Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
(Sees Viggen on probabtion, checks rap sheet)

Huh?

(Checks custom title)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! That's awesome :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've been lucky in 2014. Other than recovering from ecoli (October 2013) I've been pretty healthy and got to travel. First year since 2009 I haven't met my max out of pocket for insurance in the first 6 months :woop:

Here's some laps from this weekend when I wasn't crashing - http://youtu.be/vyggoiIGzb4

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

At the pace of a snail! Get on with it

I found a place with both a 2 car garage AND an external workshop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
NERD TALK

Being the huge loving comic book fag that I am, it drives me loving crazy to hear people talking about comic books like they're experts because they've seen a half dozen films and read loving wikipedia.

/NERD TALK.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It counts as retail therapy when you get broken up with and buy a Lexus, right?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

NERD TALK

Being the huge loving comic book fag that I am, it drives me loving crazy to hear people talking about comic books like they're experts because they've seen a half dozen films and read loving wikipedia.

/NERD TALK.

I tried to look up a Wiki on Ultron to see WTF the big bad in Avengers 2 is..... holy poo poo, who are the splergelords that write that crap? Half these loving entries for comic book poo poo have more detail than bloody Obama's page and have such ridiculous details and then arguments over said details. Who the gently caress cares, gimme a good short summary without wading through piles of splerge

I've never made it a secret for my distain for comic / anime / gaming nerds but maaaaaan, this is some serious next level above that garbage. These dickheads need to get laid with a real woman.

How the hell you don't straight up gut with a blunt knife some of these wastes of oxygen is beyond me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cat Terrist posted:

I tried to look up a Wiki on Ultron to see WTF the big bad in Avengers 2 is..... holy poo poo, who are the splergelords that write that crap? Half these loving entries for comic book poo poo have more detail than bloody Obama's page and have such ridiculous details and then arguments over said details. Who the gently caress cares, gimme a good short summary without wading through piles of splerge

I've never made it a secret for my distain for comic / anime / gaming nerds but maaaaaan, this is some serious next level above that garbage. These dickheads need to get laid with a real woman.

How the hell you don't straight up gut with a blunt knife some of these wastes of oxygen is beyond me.

I know ALL this poo poo. All of it. But I know better than to walk around blurting it out everywhere. When we left Guardians of the Galaxy some fat piece of poo poo was yapping about how Howard the Duck comics are so loving valuable and hard to find and it took every fiber of my will to not turn around and tell him how wrong he was. And that he should eat a salad.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
gently caress the United States Postal Service

That is all

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Terrible Robot posted:

gently caress the United States Postal Service

That is all

Word.

In positive news the GF's Integra that I negligently bought was aligned nicely with mostly bullshit recommendations to fix random things. I've known it needs belts and a brake service for a while, gently caress their quoted $38 alternator belt and $32 powersteering belt. I was able to order my belts and brake rotors and pads delivered for $75. I don't know what I'd do if parts weren't so loving cheap for this thing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want a new laptop. With one of them new fangled solid state drives.

Guide me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just put an SSD into your current laptop if you bought it within the past few years.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Phone posted:

Just put an SSD into your current laptop if you bought it within the past few years.

This. Or you can buy something totally overpriced like I did. That works too.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 203 days!)

Rhyno posted:

I want a new laptop. With one of them new fangled solid state drives.

Guide me.

How old is your existing one?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I can't imagine how lovely it is to work for Walgreens, based upon how lovely it is to be their customer.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

gently caress, yeah I messed up.

I have been eyeballing old 3 wheelers.... We need that frog saying get in missing teeth. Either way I like your thinking. :getin:

I grew up with a Honda ATC90, a Honda 185S, and a tiny little Honda ATC70. Get a 3 wheeler, fix and restore what you gotta and enjoy the piss out of it.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/honda-250r-3-wheeler

If you've gotta have 4 wheels, I recommend a Yamaha Wolverine, any year really, as long as it's not automatic.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

gently caress, yeah I messed up.

I have been eyeballing old 3 wheelers.... We need that frog saying get in missing teeth. Either way I like your thinking. :getin:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

bandman posted:

sup horrible year bro :smith::respek::smith:

2014 can die in a loving fire.

Aside from the sexual assault, homelessness, crazy family, soul-crushing depression, and this alleged makeout session with Viggen, 2014 was alright. I'm gonna give it a pass and call it my year of personal growth.

2015 better be the best loving year yet though or I'm going to be PISSED.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Phone posted:

Hell, I bought an oldballs Lenovo T500 6 months ago for $200 and put a 120GB Samsung 840 in it, poo poo is fantastic. So good that when my mom needed a new computer I did exactly the same thing (but with a T400).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tommychu posted:

Hell, I bought an oldballs Lenovo T500 6 months ago for $200 and put a 120GB Samsung 840 in it, poo poo is fantastic. So good that when my mom needed a new computer I did exactly the same thing (but with a T400).

