Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
code:
  Yukari: |||||||||||||||||
  Junpei: |||
 Akihiko: |||||
 Mitsuru: ||||||||||||||||||
   Aigis: ||||||||||||||||||
Koromaru: ||||||
     Ken: |||||||||||||||||||||||

My Choice: ||||||
It's really, really close and Yukari would be surprisingly less redundant than you think, but I'm just gonna close this here so I can get the fight done sooner rather than later at this point. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
On the one hand, I was excited to see the support for Ladies' Night and Ken pulling ahead kind of took the wind out of my sails. On the other hand, I don't dislike Ken as fervently as some other people, so I'm rather amused as well.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Okay, so, one last bit of prep before we step through Pandora's Door. Gonna get four Tomes of the Void from Abaddon, and a bunch of skill cards from all over the place. What cards? Well, let's look at my Personae loadout for a second:

Michael is gonna be coming along for those Auto-kajas and nothing else. You won't be seeing him again in this update. Sorry, Michael.

Odin is, on paper, extremely not allowed for an Ultimate Boss fight. Pretty much every other one in the series would look at this Odin and tell you to get the gently caress out and come back with a sensible loadout. Here? He's draining all 3 phys elements and Wind as a precaution.

Messiah is not in his perfect form. This is a crap Messiah I threw together to expedite grinding cards and serving one use here: Salvation and nothing else important.

Magic Skill Up is unique to Messiah and is Portable exclusive. It a 50% increase to all spells. All of them. Even Almighty, yes. And because it's not actually an Amp, despite being an Amp effect, it stacks with normal element Boost and Amp skills. He learns it at level 98 and it cannot be fused onto anything else. Keep its existence tucked away in the back of your mind for later. It won't be relevant today.

Surt, Norn and Skadi are all here as well as backups for if things go wrong and I don't feel like starting over. They all have the same loadout but with their respective unique spells (Panta Rhei for Norn and Niflheim for Skadi) as the only differences. Don't expect to see them in action.

Mara makes this update officially Not Work Safe and is gonna be doing all the physical labour. I don't care about his Ice weakness, because he won't be suffering any unexpected shrinkage from enduring the elements. Apt Pupil increases his crit rate to help make sure we can definitely hit one of Margaret's rules if we get bad RNG. Vorpal Blade is our main source of damage; Pralaya is the strongest backup and its pretty weak in comparison sadly.

Maralagidyne is still here because he only needs 7 skills. Its his unique spell and is Ragnarok but multitarget. 650 attack power, Fire elemental, slightly worse accuracy (95% vs 99% for Ragnarok) and it costs a whopping 32SP! That's 2 more than normal! We won't be using it here, though.

Okay, let's step into Pandora's Door and see what Margaret can really do...

Unavoidable Battle

So, since Margaret starts off the fight neutral to everything (except Expel/Curse, obviously) we'll just do burst damage ASAP.

Thunder Reign is the best pick to start off with since it guarantees Shock. Even without Concentrate Mind Charge the damage is pretty decent thanks to Michael's Auto-Matarukaja and all.

Then everyone else just basic attacks for that guaranteed crit. Aigis might be able to get away with Akasha Arts if it double hits, but Ken and Mitsuru need to do basic attacks for sure. She's immune to Knock Down so we just get crit damage which is enough anyway.

Ken even has Primal Force and Vile Assault but they're straight up weaker than his regular attack. Primal Force is close but the high HP cost makes it lose out overall.

Speaking of Akasha Arts, lets see what Margaret can do. From her first turn onwards, she switches Persona around according to what phase of the fight she's in. Each one lasts for 10 of your turns. That's important.

Because, you see, Margaret does not get 2 actions in one turn. She gets 2 turns a round. That is a very important distinction, since it technically means debuffs last half as long as normal (this only matters sometimes) and you can get Analyze results for the wrong thing. Yeah, Analyze tells you her resistances. We won't use it though, since its technically inaccurate more often than not.

In the event Margaret crits, she'll use Power Charge here. Her first 10 turns are all Physical and her personae are the four Devas. Her resistances are affected by which one comes last on her turns; if its just an attack, she drains that element and is neutral to the other two. If its Power Charge you need to pay more attention:

Zouchouten drains Strike and is neutral to Slash and Pierce. Nullifies Fire, Ice, Elec and Wind. Uses God's Hand and Akasha Arts.
Jikokuten drains Slash and is neutral to Strike and Pierce. Nullifies Fire, Ice, Elec and Wind. Uses Brave Blade and Vorpal Blade.
Koumokuten drains Pierce and is neutral to Slash and Strike. Nullifies Fire, Ice, Elec and Wind. Uses Primal Force and Myriad Arrows.
Bishamonten drains Slash and is neutral to Strike and Pierce. Nullifies Fire, Ice, Elec and Wind. Uses all six of the above.

These all apply regardless of circumstance, except Bishamonten. His drain switches to whatever element he attacks with, which is why paying attention to that is easier. He just defaults to Slash for Power Charge.

At some point when Margaret drains Slash, I'm having Mitsuru use a Magic Mirror.

Margaret is okay with this.

Every now and then I'm gonna use a Megido or Megidolaon Gem to do damage when I normally couldn't. This isn't super crucial, but it helps a bit. If Margaret is missing at least 5000HP after 10 turns pass, great! You can continue the fight. If not? You just broke one of her 5 rules and get Megidolaon'd for 9999 damage.

Those rules, by the way, are really simple and easy:

- Don't use an Omnipotent Orb, specifically. You can drain/repel every element and be immune to all ailments and she won't care so long as you're not using the Orb.
- Do a cumulative 5000 damage every 10 turns. She needs to be missing 5000HP after turn 10, 10000 after turn 20, 15000 after turn 30 and 20000 after turn 40.
- Despite that, you have to win the fight before 50 turns pass. This rule applied in Persona 4 as well, so Margaret's consistent at least.
- Don't use Armageddon. Obviously this only applies if you don't finish her off with it.
- Don't use Valhalla or Infinity. Full invulnerable is even worse than being cheap about it.

She switches phases every 10 turns provided her HP threshold has been reached; 5000 is pretty easy all told. The first phase alone makes it possible to average nearer 10000, if not more with some good crit luck. She switches here from the four Deva to Mokoi for ailments.

She always follows it up with Poison Mist at the start, so that Magic Mirror earlier ensures it can't hit you. How nice.

During this phase, she's neutral across the board to all damage. Gonna be taking advantage of that, then.

For her turns here after the first, she goes ailment > ma-dyne for the most part.

If anyone is inflicted with any ailment, she just drops damage and Hamaon/Mudoon constantly instead. She can and will Hamaon/Mudoon in lieu of damage sometimes, but its mostly after hitting a weakness or when an ailment already exists.

Her second persona here is Neko Shogun. He's also neutral to everything like Mokoi, so we can do lots of burst damage no matter what.

She doesn't have overly many ailments at her disposal here, but it's not like it matters. Charm is obviously really, really bad with basically any team combination for obvious reasons. Having a setup where no-one has Diarahan is doable (Junpei and Koromaru), but Tome of the Voids are better so that's why we're packing those.

After 20 turns pass, you might not notice anything different at first. After all, Magarudyne was in Neko Shogun's wheelhouse as well...

