Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

DD might be cool, but DD clearly gives no fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Jesus christ why are Jane and Jake being so loving stubborn and retarded? Listen to the god drat shades the shades know what's up arrrgrhrghwr

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

it's the Adventure Gene

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The shades might have the attitude of a brat with some sort of cagey plan, but they've done or attempted more good for the well-being of the party than any of the kids thus far. Frankly I'm getting kind of attached to the autoresponder. I trust it more than Dirk, at any rate. I guess it's made a different impression on me, somehow, than the people earlier in the thread who had a bad feeling about it.

I mean, as examples:
Dirk: started a rebellion on Derse that puts both him and Roxy in danger
Roxy: exploded Jane's computer in her face
Jake: missed crucial exposition by jumping into fisticuffs with an innocent troll
Jane: ran Roxy's ~ATH script after being warned not to

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Lord of Laughton posted:

There's no way Dream Roxy doesn't end up here as well.

I thought about it a bit more and I'm kind of surprised at Droog's move here. It seems pretty extreme to destroy a whole planet to kill one kid. Sure he's midnight crew, but he's smoother than this. At least he does it coolly.

To be fair, whenever Jack used the Red Miles, we were shown pretty explicitly all the carapaces he was incinerating. With Droog, so far all we've seen is buildings getting mashed up. We don't know how fine of a control the user has on The Miles, but there's a chance maybe he's using a relatively "light" touch with it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Feranon posted:

Jesus christ why are Jane and Jake being so loving stubborn and retarded? Listen to the god drat shades the shades know what's up arrrgrhrghwr

I've long been of the opinion that their timeline is the one where everyone fucks everything up in the most spectacular fashion. It's the Sod's Law of sessions, beyond just being null and into a kind of self-perpetuating perma-fuckup, where the only reason everyone survives is so that they can gently caress up bigger later.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Midnight Raider posted:

To be fair, whenever Jack used the Red Miles, we were shown pretty explicitly all the carapaces he was incinerating. With Droog, so far all we've seen is buildings getting mashed up. We don't know how fine of a control the user has on The Miles, but there's a chance maybe he's using a relatively "light" touch with it.

In the recap after Act 4, it sounded like Jack intentionally spared WV?, so perhaps there's enough fine control over Red Miles to wipe out an army except for one person.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

creationist believer posted:

In the recap after Act 4, it sounded like Jack intentionally spared WV?, so perhaps there's enough fine control over Red Miles to wipe out an army except for one person.

He was also killing carapaces with his sword.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Besides right now Droog ain't even looking.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Points to ahpoordogsbody for noticing: AR put the red spirograph icon over an eye on both computers.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Bobulus posted:

Points to ahpoordogsbody for noticing: AR put the red spirograph icon over an eye on both computers.

Haha, that's funny. I didn't notice that. Heh.

... :ohdear:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tumblr also reminded me that this Pixar short of UU's and uu's game exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS2fRUP8zJ8

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Just not the same without the original audio :( That's a pretty apt comparison though. The HAL thing is kind of troubling too, hah. Let's just hope the AR never has a conversation with Dave.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
That bunny animation is magical. :allears:

Gosh!

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Just not the same without the original audio :( That's a pretty apt comparison though. The HAL thing is kind of troubling too, hah. Let's just hope the AR never has a conversation with Dave.

I am of the opposite opinion. I firmly believe that Dave and Davesprite will ruin the Auto Responder's poo poo constantly and repeatedly.

You know early on, when the B2 Kids couldn't tell the difference between Dirk and the Auto Responder? Dave would see through his terrible imposter act, and have him singing Daisy after half a conversation. This is what I believe, and cannot wait for the B1's to finally get back into the game.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Ha ha, I guess from the dialog that Dirk spotted Jake first.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
So this was not part of Dirk's confession plan, Jane and Jake are just incapable of listening to the glasses (though to be fair he's being obtuse as gently caress, I wouldn't listen to his non-warnings either).

Also Jake's expression :allears: What a perfect, precious moron.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Idunn posted:

So this was not part of Dirk's confession plan, Jane and Jake are just incapable of listening to the glasses (though to be fair he's being obtuse as gently caress, I wouldn't listen to his non-warnings either).

"Dirk and Roxy need to get into the game or they're going to die because of that horribly dangerous red poo poo, so stay where you are and concentrate on making sure they make it in instead of investigating random teleporters" isn't really obtuse or a non-warning and he said all of that almost verbatim.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

fatherdog posted:

"Dirk and Roxy need to get into the game or they're going to die because of that horribly dangerous red poo poo, so stay where you are and concentrate on making sure they make it in instead of investigating random teleporters" isn't really obtuse or a non-warning and he said all of that almost verbatim.
It just ain't Homestuck if the Prospit kids ain't acting like total dinguses.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?

fatherdog posted:

To Jane he just said that going into the transportaliser was a bad idea while she wanted to look for her dad (and even brought her computer for when Roxy showed up, since she wasn't there). With Jake he was a bit more explicit, yeah, and Jake has a worse excuse, I will give you that.

I'm sure they'd be helping more if Dirk and Roxy were there and not distracted, but there isn't much the server players can do on their own right now. I guess they could be building up their houses but that's not nearly as exciting as stepping on random teleporters to see where they lead.

