Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I'd search the market for other foil cards for the game, maybe one of those has been sold?

Nobody's put one up for sale. I set the baseline at $13 since others were going for around that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Word of warning to those thinking about picking up Trails in the Sky, the game is extremely crash heavy unless you play in windowed mode at like 600x800 resolution. They're apparently working on fixing it but a ton of people on the forums are complaining about it. Personally, it took like 3 tries to get past the opening cutscene without crashing, doesn't bode well.

Edit: Finally managed to get past the opening scene only to get a black screen of death. Cool, glad I spent 17 dollars on this.

According to Xseed's programmer Sara Leen, TitS was a nightmare of programming when it came to resolutions. I'm not surprised it's kinda buggy right out of the gate. Either way, she's working on it now so there should be some patches soon.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lance Streetman posted:

According to Xseed's programmer Sara Leen, TitS was a nightmare of programming when it came to resolutions. I'm not surprised it's kinda buggy right out of the gate. Either way, she's working on it now so there should be some patches soon.

She's crazy dedicated, too - she was patching the Ys games up months after release. Not too surprising that problems got through. XSeed are a pretty small localization team, and their PC division is even smaller still, so they probably don't have too many testers.

Sucks that there's problems now, but I don't doubt they'll be fixed fairly soon.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Zeether posted:

Nobody's put one up for sale. I set the baseline at $13 since others were going for around that much.

That's a good number in most cases if you're the only show in town. The thing is though that since it's "an anime game," you can charge more and it'll sell. People are retarded so you might be able to get like $20+ for it.

Guaranteed there's ONE DUDE out there who can't live without that new anime foil badge.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

poo poo i would put it at like 30 and let it sit there until someone undercuts you

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Not sure if this was available for purchase before, but Mount Your Friends is out now.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/296470/

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The point with the new Thief is you could be playing better games instead of wasting your time and money on mediocre and badly designed game.

I didn't want to believe the reviewers and the people who dogpiled on the game because as someone up there said it's mindless and probably ends up doing you more harm. So I bought it. And after about 8 hours I just exited it in disgust and uninstalled it.

The legacy of the franchise is just the last straw because there are some things that are fundamentally lovely and would be lovely in any other game, too, like the small areas resulting in QTE-to-open-window-loading that people including me never fail to mention BECAUSE it's annoying as gently caress and if you enjoy exploration even little you're probably going to tear your hair out the 50th you have to mash keys to open the goddamn window.

I don't usually recommend or discourage people from buying games but Thief is an exception in my book. I mean it's selling for 10 bucks now, that's gotta tell you something. And the worst is people twisting the argument saying the defenders are nostalgic and/or just want to join the hate brigade. Well, maybe the game is just bad and there's not easy way to dismiss the valid arguments just because you like to run around the levels shooting arrows.

Znae
Aug 13, 2009

Eviscerating that man on the operating table isn't that big a deal, just go back to medical school real quick and give it another shot.

Orv posted:

Swift progress on the category front now that they're focusing on it;

Library
Added by-category filter options to the filter dropdowns in all library views.
When switching between library views, remember the category of the game selected and retain it when possible.
In list view with game images selected, display the image on all instances of the game instead of only one.

I guess they didn't have steam organization weirdoes like me in mind when they added categories to the Library drop down. The background graphic doesn't make it to the bottom for me.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is 15% off Trails in the Sky the best deal currently or does GMG have a 25% coupon or...?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

If you want to shoot people with arrows in a Triple-A game you should be playing Tomb Raider.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Is 15% off Trails in the Sky the best deal currently or does GMG have a 25% coupon or...?
GMG has a store-wide 20% off voucher (O7CNAE-Z1Y29P-QZAJ1I​) but I don't know if they have Trails in the Sky. I didn't see it on their new releases page.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

lordfrikk posted:

The legacy of the franchise is just the last straw because there are some things that are fundamentally lovely and would be lovely in any other game, too, like the small areas resulting in QTE-to-open-window-loading that people including me never fail to mention BECAUSE it's annoying as gently caress and if you enjoy exploration even little you're probably going to tear your hair out the 50th you have to mash keys to open the goddamn window.

All the batman games had that stupid loving button mash in order to open a vent to climb into. Sounds similar.

I loving hate mashing buttons for stupid poo poo like that.

And again, pricing isn't necessarily an indicator of quality. I don't know why the heck people still keep up with that poo poo about "Oh it's such a low price so fast it must fuckin' suck," well, no, no that's not what that means. Yes, sometimes there's a correlation, but not enough to have people keep saying that poo poo.

