Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DandyLion posted:

Where's Hey Gal? I'd wager the 20' pikes win that game.

The nodachi (very long sword) was meant for cavalry use, so yeah :). It's also worth remembering that the spear and bow were the main weapons for the samurai and the sword, at least in context of the battlefield, was a side-arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
they said we needed more swords and i thought they said more sword, easy mistake

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crazy Achmed posted:

Also, the length from the floor to my armpit is a little longer than a standard foil blade, maybe twice the extra reach I'd get from pomelling? Seems reasonable to me, but then again I'm not a tall guy and I can see how poo poo could get ridiculous fast. Makes me wonder where the maximum-range arms race would end up-

How tall are you? Mine comes up to my waist.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

About 170cm (5'5"), I'm pretty short. My old post-grip foil comes up to roughly the bottom of my ribcage and would need another 20-25cm to get to my armpit. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable amount of length to add, but I guess the balance and added weight (on top of the additional weight of a full on kill-people blade as opposed to, say, an epee) could make handling a lot more difficult.

In related news, fencing someone shorter than myself is a real mindfuck for me. I've come to realise that my default attacks are usually lowline, duck-and-counter is my go-to rear end in a top hat move, and in general I'm really used to trying to leverage the fact that my hand position is usually a little lower than my opponent's just due to the height difference. I was pretty surprised the other day when I got some nice opposition touches going over my opponent's guard and into the top of their arm, I'm so used to trying to hit underneath instead.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 9, 2017

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GAIL posted:

this is exactly the wrong thing to do with a half-trained pikeman, since it's the length of the pike that's the problem for a new guy

Yeah, it ended up making them even less maneuverable and more vulnerable to the legions' strategy of having individual companies (maniples/cohorts) act of their own volition to exploit gaps in the line or to flank the phalanx.

The successors were only worried about fighting one another really, and giving the guys more armor and longer pikes was an arms race in isolation where both sides were essentially agreeing to fight that way.

Problems with breeding/buying/training enough cavalry also were an issue, and the successor states never fielded cavalry as good as Alexander's Companions They also did not train and employ Hypaspists (Hoplites basically, but there is debate) to guard the flanks as much.

Put all that together and the successor armies go from the Alexandrian combined arms approach to one overly emphasizing pike blocks where they tried to spend their way into success via equipment instead of taking the time to fully train soldiers.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

PSA: If you have aches and pains slowing you down, go see a drat masseur. Yesterday I paid 35€ for a session to fix my crotch, today I found about a foot of extra lunge just lying around.

Attribute fencing like a motherfucker right here. :ese:

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
A masseuse to fix your crotch...

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

My long, elegant weapon has never been thrust this vigorously.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Happy Endings aren't just for swashbuckling fairy-tales after all!

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Speaking of poorly implemented ideas, the Russian box of death is officially dead for the seniors. The juniors and cadets will continue using it until the end of the season. Hooray?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

My long, elegant weapon has never been thrust this vigorously.
you fence smallsword though

in more ways than one, amirite

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 23, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yes. :smith:

Speaking of small swords, check out these lunges:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44JxhHTgBvE

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are they practicing, or do they actually fight that slowly?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

your friend a dog posted:

Gurney Halleck says it's the slow blade that kills.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Welcome to the wonderful world of HEMA smallsword, where nobody works out, everyone complains about sports fencers, and people unironically argue for epee rules with foil lockout timing. (To be fair, the floor also looks slippery as heck.)

But those lunges. :swoon:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Doesn't look like a tournament.

What is with racism in HEMA in Europe?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

What is it about the proud martial traditions of one's homeland, practiced in such a manner that any nerd can pick up the hobby, that attracts actual loving Nazis? Gee, I dunno. It's not like the historical re-enactment scene has this problem, right? :v:

Why do you ask? (Oh God please don't tell me there's some shitbird on Facebook again.)

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I knew of Fighters Against Racism but I just browsed the HEMA Racism Tumblr this morning. Is this a common thing or do certain clubs promote this? It seems like there are enough posts from GHFS people that maybe that whole club is racist. Although maybe some were innocent mistakes.

I don't know much about racism in Europe. In America I haven't seen this as much in HEMA. Just curious if this is a big problem or a small subset of practitioners.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I wanna say that blog highlights the worst shitbirds and we're actually all just generally nice people over here, but I honestly don't know any more. :( Some of those shitbirds like Frank Docherty have platforms and that's honestly horrible.

On the other hand, Fran Terminiello's got a platform too and she's super cool. :shobon:

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Is there a HEMA equivalent to weeaboo? Fat, bearded guys a bit too much into vikings?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

LazyQ posted:

Is there a HEMA equivalent to weeaboo? Fat, bearded guys a bit too much into vikings?
they are everywhere

their female counterparts wear a lot of purple and go to renfairs

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LazyQ posted:

the sca :grin:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

LazyQ posted:

You found me.

I'm entering an épée tournament for the first time tomorrow hosted by our sister club. I've been doing German longsword for just under a year so I'm in the novice group. I only practiced with them once to just understand the stance and rules. I wanted to get more practice in but last week we had a nasty snowstorm. Any advice? Stick 'em and don't get stuck?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No rules, only lights now. :getin:

...Yeah I got nothing.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
you're going to lose anyways, but for what its worth if you have no experience, a good measure is the easiest way to win

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

you're going to lose anyways, but for what its worth if you have no experience, a good measure is the easiest way to win

Not necessarily every match. There's a group of us that have never done épée before. Should be fun.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Don't try and emulate the flashy fancy poo poo, stick to the basics, try to relax and have fun!