Seoinin posted:

Also this.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

fatherdog posted:

And both of them replied, "Relax, I've got my computer and can totally help them when they're ready."

Jake and Jane were both waiting on Dirk and Roxy to use the poo poo they plopped down. It was either twiddle their thumbs waiting for them, or investigate the mysterious teleporters while they kept and eye on things.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, with the information they were provided neither Jane nor Jake had much reason to think that going onto the teleporter was actually that bad, outside of it obviously being a terrible idea to step on a teleportation pad you you know nothing about (is it two-way? Are there enemies on the other side? Will it just teleport you somewhere which will kill you?).

AR should've known that just saying "you need to stay there and help Dirk/Roxy" wasn't going to be enough when they had mobile computing devices and nothing to do until Dirk and Roxy actually jumped into action. Maybe if he'd dropped the mystery act and explained what the teleporters would lead to and how desperate the situation actually is, they might've listened. Just need to watch out for accidentally inspiring Jake to attempt a "heroic rescue".

Or hell, just lie to them. "No don't step on that teleporter pad! It'll bring you out into a solid block of granite!"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
"You ever seen The Fly, Jake? Yeah."

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Gosh!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

To be fair on Jane and Jake, neither had precedent that the situation beyond the teleporters might be dangerous in the first place. Jane especially, who had a chance to explore her planet and it was all a quiet, dead land with nothing but puzzles waiting to be solved.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
I sort of feel like AR was giving a sarcastic and insincere warning, too. I dunno -- that's just how I mentally parsed it.

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009

Saradiart posted:

I sort of feel like AR was giving a sarcastic and insincere warning, too. I dunno -- that's just how I mentally parsed it.

That's how I felt too. I think having Jane and Jake enter the transportalizers was secretly part of AR's plan all along. Lil' Seb led the way for Jane, so there may be some collusion going on there. And he had to know there was a White Rabbit (of sorts) waiting for Jake when he made that comment. He only put up a mild resistance when they decided to transportalize for plausible deniability.

Even if he didn't plan it, he'll probably tell Dirk he did, saying "Here's your chance bro, make your move."

E: VVVVV Oh, I agree, I don't think his plans are sinister. I also agree he's likely overestimating his own abilities as Puppetmaster. Crazy computational abilities aside, he's still basically a young Dirk.

Scale Model Giant fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 12, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I honestly don't think AR has any sinister plans. He talks a big game with how smart he is and how fast he can think, but he's also a very "young" character, compared with any of the original four kids or even the new four kids. Look at him trying to distract Dad by dangling a Fred Astaire statue in midair. That's totally the sort of thing a little kid would think of.

He's said he has plans, and that they may conflict with Dirk's plans, but I assume that they're:
a) Probably still for the good of the group, just in a different way than Dirk.
b) Probably a bit inept.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Blood Nightmaster posted:

The HAL thing is kind of troubling too, hah. Let's just hope the AR never has a conversation with Dave.

Oh God dammit

Seoinin posted:

Jane at least had an excuse, she was looking for her dad. And come on, if you had the same dad as her, you'd look for him too. Jake is just a putz, bless his simple soul - a lovable putz, but a putz nonetheless.

Also, AR's "I hold no accountability for this fiasco" and "I am blameless in this debacle" seem mildly sarcastic to me too. Like someone said, plausible deniability. But like the rest of you, I don't think his plans are sinister, just, potentially, very dumb.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Happy 6/12 :unsmith:. A holy day only overshadowed by 4/13.

I bet the new album will be volume 9 rather than a themed album.

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009
Oh, also, AR tells Jake that he'll see real Dirk soon, "In a way." (read: Dream Dirk) He totally knows what's going on.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Speculation: hopping back on the teleporter pad doesn't take you back to Earth, because the Frog Temple exists twice at this point in "time". Instead, you go to the one in the furthest ring. And that's why Jake has to lotus himself back to Earth.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Scale Model Giant posted:

Oh, also, AR tells Jake that he'll see real Dirk soon, "In a way." (read: Dream Dirk) He totally knows what's going on.

I think you're on the money about AR's motivations too. He's fed up with meat-Dirk's love triangle bullshit so he's going to "helpfully" force the issue.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Volume 9 is up now!

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Volume 9 is out guys!

Now before you ooh and aah at all the other songs I want to direct your attention to a piece called "Dogfight". This was the result of a massive 6-way collaboration between myself and five other Homestuck fan musicians that Radiation decided to stick it on the album. If I may say myself it sounds fantastic.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman
I'm still on the first song, but it sounds good so far!

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
drat 51 tracks.
Up to firefly (track 4) no misses yet.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman
YES! I love anbroids!

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

All my hopes and dreams were on Anbroids for Volume 9

I was rewarded greatly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Well Manicured Man posted:

Volume 9 is out guys!

Now before you ooh and aah at all the other songs I want to direct your attention to a piece called "Dogfight". This was the result of a massive 6-way collaboration between myself and five other Homestuck fan musicians that Radiation decided to stick it on the album. If I may say myself it sounds fantastic.

Because of you.

Purchasing NOW.