Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sorry, missed this. The Strat was honestly a complete clunker sound wise, and in general. It was heavy feeling though the neck was very comfortable and well made. The guitar had very little resonance and felt, well, dead I guess. The N3 pickups and S1 are a worse idea than even Gibsons robotuner thing. The single coil tones are okay at best but not very stratty. With the S1 engaged it sounds nothing like even mid level humbuckers. Go into your local GC with a $100 budget for a hh metal guitar and you'll sound a million times better than the S1 "humbucker" sound. The pots all felt different and very, very cheap. Clunky inconsistent rotation. The nut was improperly cut. And just for the record this was probably the best one at the shop and had a full setup. I wanted it to be my best guitar and #1 but comparing to my current #1 PRS it felt like a toy.

poo poo was bad. I love Fender but only for their Squier lines. Everything else I've played has been a big letdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

NTT posted:

Out of the 12 I think Sarabande hits the sweet spot of 'not incredibly complex' and 'interesting' so I think i'll try my hand at that one first.

Unless I was supposed to learn these in order lol...

https://soundcloud.com/jacob-staudt/carcassi-no-7-1-week-practice

Here's that same Carcassi piece with a few more days of working on it; it sounds a lot better! In particular I've been working on the section with the a-m-i 3 note bursts; that's a surprisingly hard technique coming from only picking. I'm not used to having my hand play fast for me.

You know, I always just listened to stuff like this and thought 'neat'. But for some reason, hearing your version and knowing that someone learned this and is playing it is really incredible to me for some reason. Like, maybe I just subconsciously assume classical guitarists just automatically knew how to play poo poo like this haha.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I just got an "orange micro-terror" out of the blue for my birthday. :dance:

I've never had an amp before and I think I just put this on a wish list at some point after seeing it in this thread, so I'm really excited to check it out but unfortunately won't be able to do so til tomorrow.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
They are fun little amps, but fair warning they are way louder than you'd expect from such a little package.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kekekela posted:

I just got an "orange micro-terror" out of the blue for my birthday. :dance:

I've never had an amp before and I think I just put this on a wish list at some point after seeing it in this thread, so I'm really excited to check it out but unfortunately won't be able to do so til tomorrow.

Wait, you've never had an amp? Like do you have a guitar that could plug into an amp, and if so why have you never had an amp before? :confused:

Also congrats Orange makes some good (but super loud) stuff.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Huh. I wouldn't mind a surprise micro-terror.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Faffel posted:

Huh. I wouldn't mind a surprise micro-terror.

Who wouldn't? :skeltal: enjoy

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Shugojin posted:

Wait, you've never had an amp? Like do you have a guitar that could plug into an amp, and if so why have you never had an amp before? :confused:

I've always just plugged into my laptop.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Did you get the little 8" speaker cabinet with it? The Micro Terror itself is just a head, and without a speaker to hook it up to, you're not going to be making much noise.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Schpyder posted:

Did you get the little 8" speaker cabinet with it? The Micro Terror itself is just a head, and without a speaker to hook it up to, you're not going to be making much noise.

lol, poo poo...no.
Is this what I want? http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Amplifiers-PPC108-Closed-Back-Speaker/dp/B008BJYMCO/ref=pd_bxgy_267_img_y

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

What would that even be considered... a 1/8 stack? That owns, btw.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

That's the one! Although if you want to go craaaaaaazy, the Micro Terror can actually drive anything up to a full 4x12 halfstack pretty well! Almost certainly way too loud for home use, tho.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Schpyder posted:

That's the one! Although if you want to go craaaaaaazy, the Micro Terror can actually drive anything up to a full 4x12 halfstack pretty well! Almost certainly way too loud for home use, tho.

Haha ok thanks, I got it rushed so hopefully can report back this weekend!

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I've seen a local grindcore band running dual micro terrors into two 412 cabs using an AB/Y box with a Metal Zone pedal in front. Those things are loud as a retarded fucker humping his cab with the guitar smacking into the speakers. That's not a metaphor, that's literally what the guitarist did while playing through them in order to generate crazy feedback that made people throw poo poo at him and scream in pain. Seriously who brings two 412 cabs to a small dive bar?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kekekela posted:

Haha ok thanks, I got it rushed so hopefully can report back this weekend!

PPC112 would probably be a better offering if you can find one used.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Verizian posted:

Seriously who brings two 412 cabs to a small dive bar?

