Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus Christ, Michelle Monaghan was off the charts in this episode. And "If you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself." was ice loving cold :stare:

Marty fighting the kid at the beginning and Cohle at the end seemed so obviously fake, like faker than people fighting in TV shows usually is, but I'm glad we got to see him and Cohle duke it out.

The end with them meeting up again in the present and Marty pulling out his gun got my heart racing too. I know I said this last week, but I'm pretty pumped to see where they're taking all this.

There's only two episodes left before we get a new season with an all new plot and all new characters, so for everything to be wrapped up neatly, the next two episodes are gonna have to move at breakneck speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You really have to appreciate writers who know the right time to throw subtlety out the window. "I'm the person least in need of counseling in this entire state" jump cut to Rust getting stumbling drunk by himself shining a flashlight around his apartment decorated with murder pictures to throw shadows from a set of deer antlers. I nearly had to pause the episode so I wasn't still laughing when he opened the door for Maggie.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

People talk about McConaughey's performance, which is excellent, but Harrelson is doing a great job too. The way he switches between goofy manchild and barely contained, forehead vein popping rage is awesome.

The guy is basically this mass of frustrated, undirected rage contained by this thin veneer of "Hey, I'm just a good guy doing what good guy's are supposed to do." It's a great deconstruction of everything a straight-man/good cop is supposed to be. Harrelson does an amazing job and if nothing else True Detective should be remembered for being a story where they took the idea of a wacky cop and a straight cop teaming up and turned it on it's head by showing how much more hosed-up and terrible the straight cop was than the wacky cop.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It isn't unprovoked. Rust is disgusted with Marty and the whole police department for turning a blind eye to what he sees as the continued defiling of women and children through out the poor community. Just because the characters in the show don't behave like impenetrable enigmas doesn't make them bland or static.

I'm personally much more interested in what this show has to say about human characters then any unseen mystery that rests beneath.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Periodiko posted:

He was having a very clearheaded, reflective moment shining a flashlight through a set of deer horns at a map of Louisiana and photos of dead bodies.

I'm pretty sure I'm being trolled at this point, but I can't help it: you HAVE to acknowledge that even in your weird version of events, Tuttle knows who Cohle is, and probably has a big file's worth of dirt on him that includes the fact that he's an alcoholic.

The whole scene was basically about both characters acknowledging they know the other's poo poo without saying it out loud. It's why Cohle didn't bother following up with the clerical dude, he got what he needed to know, that Tuttle was in on it on some level, and knew that Cohle would find nothing in the files.

Yeah I liked that the show went with him not bothering with the files and clerical guy. If the guy is willing to let you look, then nothing in the files is worth looking at.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In addition to Tuttle's jab at alcoholism, bringing up the policeman's charity was super sly of him and the delivery was made with no winks or nudges.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

MaoistBanker posted:

I think this is the point where we should agree that this thread should be closed. If you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself.

Man that's a versatile line isn't it.

Also did anyone notice the music playing in the mental hospital (or whatever it was) was the music playing in Silence of the Lambs when Lecter kills the guards in the courthouse and escapes (90% sure its Gould playing The Goldberg Variations but my knowledge of classical is pathetic at best).

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm personally much more interested in what this show has to say about human characters then any unseen mystery that rests beneath.

Same here.

olylifter posted:

Also did anyone notice the music playing in the mental hospital (or whatever it was) was the music playing in Silence of the Lambs when Lecter kills the guards in the courthouse and escapes (90% sure its Gould playing The Goldberg Variations but my knowledge of classical is pathetic at best).

It was. Also stoked on them using Waymore's Blues when Marty heads over to the bar. A little on the nose but gently caress, it's Waylon Jennings.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 24, 2014

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

:siren: Episode 7 Spoilers/Speculation Ahead :siren:

I just solved the case. Behold!

http://imgur.com/a/L9xil

Bro Dad fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 24, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Crisco Kid posted:

The Rust and Maggie affair was likewise an obvious conflict and therefore annoying. The one thing that saved the scene was how calculating Maggie was and how both of them behaved at the end, but it still seemed very bizarre for Rust's character. Yeah, the scene set him up with excuses, but that's what it felt like: rear end-covering rationalizations, a set-up that doesn't feel right even though the writing tries to stuff it with logical justifications (and considering how lucid Rust can be after doing a shitton of drugs, even "he's drunk" isn't a very strong excuse.)