I still say Dishonored is probably the best first person stealth game to come out in YEARS. So people should play that first (and its DLC twofer, Brigmore) before anything else.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 29, 2014

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Quest For Glory II posted:

GMG has a store-wide 20% off voucher (O7CNAE-Z1Y29P-QZAJ1I​) but I don't know if they have Trails in the Sky. I didn't see it on their new releases page.

Yeah I probably should have checked first. Poop.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

GMG doesn't have it. Gamersgate might have a code for 20% off if you look around. The cheapest way to get it is probably trading tf2 keys for it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Are you referring to the first person sections as Briggs, or the sections where you're plot-discovered and forced into combat?

Reading this thread reminds me to play more of The Last Remnant.
Let's not pretend Splinter Cell was ever as pure stealth as LGS Thief. SC has always been action-y at points and yeah, I suppose the first person parts are 'bad' if you forgot that spies vs. mercs existed since Pandora Tomorrow, and you can still get by the FPS sections without going full rambo on everyone. There were already a few of 'plot-discovered' moments in the rest of the pre-Conviction games as well.

The entire 95% of the rest of the game is pretty much full stealth. Again, not LGS Thief or anything, but really well refined Splinter Cell. (yes, Splinter Cell is linear, always has been).

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Drifter posted:

I loving hate mashing buttons for stupid poo poo like that.

There have been exactly two instances of button-mashing QTEs being good in all of gaming. One was God of War pulling the head off a corpse and the other was Modern Warfare 2 pulling a knife out of your own chest.

This is because button mashing QTEs are ideal for making your player experience extreme discomfort and agony.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
To anybody having trouble running Trails In The Sky: the problem combination seems to be 1080p resolution (plus a few other, larger ones I can't recall right now), non-30fps option enabled, hi-res fonts, and fullscreen. Turn any one of those things off or change your resolution up or down (I guess you could downscale it if you want?) and your game should run okay. I'm running at 1080p and disabled the hi-res fonts, and it stopped all the crashing immediately (though windowed mode won't even boot for some reason). Just played for over an hour without any issues.

Additionally, I used my graphics card settings to force AA on the game, which made the low-res font much more readable.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Zombie Samurai posted:

There have been exactly two instances of button-mashing QTEs being good in all of gaming. One was God of War pulling the head off a corpse and the other was Modern Warfare 2 pulling a knife out of your own chest.

This is because button mashing QTEs are ideal for making your player experience extreme discomfort and agony.

How about pulling rebar out of your stomach in Tomb Raider?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ragequit posted:

Do we get to have sex with that length of rebar later? Or was that just a 'close enough' type thing that it can still count?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Drifter posted:

Do we get to have sex with that length of rebar later? Or was that just a 'close enough' type thing that it can still count?

Well where do you think the river of blood in the game came from.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Drifter posted:

that's gross

you're gross

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ragequit posted:

Well where do you think the river of blood in the game came from.

I figured THAT was more a period thing. You know how angry women get when it's that time of month. That totally explains how she can kill so many people and not care all that much.

Man, I should totally be a game developer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zombie Samurai posted:

It was pretty sick in the original Walking Dead where Lee chokes the main antagonist dude to death. You can stop the QTE after he passes out but I don't know of a single person who didn't keep going on the first playthrough. It was pretty manipulative, but in kind of a good way?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Ragequit posted:

I didn't need to mash anything in Tomb Raider to experience discomfort and agony.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It was pretty sick in the original Walking Dead where Lee chokes the main antagonist dude to death. You can stop the QTE after he passes out but I don't know of a single person who didn't keep going on the first playthrough. It was pretty manipulative, but in kind of a good way?

I didn't get that part (probably because I only had 1.5 arms) but there was also the similar bit at the end of episode 2 where you're beating on the guy and the "Mash Q" goes well past the point that it needs to, but you can stop early.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

exquisite tea posted:

Well, in episode 2 there is the one where you're trying to give CPR and even after Larry gets his head caved in you can still do the QTE for a second or two before you realize what the gently caress just happened

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
More new for Trails people: there's a patch! Appears to fix most of the crashing issues I'd been having. Can turn on HD fonts now at 1080p without issue, it appears.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Is Murdered: Soul Suspect any good? It gives me Alan Wake vibes and I could go for another one of those thriller mystery type games. At $15 it doesn't seem like such a bad deal.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

nozh posted:

Is Murdered: Soul Suspect any good? It gives me Alan Wake vibes and I could go for another one of those thriller mystery type games. At $15 it doesn't seem like such a bad deal.
From everything I've seen and read its kind of mediocre. The writing isn't all that great and the combat/stealth sections are clunky and the investigations sections are half-assed. I've heard the atmosphere is real nice though. Just don't go in expecting Ghost Trick and the Blackwell series, because Soul Suspect doesn't hold a candle to them.

