Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheetah7071 posted:

Its distilled alcoholic cider. It has the same relation to cider as whiskey does to beer, more or less

So apple brandy? That'd probably be alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

Anyone have any reccs for good hard cider brands? All this chat is making me curious whether or not my default one (woodchuck) is all that good relatively speaking. Also, gonna go look for some applejack the next time I go beer shopping.

Also also, if anyone ever goes to Jamaica you should try the flavored Red Stripe beers (lemon and hibiscus) which should taste like rear end going by the description but defying all odds actually taste good?

never had flavored red stripe but regular red stripe is an underrated beer imo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Any of you ever had Pennsylvania Swankey?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKAk2c8KfNE

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Zaphod42 posted:

So apple brandy? That'd probably be alright.

Yeah it's quite nice

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Weedle posted:

never had flavored red stripe but regular red stripe is an underrated beer imo

I don’t really care for lagers in general but red stripe is okay, I’ve had a lot in a very relative sense since my family is Jamaican and all. You can find most Jamaican stuff like Wray and Nephew in the states but I think their flavored stuff is pretty new cause I only had it two years ago when I went down there.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I didn't drink until I was 22 and then I very quickly realized that as soon as I got a little drunk, all I could really focus on was trying to get more and more drunk. Alcoholism runs in my family and I'm glad I didn't start earlier, I'm not sure if I would have realized what was going on.

Thankfully I got completely messed up like three times in the course of a few months and basically stopped drinking. Still don't really.

Anyway, keep on you chatty gamer folks!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

External Organs posted:

I didn't drink until I was 22 and then I very quickly realized that as soon as I got a little drunk, all I could really focus on was trying to get more and more drunk. Alcoholism runs in my family and I'm glad I didn't start earlier, I'm not sure if I would have realized what was going on.

Thankfully I got completely messed up like three times in the course of a few months and basically stopped drinking. Still don't really.

Anyway, keep on you chatty gamer folks!

I have a ton of alcoholics in my family but somehow I lucked out because if I'm not at a college party where people are telling me to drink every so often, I can only ever drink like 2 beers max and then I just forget to drink any more.

Also now that I'm getting older half the time I drink alcohol I just feel physically awful. Probably need to drink more water or something but eh whatever I'll just drink less that works too.

I drink a lot of beer but in small quantities at a time, and I've recently discovered I love Sake. Used to drink lots of whiskey, never got a palette for wine though.

But as we all know, gamers don't drink alcohol they drink Mountain Dew!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I will forever associate Red Stripe with the "beer summit" Obama set up because he didn't want to take the heat for calling a cop a "jackass" for arresting Henry Louis Gates in his own home

I will report on the first hard cider I got, "Steamworks Honeycrisp Delicious" (feels on brand for the game thread)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Anyone have any reccs for good hard cider brands? All this chat is making me curious whether or not my default one (woodchuck) is all that good relatively speaking. Also, gonna go look for some applejack the next time I go beer shopping.

If there are any local cideries near you, try them out, there are some popping up in a bunch of places (if you're in the US). As far as nationwide availability, Angry Orchard is pretty widely available and pretty good. If you can get Wyder's, try their Reposado, which is aged in tequila barrels and pretty delicious.

Stella Artois makes a pretty decent cider, too. My girlfriend also recommends Ace Cider's blood orange cider if you can find it. It's called SpACE I think going by google?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

when i was researching ciders for today the reviews were all dunking on angry orchard so i stayed away

Edit: well now that I double checked they all seem to be pretty good... sigh

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 13, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

when i was researching ciders for today the reviews were all dunking on angry orchard so i stayed away

Angry Orchard's fine. To go back to what started this conversation, it's kinda like the PBR of ciders. Widely available and tastes fine at best but has no real special qualities beyond being easy to get and not too expensive.