Watching the smallsword video makes me think they should really try electric blades, just to make it easier to see when a touch has happened. How they come up with and interpret their rules is still up to them, but it'd make it a lot more watchable.
The epee-with-foil-timing thing is interesting, though: I guess the idea is to discourage "suicidal" attacks with the long lockout timer. But that opens the door to a strategy of "suicidal" counterattacks. Foil tries to fix this with priority, but I guess my bottom line is does their idea make for a fun bout?

Also I didn't see much in the way of nice lunges? Sure they were long, but seeing the front knee go that far past the heel makes me think that guy is going to need surgery if he keeps that up.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazy Achmed posted:

Also I didn't see much in the way of nice lunges? Sure they were long, but seeing the front knee go that far past the heel makes me think that guy is going to need surgery if he keeps that up.
knee past the heel is a thing in rapier fencing, why do modern fencers think it's dangerous?

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

HEY GAIL posted:

knee past the heel is a thing in rapier fencing, why do modern fencers think it's dangerous?

Lunges in modern fencing are much more fast and powerful, and you do it hundreds of times on tournaments. I always tell my students not to focus on the aesthetic aspect of the lunge (i.e. it looks nice), but on the most logical one, fencing-wise: it must be long enough for the tip/blade to reach the target and explosive enough to surprise your opponent, but should be done correctly (arm-wise, as per the rules for foil and sabre/common sense in epee) and it must allow you to return quickly on guard. Allowing the knee to go past the heel makes the last point harder and somewhat dangerous because you end up putting all your body weight on your front knee. Imagine doing that thousands of times per year as a 1.90m tall, ~80kg athlete! Or even worse, as a casual club fencer! It'll gently caress up your front knee for good.

Tl;dr modern fencing lunges serve a more functional purpose, and sometimes they look pretty good.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAIL posted:

because it fucks up your knee and leads to long term damage. if that's not a good enough reason, it also means you are over committing to your attack, and need to fix your lunge through your measure, not by leaning forward (which just leads to a slower recovery if they repost at you)

e: future days said it better
ee: just because it's a 'thing' in rapier fencing doesn't mean you should do it there, anymore than you should in sport fencing

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Future Days posted:

Lunges in modern fencing are much more fast and powerful, and you do it hundreds of times on tournaments..... Imagine doing that thousands of times per year as a 1.90m tall, ~80kg athlete! Or even worse, as a casual club fencer! It'll gently caress up your front knee for good.
the repetition aspect makes a lot of sense, since this is now a sport and not a means of killing a dude in an Italian alley somewhere. i can't imagine a situation in which a 17th century gentleman--even a fencing instructor--fences as much as a serious modern fencer

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Re: lunges. One of the first things I teach new students is that lunges must go forward. Leaning over your front knee makes you go down and doesn't give you extra distance. Also, all the force in the back leg must be used to move the body forward. Rookie fencers tend to do a little "jump" upwards when learning how to lunge, which ends up being a waste of energy!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
The thing I've been taught -- injury aside -- is about using the front leg to absorb the power of the lunge; by the time you get to knee over ankle you should be stopped, past that your leg is losing stopping power. Any energy you have to dissipate after that is throwing you off guard.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You guys just can't appreciate loving up your body for art. :colbert:

On a less flippant note, I'm sort of leery of rules of thumb like "no knee past the heel/toes". It's fine for stopping dumb enthusiastic kids from loving themselves up, but it's not actual medical advice. Unfit people can blow out their knees even with correct form (almost been there) and fit yoga-and-workout people can do ridiculous poo poo without worry.

Which isn't to say that it's tactically correct to lunge like you're a 17th-century Frenchman.

Also sports massage is (clinically proven) magic and I sincerely recommend it.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 5, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
His knee is also barely over his heel, showing pretty clearly that absurd depth and range on a lunge can be gotten with good form even if you're a 17th century Italian.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
once you stop having to counterbalance your massive sword with the weight of your own rear end, the modern lunge can develop

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

His knee is also barely over his heel, showing pretty clearly that absurd depth and range on a lunge can be gotten with good form even if you're a 17th century Italian.
Everyone worries about the knees, but nobody ever gets all :stonk: about the crotch.

Edit: Also for the sake of pedantry, the picture is from a French manual from 1670.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 5, 2017

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Epee tournament update: Had a great time. Learned a lot. Took one match off of a young guy, which felt pretty good. One of the fencers I faced was so quick and light that he would touch me on the sleeve and I wouldn't even feel it. Just enough pressure to depress the button I guess which was pretty amazing. A fight broke out over "hitting too hard" and damaging an epee. Someone got their face cut in the ensuing brawl. I thought us HEMA guys liked to play rough but you Oly boys take it to a whole new level. Overall was a good experience.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

KyloWinter posted:

A fight broke out over "hitting too hard" and damaging an epee. Someone got their face cut in the ensuing brawl. I thought us HEMA guys liked to play rough but you Oly boys take it to a whole new level.

Holy poo poo what. This should never ever ever happen. I black carded people for much, much less than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Future Days posted:

Holy poo poo what. This should never ever ever happen. I black carded people for much, much less than that.

Ya it was really strange. A wire got knocked loose on the epee and guy A was mad that guy B hits too hard. He switches out his epee and the competitors came to corps a corps (look I learned a thing!) and guy A shouldered guy B really hard like he was trying to run him over. Guy B pushes guy A off of himself. Guy A charges guy B and at this time about 6 other guys are running into the middle of this. Guy A is swinging his sword above the heads of everyone still trying to get guy B and he cuts one of the guys trying to break up the fight on the forehead. It was very surreal and escalated so quickly. Hopefully I explained that well enough. Guy A was ejected from the event obviously.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 5, 2017