Cool dudes? I don't know, maybe not. I saw Conan recently in a small club and stood right in front of the guitarists four Orange 4x12s and now my tinnitus is worse than ever.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Sockington posted:

PPC112 would probably be a better offering if you can find one used.

PPC112s are expeeeeeeensive. Even used. Cheapest on Reverb right now is $275.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was just telling a friend I thought I got a good deal on an Ibanez and he tells me he just bought a Taylor T5 semi hollow from a crackhead for $40. Turns out it's normally $2-3000 or so.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Well i mean if the crackhead took all the crack out of it first its not really worth that much is it

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Schpyder posted:

PPC112s are expeeeeeeensive. Even used. Cheapest on Reverb right now is $275.

poo poo, my friend cut me a deal for $200 CDN in mint shape (like $160 USD). :blush:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Sockington posted:

poo poo, my friend cut me a deal for $200 CDN in mint shape (like $160 USD). :blush:

Yeah, that was a ridiculously good deal. Street on them new is like 380USD, and it's rare you see more than 100USD knocked off that even on the used market.

I'd love to get a PPC212 so I can start experimenting with heads, but my god, it costs more than most of the ones I'm looking at :cry:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Snowy posted:

I was just telling a friend I thought I got a good deal on an Ibanez and he tells me he just bought a Taylor T5 semi hollow from a crackhead for $40. Turns out it's normally $2-3000 or so.

Whaaaaaaaat

I'm jealous of your friend's crack connections

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Snowy posted:

I was just telling a friend I thought I got a good deal on an Ibanez and he tells me he just bought a Taylor T5 semi hollow from a crackhead for $40. Turns out it's normally $2-3000 or so stolen.

FTFY

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I wouldn't necessarily assume it was stolen. No one gave a drat about those guitars. Maybe he was a dealer and just trying to burn some stock.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I wouldn't necessarily assume it was stolen. No one gave a drat about those guitars. Maybe he was a dealer and just trying to burn some stock.

Yeah truthfully I bet very few of those guitars were sold anywhere near full price. Every Taylor electric I've ever played is incredibly "meh".

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I was looking at those recently on Sweetwater and there have been quite a few sold. I've seen them move around locally too. They're definitely selling. I definitely wouldn't buy one full price by any means but they're pretty appealing.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So my hollowbody has a bridge which is essentially a block of mahogany just held to the body by the tension of the strings. Underneath said block is a piece of foam I have to remove; apart from 'very carefully' is there any way I should be doing this to ensure I don't place it horrifically out of intonation? Secondly, the tailpiece is hinged and the strings push through from underneath (i.e. I have to swing it out away from the guitar completely to change strings). I imagine once I remove the foam strip from under the bridge piece I will tape it down using masking tape/etc. and then remove all strings, swing the tailpiece out and the and replace them all simultaneously?

Here's what it looks like:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Southern Heel posted:

So my hollowbody has a bridge which is essentially a block of mahogany just held to the body by the tension of the strings. Underneath said block is a piece of foam I have to remove; apart from 'very carefully' is there any way I should be doing this to ensure I don't place it horrifically out of intonation? Secondly, the tailpiece is hinged and the strings push through from underneath (i.e. I have to swing it out away from the guitar completely to change strings). I imagine once I remove the foam strip from under the bridge piece I will tape it down using masking tape/etc. and then remove all strings, swing the tailpiece out and the and replace them all simultaneously?

Assuming the bridge is still where you want it (and it didn't get moved around when you broke a string or whatever the gently caress) then I'd mark the position by using four pieces of masking/painter's tape to outline the current position of the bridge. Then remove the strings. String as usual---one string at a time, getting each one just tight enough to stay on the post before stringing up the next one. I usually stick a shop rag under the tailpiece while I'm doing all this just in case I gently caress up and bang the tailpiece down onto the body. When the strings are all on, then tighten each one just enough that it'll stay in place on the bridge and nut. At this point make sure the bridge is in place in the outline. Then finish tuning.

At which point you'll be convinced that the intonation is just slightly off, then you get your screwdrivers and spend half an hour dicking around with the intonation anyway.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

I imagine once I remove the foam strip from under the bridge piece I will tape it down using masking tape/etc.
What Hollis said, and just to be explicit, you don't need (or want) to do this. The bridge will be held in place by the strings. To change the strings without swinging the tailpiece out, just put them under the tailpiece and then pull them up into their channels.