But now she's dropped the ailments and is pure damage. She's using the four Mitama as spell equivalents to the Deva. I'm a bit disappointed its not the Si Xiang, but Margaret has a tendency to prefer humanoid Personae. The Mitama don't count directly, but they directly represent parts of the human soul so I guess it's close enough.

Much like the four Deva, her resistances switch around here but are much meaner than before:

Ara Mitama drains Fire, is neutral to Ice and nullifies Elec, Wind, Slash, Strike and Pierce. Only uses Maragidyne.
Nigi Mitama drains Ice, is neutral to Fire and nullifies Elec, Wind, Slash, Strike and Pierce. Only uses Mabufudyne.
Kusi Mitama drains Wind, is neutral to Elec and nullifies, Fire, Ice, Slash, Strike and Pierce. Only uses Magarudyne.
Saki Mitama drains Elec, is neutral to Wind and nullifies, Fire, Ice, Slash, Strike and Pierce. Only uses Maziodyne.

Yeesh. If Margaret hits a weakness here, she doesn't use Mind Charge. She just keeps on attacking and sometimes even uses the ST Dynes but very, very, very rarely. Like with the Deva, the one that comes last in Margaret's turns is what we have to pay attention to.

If she can attack in this phase, Mitsuru will be pretty decent but since that's only 25% of the time, this is pretty much entirely why I have Surt, Norn and Skadi.

It's worth noting that Margaret's stint in the second phase makes it really, really easy for her to drop to critical HP about now. It's honestly super simple to finish the fight in this phase with almost any team composition as a result. Even if you don't have great elemental coverage, for whatever reason, you can just Armageddon when she's at sub 10k HP and that still counts.

For the sake of argument, let's let 30 turns pass. At this stage, she enters a pretty simple pattern.

She uses Clotho to Mind Charge and Power Charge. She always uses both here.

...This is your reminder that Reflect is 100% legal in this fight. Clotho is neutral across the board to damage.

For her next 2 turns, she uses Lachesis to debuff or buff herself somewhat. She's not consistent about it, but she'll use Marakunda, Tetrakarn, Makarakarn...

Or Spirit Drain. She has other stuff as well, but they're more response oriented to very niche scenarios.

As you might expect, it's not your normal, everyday Spirit Drain.

Lachesis also happens to be neutral to all damage. If the fight somehow gets to this stage, it's not getting past it.

For her follow-up to Lachesis' large variety, she gets pretty boring honestly. Megidolaon for Mind Charge pretty much constantly. Just a normal one, but there's always a moment of doubt that it's not gonna be.

Fortunately, Atropos is ironically the safe Megidolaon here. Even with Mind Charge, she doesn't really crack 400 damage all that often.

Almighty Physical attacks don't exist here, so her Power Charge runs straight into mirrors every time without fail.

She'll hit herself for around 2000 damage a go with Vorpal Blade quite a lot.

Because I'm trying really, really hard to not win here (it's genuinely harder than it sounds!) I'm using a buncha stuff to just drag things out. Messiah heals, I use items to restore SP, if the Music Box we got for Christmas had a unique sound I'd be sick of it by now...

But let's let it get to turn 40. At this point, you've already lost and don't realise it yet. She's swapped to Pixie at this point, but this is a normal Pixie not her 9999 Megidolaon Pixie.

Oh yeah, she has two 9999 Megidolaon Persona. Slime for enrages and Pixie for if you're not good enough.

Problem here is that on turn 40 she will almost always cast Diarahan.

Can you do 30,000 damage in 10 turns? It's theoretically possible but...

Margaret finally gets serious here. She'll switch Personae constantly and they all have new surprises:

She has a new Persona for every element and they superdrain the one they use. Welp, so much for that idea then.

Thor here superdrains Elec and is immune to Slash for good measure. Always does Mind Charge into Maziodyne.
Surt superdrains Fire and is immune to Strike. Always does Mind Charge into Maragidyne.
Jack Frost superdrains Ice and is immune to Pierce. Always does Mind Charge into Mabufudyne.
Cu Chulainn superdrains Wind and is also immune to Pierce. Always does Mind Charge into Magarudyne.

But she has every element, remember? Metatron uses nothing but Mahamaon, and obviously he can't drain that. Instead, he nullifies Fire, Ice, Force and Elec and resists Slash, Strike and Pierce. Great.

And she has Alice for Mamudoon too. Mercifully, she only nulls Fire, Ice, Elec and Wind. No Phys resist here, which is good enough for me.

Oddly enough, her Pixie here is the best thing to see. If its first turn is Spirit Drain then the follow up is always Diarahan. But if it's Mind Charge, then you get Megidolaon'd instead.

It's not her Super Pixie, so it's managable. Pixie ends up being the best because it's neutral to all damage.

For the phys elements, she brings back the Deva from before. Exactly the same as the start of the fight, in fact, so their drains are just normal drains.

But if turn 50 comes and goes, well, you lose. Try again. Honestly, if it gets to the Moirai, then I'd be worried that something's gone wrong already. It should definitely never get past them, though, without purposefully letting it and even that's easier said than done. Plus, like, it takes about an hour to run out of time anyway, so you really have to be dragging your feet there.

...But well, okay. Let's actually fight Margaret for real now. Gonna keep the exact same Persona loadout as detailed above, but Surt/Norn/Skadi are straight up irrelevant so feel free to ignore them. Only change is that Ken and Mitsuru are dropping their Tomes for a different accessory. The limiter is being removed.

:siren: The Sadistic Stud-Keeping Secretary :siren:
honestly just watch this its way shorter than you might expect

So, we'll be handling Margaret the same as before for the first 10 turns. Thunder Reign opener, everyone goes burst for Phys, then kick her around with Power Charged Vorpal Blades and/or Pralaya. Everyone else attacks, buffs or heals as needed.

It's super easy to fly past 5000 damage, so we'll get right to the second phase where things... change a little.

We'll be using Salvation a fair bit to remove Charm of course, but also Poison. Poison needs to disappear too, where possible. Remember, she'll do nothing but attack if anyone is inflicted with any ailment. We don't want that... from these.

It's wholly RNG how long she takes to do it, unfortunately, but her third and final ailment here is Rage. Good. We want this.

Remember, only Kotone and Aigis have Tomes of the Void. We could get away with Aigis also not having one, but that'd require good luck with Infuriate after a Matarukaja and this removes that risk.

See, here's the thing about Margaret using Rage here: it costs her the fight. She has no damage resists at all with Mokoi or Neko Shogun. Mitsuru and Ken both the same accessory equipped and it grants that there Raging Tiger passive skill.

Raging Tiger takes the Rage damage boost and increases it further. Combining that with Rakunda, Tarukaja and Thunder Reign for guaranteed crits? That's how you get Mitsuru to do over 1000 damage with a basic melee attack.

But, well, Rage has two more effects as you might remember from forever ago when we used it to destroy a Tartarus boss. It doubles damage taken, sure (Neko Shogun DOES use God's Hand, Primal Force and Brave Blade in this scenario instead of the Dynes, to fish for 2k+ damage crits), but the advantage is more in our favor because Enraged characters attack twice.

So, Mitsuru does ~2100 damage in one round with her basic attack. That's pretty good.

