot mode's head, and so on). Could also be interesting if the person the Minicon copied turns out to be important in some way.

An academic type who long theorized that organic life forms could develop intellect, provided that the weird meat they apparently use to process information about their surroundings developed into a sufficiently complex structure. This got him laughed out of the mainstream science community and landed him in this gig, which is the definition of irony. He wants to record every facet of this planet's strange fluke of nature for the edification of future cybertronians. He probably has one of those goofy altmodes like a camera or a telescope, but it could be interesting if he turns into an airship, or is one of those more proactive transformers that's constantly scanning new altmodes to facilitate infiltration.

A Decepticon turncoat, who was sent here to help root out his former associates and is more or less in the custody of the party's Prime. Probably would turn into a tank or a biplane if he could lay eyes on one, but it could be interesting if he's a character like Knockout who just turns into the sickest hot rod he can find, for narcissism reasons. There's a lot of room for variation in this one. He could be a begrudging ally of convenience who's just doing this to save his own skin, or he could be a more nuanced Dinobot/Armada Starscream "Decepticon with a sense of honor" who's not comfortable with pulling alien civilizations into his own peoples' conflict.

I pitched this campaign as something between like a Transformers and a Star Trek, where there are going to be awesome car/robot fights, but also there's going to be a lot of exploration of this world, and what it's like for cybernetic life forms to be essentially encountering intelligent organic life for the first time after previously just seeing like "spider planet, fish planet, horrible ooze planet", and what the further implications of heavy energon saturation in the planet's crust are, as well as possibly answering questions about why this world (in the campaign's local area) just shook out to be like 1920s Chicago, or is possibly also straight-up populated with literal humans, if that's what you went with.

Anyway, this has been a peek into what I thought was cool while I was in college. Please understand.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm jumping on the bandwagon like a year or so late and making a FATE setting/hack called ICE

Its a sort of dark fantasy ice age caveman thing, where you gain powers from eating the blood of big animals or making their bodies into items for a longer lasting/less draining version of the powers. This is all wrapped up in a kind of ritualistic pre-historic vibe while also being that whole 'fantasy in the ruins of sci-fi' thing. Its pretty close to being done but I was wondering if it'd be cool to ask if anyone would like to read or play this before I put it up for sale, no NDA nonsense or anything, just let me know what you think/if i'm missing something terribly obvious. Its still a WIP but pretty far along.

The main new mechanic is "Animalism" where you basically have a third stress track that tracks "Animalism" that fills up as you activate your powers. You gain these powers by eating the flesh of the monsters you kill, or by making amulets, weapons and so on from their bodies.
Anyway here's the link Its out now!, let me know if you see anything I missed or just any feedback or whatever.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 28, 2017

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I'm currently planning a fate core game in a high fantasy setting. I'm in the process of designing some sample stunts and I was wondering if there's any advice around about designing stunts with drawbacks.

For example, here are some of my Barbarian stunt ideas:

Throw weapon: You can attack an enemy one zone away with Melee by throwing your weapon at them. I feel like being weaponless until you run over to pick it up or draw another weapon next turn is not too big a cost for this. (I'm gonna rule that characters need a weapon to defend with Melee, otherwise they defend by dodging attacks with Athletics, or with Physique using a stunt)

Rage: Gain +2 to attacks for the scene, but you can only take combat actions. If you want to take other actions you must succeed on a Will roll at a difficulty equal to x+number of enemies still standing to end your rage. Would having this block conceding be too far?

Kenpachi: No mechanics for this one yet. It's based off of a fight in Bleach where one character is fighting a blind swordsman in the dark but gains the upper hand by letting the blind guy stab him, revealing his position. General idea is that once per session you let yourself get wounded in order to get a huge bonus to your next attack. What would be an acceptable sacrifice and what would be balanced bonus? Say you take a moderate consequence but the enemy can't defend next turn?

Also, any advice on magic? I'm trying to decide between just Aspects + Stunts or the School system from Freeport Fate.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Looking into retrofitting the Atomic Robo ruleset for a Fallout game. Is that a good choice?

The game will be more along the lines of FO1/2/NV, less of an emphasis on bombast that the Bethsoft games. So I feel like "Action Science!", as a rule, will be less common. Am I misreading Atomic Robo TT's intent?