I mentioned it because my girlfriend prefers it to Woodchuck as far as the "you can find this anywhere" ciders go.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i have never had a single drink of alcohol in my life so i cannot participate in this conversation!

i thought about buying pack of Vermintide 2 DLC but then decided i'll maybe wait for it to go on sale

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Angry orchard is my favorite cider thats common enough to be on supermarket shelves. To do better you need to go to a bar or a specialty place

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

cheetah7071 posted:

Angry orchard is my favorite cider thats common enough to be on supermarket shelves. To do better you need to go to a bar or a specialty place

The special brews they do for the holidays are great, just so difficult to find.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In my experience some of the angry orchard flavors are much better than others

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i respect everygamer's choice vis a vis adult substances but a hoot or twice of something nice during some gaming with buds is top shelf

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I like water

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

People upset about Angry Orchard just don't want to drink the common brew. Its a solid dependable cider and is popular tor good reason. As mentioned their specialties are quite good. Is it the best on the market? Dunno that will come down to preference. Is it a great go-to safe cider for parties or personal use? Oh yeah.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Angry Orchard is definitely fine. And honestly, I'm a pretty big fan of their Rose, it's really good compared to other Angry Orchard flavors.

Past that like, all the stuff I like is local to my state. Ciderboys is a pretty strong brand though, they're mostly midwest but it looks like they've got some coastal locations too.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh, you know what? B. Nektar can be found in a lot of places around the US too. They're mostly mead but they've got plenty of good ciders too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Angry Orchard is definitely fine. And honestly, I'm a pretty big fan of their Rose, it's really good compared to other Angry Orchard flavors.

Past that like, all the stuff I like is local to my state. Ciderboys is a pretty strong brand though, they're mostly midwest but it looks like they've got some coastal locations too.

Yeah, Ciderboys is pretty good. I think they're from here in Wisconsin and I think they distribute pretty widely now?

There are some great ciders available from here in Madison, too, like the Rose from One Barrel Brewing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hot dogs and cider, that's a thing right?

This tastes like apple juice but boozy... which is pretty good. Crisp flavor, I like shandies and it's in that zone. I was worried about it being too sweet but it's not, I did pick a "dry" one on purpose though'

Edit: oh whew it's deceptively powerful... easy to drink and it just kinda hits you

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 13, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Austin Eastciders have a bunch of good ciders, the blood orange and pineapple are great.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

My brother played Control finally, and said the game sucks and that he doesn't like it. So I don't have a brother anymore, I guess.

I finished control but I found it too hard to enjoy. You can't adjust difficulty either (last I checked) or I deserve to get mocked for not changing it to easy. I'm not great at video games but I'm not terrible. I was on a pc with a gamepad and just died all the loving time.

Grouchio posted:

You'll get your brother back if he likes Returnal. It's been described to me as Control but far better.

I've got a friend who said demon's souls is too hard to play without assistance, and he said that he gave up on returnal and had to youtube the ending. Something about 'collect 3 things' or 'beat 3 bosses in a row' or something.

- Redreader, the 'It's too hard!' guy.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Never read beer reviews, it's like if every single website were Pitchfork

My favorite review from Pitchfork is giving Torches by Foster the People a 6.2 because the author said "It's my nieces favorite album, and if it's bland enough that a ten-year-old can love it, it's not very good then is it"

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Beer reviews are exclusively done by the sort of people who get tricked into complimenting the rich aroma and complex textures of dollar-store wine after being told it's actually a 10,000$ bottle

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

redreader posted:

I finished control but I found it too hard to enjoy. You can't adjust difficulty either (last I checked) or I deserve to get mocked for not changing it to easy. I'm not great at video games but I'm not terrible. I was on a pc with a gamepad and just died all the loving time.

I've got a friend who said demon's souls is too hard to play without assistance, and he said that he gave up on returnal and had to youtube the ending. Something about 'collect 3 things' or 'beat 3 bosses in a row' or something.

- Redreader, the 'It's too hard!' guy.

