Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
BAKER VS TOO LEGIT 69428 99.80%
TEAM TAZ VS DARBY CODY 6 0.01%
BATTLE ROYAL 37 0.05%
KENNY VS MOX 99 0.14%
Total: 69570 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I did a write up on last nights impact episode in the ImpactxDark thread and after sleeping on it, I stand by 3 things:

1) Taya, Rosemary, Bey and Alexander are the ones who stood out as very good.

2) Kenny and Callis segment was EXCELLENT. It’s a highlight of 2020 promos if we are being honest. Many good promos in 2020 and this will go down as one of them. Callis has and always will be top tier in this department.

3) I bold this here too like I did in the other thread: Sami Callihan’s promo is arguably one of the worst promos in all of 2020 wrestling. It was unbelievably bad, especially from a veteran. I was shocked to see just how horrible it was.

I did enjoy the Impact show overall though and enjoy seeing the rub they’re getting as it’s good for wrestling and those who want to make a living off it.

It’s a very, very, very minor league promotion and that’s ok! It presents itself as such and knows where it falls in the hierarchy of promotions. If they ever want to move up though, they need WAY better leadership and coaching though. Way better.

I sound critical but in the big picture, it was still fun and it was just nice to see people working together. Maybe it’s a spark to something fresh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Ron Killings’ ears perk up in catering.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ICR posted:

3) I bold this here too like I did in the other thread: Sami Callihan’s promo is arguably one of the worst promos in all of 2020 wrestling. It was unbelievably bad, especially from a veteran. I was shocked to see just how horrible it was.

It went on for soooo long as well.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Josh Matthews was fine for his role in the interview segment, but how is he so drat hoarse when he's commentating? Somebody get this guy some voice lessons.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Penguin Patrol posted:

Josh Matthews was fine for his role in the interview segment, but how is he so drat hoarse when he's commentating? Somebody get this guy some voice lessons.

A lot of episodes got taped at once I assume. Probably tore up his cords.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

tao of lmao posted:

A lot of episodes got taped at once I assume. Probably tore up his cords.

Apparently, they have finished taping stuff up till the end of the year.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I liked when Sami said "roll that beautiful bean footage"

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

That sami promo was easily one of the worst promos i’ve heard. His delivery was fine but the content loving sucked, and calling yourself “the draw” even as a heel is stupid.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

tao of lmao posted:

That sami promo was easily one of the worst promos i’ve heard. His delivery was fine but the content loving sucked, and calling yourself “the draw” even as a heel is stupid.

Can't believe you would insult Chris Jericho like this.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sami Callahan managed to pull an inverted Eddie Kingston for me in that after listening to him for about two minutes I decided that I'd rather do anything besides hearing what he had to say.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

A supremely talented heel world champ going around acting all patronizing towards the smaller promotions is some classic territory era Ric Flair poo poo, and I'm all for it.

Maaaaan, Kenny Omega with Flair promo abilities...

Also Flair toured around with his NWA title, right? This is a bit different if Kenny's plan is really to build plate armor out of belts.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The "Million Viewer That One Time Man" is definitely gonna block you from twitter when he hears about this

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If they're going to pull the trigger on this territory revival act, it's a shame it had to happen when drawing to live shows was actively irresponsible

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

So, Kenny is pulling into Dynamite tonight in the Lex Express and will probably have some terrible (great), moving music video tribute to himself based on the Impact promo. But he also mentioned that he was going to be have some huge surprise.

Speculation on what that could be?

If he's doing the "conquer every promotion" thing, I guess it could be something to do with that and maybe something about AAA? Does that constitute a huge surprise? Or is the surprise going to be him being an insufferable dick with a Lex Express bus and wild celebration/entrance?

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Ok I actually went and watched this Sami promo to see how bad it was, and the only thing I can remember is "roll that beautiful bean footage"

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Ganso Bomb posted:

So, Kenny is pulling into Dynamite tonight in the Lex Express and will probably have some terrible (great), moving music video tribute to himself based on the Impact promo. But he also mentioned that he was going to be have some huge surprise.

Speculation on what that could be?

If he's doing the "conquer every promotion" thing, I guess it could be something to do with that and maybe something about AAA? Does that constitute a huge surprise? Or is the surprise going to be him being an insufferable dick with a Lex Express bus and wild celebration/entrance?