Here's the kicker, though: Ken is better.

Ken's basic attack in this scenario matches a Power Charged Vorpal Blade in Great status. You wanted Ken, you got Ken.

Why is Ken so good at this? Well, let's check his skills real quick:

He has Spear Master. Ken's still not the best person for this, though. He only hs 65 Strength with the Pinaka. Akihiko is technically marginally more optimal for this strategy but Ken still does around 2700 damage. I feel like at that point you're just splitting hairs.

Needless to say, taking upwards of 5000 damage in a single turn means that Margaret just kinda melts and never even makes it to the Mitama phase of the fight.

Odd that she gives any EXP at all, really.

Oh and I wasn't kidding when I said Margaret was the overall hardest fight we'll get here. The hardest part is probably the first 10 turns since without a good Phys loadout, you're just straight up hosed and there's no indication of why you've failed when you get 9999'd the first time.

Also the worst part about Margaret is that her "no!" voice clip plays for every hit in an attack animation, which gets really annoying really fast.

End

Between Doors

I haven't had that much fun in a long, long time. You've made me a happy woman.
I'll give you this, to symbolize how both of our powers touched.

I must go now, but I'll leave the Vision Quest Hall open.
I'll continue to watch your battles from elsewhere...
Stay strong... Kotone.

As promised, she just leaves now and won't be seen here again. You can still do the refights and halls for stat boosts/cards/items as you like (and you may have noticed that I sorta overdid the Luck one as a precaution, heh...)

The Bookmark we got from her is just gonna sit in our Key Items screen now and forever. It doesn't do anything else, but it doesn't really need to either.

Blues of the Soul

I have no doubt that you caused you a great deal of trouble, but I ask you to please forgive her. (sic)
...Still, it would seem that you have been strengthened by the ordeals she set before you.
I would appreciate it if you would take heart in your growth.

And with that, we can finally bring the Vision Quests to a close. All that's left now, is at the top of the tower. We still need to finally meet Nyx, and I think she's been kept waiting long enough.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
K E N

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

All of the kid's pent-up anger finally put to good use.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Everybody out of the god drat way. You got a Persona full of justice, a fist full of spear, and a head full of rage.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Redemp-Ken.

Okay, now beat it without Misturu and Aigis. Just Ken and you. :colbert:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

January 31st. The day Nyx makes her arrival and ushers in The Fall...

Living With Determination -Iwatodai Dorm-

Newscaster: The hordes of people seem to be a gathering of the cult. Some members are holding placards reading "Nyx" or "Quiet Revolution", making for an enigmatic scene...

The news is about the cult, but only insofar as they're making a bit of a scene. Otherwise, to everyone else, today is a Sunday like any other.

Troubled

...Is everyone ready?
...U-Um, can I say something?
I know that we have to defeat Nyx...
But if you think about it, that means we'll be getting rid of the Dark Hour...

But, even if that happens... I want you all to know, I won't forget you!
Even if it robs us of all of our memories together... I will still remember you all!
*laugh* We know you will, Yuka-tan!
I won't forget you, either!
Neither will I!
I will not forget you, Yukari-san.
Don't worry, even if you do forget about us, I'll remind you.
...Yeah, so don't worry about it.
Oh, I'm so glad to hear that...

Good idea! But, where should we meet?
I don't think it should be the dorm... We'll come back here anyways if all goes well...
Hey, shouldn't we also decide on when we'll meet?
Yeah, it should be a special day...

When the Dark Hour vanishes, our memories might not disappear right away.
So we shouldn't plan to meet too soon after the battle.
And there's no day that will have more significance to us all.

Ken and Koromaru might not exactly agree, but...

Wow... You're really smart, Yukari-san!
Graduation Day...! Yes, that will be easy to remember.
Yeah, that's probably our best bet... Graduation Day it is!
Now, where should we meet?

And when we meet again...
...we should remember how we're feeling right now...
That no matter what may happen, we will never look back...
...I agree.
Arf!
*laugh* Sorry, but you'll just have to wait!
Alright then, let's get going.
Let's do this like always.
Yeah...
...Together.
...I will do my best.
Good, cuz I'm counting on ya!
...This is going to be easy.
...Yes it is.

Living With Determination -Iwatodai Dorm-

This is it. Our last chance to make any preparations that we can do outside of Tartarus.

Our last chance to see what everyone has to say about what lies ahead.

I want to strengthen our bonds, so I can't let the world end today.

You don't have to worry about that, Fuuka. When it comes to bonds, we've already forged some very strong ones. Both as a team, and between individual members.

...so he could pass me the baton. And I'm going to run with it until the very end.

I will fight with my all. It's not for revenge; it's so we can live.

That's what I'm going to fight for.

I'm gonna beat the hell outta Nyx!

But don't worry, I know we'll win...
Shinji will be fighting with us tonight.

But, his dreams live on inside of me...
I'll make sure they come true...
Alright, let's get going.

Now that we're in Tartarus, we cannot leave until we're done. If we need any more resources, better hope they're stuff we can get in here. At least we have the Velvet Room available and technically infinite time and money.

Speaking of which, let's just head on in there real quick...

The Poem for Everyone's Soul (Reincarnation)

In order to have gotten on so well, with so many different people... You must have worn many faces...
Perhaps you'll find this useful, since you seem to be able to adopt any sort of face...
A cipher like you should have this.

With it, you'll be able to summon... that Persona.
I'm interested to see what kind of Persona results from this... I'll be looking forward to it.

To obtain the Cipher's Mask, you need to max every single link in one playthrough. NG+ transfer stuff helps a tiny bit, but way less than you'd think. Since you'll invariable do most of your social stat training at night, and there only being 2 night links, it barely helps in practice.

We won't be using this Mask today, though. It unlocks the final Persona, and it is also level 90. We can, on paper, now make everything which isn't too bad. I've taken the opportunity to make everything available as we've progressed and as of level 75...

We have 88% of the Compendium already filled in. Without the Mask, even if I did grind to level 90+, it'd be stuck at 99%.

We WILL be using the Mask's persona though. Just not today.

tartarus_0d06

With everyone at level 75, we're as ready for what lies ahead as we're getting. I could spend more time in Monad pushing further but right now? We're fine. There's nothing we're particularly missing that would make things any easier on us. It'd just be for bigger numbers which would make things quicker and nothing more.

We'll be putting everyone through their paces at least once tonight. Two people are inevitably going to have to pull double duty but that's not a big deal.

...it's not a Shadow!
It's Strega!

As soon as we reach floor 255, Fuuka immediately discovers that we have one more thing to deal with before we can reach the very, very top. No one should be surprised by this. Even Fuuka isn't.

There are no new Shadows beyond floor 254. We have seen almost all of them before anyway. Some may not have spawned in earlier sections, but here? Here, we're just gonna run past everything and get to floor 258.

We have a free full heal if we needed it, a Terminal to quickly descend if we're overwhelmed (...but it's Strega so don't count on it) and can switch our team around if we'd like. Eh, we're fine.

Jin Shirato

That Which Comes From The Darkness

You...!?
Where's your partner?
Takaya went on ahead of me.
He's destined for greater things.
So, it looks like you're serious about fighting Nyx.
How do you know about Nyx...?

