Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Always mislunched when I'm sleeping. Cowards can never lunch me when I'm posting, I'm simply too powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Felt left out because I didn't get a masonry till day 3 and I feel like all the mathing was done by a selected few. Otherwise, cool game and more proof I'm bad as scum

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

wins32767 posted:

Thanks for running the game, it was a really interesting premise. One interesting variation would be to start in medias res with some people having randomly assigned masonries and some alterations to their base probabilities. I’d also boost the scum numbers to account for the inability to coordinate. Other than that this was a great poc!

I said as much, too. I had a big lot of fun, but most of it was off-thread picking at the math; as a social game with social interactions, this didn't really pan out, IMO. Impossible to actually blindly guess who's who from people having like 20 to 40% scum. There is no extra info to be had, and the "scum" don't really have a reason to behave differently apart from not wanting to be voted out... which a lot of us didn't want to get voted out this game, tbh, independently of alignment. You usually want to play gaem. So there was not much to talk about other than "who is PEARL".

I'm also concerned about the fact that fullclaiming names will probably break the setup, as knowing the townier codenames leaves you with a pool of the scummier subjects, and then you just kill/vote those out; you can't really fakeclaim a name without having the real player pipe up, and if two people claim one name, you just vote one out, and if it's the right one, you stab the other then vote them out. That's part of the reason I held on just throwing the solve we had into thread, it felt like it made things unfun. And good thing I did since I had slotted Shwinn on the wrong name for a good while, lol.

I did think it was interesting that the players being voted out at the start (pre-TMor) are players that somewhat tend to be misdunked in normal games, while people who usually don't catch that much heat (like Hal or Neverhelm) went unnoticed, unvoted and unkilled during... basically the entire game, tbh. Bif was killed a lot at the start but no one really voted her, which I also found funny. And no one would ever admit to stabbing TMor D1, lol.

All in all: had fun. The idea took a shitton of work, which is always to admire regardless of everything else. I concur that asymmetry between players is needed somewhere to make this a bit more mafialike, less puzzle game.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

PS: Before I forget, here is the game runner program's code.

https://github.com/bkimmett/quantumafia

Quackles fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 13, 2023