I'm betting on him showing up in a helicopter. Maybe the announcement is that he's going to DDT to face Endo?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He said it was related to Lex the same way the bus is. Did lex show up via chopper at any point? My other guesses are going to be a shocking debut like lex on nitro, or he's going to kill Ms. Elizabeth.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Vince MechMahon posted:

He said it was related to Lex the same way the bus is. Did lex show up via chopper at any point? My other guesses are going to be a shocking debut like lex on nitro, or he's going to kill Ms. Elizabeth.

He did once on the USS Intrepid to body slam Yokozuna, but I think that was the only time. That was also his big face turn. I guess it'd be appropriate for Kenny to show up in a helicopter and body slam, I dunno, Marko Stunt to cement his heel turn.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah, he showed up in a chopper on the USS Intrepid and body-slammed Yokozuna.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Pylons posted:

I'm betting on him showing up in a helicopter. Maybe the announcement is that he's going to DDT to face Endo?

i think kenny omega dropping the AEW, IMPACT and AAA titles to endo would own, imo.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i think kenny omega dropping the AEW, IMPACT and AAA titles to endo would own, imo.

Oh gosh, is Kenny actually going to beat Laredo Kid now?? Gotta keep Them Belts.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Deathlove posted:

Oh gosh, is Kenny actually going to beat Laredo Kid now?? Gotta keep Them Belts.

There was very little chance of Kenny not beating Laredo Kid before this angle and now I'd say there's even less.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ICR posted:

1) Taya, Rosemary, Bey and Alexander are the ones who stood out as very good.
Yeah I was actually shocked how bad Deonna Perozzo and Kimber Lee looked. They've both been way better in the past, so maybe it was just a bad night.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want Kenny to get his poo poo kicked in, in international waters. Setup another cruise, no fans, just beat the poo poo out of each other throughout an entire ship.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pylons posted:

Can't believe you would insult Chris Jericho like this.

Jericho actually is a draw so it's not as bad when he does it.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheDonCallis/status/898019274832445441?s=20

Top tier

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

CombineThresher posted:

Jericho actually is a draw so it's not as bad when he does it.

And in any given promo you might hear jericho say “demo god” once. Not 10 times in a row like callahan did.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Vince MechMahon posted:

I thought this was referring to the announcement, not his mode of transportation.

theres only one clear answer.

hes going to become best friends with sting

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

This was so good.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

This was so good.

It really is so good.

It’s one of those things we’ll look back on 2020 wrestling and say it was a defining moment.

So, Moxley is gonna be 2020 wrestler of the year really. He was the best out of all promotions. Roman will probably be #2. This for North American promotions.

But I just have a feeling 2021 is going to be, and I looked this up for the Chinese New Year, and oh, wouldn’t you know it, it literally says right here in my Farmer’s Almanac that 2021 is called Year of the Kenny.

Yep, it’s gonna be Year of the Kenny and I’m already calling it, as long as Kenny stays healthy, he will be wrestler of the year and stake his claim to North American casual fans as the best. Not just the best, but possibly the FACE OF WRESTLING. The battle lines won’t exist between the war of brands. This is a move to bring wrestling fans and wrestling prominence back.

Callis needs to stick with him for awhile. He’s going to add a lot to cover up the very few weaknesses that Kenny has. Callis a storyteller. He conveys emotion and spirit very well. He will stake his claim as a manager and key figure in wrestling for 2021 as well.

This is all people are talking about right now. Eyes are currently all over this angle and every single week, their segments are going to get heavy eyes on them and be scrutinized to the second.

Both of these men are incredibly smart and I have high expectations that I believe will be met.

This isn’t a battle for Impact. It’s not a battle for AEW. It’s not a battle for any other promotion out there.

This storyline is currently about wrestling. It’s about a revival and gaining more prominence in the art of sport.

2021 is the Year of the Kenny and wrestling is going to have a little weight on Kenny’s shoulders that he is going to be judged on for the year. He will not be seen and viewed solely as an AEW Wrestler when 2021 gets rolling. I believe he will be known as Wrestling in itself in 2021. That’s how big this can and should get.