But, not all of it made sense... He was a real nut job.
Did you know Ikutsuki?
We were surprised to find out he was your boss.
We really only knew his name...

He "created" you!?
Who are you!?
Heh... There's no use in telling you... The end is near.
We don't have time for this... Get out of our way.
Can't do that, little lady...
There's no way you'll be able to stop Nyx...

Do you even understand what you're saying!?
If Nyx isn't stopped, all life will be destroyed!
Exactly.

That is Takaya's wish... so I'm not backing down.
Enough talk.
Let's do this.

Let's.

Jin Shirato 「Hermit Moros」

Unavoidable Battle (Reincarnation)

Oh Jin... the problem is? I am.

So, Jin has a neat new gimmick. Unfortunately for him, well, this team composition was custom built to just skip it wholesale. Really, any team could in a much easier way but this is more fun.

After Makoto's very first turn, Jin decides to reveal that he's also kind of a Navigator I guess. He knows that we don't have any elemental weaknesses to exploit!

Beyond now being level 74, Jin is very different to the last time we fought. He has a lot (and I do mean a lot) of mid-tier and multi-hit attacks. He has two attacks of every single element, including the three Phys ones, and covers his bases pretty well. If you leave any elemental weakness vulnerable, he's more than capable of exploiting them. And he has Megido just in case.

This time around, Jin has 5000HP. Like before, he has a quip after he loses a quarter of it.

And again when he loses half.

...Then he gets his first turn and reveals that he knows what our weaknesses are... if we had any.

Since we don't, he just foregoes doing damage at all. Instad, he opts to use ailments which is fairly annoying but not that big a deal. He only has 3 and they'll sound familiar: Sexy Dance, Poison Mist and Infuriate.

We could theoretically crush Jin with no effort at all because of that. We do anyway, because he's Strega, but that's beside the point.

Aside from having 5000HP, Jin has 45 Strength, 50 Magic, 45 Endurance, 45 Agility and 45 Luck. He's incredibly unimpressive and it took actively holding back for him to get to do things.

The Voice Someone Calls

What're you waiting for...? Finish me off!
I would do anything for Takaya...
Why are you so loyal to him?
Heh... You wouldn't understand...
Takaya showed me the light when I was in the darkness...

Are you ready for Strega's Tragic BackstoryTM? Good, because we're finally getting it now.

It was a long time ago...
In order to better understand the Dark Hour...

...so they could investigate Tartarus.
What...?
But, when that power doesn't emerge naturally, it's difficult to control.
So the kids had to take experimental medication so their powers wouldn't kill them.

Then, those three were...
You all suffered at the hands of Kirijo...
Takaya saved me from it all...

To be honest, I don't even care about Kirijo anymore.
But, Takaya's wish... must be... fulfilled...!
You...

Calamity

We're running out of time! We have to go! Now!
But... We can't...
You idiots! I don't want your pity...!

Well, okay then. Later, shitlord.

I believe in you, Takaya... Fulfill your wish...
I will hold on the freedom you gave me to the very end...!

Jin's going to put that grenade he keeps carrying around to a real use for the first time...

...and for the last time.

The Voice Someone Calls

Did he...!?
Let's go.

End

tartarus_0d06

So, now that we're done we have another free full heal and chance to switch our party around. Let's do that then.

...This is also the point where I ended up doing it twice for, uh, reasons. Nothing particularly exciting or major or anything, don't worry about it. Just keep that in mind when things change somewhat apropos of nothing.

Needless to say, it's not gonna take very long to get to Takaya either. We'll just skip right there, since nothing's changed here either.

Takaya Sakaki

Indeed.
Then, let us through.
I am not standing in your way.

What is it that you seek? These are your final moments...
The end is nigh.
Sorry...
But, we're not gonna let that happen!
You are merely wasting your energy...
Why not celebrate this wonderful moment?
What better way could you spend your final moments together?
Will you shut up already!?

And so, I learned that the future is only a delusion.

That is why we welcome this glorious revelation, to shine a light upon this darkened world!
You're so full of poo poo!
I'm not dying so you can have a friggin' night-light!
This is not merely my desire.

That's just because all these weird things have been happening...!
That is untrue...
Who is responsible for reviving Nyx? Can a single person boast of this great accomplishment?
You all worked tirelessly to prevent it, and yet in doing so, you unwittingly aided in her coming...

Man cannot face death without first finding meaning in life...
But the world has realized that any meaning in life was lost long ago...

That can't be...!
I-I don't believe you!
And yet, there is truth in what he says...
Aigis...
But, now we know that it was a mistake...
And that's why we're here.

That's what it means to "live".
The world isn't so simple that one person can decide whether we all live or we all die...
So, even if there is no hope, we won't give up.
Hmph. What do you know of this world?

Just as death is eternal, a truth that has been lost can never be found again.
Are you really so desperate to die that you will stand before the almighty Nyx!?

If you insist on asserting your way of living, then I shall do the same!
The coming of Nyx is but moments away!
*laugh*
Ahahahahahahahah!!

Oh good, Takaya's gone completely insane. Let's just end this, already.

Takaya Sakaki 「Fortune Hypnos」

Unavoidable Battle (Reincarnation)

It's only a matter of time.
Please be careful! I sense even greater power than before...!

In comparison to Jin, who changed so much he gained a potentially irritating gimmick...

Takaya has changed VERY little.

He's technically stronger this time around, sure, but he's still just the same boring "casts spells for straight damage" and that's basically it.

The only change of note in his repertoire is that he ditched regular Megido for Megidola and sometimes Megidolaon (he never wanted to use this against me though...).

He does at least have the usual "more dialogue at 75%"...

I pity those who cannot see it for what it truly is... a blessing.

50%...

You would be foolish to deny it...

...and 25% HP remaining.

How can you summon such power... even in the face of death...?

On the plus side, the closer he gets to being beaten, the more likely he is to use Mind Charge and follow it up with Megidola(on). That's potentially a threat for once. Good job, Takaya!

...Shame that it comes too late, then. This time around, he has 7000HP, 45 Strength, 60 Magic, 45 Endurance, 45 Agility and 50 Luck. Still just a giant barrel of disappointment all around.

The Voice Someone Calls

There is nothing more I can do...
Now... kill me.
...Are you scared?
...What a peculiar question.
You know nothing of death, if you think that it is something to fear...
What do you mean?
You fear it because you do not understand it...
I will not explain to you any further.
There's no honor in taking the life of someone who can't move.

Yeah, lie there and repent for what you've done.
*laugh* You are all so odd...

> Takaya slowly closes his eyes...

We're finally here...
Up ahead is the top of Tartarus...
The promised place Ryoji spoke of.
...Let's regroup for the final battle.

End

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 6, 2018

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Ugh, Strega is so badly done. Protip: If you have characters just say 'shut up already', there's a very good chance that the audience is ALSO SAYING THAT.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

And here's Strega's connection to Ikutsuki. It's really a shame that they didn't interact onscreen.
Ikutsuki must have been doing his best to avoid them (perhaps also making sure the party never hears about the Assassination website with obvious Dark Hour motifs).
Whereas Strega never put 2 and 2 together that if the Kirijo Group's heir was fighting them, maybe that Kirijo Group scientist they have reason to hate was around somewhere.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Looking forward to you trouncing Nyx like she's nothing

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

MightyPretenders posted:

Whereas Strega never put 2 and 2 together that if the Kirijo Group's heir was fighting them, maybe that Kirijo Group scientist they have reason to hate was around somewhere.