Lenovo apparently ran out of disc HDs (1.8") that work in my computer because when mine died under warranty, they replaced it with a same size SSD (256GB like 2 years ago). loving score, that was like a $400 HD back then. The speed improvement is amazing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tommychu posted:

That's because Lenovo laptops are the poo poo

bend
Dec 31, 2012

goatse guy posted:

Aside from the sexual assault, homelessness, crazy family, soul-crushing depression, and this alleged makeout session with Viggen, 2014 was alright. I'm gonna give it a pass and call it my year of personal growth.

2015 better be the best loving year yet though or I'm going to be PISSED.

If 2015 is any worse than this year the police reports will probably include words like "incinerated", "rampage" and "genocidal rantings" to be honest. I'm really tempted to blow the surplus lpg tanks in the top shed up, but its 30 degrees (celsius) and the start of fire season, So chucking them on a bonfire seems like a bad idea even if a good explosion would make me feel better.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Goober Peas posted:

I can't imagine how lovely it is to work for Walgreens, based upon how lovely it is to be their customer.

Depends Which one you worked at but yeah

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's because Lenovo T-series laptops are the poo poo

You can't lump them all together. You can't assume any model that they didn't inherit from IBM is going to be any good.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
X series is pretty good too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tusen Takk posted:

Depends Which one you worked at but yeah

I can't remember which comedian said it but they pointed out that most drug store workers look like they are about ready to kill themselves and it fits riteaid and walgreens perfectly.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

I can't remember which comedian said it but they pointed out that most drug store workers look like they are about ready to kill themselves and it fits riteaid and walgreens perfectly.

Malcolm in the middle got drug stores just right. I loved that show.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Where the hell are you getting glasses for $25?
Even on goggles4U, my prescription is around $100, because high-index lenses. All kinds of surcharges when you get lenses at 7.5 and 10.5 sphere. You can also guess that leaving my glasses in the car is not an option...

optical4less.com - based in China, but goon supported (they have a thread in SA-Mart - Viggen has ordered from them too). They charge in Hong Kong dollars instead of USD, even though the prices quoted are USD, so you may get hit with a conversion fee. Their website is..... not pretty, but it's functional.

zennioptical.com - US based customer service (now), but still made in China. Difference is they get them from China, then ship them from California by parcel post, so it takes a few days longer. They charge in USD. Much better website.

The first pair I got from Zenni had completely hosed frames - one of the hinges was cast at an angle. It took some back and forth of "no, they CAN'T be adjusted, the hinge itself is hosed" before they shipped new frames (which took 3 weeks to arrive).

The high index lenses will obviously add a bit. I have pretty basic single vision lenses, and my sphere is only -0.50 and -1.00. I don't bother wearing them at home unless I'm watching TV in the living room (no need in my room since I use one of my monitors for TV). I have to wear them to drive (as per my license), and once I'm out and about, they stay on until I get home.

With Zenni, it took about 3 1/2 weeks for my order to show up. optical4less was a little under 3 weeks. I plan to order a couple more pairs from both sites; it's nice to have different styles to wear.

Goober Peas posted:

My stepdad has been with them for 15 years, in store-level management.

It's been pay cut after pay cut. He's gone from making close to 6 figures to about 35-40k in the past 2 years alone. He's also expected to do far more with less help, gets ripped a new rear end in a top hat if he gets overtime, has a manager above him who doesn't do poo poo, and they've been cutting benefits. His medical insurance costs more than it used to, covers less, and has higher copays/out of pocket.

He has nearly a year of vacation pay saved up, and a ton of sick pay; for now, they're safe and will continue to roll over (in theory) - but going forward, they have a combined PTO pool that's use-it-or-lose-it every year. He's also at the age where it's going to be a complete bitch to find another retail management job (62). He drat near lost his job when they made him get some kind of basic pharmacy certification and found a DUI from when he was 16 (which was supposedly expunged in the 1960s). Thankfully he's one hell of an organized pack rat and still had the paperwork about the expungement.

At one point they were talking about eliminating store managers entirely and just going to $10/hour keyholders.

Tusen Takk was a pharmacy tech for them at one point, I'm sure he has plenty of horror stories from there.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 23, 2014

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Those are the movements of a man that's had that happen to him before, but it didn't turn out well. :D

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

Did he save it before it connected with the other cars?

Thoughts on USA so far compared to NZ;

To much water on the toilets. Not enough in shower

Downtown San Diego has heaps of homeless people. I assume this is same for most of the south west.

The coffee is terrible. I literally put up with caffeine withdrawal headaches for 3 days to not drink this poo poo.

No body seems to indicate anywhere so far.

Portions are mental and so are the prices.

gently caress the same coloured money. EFTPOS is heaps easier. My swipe/chip/touch-and-go credit card confuses people.

People keep assuming I speak spanish.

Concrete roads feel so broken to drive on

Lets see if the trends continue into Arizona

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Called up a local wreckers regarding a front bumper on a car I'll be buying, got quoted.. $595. The thing isn't in perfect condition. Asked about a rear seat? This is in a coupé, mind you, and got told.. $450.

While recovering from a heart attack, I saw on Gumtree (Australia's Craigslist) some dude selling a seat for $60. Absolute loving insanity though. You can literally pick up from bars for series ones for like $60, series two? Gonna cost ya.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Anphear posted:

Did he save it before it connected with the other cars?