Is it that hard to believe that underneath all of his nihilistic brooding he just wanted some pussy?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Rust seduction scene was pitch perfect

ekalblake
Dec 21, 2012
per imdb,

glenn fleshler (aka big-as-gently caress lawnmower man) has a pretty large bit in boardwalk AND shows back up in ep 8. pretty easy to tell hes our SPAGET

also props to the writer- said he wasnt pullin any lazy gotcha moments, and the shows sticking to it. things are pretty straight forward now with the inclusion of ep 6 info.

ekalblake fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 24, 2014

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
that loving fight scene between rust and marty :stare:

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

pixelbaron posted:

Is it that hard to believe that underneath all of his nihilistic brooding he just wanted some pussy?

Rust is hot. He has way easier options than his partner's wife if he wants to get laid.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

pixelbaron posted:

Crisco Kid posted:

Rust is hot. He has way easier options than his partner's wife if he wants to get laid.

he rejected that hooker and wasn't he in a, mostly offscreen, relationship in the past few episodes?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Bro Dad posted:

Actually, poo poo.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

KidDynamite posted:

Also god drat does Woody Harrelson's mouth get small when he's got his angry face on.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. It's the 'Oooh I'm so mad at you' look which reminds me of a pissed off 5 year-old. It just suits his character.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Bro Dad posted:

:stare: gently caress

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bro Dad posted:

Time is a flat circle.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is that a spoiler or a joke or what? I don't want to regret clicking.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Bro Dad posted:

I'm going to be honest, I don't get it.

nopants
May 29, 2004
That episode 7 preview. Wow. Episode 7 preview spoilers below and some Lost-esque speculation.

The preview shows Hart reacting to seeing something on Rust's computer. Could it be video of some type of sexual abuse involving one of his daughters? I think it is video of abuse and/or sacrifice of a girl or young woman, but probably not one of Hart's daughters. The preview also shows some quick flashes of what looks like black and white pictures or videos. There's a guy in a spooooooooky mask next to a woman with some type of white cover on her head and what looks like a crown similar to the murdered victim in episode one. There is also a young, blood haired girl blindfolded, in white, walking through a forest. I think these are what Rust shows Hart on his computer. It probably ends with the murder and sacrifice of the young girl.

Also, I bet Rust got these pictures/video when he broke into Tuttle's homes. This is what gave Rust the causa belli to kill Tuttle. Alternatively, Tuttle knew Rust had gotten hold of the pictures/video and knew the gig was up and killed himself.

Also, the kid talking about seeing people in animals masks. Would everyone in Louisiana recognize the those Mardi Gras outfits we see in the picture in Dora Langes house, or could somebody mistake those for animals masks? Animal masks? WTF?

nopants fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 24, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

he rejected that hooker and wasn't he in a, mostly offscreen, relationship in the past few episodes?

I guess I should have been more specific.

Is it that hard to believe that underneath all of his nihilistic brooding he just wanted to gently caress Maggie?

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I'm putting a lot of expectation on these last two episodes that may come back to bite me if I'm wrong. True Detective was a pretty okay show when it was about two guys trying to solve a murder, but they couldn't because the evidence almost-but-didn't-quite add up. (Though I could write a drat essay as to why True Detective's approach to the genre still has issues.) I didn't think about it the next day, though.

But when I realized it was actually a show about a guy who really really WANTS to be a family man with boundaries, and a guy who really really WANTS to be a misanthropic nihilist, and both of them talk about these ideals all the time because their lives would be so much easier if they could just be what they keep saying they are, but neither of them can because the people they cast themselves as are fundamentally incompatible with their natures -- that's when I thought about the drat show all week. Because that's amazing.

It's going to be a huge letdown if Hart and Cohle both play to their pretend natures in the end.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Mescal posted:

Is that a spoiler or a joke or what? I don't want to regret clicking.

It's some good visual catches of shots from the preview juxtaposed with some images we've seen in the series before. If you think previews are spoilers, it's a spoiler. Otherwise, no.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm going to be honest, I don't get it.

The biggest thing IMO is the crucifix earring Marty's daughter is wearing. And just the whole thing really really suggests Marty's daughter was exposed somehow to the Tuttle sexcult.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 24, 2014

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Also on second thought, I guess if you were unconvinced of the link between Reggie and Lawn Mower Guy, that interview with the girl they rescued wraps that up pretty well.