That would be Strega doing something competent. Can't have that.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am so glad that Strega is dead as besides Chidori they felt like such boring characters that it was hard to care about them.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
They have way too much screentime to say absolutely nothing. They're just kind of wittering on about like.... well, typical teenagers really, but the game gives them too much screentime to do nothing.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Keldulas posted:

They have way too much screentime to say absolutely nothing. They're just kind of wittering on about like.... well, typical teenagers really, but the game gives them too much screentime to do nothing.

It feels like the writers take them far more seriously than they deserved - without doing anything interesting with their concepts. For instance, they're supposed to talk about their philosophical views - but they don't have any of substance. There's one line that works for how Jin was recruited, but it doesn't connect to how they've acted throughout the game.

On the plus side, they do a lot better in later games. The writers, that is, not Strega.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 7, 2018

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Reasons to like Strega:

1. Takaya is voiced by Derek Stephen Prince who is the best, and there are very few people on the planet who can do a better evil laugh than him.

2. Jin has the best Persona summoning animation in the series

3. They have one of the best boss battle tracks in the series

That's about it, really. But it's enough for me. :)

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
And so, Strega died as they lived.

Kinda there, I guess.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

SoundwaveAU posted:

Reasons to like Strega:

3. They have one of the best boss battle tracks in the series

That's about it, really. But it's enough for me. :)

Unavoidable Battle is peak Meguro for good game and it's great.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I was always dissapointed that Strega didn't even get new Personas for their final fights, but that's kinda the point. They didn't grow at all, or change in anyway. The death of Shinji meant nothing, the death of Chidori meant nothing, and the death of everything means even less. They were meant to be the opposite sides to the main group, Takaya to the main character especially, but in the end they weren't anything. God, they suck so much, except for Chidori.

Also if playing through Tartarus is required to beat the game, why were all Full Moon bosses so weak? You were expected to explore Tartarus, having the Full Moon Shadows act as roadblocks would have been a good way to emphasize that and would have made their fights marginally more interesting.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Also if playing through Tartarus is required to beat the game, why were all Full Moon bosses so weak? You were expected to explore Tartarus, having the Full Moon Shadows act as roadblocks would have been a good way to emphasize that and would have made their fights marginally more interesting.

Losing to a full moon boss would put you back upwards of 30-45 minutes on average, between cutscenes and the mini-dungeons you have to run to get to them. Losing to a Tartarus boss and you just need to take the teleporter back to their room.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

That's true, but I was thinking more about Tartarus itself. If you've literally never set foot in here before beyond the times you're required to, you'll have to do the entirety of Tartarus in a single run. Most people wouldnt run in to that issue, but I'm sure some people have. Plus they should have just added a cut scene skip or save points prior to each Full Moon Shadw then.

I'm not saying I have a perfect answer for anything, I'm mostly saying that treating Tartarus as optional right up until the last month of the game was a poor move. More could have been done with the tower and the bosses of some level of requirement was added. Especially since, as Dragonatrix pointed out, we only have two night time Social Links anyway.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Especially since, as Dragonatrix pointed out, we only have two night time Social Links anyway.

My guess is that the reason there's only two night time social links is because the developers were assuming players would spend most of their nights level grinding in Tartarus or leveling up social stats, so they didn't want too many S. Links that you could potentially miss out on finishing.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Plus they should have just added a cut scene skip or save points prior to each Full Moon Shadw then.

Cut scene skipping would be a pretty neat feature in general in a game series with literally hours of intro.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Much like before, we get a chance to switch our team around as needed. The only thing that's left to do today is... Very Long. But, well, I'm sure you already knew that.

To that end, Makoto has the Tome of the Void (of course), Yukari and Ken have Narcissus Flowers and Aigis has the Lightning Glove just to nix a weakness that would be on two people. That's pretty helpful.

Under A Killing Moon
you are reading that timestamp correctly yes... this is a rerecording using alternate savefile makoto to make it quicker even

Hey, look at the sky!

Is it Nyx!?
I can sense it even without my Persona. This is the first time that's ever happened...

And as we take a trip to the anime zone (this will happen a lot here...), something materialises out of the aether near the moon.

It begins to descend, as everyone is in awe...

And they land on Tartarus. A giant sword in hand, with large, black wings...

Not just any wings. Special wings made from a part of Nyx. Fragments of Shadows used to operate machinery like Aigis and keep technology running during the Dark Hour: the Plumes of Dusk.

Ryoji-kun...!?

I didn't mind it.
...What's going on? Wait, are you...?

Although, Nyx and myself are now one in the same.
Is that so...? Well regardless, I don't regret my decision.
I'll defeat you, no matter what you are!
I see... Then, you must already know.

That is what I am.
We know that already.
Yeah. ...Everyone does.
You are what awaits all living things from the moment they are born...

...There must be fear in your hearts.
Yeah, of course I'm scared...
But, it's no use carrying on about it! I wanna live!
...I'm tired of running!
Living means looking death square in the face...
So, I won't back down... not even from you!
I will stop you, even if it costs me my life. That is my own decision!
...I see.

Calamity

Everyone, get ready! Nyx is preparing to attack!

Everyone who's not fighting Nyx should try to keep them at bay!
This is our last chance...
We can't afford to lose!

Nyx Avatar

:siren: :siren: The Battle For Everyone's Souls :siren: :siren:
hey look its the single most well known track in the game and its also coincidentally the best final boss music in the series. definitely listen to it!

So, Nyx Avatar is probably one of the most infamous JRPG bosses possible. Not because they're especially difficult or anything, but... well, if you somehow don't know then you'll see.

Right off the bat, I'm gonna Auto the fight. Not a particularly big deal or anything.

Nyx Avatar has no real elemental resistances, but is flat immune to all ailments. All of them. Knock Down is kind of expected at this point, but they're immune to Shock and Freeze as well. That's just mean.

Oh and the reason I'm Autoing here is that they don't attack. Nyx Avatar just smiles and does nothing else. Autoing is most effective then, since it ensures other people just blitz 'em down nice and quick.

Nyx Avatar only has 1500 HP, 50 Strength, 50 Magic, 45 Endurance, 45 Agility, 45 Luck. Seems a bit underwhelmingly easy for the final boss, huh? As soon as that 1500HP runs out...

Entrusting his future to the cards, man clings to a dim hope.
Yes, the Arcana is the means by which all is revealed...

As an immediate action, Nyx Avatar uses the only move available to them as part of the Fool Arcana. Arcana Shift is really simple...

They summon a Tarot card, and change it from the current Major Arcana to the next one in sequential order. This gives Nyx a new max HP, stats, elemental resistances and move list. Technically ailment resists too, but they're all flat immune to everything so whatever.

Since the Magician Arcana specialises in Fire magic specifically, Nyx Avatar now uses nothing but Fire spells. All of them. Agi? Yep. Maragidyne? Yep. Fire Break if applicable too.

Be careful! Its properties have changed!