Thoughts on USA so far compared to NZ;

To quote a British friend of mine: "Its like taking a poo poo on a loving lake"

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
This breaking up thing has become a lot harder to deal with than I was expecting.

:smith:

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

To quote a British friend of mine: "Its like taking a poo poo on a loving lake"

Yes this is it completely. I mean sure it hides the smell some but poo poo its nasty when you flush and all this brown liquid gushes about the place.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Anphear posted:

Downtown San Diego has heaps of homeless people. I assume this is same for most of the south west.

No body seems to indicate anywhere so far.

Lets see if the trends continue into Arizona

SoCal has way more homeless than AZ - the climate here is damned harsh in the summer.

Correct, people are allergic to turn signals here.

The broken roads are a California thing. They have gently caress-all for money relative to how many roads they have, and how many vehicle-miles get driven on those roads. You'll notice a massive increase in quality as soon as you cross the Colorado into Arizona.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Many things it does. Hide the smell it does not.

American coffee is also vile. I recommend picking up some cuban grind espresso sometime and main lining that poo poo till you see colors. Its the closest I get to Turkish coffee without going over.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

SoCal has way more homeless than AZ - the climate here is damned harsh in the summer.

I also figured it was because the didn't freeze come winter.

cursedshitbox posted:

American coffee is also vile. I recommend picking up some cuban grind espresso sometime and main lining that poo poo till you see colors. Its the closest I get to Turkish coffee without going over.

We found an NZ guy operating the coffee machine at a hipsterish joint and he knew what we wanted. Triple shot Latte here = Flat white (Normal coffee) in NZ.

We also bought some with us cause we knew it was poo poo But I was not prepared for how completely terrible the coffee is. Our generic instant coffee tastes better than the 'artisan brewed' stuff here.

Edit. Although I did find a cool old Pinzgauer in Coronado this afternoon

Anphear fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 23, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Starbux employees look at me like I have 3 eyes when I order 4-5 shots in a cup.

gently caress YOU I NEED MY ETHER.

Not that I visit starbux often (I don't), but when I do...

IOC: any roads leaving CA seem to get better. its almost like you need a LAV to drive the roads there.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

The more I think about it the more I remember how loving miserable I was there but then again I have been EXTREMELY spoiled by my latest retail job so maybe I'm just now realizing how miserable I was when at the time I was just "ugh this sucks" instead of "ugh end my miserable existence"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

I usually buy ThermalTake power supplies, they have been pretty good to me and don't break the bank.

Thermaltake's lower end stuff is absolute garbage - their voltage regulation goes to poo poo (as does ripple) once loaded past about 70%. The TR2 series in particular used to be terrible, though it looks like they've improved a little.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Found out someone has developed a general diabetic app for both Android and iOS that works with a lot of glucose readers. It's called Glooko.

A lot of the readers require a special adapter. Depending which page you read, my phone is either completely unsupported, needs a special adapter that only my doctor can order, or just needs a USB OTG cable (as my glucose reader has a USB port, and is listed as officially supported on every page on their site). The latest list shows both my Bayer Contour Next USB and my Nexus 5, and I found a PDF buried deep in the site that says if I'm using a USB enabled glucose reader, I can likely use a USB OTG cable. Ordered one from Amazon, hopefully it works.

That'll make it a lot easier than having to manually enter every reading, and a hell of a lot easier than using the Windows software that came with the reader (it's.. functional, but ugly as poo poo, slow, crashes more than Windows Media Center, and the reports are drat near impossible to make much sense of).

Devyl posted:

This breaking up thing has become a lot harder to deal with than I was expecting.

:smith:

:glomp:

It always is. You still have my facebook info if you need to vent, right?

Anphear posted:

The first time I showed a friend a dashcam video, he asked what was so broken on my car.

I asked what he meant.

"That ka-clunk ka-clunk ka-clunk ka-clunk ka-clunk ka-clunk noise"

Oh.. those are the expansion joints between the concrete sections.

The upside is the roads last longer. The downside is when they break, they REALLY break. Then get patched with asphalt for weeks months years.

kastein posted:

I usually buy ThermalTake power supplies, they have been pretty good to me and don't break the bank.

Thermaltake's lower end stuff is absolute garbage - their voltage regulation goes to poo poo (as does ripple) once loaded past about 70%. The TR2 series in particular used to be terrible, though it looks like they've improved a little.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Anphear posted:

The awesome part is that, given the right consistency and technique, you can curl out the longest continuous turd of your life. The lake beneath you will catch and support your poo in ways other continents' toilets simply cannot.

Anphear posted:

The coffee is terrible. I literally put up with caffeine withdrawal headaches for 3 days to not drink this poo poo.

And yet it's one of the most caffeinated nations on the planet. Do what the locals do and start the day with a litre of Monster or Red Bull.

Anphear posted:

Portions are mental and so are the prices.

I'm 95% certain that with my appetite I'd be 400 pounds had I been born and raised in the U. S. of A.

• Locked thread