The difficulty settings are modular in Control, it's called Assist Mode. Look for it in game options

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Never read beer reviews, it's like if every single website were Pitchfork

My favorite review from Pitchfork is giving Torches by Foster the People a 6.2 because the author said "It's my nieces favorite album, and if it's bland enough that a ten-year-old can love it, it's not very good then is it"

Man that reviewer must have been high off their own farts

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Wamdoodle posted:

Man that reviewer must have been high off their own farts

Its hilarious how predictable their disdain used to be for any band that got too popular. Basically imagine any artist that got a ton of radio play, and they get a terrible review. Some of my favorite scores:

"Torches" by Foster the People: 6.2
"Demon Days" by Gorillaz: 6.9
"Carnavas" by Silversun Pickups: 5.0
"Hot Fuss" by The Killers: 5.2
"Black Holes and Revelations" by Muse: 5.2

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Its hilarious how predictable their disdain used to be for any band that got too popular. Basically imagine any artist that got a ton of radio play, and they get a terrible review. Some of my favorite scores:

"Torches" by Foster the People: 6.2
"Demon Days" by Gorillaz: 6.9
"Carnavas" by Silversun Pickups: 5.0
"Hot Fuss" by The Killers: 5.2
"Black Holes and Revelations" by Muse: 5.2

They've tried to revise history by posting a new 8.5 review, but the internet doesn't forget:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010708151510/http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/b/belle-and-sebastian/boy-with-the-arab-strap.shtml

Just fuckin lol

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I always like RPGs where the developers knew that alcohol did SOMETHING but weren’t quite sure what. “Uh… I guess it restores stamina? Like because uh maybe you forget you’re tired? Oh and that means it’s -intelligence! And hm maybe we make a horrible screen effect that nobody will like, just so people can feel the immersion.”

Like in Morrowind there’s one kind of brandy that fortifies willpower and endurance and then another brandy that fortifies strength and drains agility. Morrowind is a land of contrasts!

Oh and angry orchard is fine

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man the final puzzle/challenge for the helltaker anniversary patch feels like rear end. It's like frogger except everything is slippery.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

I always like RPGs where the developers knew that alcohol did SOMETHING but weren’t quite sure what. “Uh… I guess it restores stamina? Like because uh maybe you forget you’re tired? Oh and that means it’s -intelligence! And hm maybe we make a horrible screen effect that nobody will like, just so people can feel the immersion.”

Like in Morrowind there’s one kind of brandy that fortifies willpower and endurance and then another brandy that fortifies strength and drains agility. Morrowind is a land of contrasts!

Oh and angry orchard is fine

I fond it funny how many games take the time to make alcohol affect you, but its purely bad with no upside.

It seems silly to put all that effort into making items the player won't ever use.

Looking at you, Cyberpunk (and many others)

Course if they make alcohol give +5 str then half the players become alcoholics, so its a funky thing to balance when they can't actually replicate drunkiness.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the oblivion speedrun is funny because the player becomes a skooma junkie

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

I fond it funny how many games take the time to make alcohol affect you, but its purely bad with no upside.

It seems silly to put all that effort into making items the player won't ever use.

Looking at you, Cyberpunk (and many others)

Course if they make alcohol give +5 str then half the players become alcoholics, so its a funky thing to balance when they can't actually replicate drunkiness.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I liked how Yakuza 7 did it because alcohol it's usually a cheap and potent MP restorer but drinking too much gets you drunk, which is effectively confusion.

So it's like, you end up leaning on booze a bit but you don't want to go overboard and get too drunk. And once you're rich enough you can just kick your alcohol dependence entirely.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks for the reccs all, looking forward to trying all these and especially excited to look for applejack!

Also I just realized why applejack sounded familiar despite never hearing of it, it’s that cinnamon cereal people dunk on for tasting almost nothing like apples. That’s kinda weird that they named their cereal after a spirit...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

World of Warcraft has the most fun drunken mechanics that I’ve seen

The screen gets blurry
Your character drifts to the side a little when you run forward
In chat, your “s”s will randomly become “sh”s and sometimes you’ll get a “...hic!” added
Enemies’ level will be displayed a few levels lower than what they actually are

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Lol, that last one especially owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In Sea of Thieves if you get too drunk your character will constantly projectile vomit and if you hit someone in the face it blinds them for a second so naturally whenever I'm not piloting the ship I am the worst shipmate of all time.