Yeah, since Nyx Avatar now uses Fire magic they drain Fire stuff too. That's kind of an odd outlier, honestly.

Oh, nearly forgot. Nyx Avatar gets two turns in a row. At least the turn order here is nice enough to tell you that. This applies to all stages of the fight from this point onwards (hence this being taken from way later, whan I remembered to look at it).

Each phase of this fight has its own HP bar (which are almost all 1500), which is both understandable but REALLY loving annoying. It means you can't skip through the fight any faster and any excess damage does not carry over between stages. Do more than 1500 damage per phase and the rest is just wasted. Do over 3k (somehow)? Too bad, didn't help.

After another 1500, they go from the Magician to the High Priestess which means...

We're in the Ice phase of the fight now. Same as the Fire one, but with Ice magic.

As a result, they now drain Ice instead of Fire.

Oh and all non-Fool stages have the same basic attack. It's kinda mean, since it's friggin' Almighty elemental...

...hits everyone and can crit! That's just mean.

The early stages of this fight are pretty simple and uninteresting, for the most part. The Empress means that now Nyx isn't Ice, but...

Wind. Yep, that's it. That's the big change here.

So, let's just skip to the Emperor which as you might expect?

Makes the transition from Wind to Elec. That's pretty ho hum, but there's one other change as of the Empress.

Nyx no longer drains anything. The highest resists get from hereon in is Null.

Good news is after Emperor things get different and interesting! Bad news is Hierophant is not a good example of that.

I mean, sure, Nyx Avatar now has Rebellion and Revolution to boost crit rates...

But that helps us just as much as it hinders us, if not moreso.

Oddly, Hierophant Nyx Avatar nulls Strike only which took me a second to realise why. Strike was sorta Shinjiro's element and he was a Hierophant. I guess it's symbolic or something?

...But Nyx Avatar doesn't use Strike moves in this phase. At all. Fatal End is Slash and Almighty Attack is, well, Almighty. I dunno.

Lovers is, well...

Lovers. Mind elemental ailments aplenty.

Wind immunity is back, because it's Yukari's Arcana.

In this phase, Nyx Avatar does ailment attack > Almighty Attack every round. Most of the time it's Pulinpa/Tentarafoo/Marin Karin but sometimes the lead-in is Holy Arrow. It gets annoying to keep up with, and this fight is loooooong and...

It can be very SP intensive, so I'm gonna do an unusual thing and sometimes use Somas for the group SP healing more than anything else. Nothing else can restore multiple people's SP at once after all.

Lovers is a bit tedious and annoying, so what about Chariot?

Well, they've finally got a Strike attack. :v:

And are immune to physicals. Sure, okay. You can't see it here, but Chariot Nyx Avatar is functionally weak to Fire/Ice/Force/Elec.

As in, takes 150% damage which makes this stage of the fight really quick and easy.

Probably for the best, because Power Charge is dangerous and not something you want to see a lot of. Or any of, ideally.

But after Chariot comes Justice. And Justice is bad.

Nyx Avatar just spams the poo poo out of Expel elemental instant death spells.

They don't have Hama Boost but good loving Lord does it hit more often than it should.

Not even needed here, but they can cast Tarukaja now too. For some reason.

Oh and also they're immune to both Fire and Ice now for some reason. I genuinely don't know this time. It's just cruel for the sake of cruel, really.

After enduring that slog, that brings us along to the Hermit phase.

Which, of course, now includes the Curse elemental instant death spells despite that not being this phase's gimmick. They're just there as a gently caress you.

...Just like Makarakarn and Tetrakarn, really.

Instead, Hermit brings a return to ailments. No Charm this time, instead swapping it out for Poison. A change I'm okay with, really. Mostly. Poison is technically crueller because party member AI cannot handle folks being poisoned and freaks the gently caress out when it happens. I'll defend it for a lot of things, but the AI sure ain't perfect.

Hermit Nyx Avatar also has Foul Breath just to make them stick a bit more often, but not enough to care.

You probably thought after Justice that the Hermit would null both Elec and Wind, right? Pfft, nope. Just Wind.

Remember, each of these phases has 1500HP and get increasingly more annoying to cut through over time. And "annoying" is a great word for the Wheel of Fortune.

Nyx goes back to regular magic attacks, but this time they have all of them All 6 from all 4 elements and nothing else. No Breaks, no Buffs, no top secret special things. Just ST/MT 1st tier, 2nd tier and dyne.

So, of course, they're immune to all four elements here. No extra increase to Physical damage to compensate unlike the Chariot.

Strength comes next, then, and you know what this means.

A switch back to Phys immune. No magic weakness this time, though.

Oddly, Rakunda instead of Tarukaja is way smarter here because of the two-turns a round thing.

Not like they need it, when Strengh Nyx Avatar can drop loving Power Charge Deathbounds. That's just plain lethal and mean this late into a fight that takes forever.

That's the only real trick there, though. How about the Hanged Man?

On paper, neutral to everything at last. Hurray!

...Except, whoops, Hanged Man Nyx Avatar resists Slash, Strike, Pierce. 25% damage reduction that's not mentioned anywhere.

But that's not the mean thing here. No, this is.

Mind Charge > Megidola. Just Megidola, mercifully, but...

...That's all they need. Since we're not overpowered to poo poo here, Nyx Avatar's Megidola is dangerous.

Oh and Hanged Man is also the actual Curse elemental specialist phase for good measure. Complete with Fear and Ghastly Wail. Just like the Justice one, but with real power and more dangerous tricks.

Entrusting his future to the cards, man clings to a dim hope.
Yet, the Arcana is the means by which all is revealed...
Beyond the beaten path lies the absolute end.
It matters not who you are... Death awaits you.

So, after beating the Hanged Man, Nyx switches to the Death arcana...

Battle Hymn of the Soul (Reincarnation)

And the real fight finally starts.

Yes, seriously. The previous 12 phases with a combined 18,000HP between them were the loving prologue.

In this phase, Nyx Avatar just stops messing around with gimmicky poo poo and actually fights for real.

In addition to now having 6000HP, this is also the first time their stats have changed. They're now an SMTIV demon with 55 across the board, and also secretly takes half damage from every element but Almighty. Because gently caress you, this fight is gonna take forever. Deal with it. No, Breaks don't work because this isn't an on-paper resist; it's just the actual internal elemental damage calculation. Use Almighty or deal with Nyx Avatar now being an ubertank.

Or, if you're a high enough level, tell 'em to gently caress off and drop Armageddon. That works too.

When you finally get through about 15-2000 HP, Nyx Avatar decides to quip for a second...

And use the first of their two unique moves.

Moonless Gown is both more and less dangerous.

It's just a permanent, unbreakable barrier that repels all attacks. Even Almighty ones. Debuffs are the only thing that aren't repelled.

It might theoretically last forever, but in practice it doesn't. Two rounds after its cast, Nyx Avatar casts it again and its dispelled. You have to wait it out and it's annoying.

Oh yeah and just in case you decide to use that time to buff and heal? Doesn't matter. Nyx Avatar finally has Dekaja here too. Not many bosses have that at all, so of course Nyx Avatar does, just because. This is both good and bad because, well, it uses one of their two turns no matter what. It's bad because you really kinda want buffs here to make this not an eternal slog.

