Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The report also says that Hemsworth is getting his head partially shaved during the movie. RIP those beautiful golden curls.

Ah I see they're doing the current "Thor has cancer" plotline from Mighty Thor :v:.

(I seriously doubt that's what that is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Variety is saying Brie Larson is in talks with Marvel to play Carol Danvers

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aaand people are already upset she's not pretty enough.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I've seen people upset she's not old enough.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

She's 26 and the movie doesn't come out for like four years. She's fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Carol Danvers is hardly drawn as a mid-30s woman anyway.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I thought this was Allison Brie at first and wondered if Marvel made their first major casting fumble.

I actually haven't seen anything she has been in (except 21 Jump Street, but I don't remember her in it). How is she? She's been in a bunch of small stuff and Room, which has very good reviews of her, but I guess part of that is that she's young.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ever since her name was mentioned she's been my number one choice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I thought this was Allison Brie at first and wondered if Marvel made their first major casting fumble.

I actually haven't seen anything she has been in (except 21 Jump Street, but I don't remember her in it). How is she? She's been in a bunch of small stuff and Room, which has very good reviews of her, but I guess part of that is that she's young.

She's Jonah Hill's love interest in 21 Jump Street. It's a pretty prominent role.

The only thing besides that I've seen her in is Scott Pilgrim, which is a gimmick performance so you can't judge on that.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah, overall she's a really good choice. Not top of the A-list yet but a good actress coming off an Oscar and on the upswing of name recognition.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Short Term 12 and Room show what an amazing actress she is. She was also really good on the short-lived United States of Tara.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Aaand people are already upset she's not pretty enough.

Who cares about pretty DOES SHE HAVE BIG BOOBS?

Even after googling her I don't know who she is. Who was she in Scott Pilgrim? I'm not watching 21 Jump Street.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

She was Envy Adams.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's Envy.

21 Jump Street is a great movie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Heathen posted:

Who cares about pretty DOES SHE HAVE BIG BOOBS?

Even after googling her I don't know who she is. Who was she in Scott Pilgrim? I'm not watching 21 Jump Street.

She was Envy, the one with the band. You should watch 21 Jump Street.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

X-O posted:

She was Envy, the one with the band. You should watch 21 Jump Street.

She even did her own singing in Scot Pilgrim, and I prefer her vocals on Black Sheep more than Emily Haines.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Watch Room. She got an Oscar from it for a reason.

Out of all the names rumored to be in the running for Captain Marvel, Larson was probably the best actor of the lot (and honestly, it's kind of surprising she would be willing to sign for a minimum three-picture deal right as her movie career is getting white-hot off an Oscar win, but on the other hand anchoring a bunch of Marvel movies is the way to cement status as an A-lister so I guess that makes sense). Still kinda broken up over it not being Charlize Theron, though, since she's quite literally Carol Danvers in looks and flexibility and able to carry intense action sequences. I mean, I'm confident that Larson will absolutely kill it on the drama stuff but as far as I'm aware she hasn't been in any movie that required heavy physical acting and action on her part, and the ability to sell it as "real".

In either case, I'm fine with Brie as Carol Danvers, my only trepidation is in her ability to be a believable action movie star. Just as long as she's willing to get the Carol Danvers haircut.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

After more googling I just found out 21 Jump Street made 200M and will be making a sequel that crosses over with Men in Black. Sure. Why not.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

22 Jump Street is the most sequel film to ever sequel. They turned so heard into the skid they flipped the drat car.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Heathen posted:

After more googling I just found out 21 Jump Street made 200M and will be making a sequel that crosses over with Men in Black. Sure. Why not.

Both 21 and 22 Jump St are hilarious movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMjKaqk_3EI

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
She's younger than how I imagine Danvers but they've done well enough with casting so far that I'm not worried.

muscles like this? posted:

Both 21 and 22 Jump St are hilarious movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMjKaqk_3EI

Those credits are the only part I've seen of either film and I don't know if the rest could live up to my expectations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

She's younger than how I imagine Danvers but they've done well enough with casting so far that I'm not worried.

Those credits are the only part I've seen of either film and I don't know if the rest could live up to my expectations.

They can.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Basically 22 Jump St is everyone actually involved in the making of 21 Jump St mocking the fact that the studio wanted a sequel. 21 Jump St is a legitimate action comedy while 22 is kind of a parody of the first one. Like there's a whole bit about how they got a "bigger budget" but blew it all on a big splashy opening and a new high tech HQ/amenities for returning stars like Ice Cube so late in the film they have to be more conscious of how much money they're spending.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill are in a Hey, You Watched TV In The Eighties remake and it's funny. And so is the sequel. And A-Force is a good comic.