In what way? I'm pretty sure lawn mower man is going to be involved, but how did her interview reference him at all?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

That was some dark loving TV. Nonstop.

Siid
Oct 18, 2012

nopants posted:

That episode 7 preview. Wow. Episode 7 spoilers below and some Lost-esque speculation.

More ep 7 speculation.
With how he reacted I'd expect it to be someone he knows personally and with some of the other stuff we've seen, it being his daughter is quite possible.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

beanieson posted:

In what way? I'm pretty sure lawn mower man is going to be involved, but how did her interview reference him at all?

Scars on his face. His face. His face!

Edit:

Crisco Kid posted:

It's going to be a huge letdown if Hart and Cohle both play to their pretend natures in the end.

They already aren't, though. I'm not sure Marty can transcend his limitations but Cohle's spent all this time sacrificing his career and lifestyle to pursue justice for kids nobody else will admit are missing. He's not misanthropic because he hates people. He's misanthropic because the vast majority of people he meets don't life up to his standards nor deserve the sacrifices he makes on their behalf.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 24, 2014

nopants
May 29, 2004

Siid posted:

More ep 7 speculation.
With how he reacted I'd expect it to be someone he knows personally and with some of the other stuff we've seen, it being his daughter is quite possible.

You don't think Marty would freak out if Rust showed him video of a girl being abused and murdered? Rust says hey Marty, these murders are still going on, we need to stop it. Marty goes bullshit. Prove it. Rust goes OK. Watch this video I found at Tuttle's.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Periodiko posted:

The biggest thing IMO is the crucifix earring Marty's daughter is wearing. And just the whole thing really really suggests Marty's daughter was exposed somehow to the Tuttle sexcult.

I thought there was some obviously implied spoiler, or something more explicit. Yeah, something had to of happened to explain those earlier drawings.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

SHAKY DEFENSE posted:

I think we're looking at the wrong clues here folks. Think about it, Kohl's...Marty's...what do they both sell?

Shoes. And women buy and they and children wear them EVERY DAY!

You look at the shoes and you find the answers.

The true villain;
Russell Edgington.
King of Louisiana, using his vampire magic abilities to obtain victims (food) and framing up (glamoured) cult members.
He obviously glamoured Marty's wife into banging Rust, in order to further throw off the investigation.
Marty freaking out watching the tv was when he saw Russell going crazy on TV and killing the newscaster.
Rust is all hosed up 'cause he's been glamoured too many times.
Eli Thompson, now a vampire, really quit the revival circuit when his faerie slave whose blood allowed him to day walk escaped.
Brother Mouzone, disenchanted with the ineffectuality of the La. state police will quit, convert to Islam, and freelance as a hired gun in Baltimore.

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.
I love the show, and the cherry on top is it is set where I live. I've seen some familiar places in previous episodes, but it was tonight's episode was especially cool in that regard. I've been to the strip mall Marty went to on many occasions, and have spent a decent amount of time in the Fox & Hound. There are all kinds of goverment provided incentives to film stuff here, and it's really cool to keep seeing mundane local places show up in big time entertainment.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Scars on his face. His face. His face!

He also wears adequate ear protection and is poorly shaven:

He's George Remus in Boardwalk Empire if you want to measure his size.

Bro Dad fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 24, 2014

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Rust and Marty were wearing matching ties in the scene where Rust told Marty to do the paperwork. Either their entire fight and the arguments leading up to it were an elaborately staged sequence of hoaxes designed to throw off moles within the police department, or the tie theory is less perfect than we've been led to believe. You be the judge. :catstare:

nopants
May 29, 2004
I'd watch a Brother Mouzone: Vampire Hunter spinoff series.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

My main hope for the ending is that 1. The cult stuff doesn't turn boring and 2. The main characters don't have a predictable tragic HBO destiny. I'd like to see rust die vindicated and Marty living as a functional single man.

nopants
May 29, 2004
I don't really have any hopes other than it is well done and entertaining. I want to enjoy this show and if I put together some preconception of how things have to play out for me to like it, I'll probably enjoy it a lot less.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!

Bro Dad posted:

Looks like you're the True Detective™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Marty loving that girl from the bunny ranch from ep 2 or 3 in this episode is hilarious when you remember Rust and Marty's interaction from the bunny ranch. Marty gives the girl cash and tells her to do something else because she's under age, and Rust asks Marty if the cash was a down payment. And then Marty fucks her this episode.

• Locked thread