It does help with Aigis' AI being terrible at buffing, though, since she'll prioritise in weird ways and often cast buffs that only she, personally, is missing even if there's another one that no one has. Rakukaja on no one and Tarukaja on everyone but herself? Matarukaja it is!

...The AI has its issues, yes. This is an odd time to be bringing them up, but I've mentioned Aigis' wacky and dumb buff priorities before, at least. Offhandedly, but still.

Once down to about 1500, Nyx Avatar busts out their OTHER super move.

Night Queen is way more dangerous and potentially an instant fight ender.

Not for its damage. It's technically Megidola tier Almighty, but it rolls every ailment to see what it does. It does this separately for everyone. This move is the entire reason I have been sitting on Narcissus Flowers for dozens upon dozens of hours. If Charm procs here, and someone Diarahans Nyx Avatar, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Get through that, though, and the fight will finally, for real, eventually end. Eventually.

...Nyx Avatar gives EXP. Why does Nyx Avatar give EXP. (Makoto even levelled up from the final boss.)

Silence

Gonna guess "no" on this one, since Nyx Avatar just gets floats back upwards. Great. Really helps that feeling of accomplishment.

You understand fate, yet you still fight against it with all of your will...
If more people were like you, then perhaps the Fall could have been prevented...
...but it's too late now.

Nyx

And so, we return once more to the animezone as Nyx Avatar floats upwards towards...

The moon!

But, the moon isn't just any ol' moon. Oh no, it turns out the moon is... alive? Maybe? That sure looks like a giant eye at least.

what is that!?

But, it's not an eye at all. Instead, it's an opening that Nyx Avatar shoots a beam of light(?) into...

This... This can't be real!
Soon...

Soon it will descend upon us... upon us all...

Meanwhile, back down on Tatsumi Port Island proper...

Things are changing. The coffins from transmogrifiation have disappeared.

Huh, what the...? I was...

And then there's a cavalcade of a bunch of folks reacting simultaneously...

...As they see what we can only presume is Nyx herself and freaking out. But, well, as you might expect...

Not everyone feels the same way there.

Cultist in Blue: Look at the moon, it's glorious!
Off-Screen Cultist: It's just as the prophecy foretold!
White Hoodie Cultist: The end of the world, it's really here, everything they said was true!

And as they revel in the coming of that which they desired...

They explode and melt into goo. Similar to what we've seen people do when they were attacked directly by Shadows...

Silence

Ha... Hahaha... Hahahahaha!
You...!

Shut up...!
But, what're we gonna do!?
...!? Something's coming!

That it is. Nyx Avatar is still up there sustaining the beam of light into the... maybe moon...

...while Tartarus is beginning to shake.

What is this...?
This is... nothing...
How ridiculous...
Are you out of your mind?
Look who's talking!
Death is imminent... Surely you know this...
What do you hope to accomplish now?
I wanted to see the end wth my own eyes... Jin...

And then Takaya just... passes out again.

Aigis, meanwhile, sees what's going on and...

I will never give up! Never!

Since it worked oh so well last time, she activates Orgia Mode again. Remember that? Turns out it's just as garbage as I thought.

Why resist that which is inevitable? You will only suffer...
Dammit, I won't back down!

I've made up my mind... I'll fight to the end!
Aaahhh!

Nyx herself just shoots out this black wave aura thing that... knocks people the gently caress out.

Ken!

Like, everyone. Even Aigis is floored by it. Orgia Mode proving its use in cutscenes rivals in combat.

Son of a...!
We've come this far!
I will not submit!

It even knocked Makoto out, promptly bringing an end to the animezone.

Mistic

Understandably, the folks who aren't in Takaya's little death cult are either slowly giving up, terrified and trying to flee...

Or actual named characters looking up and watching.

That's basically just some of our old S.Link buddies. Notably not all of them, though.

Also, Officer Kurosawa is there too.

...just like Fuuka was when she saved me...
I'm the one who said we'll always be connected...
That's how I know you're still hanging in there, Fuuka.
I'm scared as hell right now...
but I won't give up!
Right, Fuuka!?

End

Been a while since we last saw this, but we're being dragged back to the Velvet Room...

The Poem For Everyone's Soul

This isn't the afterlife... You're still alive.
Do you remember what I once told you...?
How the strength of your Social Links will determine your potential?
Listen... Can you hear the many voices?
Each one's power is limited... Yet, they all reach out to you...
Can you feel them?
Yes, I sense them...
Close your eyes and listen carefully... Their voices may be faint, but certainly you hear them...

Mistic

Now this thing is Special. We'll get to it in a second. It's unique and very important.

> The powerful emotions of your friends and loved ones are flowing into your heart...

Everyone who appears at this point is an S.Link that was maxed (SEES members not included). They're in Arcana order, since that's the most convenient and easy which is fine with me.

All I can do right now is pray...
But, whatever it is, man... I know you can do it.

But, I truly believe that you can overcome any obstacle.

That's right, dear... Makoto-chan wouldn't want us to lose hope...

So, I won't lose my cool, either. You taught me that.

So please, hang in there...!

I don't even know what he looks like, but I hope he's okay... He has to be... I can feel it.

You were there when I needed you... I hope I can do the same...

I know you must be doing everything you can, so I will too!

You showed me how to be tough!
I won't give up.

I am 'ere for you... like you were zere for me!

Well, I suppose you did teach me a thing or two about loyalty...

Well, you taught me that runnin' away never solves nothin'...
...So I'm here for ya, kid.

You taught me that, Makoto... I bet you're fighting right now too, huh...

I'm sure you've got things under control, right? You always do.

But, you can't just give up... You taught me that.

Akinari being here is the only one that's maybe a little weird, since his link explicitly ended with his spirit leaving this world for the next. I'm not complaining, it just stands out some.

Can you hear them?
These are the voices of hope that wish to help you...

Now is the time to draw on the true strength of the bonds you have forged!

This is indeed a surprise...
Behold the last power you and I shall unveil...
It is the power to bring about a new beginning, or the ultimate end.
It may be possible now, with this newfound power...
You may be able to defeat the one who cannot be defeated.

The Universe Arcana is to The World what Aeon is Judgement. The equivalent numerically from the Thoth deck. What makes it important, however, is that this is the only time in the series the Universe Arcana is even mentioned or used. Makoto is, canonically, the most powerful Persona protagonist by default at this point.

We don't get to see its design here, unfortunately. While you can see the card spinning in this scene, its face is blank. The fourth movie just gives it The World's design, which is fair enough since that otherwise wouldn't appear (and it only appears once in-game too).

Nothing is outside the realm of possibility for you now.
We will soon reach your destination.

You must accept your destiny.
Our contract has been fulfilled. I have completed my role as well.
...You were truly a remarkable guest.

Burn My Dread
covers the rest of the update, just watch this instead really

As Elizabeth promised, the Velvet Room elevator is finally coming to a stop as it reaches its destination at last...

Determination

The elevator begins to open its actual door; the giant wall of chains behind Igor and Elizabeth. And beyond it...

We'll never know. Instead, we're back outside to Tartarus and the real world.

As Tartarus continues to shake, the members of SEES are able to try and pull themselves back up off the ground. Who knows how long its really been since the last pulse from Nyx, though. Probably only a few seconds.