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I'm trying to get my head around the Ehdrighor magic system. For the life of me I can't figure out what the specific mysteries skills do. The actual rolls involve the skills assosiated with the tradition rather than the mystery itself. Have I overlooked something?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Basic Chunnel posted:

Looking into retrofitting the Atomic Robo ruleset for a Fallout game. Is that a good choice?

The game will be more along the lines of FO1/2/NV, less of an emphasis on bombast that the Bethsoft games. So I feel like "Action Science!", as a rule, will be less common. Am I misreading Atomic Robo TT's intent?

I think it's really going to depend on what you're doing. I think Atomic Robo would translate really well to a Brotherhood of Steel or Enclave-oriented game, where the heroes are well-equipped and have access to pre-war resources.

I think it's going to be hard to translate it into a like a hard-scrabble apocalyptic wilderness survival narrative, because stuff like Mega-Stunts still guarantees that a player character stands head and shoulders above any normal person.

Uh, that said, I think you should definitely crib Robo's approach to skills/modes and, by extension, aspects. Even if you don't have mega-stunts, weird modes/weird skills can contribute a lot of flavor. This is where you'd have a Super Mutant Mode that includes the skill Brutality, which lets the character overcome physical obstacles by ripping them apart, and defends against physical attacks by having them just bounce off.
Under Atomic Robo proper, you'd probably use that mode to permit a Mega-Stunt that includes like super strength, radiation resistance, and some variety of bulletproof, but in doing so you'd be making a character who is so *capable* that it's hard to imagine them struggling to survive or being seriously endangered by a bunch of normals with poorly-maintained rifles.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
So I hacked together a cthulhu scenario with fate and went overkill with making it a bit more board gamey since we're all horrible at keeping track of things.. oh and it's based in Sweden instead!

This was our first roleplaying adventure ever; characters smashed hobos with table legs, found (and kept) used condoms for later use, went crazy and shat themselves when bodies filled with spiders exploded like sausages so I guess it was pretty successful overall!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

deadly_pudding posted:

I think it's really going to depend on what you're doing. I think Atomic Robo would translate really well to a Brotherhood of Steel or Enclave-oriented game, where the heroes are well-equipped and have access to pre-war resources.

I think it's going to be hard to translate it into a like a hard-scrabble apocalyptic wilderness survival narrative, because stuff like Mega-Stunts still guarantees that a player character stands head and shoulders above any normal person.

Uh, that said, I think you should definitely crib Robo's approach to skills/modes and, by extension, aspects. Even if you don't have mega-stunts, weird modes/weird skills can contribute a lot of flavor. This is where you'd have a Super Mutant Mode that includes the skill Brutality, which lets the character overcome physical obstacles by ripping them apart, and defends against physical attacks by having them just bounce off.
Under Atomic Robo proper, you'd probably use that mode to permit a Mega-Stunt that includes like super strength, radiation resistance, and some variety of bulletproof, but in doing so you'd be making a character who is so *capable* that it's hard to imagine them struggling to survive or being seriously endangered by a bunch of normals with poorly-maintained rifles.
I appreciate the feedback! I should say that I'm not frontloading survival, so much. It's essentially a FONV sequel (the original PbP game that we'd be reviving is here). So we're playing in a post-post-apocalypse (on the verge of post-post-post-apocalypse, admittedly), so there's industrialized agriculture and regional governments and the like, as opposed to FO1 / FO3 post-apocalypse.

Basically we're looking at non-hardcore FONV, or less generously, a reskin of your typical D&D setting - there's wilderness with adventure and danger, but reasonably stable civilization with general stores and taverns not far from most stuff, and the characters aren't exactly superheroes but they're heroic, not average folk. So maybe a more tonally subdued Atomic Robo is what's called for.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 27, 2017

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I just finished Ice, the setting that I linked a preview build for earlier in the thread, and it's now for sale on DriveThru!

Ice is kind of a dark fantasy survival RPG, set in a tribal caveman-fantasy ice age on top the ruins of a sci-fi setting. The core mechanic is "Animalism" where you make totems out of the animals you kill, or drink their blood/eat their heart to gain special powers at the expense of a stress track. If the stress track fills up too much (you take on too many powers) you go feral.