If you're looking for a mystery thriller game with Alan Wake vibes I really suggest keeping an eye on The Vanishing of Ethan Carter which is shaping up to be a potentially great game.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 29, 2014

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Is the first Hitman game even remotely fun these days?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Accordion Man posted:

If you're looking for a mystery thriller game with Alan Wake vibes I really suggest keeping an eye on The Vanishing of Ethan Carter which is shaping up to be a potentially great game.

TO be released in late 2015 or 2016. Not exactly anything anyone can play in a decent scale of time.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

Just don't go in expecting Ghost Trick and the Blackwell series, because Soul Suspect doesn't hold a candle to them.

Wow, people think the Blackwell series is good? In addition to being forced to run it in windowed mode because Wadjet Eye has never heard of the fabled "Options" menu, I thought the main character was completely annoying and stupid in the first game, and her whiny attitude has put me off starting part 2. Does it get better?

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

murdered: soul suspect is genuinely one of the best games i've ever played and is just as good as ghost trick imo. the demon combat is horrifically bad and the writing is mediocre at times but the atmosphere, characters and investigation gameplay were all fantastic to me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Is the first Hitman game even remotely fun these days?

I'm not even sure that it ever was. I started with the second game, and that was the one that started the series down the path to what it'd primarily be known for up until Absolution took a big flavorless poo poo all over the franchise.

I've seen somebody do a playthrough of the first game, and funny enough the core gameplay actually reminded me a bit of Absolution. It was like they erased all forward progress the series made and returned to their roots of horrible acting, bad setpieces and linear gameplay.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Budget Cop posted:

murdered: soul suspect is genuinely one of the best games i've ever played and is just as good as ghost trick imo. the demon combat is horrifically bad and the writing is mediocre at times but the atmosphere, characters and investigation gameplay were all fantastic to me.
Really the combat is such a small part of Murdered and literally takes up maybe 5% of the overall game, that it can be easily overlooked. My only real qualm with the game is the lack of replayability; all the puzzles have a singular solution (which usually requires not over thinking puzzles, as the solutions are usually the simplest answer) and there's a single ending. The setting though is passable and while the characters/writing can be a bit hackneyed, it's never really painful to deal with.

If anything, it's good enough for 10-15 bucks; just make sure not to try and collect everything because you'll just end up hating yourself.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

I'm not even sure that it ever was. I started with the second game, and that was the one that started the series down the path to what it'd primarily be known for up until Absolution took a big flavorless poo poo all over the franchise.

I've seen somebody do a playthrough of the first game, and funny enough the core gameplay actually reminded me a bit of Absolution. It was like they erased all forward progress the series made and returned to their roots of horrible acting, bad setpieces and linear gameplay.

I like to think I can deal with dated graphics but this is pushing it a bit...

Looks like an N64 game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I like to think I can deal with dated graphics but this is pushing it a bit...

Looks like an N64 game.

It's almost as if it came out 14 years ago. However, even without dated graphics it's not very fun, and wasn't very fun when it came out to me, the 2nd is still pretty good, but Contracts and Blood Money are really where it's at.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's little point in playing Codename 47 because Contracts remakes a good chunk of the levels.

Everblight posted:

Wow, people think the Blackwell series is good? In addition to being forced to run it in windowed mode because Wadjet Eye has never heard of the fabled "Options" menu, I thought the main character was completely annoying and stupid in the first game, and her whiny attitude has put me off starting part 2. Does it get better?
The series progressively gets better with each game. You definitely should give it another chance.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 30, 2014

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Everblight posted:

Wow, people think the Blackwell series is good? In addition to being forced to run it in windowed mode because Wadjet Eye has never heard of the fabled "Options" menu,
That is because the engine they use to make the game is really lovely, but makes developing adventure games really easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Finished up Wolf Among Us. Pretty solid TTG game, plus didnt reduce me to a blubbering wreck at the end like Walking Dead. :v:

• Locked thread