(I sometimes change my strings two or three at a time, depending on the tailpiece, so that I can clean my fretboard and headstock a little more easily. I suspect this isn't a huge deal, but I could be wrong.)

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Southern Heel posted:

1> Remove the foam, you shouldn't play with the foam under the bridge

2> You can get some double sided tape if you want

3> Just check it for intonation when you change strings Though if it is a hollowbody with the joint at the 14th fret you probably won't have serious intonation issues. At least not noticeable ones.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah so I did that - the tension released in a very manageable way so I was able to keep the bridge in the correct position while I slipped the foam out. Sopmewhat unsurprisingly I'm getting alot more top end now which is nice.

EDIT: First jam session with a sax player - man, it was hard to communicate: he is Polish so B is 'H' and Bb is still Bb, however on his sax he must transpose a full step up - so my Bb is his C. It was SUPER FUN though!

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 2, 2015

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I saw a bunch of tonedads in a Velvet Underground cover band last night and one of the dudes had a weird little vintage looking amp and a super minimal effects chain, and he was putting out some really unique sounds. Sorry for the crappy photo it was the best I could find on their Facebook. Anyone identify?

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 3, 2015

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Yeah truthfully I bet very few of those guitars were sold anywhere near full price. Every Taylor electric I've ever played is incredibly "meh".

Yeah, not $40 "meh" though. It's stolen.

(And, actually I kind of like the T5. Doesn't do any on thing particularly well but it'd be a really versatile guitar to have on hand for recording.)

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

fullroundaction posted:

I saw a bunch of tonedads in a Velvet Underground cover band last night and one of the dudes had a weird little vintage looking amp and a super minimal effects chain, and he was putting out some really unique sounds. Sorry for the crappy photo it was the best I could find on their Facebook. Anyone identify?

Fender Excelsior
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Excelsior

They were out a few years ago and then got blown out at incredibly cheap prices.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Aha a dad in a VU cover band with a J Mascis Jazzmaster. My doppelgänger apparently, one that could fill out a band.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Schpyder posted:

Yeah, that was a ridiculously good deal. Street on them new is like 380USD, and it's rare you see more than 100USD knocked off that even on the used market.

I'd love to get a PPC212 so I can start experimenting with heads, but my god, it costs more than most of the ones I'm looking at :cry:

You can do so much better for what you'd pay for a PPC

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I want to record some stuff. How do you guys usually go about this? I've been looking at some interfaces and the newly released RME Babyface Pro seems to be a good choice.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Check out the audio interface thread though that babyface seems drat expensive compared to some of the recommendation I've seen. Like the Behringer UMC404 if you want four mic preamps or SteinbergUR22 if you only need two with more reliable drivers. They're both available for less than £100.

Do you plan to mic up your amp with traditional mono/stereo microphone placement or use a Hi-Z DI input and software amp modelling? What are the computer specs and DAW you plan to use? If it's just practice/writing you can get great results with dirt cheap USB gear, even a Rocksmith cable or Blue Yeti podcast mic plugged into a modern smartphone can be used for 16bit 48Khz recordings on the go. iPhone have more options but USB Audio Recorder Pro works fine on Android 5.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

You can do so much better for what you'd pay for a PPC

I only bought it as a quiet home use cabinet for my heads. The price at the time was cheaper than most other options too.

I went with a Mesa slant 4x12 for $380USD from another friend for band use. Vintage 30s all over :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Verizian posted:

Check out the audio interface thread though that babyface seems drat expensive compared to some of the recommendation I've seen. Like the Behringer UMC404 if you want four mic preamps or SteinbergUR22 if you only need two with more reliable drivers. They're both available for less than £100.

Do you plan to mic up your amp with traditional mono/stereo microphone placement or use a Hi-Z DI input and software amp modelling? What are the computer specs and DAW you plan to use? If it's just practice/writing you can get great results with dirt cheap USB gear, even a Rocksmith cable or Blue Yeti podcast mic plugged into a modern smartphone can be used for 16bit 48Khz recordings on the go. iPhone have more options but USB Audio Recorder Pro works fine on Android 5.

Thanks! I'm on a MacBook Pro and I've been using the Rocksmith cable plus Amplitube to make multitrack recordings, but the quality isn't great (some cracking and hissing I guess due to the lovely quality of the onboard soundchip). I might be interested in getting a mic as well sooner or later, but for the moment it's going to be guitar to computer basically. Looking at the interface thread, the new Babyface does seem very expensive... Gotta read up on this stuff.