Anyway check it out here, 30% goon discount

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
How much set-up do I really need to jump into running a FAE game? I've read the rulebook and think I get the important stuff. I do have a premade setting I could use (the Gods and Monsters setting), but have been procrastinating on an Amber-ish game for a while and thought maybe I should just go for it.

Also, Nemesis Of Moles, I snapped up a copy of Ice. Thanks!

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 10, 2017

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

ibntumart posted:

How much set-up do I really need to jump into running a FAE game? I've read the rulebook and think I get the important stuff. I do have a premade setting I could use (the Gods and Monsters setting), but have been procrastinating on an Amber-ish game for a while and thought maybe I should just go for it.

Also, Nemesis Of Moles, I snapped up a copy of Ice. Thanks!

Hey thanks! Let me know what you think, the main feedback I've had so far is its a bit short and lacking in some specific areas of Lore, so I'm gonna make some free mini-expansions whenever I get time to.

As for setup time? If you have a premade setting just jump right in imo. I love the whole setting building aspect of a few Fate games but FAE is pretty trivial to run on the fly if you've ever run a game before ever.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Hey thanks! Let me know what you think, the main feedback I've had so far is its a bit short and lacking in some specific areas of Lore, so I'm gonna make some free mini-expansions whenever I get time to.

I'm planning to go through it tonight, so will do!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

As for setup time? If you have a premade setting just jump right in imo. I love the whole setting building aspect of a few Fate games but FAE is pretty trivial to run on the fly if you've ever run a game before ever.

Do you mean run *any* game ever or run a Fate/FAE game before ever? Because as far as Fate goes, my only experience is trying run Diaspora and never getting past the system creation part. (Which mind you was a lot of fun.)

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

So long as you have a grasp on the ruleset, I mean any game. Fate, and especially FAE are really simple systems that are super easy to get going. You or your party might not fully grasp, say, aspects or invokes or creating advantages till later but getting the ball rolling is really easy in Fate imo

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I've just kind of discovered FATE and I'm kinda interested in running a small scenario with some friends. I've been reading through some of the rules and this thread, I have a kind of specific scenario in mind but it seems like the situation/scenario building should come down to the players? Will this system still work for me if I have a specific direction I want the scenario to go (Or at least start in)? I'm not opposed to throwing in references to whatever my players come up with either.

I've GM'd games of D&D and Mutants and Masterminds in the past so this is a new concept for me.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I've just kind of discovered FATE and I'm kinda interested in running a small scenario with some friends. I've been reading through some of the rules and this thread, I have a kind of specific scenario in mind but it seems like the situation/scenario building should come down to the players? Will this system still work for me if I have a specific direction I want the scenario to go (Or at least start in)? I'm not opposed to throwing in references to whatever my players come up with either.

I've GM'd games of D&D and Mutants and Masterminds in the past so this is a new concept for me.

It's possible to run it kind of like a D&D GM-Driven game, but you have to be willing to make some concessions. Much like Apocalypse/Dungeon World, FATE works most optimally when you "draw maps, but leave blank spaces". Many of FATE's fundamental mechanics involve players declaring a fact about a person, place, or scenario, so you have to be ready to accept that those facts are now true.

As the GM, that's not going to get in the way of broad strokes. You can know who the antagonist(s) is, and what their plot is broadly, but the details will sometimes come down to what the players declare as discoveries during investigation or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

deadly_pudding posted:

It's possible to run it kind of like a D&D GM-Driven game, but you have to be willing to make some concessions. Much like Apocalypse/Dungeon World, FATE works most optimally when you "draw maps, but leave blank spaces". Many of FATE's fundamental mechanics involve players declaring a fact about a person, place, or scenario, so you have to be ready to accept that those facts are now true.

As the GM, that's not going to get in the way of broad strokes. You can know who the antagonist(s) is, and what their plot is broadly, but the details will sometimes come down to what the players declare as discoveries during investigation or whatever.

Ah ok. That sounds pretty good to me. I don't suppose there's any decent examples of how a usual session goes? If anyone knows of any good videos of a group playing through one that might give me some ideas as well as maybe how to introduce people to the idea.