June has gotten off to a really weird start.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, discounting Inhumans stuff, is Captain Marvel the last hero they've announced a movie for but haven't cast?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, but it's also the furthest out one that's not Avengers.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not at all familiar with Brie Larson outside of Scott Pilgrim, where she's completely unremarkable IMO. Not that I don't believe she's a good actress, but is she like... too good for a superhero film? Just looking her up she doesn't seem hammy enough. I'm just worried it's going to be another Jennifer Lawrence-type role.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not at all familiar with Brie Larson outside of Scott Pilgrim, where she's completely unremarkable IMO. Not that I don't believe she's a good actress, but is she like... too good for a superhero film? Just looking her up she doesn't seem hammy enough. I'm just worried it's going to be another Jennifer Lawrence-type role.

All the amazing actors in comic book films these days and someone you've never even really seen act and that's where you start to wonder if they're too good for a movie? That's really weird.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

X-O posted:

All the amazing actors in comic book films these days and someone you've never even really seen act and that's where you start to wonder if they're too good for a movie? That's really weird.

That's why I'm asking

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 2, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Hakkesshu posted:

The J-Law situation was a pretty unique one I don't see a lot of comparison to here. She had her film debut as Mystique just before she appeared in Hunger Games and became big. Marvel's not really in the same kind of boat of stumbling across an up and coming actor, and they've generally taken enough care with the MCU casting that I wouldn't worry about any of their picks unless we start getting real bad trailers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a question

I think recent history tells us that with people like Russell Crowe, Michael Douglas, Robert Redford, Colin Firth, Anthony Hopkins, Ben Kingsley, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kevin Spacey, and Jeff Bridges (just to name a few) that wondering if Brie Larson is the one that just might be too good of an actor for comic book movies might be overstating it just a smidge.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

J-Law's X-Men work seems more like her having signed a three picture deal and immediately regretting it since between that and Hunger Games she didn't have time to pivot her success into critically acclaimed work. Because I gotta say that watching her onscreen in First Class she's a fun and eager character, and it sounds like it was when DOFP/AoA hit was when she looked more and more checked out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

X-O posted:

I think recent history tells us that with people like Russell Crowe, Michael Douglas, Robert Redford, Colin Firth, Anthony Hopkins, Ben Kingsley, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kevin Spacey, and Jeff Bridges (just to name a few) that wondering if Brie Larson is the one that just might be too good of an actor for comic book movies might be overstating it just a smidge.

I don't think all of those performances are particularly noteworthy either. It's not an indictment on the quality of the actor, anyone can be loving miscast. Either way I'm not making a judgment call right here and now, it's just not something I expected.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think all of those performances are particularly noteworthy either. It's not an indictment on the quality of the actor, anyone can be loving miscast. Either way I'm not making a judgment call right here and now, it's just not something I expected.

That's not what you said in that first post.

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here

howe_sam posted:

She even did her own singing in Scot Pilgrim, and I prefer her vocals on Black Sheep more than Emily Haines.
This is 100% a fact

Brie would make a great Captain Marvel. She's gotta hit those weights!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DrProsek posted:

The J-Law situation was a pretty unique one I don't see a lot of comparison to here. She had her film debut as Mystique just before she appeared in Hunger Games and became big. Marvel's not really in the same kind of boat of stumbling across an up and coming actor, and they've generally taken enough care with the MCU casting that I wouldn't worry about any of their picks unless we start getting real bad trailers.

Jennifer Lawrence had already won an Oscar by the time she was in X-Men.

Edit: Sorry, was nominated for an Oscar.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

That's not what you said in that first post.

I didn't make a judgment call, I asked a question based on my initial reaction, like I said I haven't seen any of her dramatic roles. gently caress just forget it, I don't give a poo poo

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Toxxupation posted:

Watch Room. She got an Oscar from it for a reason.

loving right she did, her performance was unreal and absolutely unimpeachable (though I'm sad that Saoirse Ronan didn't stand a chance against her because Brooklyn was also amazing) so she's an exceptional choice for Carol.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Between Chris Evans and Brie Larson, pencil in Michael Cera for a future Marvel role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Probably Magic posted:

Between Chris Evans and Brie Larson, pencil in Michael Cera for a future Marvel role.

He'd be a pretty good Grim Reaper.

• Locked thread