While they don't succeed, Makoto stands without issue...

And stares face to... giant eye thing... with Nyx.

Before he flies off towards her.

What the!?

No, don't go!
What is he doing?
Dammit, why the hell can't I stand up?

Why, after all we've been through...

Stop, don't do this! Come back!!

Mistic

Inside Nyx's outer shell, things look really weird as Makoto just floats towards the center unimpeded.

Though we do get this really cool shot of him, like, seeing forever as he continues on...

...until he finally comes face-to-face with innermost core. Nyx's true form.

And the invisible hands of Death that are always behind you...

Nyx

Burn My Dread -Last Battle- (Reincarnation)

The final fight is, like the first, a fight that Makoto does on his own. That one was by circumstance, this one is by necessity.

Nyx only has one attack, but it lives up to its name.

Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. It comes for all in the end. It cannot be avoided. It cannot be blocked.

We cannot Rush, though we cannot do anything but attack right now anyway. Our Personae from before are all gone. We have no items.

All we can do is attempt to fight back in vain. Nyx cannot be defeated.

Don't give up! We have to believe in him!
Give him strength! Take my life if you must!

...So, yeah, Nyx is just a glorified cutscene.

Somehow, the Power of Friendship(TM) makes Death miss the third time its used.

Yeah, I'm willing to risk mine too!
He's going to face it all by himelf!
No, he's not alone! I won't let him die!

Slowly, the tide is turning. While Nyx still cannot be defeated, Death is not anything to fear.

*bark* *bark*
I won't allow this world to be destroyed!
Alright, let's do this...

Being this close to Death allows Makoto to hear Shinjiro's voice one last time. Unlike the others, Shinji's line is just pure audio without subtitles.

And as we, and Makoto, can see we've gained the power of the Universe officially.

Death is inevitable and comes for all. Nyx, as the personification of Death, cannot be defeated. She can, however, be sealed...

Silence

Without the fear of death, the evoker is useless. It cannot be used to force a Persona to manifest anymore. But it's not needed. Not here...

Mistic

Did Nyx create this place? ...Or, was it him?
Is he alright, Fuuka!? What happened!?

Don't tell me he...
No! That can't be!
Try again! He can't be the only one...!

Dammit... Not again...!
We all decided to put our lives on the line...
In fact, we came here knowing we would most likely die.
How could I be so powerless...?

You're there, aren't you!? I know you are!
I refuse to believe that you're gone!
Answer me!
I know you can hear me!
We're here! Please let us hear your voice!

> Everyone is desperately calling out to you.

It's alright...

...!?

The "familiar voice" isn't a coy way of making Makoto speak in a cutscene and not say as much. Intstead, it's Ryoji. Like, normal Ryoji and not Nyx Avatar.

That voice...!?
I will sleep once again.
Normal days will return to this universe, for you... and for him.
...!

It just happened a bit sooner than it will for the rest of you.
Life's greatest question...
Aigis... You'll find the answer one day as well.
You, too, are a precious living thing...
You just need to realize how the bonds of friendship have changed you...

All will truly be reliquished from its dominion, and the legacy of life will continue.
Congratulations, you have the miracle you sought.
We shall meet again some day...

Silence

Told you there'd be a lot of animated scenes here. This is the last one though, don't worry.

As everyone is watching, the bells of Tartarus are ringing once again. This time though...

It truly signals the end. Tartarus itself begins to disappear.

Almost everyone has a happy reaction at this point, at least. Almost...

But Aigis doesn't. She sees something that no one else noticed.

And as she begins to cry, relieved that Makoto is still alive...

The moon reverts back to normal. The Dark Hour is over.

> Tartarus and the Dark Hour have disappeared.

> By an unexpected miracle, the world was saved from the Fall.

> Peace was restored, and people resumed their busy lives.

> No one remembered anything about the extraordinary turn of events.

End

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 2, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I plowed though this fight with ease thanks to having ground out my team to level 99 in the bonus dungeon. On another note can we post the fan comic riffing on our sociopathic protagonist?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Congratulations on beating the game, Dragonatrix. I know the LP isn't over yet, but I bet it's a nice feeling to be done with the game part at least.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Funfact™ if you go straight to the Nyx fight after reaching the top of Tartarus, you're around level 73 and the fight takes 1.5-2 hours.

Funfact™ #2 I wasted large parts of my life.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Tendronai posted:

Funfact™ if you go straight to the Nyx fight after reaching the top of Tartarus, you're around level 73 and the fight takes 1.5-2 hours.

Yeah, uh, this is the reason why I just said gently caress it and rerecorded (and took about a week to get around to it...) because the original version was ~80 minutes for the fight alone and I was not gonna deal with that poo poo, or expect anyone else sit through it either. :v:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 18, 2018

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I can see what they were going for in the long preamble and the long "real" fight but oh my god that's just way too long

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The fight itself may be a hellish test of endurance, but I'm quite fond of the presentation. The music of course, but also the way Nyx Avatar walks you through the fool's journey, everyone else in the city finally seeing the Dark Hour, and the way everything kind of dissolves into pure abstraction once Nyx herself (itself?) is on the scene.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Hunt11 posted:

On another note can we post the fan comic riffing on our sociopathic protagonist?
You rang? (Source, Timg'd for tall)

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
As annoying as it is for Nyx to basically no-sell the fight after being a ridiculous marathon fight, this is probably one of the best executions of story/gameplay syncing I've seen. She's been built up to be this unstoppable juggernaut.... and that plays out in the gameplay. The fight's tiring and wears on you, but even still you and the characters push forward with your determination to challenge fate.

I won't say that it looks fun to PLAY, mind you, but this is where I feel the storytelling aspect of Persona 3 is at it's best, at least.

Edit: The comic's hilarious, but honestly for 4 of those situations, Mr. Sociopath is totally justified

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 18, 2018

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Nyx is a super memorable final boss that brought us many great moments, such as DSP's ragequit that even Atlus made fun of him for.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The audio in 117b is desynced.

Other than that, it's cool to see the ending of this finally. I know Atlus has a particular oeuvre with its games and in particular Persona got really into strains of Enlightenment mysticism that I'm not that familiar with, but honestly I preferred the less esoteric philosophy from DDS that drew from Buddhism.

At some point I would still love to see a video game take on the Faust legend - including the Polish variant that ends with the protagonist stuck on the loving moon.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

The entire finale is incredibly epic (assuming you don't lose), and I'll always fondly remember it but gosh is it not something I'd ever want to actually play again.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

The audio in 117b is desynced.

Wait, is it? I could've sworn I checked already and it was fine...

edit: gently caress, it is! Okay, gonna need to redo that then.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

And it's been fixed now. Hopefully. :ohdear:

I checked it twice and it sounded fine at least.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

SoundwaveAU posted:

Nyx is a super memorable final boss that brought us many great moments, such as DSP's ragequit that even Atlus made fun of him for.

When did this happen? That sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Yukari posted:

When did this happen? That sounds amazing.

I dunno when it happened, but the story goes that Nyx charmed two of his characters and they cast Diarahan on it. This was on easy mode. He then ragequit (after being paid to finish the game) and Atlus USA's official Youtube channel left a comment on the video saying "The charm salt is real".