I expect him to nail the expectations.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

https://twitter.com/refaubrey/status/1336733790035533824?s=21

Man, this feels like a lot of stuff for one show.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

4 segments, 6 matches, and the women's division only gets a squash

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lotta AEW Dark looking segments on that show

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Guessing they open with the TH2 vs. Bucks match because that'll be PWG as gently caress.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

This is a long post, but I hope you read it. It’s therapeutic for me—I really love the community and I forget that sometimes. I’m a huge social and people person and things just feel good today. I like that feeling. Stay with me if you’re bored and looking for a read. There’s a lot of things I really love in my life and the world and wrestling is one of them. Here we go:

Let me add something as I’ve been getting up to speed with all the great posts here. It’s been awesome to read the past few pages I guess I missed as I cooled off on seeing Jaxson loving Ryker back in a WWE ring last weekend. Happy days happy days happy days, just keep saying that, me! You got this! Woo woo woo! Ok here we go:

I’m so excited to see a tide get turned in WRESTLING right now. I currently don’t see battles between brands as of right now. It just feels different.

I read some of the worst of the worst on the internet boards for wrestling and even lately, it’s been more positive than normal. More eyes have been on it than normal too. People are starting to pay attention to other wrestlers and get invested.

Most importantly in all of this, real, true alternatives exist for people to make a living and have fun making a living off wrestling. I never thought I would say that in 2020, and it’s not entirely true because indies are shut down right now. But wrestlers are really pulling for each other and people are reaching across the aisle to better one another.

It’s not as big of a joke as it has been. Somethings changing in the air as a whole. I attribute that to the executives at the companies who are putting it out there that they want to “save” wrestling and make it a better place than where it was. Stories are being told that are chapters in a book instead of a 16 page children’s book about caterpillars and if they go to heaven. Ok, that’s a stretch, they definitely do and I can prove it but that’s for a different day!

The authenticity of wrestlers finding their role and their niche is really being defined right now. I know there’s technically this artificial war between some brands right now, but that luster is wearing off, especially as we see programs like Dark say, “Come be part of our brand and get your reps in. Get your name out there. See if there’s a spot for you.” Wrestlers are paying attention to the Universe of Wrestling as I’ll call it here to see what’s going on around them. It’s like this whole other world and people are finding their place in it.

I know who guys like VSK and Dani Jordyn and Josh Alexander and Watts and Thunder Rosa and all these other talents that exist, are good at what they do, and they get to exist in a GIANT WORLD as opposed to a little, exclusive playground.

I’m going to look back on 2020 and feel as if wrestling got bigger. Don’t mind the ratings. Don’t mind what you read or see. It really did get bigger. Brands got bigger. Wrestlers got better. Things were discovered.

I said this about a week ago that many days, it’s easy to feel ashamed to be a wrestling fan. I remember when it used to be a shame to be a video game player. “Oh, that person is a nerd!” “Oh, they have no friends!” “What a dumb hobby to have!”

Now, you’re in the minority if you don’t play games. It’s not as weird, if weird at all! Wrestling has more growth ahead of it but this year took leaps and bounds over what it was.

It’s going to get better and better, I can feel it coming. This coming year is going to be a pivotal year for wrestling as a whole. Not sports entertainment. Not sports. Not entertainment. But wrestling, as a whole. We’re going to define it by the wrestlers themselves and not the brand they’re part of or this and that. It’s going to grow and so will the talent that are part of it because they are invested more and being invested in more.

Let’s just say with a fun little quote that many of us know: “We are just...getting...started!”

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Yeah, it kinda rules.

I wonder what the main event is? One of the tag matches or a talking segment?

Hopefully they find a good balance between promo segments and matches. There was an episode a few weeks back that had things lined up in a weird way that kind of hurt the flow of the show IMO.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Pylons posted:

There was very little chance of Kenny not beating Laredo Kid before this angle and now I'd say there's even less.

I was definitely of the impression that this was a "can we have our belt back now" sort of thing! neat! good!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Deathlove posted:

I was definitely of the impression that this was a "can we have our belt back now" sort of thing! neat! good!

Belts are not super important in Lucha, they mostly put the belt on Kenny so they'd get eyes on AAA.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Ganso Bomb posted:

Yeah, it kinda rules.

I wonder what the main event is? One of the tag matches or a talking segment?

Hopefully they find a good balance between promo segments and matches. There was an episode a few weeks back that had things lined up in a weird way that kind of hurt the flow of the show IMO.

I would bet either the 6-man or MJF/OC mains. Bucks/TH2 almost certainly opens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

It's incredibly funny that the bar is so low in professional wrestling that "A pre-announced list of 10 segments in a two-hour show" feels noteworthy. But, by contrast, so far NXT has advertised their men's champion appearing and that's it