Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Boy, remember when Marvel Netflix was just Daredevil and Jessica Jones' first seasons and it looked like they couldn't do any wrong?

The Hand's greatest victory was destroying several seasons of TV. And as has been said, being ninjas who are boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

But they did do wrong. It's called the back half of JJS1!!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The best two episodes of the season are both in the back half sooooo

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

LividLiquid posted:

Boy, remember when Marvel Netflix was just Daredevil and Jessica Jones' first seasons and it looked like they couldn't do any wrong?

The Hand's greatest victory was destroying several seasons of TV. And as has been said, being ninjas who are boring.

But the greatest scholars have assured me that it’s just like that in the comics which are inherently cool and therefore any notion that the ninjas are quote unquote bad is unjust and in this TED talk I will

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Strip the ninjas out and DDs2 was great. I'm not a huge Punisher fan one way or the other but I love him in the Netflix shows.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The ninjas weren't bad because they were ninjas they were bad because they didn't do anything and Elektra was there being horrible. One of the best fights in season 1 is against a ninja. Stop acting like wearing a pyjama and holding a sword is what made them lame. Especially since they got 200 times lamer when they were no longer ninjas because Marvel got scared by the backlash.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Punisher, Jessica Jones season 1 and Daredevil season 1 all had the same reason they were the best seasons - they had a primary antagonist that lasts from beginning to end. The Punisher had a secondary antagonist the whole way through that was well established and was dealt with before they got all the way to the end so it didn't feel out of nowhere nor did it feel to being usurping the main narrative.

The other shows always have haha you thought this was the bad guy but in fact its now THIS (or in Daredevil season 2's case, its now THREE new people) and your investment is all over the place. Plus it drags it out by being "well the problems resolved so we need more episodes so lets add this new person in.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The Hand would have been fine, if they'd just gone all in on ninjas and not chicken out on it. Yes the ending of DDS2 should have had Punisher with a minigun mowing down a fuckton of ninjas to even the odds. Yes ninjas in Iron Fist should have been terrifying and mysterious instead of just... a community college for dysfunctional kids. Yes the ninjas in Defenders should have been ninjas intent on, I dunno, awakening a dragon to harvest its power by making their own Iron Fist rather than being some generic goons hoping to dig up some bones to maintain the status quo.

Army of undying ninjas = good. But once you pussy out on going with an actual army of motherfucking undying ninjas then it fails. The greatest sin they committed was halfassing it. Lean in god drat it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s not just inconsistent zombie ninjas that suck, it’s also wasting Sigourney Weaver to an absolutely criminal degree and Elektra basically just being a “Sexy Lamp” macguffin with wildly inconsistent power/skill levels.

Basically whichever writer was briteforcing The Hand into everything is dragging down the entire Marvel-Netflix universe by not understanding what makes any of those pieces interesting whatsoever.

Like how hard is it to write an old lady fight between Sigourney Weaver and Madame Gao?

I also decided why I don’t like Jessica Jones: It’s just absolutely no fun. Daredevil is fun and knows how to have fun, Punisher learned to break up the melodrama with levity and happy flashbacks, Luke Cage uses music and community to add warmth and substance to the gritty gangster back drop.

Jessica Jones S1 has no room for warmth or happiness or levity because it is, at its core, a story of victimization and that’s just not FUN. I honestly have the same issues with any show about prison. OZ/OITNB were both easy skips for me because prison isn’t fun and I know too much about how it works to be able to suspend my disbelief at how the characters seem to be enjoying it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lid posted:

The Punisher, Jessica Jones season 1 and Daredevil season 1 all had the same reason they were the best seasons - they had a primary antagonist that lasts from beginning to end.

Also, good to tremendous performances.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
High praise review for Daredevil season 3:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/daredevil-season-3-is-a-great-reminder-that-its-harder-1829678259

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Here's one that is less nice
https://twitter.com/kylepinion/status/1050749420634087424

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Most of the reviews I've seen have been really positive so that seems to be an outlier at the very least

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Arist posted:

Most of the reviews I've seen have been really positive so that seems to be an outlier at the very least
To be fair it was retweeted from a friend of mine who has set out to hate the Netflix shows because he hates "Prestige" TV and how serious these shows are.

Also hates AOS because it isn't a MOTW type show

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

To be fair it was retweeted from a friend of mine who has set out to hate the Netflix shows because he hates "Prestige" TV and how serious these shows are.

Also hates AOS because it isn't a MOTW type show

Sound like your friend needs to stick to re-runs of Magnum PI and Rockford Files or maybe watch CBS procedurals. He'll get the "this is definitely *not* prestige TV" and nondescript contained episodes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This says Matt is busted up and has lost his abilities. I didn't see Defenders. Can someone give me a brief recap? I didn't know Matt had lost his senses so I guess they're going to incorporate that arc from Miller's run in there too but, if I remember right, that was only one issue and Stick trained him back up.

What do i need to know going in next Friday?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BiggerBoat posted:

This says Matt is busted up and has lost his abilities. I didn't see Defenders. Can someone give me a brief recap? I didn't know Matt had lost his senses so I guess they're going to incorporate that arc from Miller's run in there too but, if I remember right, that was only one issue and Stick trained him back up.

What do i need to know going in next Friday?

Matt stayed behind to buy time for the others to escape when they were blowing up a skyscraper filled with ninjas built over a dragon skeleton. Everyone believes he's dead, but the stinger showed that he was still alive.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Cythereal posted:

Matt stayed behind to buy time for the others to escape when they were blowing up a skyscraper filled with ninjas built over a dragon skeleton. Everyone believes he's dead, but the stinger showed that he was still alive.

Yeah, if he lost his abilities, it's news to us.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i figured that moment in s2 when after the punisher bounced a bullet off his dome and he lost control of his powers was supposed to come up again later but it never did. maybe this is that paying off finally?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Serf posted:

i figured that moment in s2 when after the punisher bounced a bullet off his dome and he lost control of his powers was supposed to come up again later but it never did. maybe this is that paying off finally?

He had a concussion that he eventually recovered from during that season.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Iron Fist cancelled. Return on the Disney streaming service is apparently a possibility, with the other four Netflix Marvel shows expected to continue apace.

if being rebooted as a film isn’t in the cards, the show could benefit a lot from no longer having to operate in the same figurative and tonal universe as the other Netflix Marvel series, at least

https://twitter.com/deadlinedominic/status/1050915732656025600?s=21

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, as I commented in the BSS TV thread, hopefully this marks the end of the “this show is a *grounded* take of...” style superhero show.

I’m not necessarily a fan of CW style shows (except Black Lightning, that rules), but they’re flashy and try to be fun.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I mean my problem with the CW shows is they often want to be super depressing for no reason. Legends is good because it just goes 'gently caress it this is goofy bullshit.' and Black Lightning is good because it does a better job with the drama.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Bring Danny and Colleen to Luke Cage.

Bring Mary to Jessica Jones.

But most of all, bring the Meachums to Punisher.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
man if they don't bring Colleen over to Luke Cage that's gonna be a bummer

nothing else of value was lost

Gorelab posted:

I mean my problem with the CW shows is they often want to be super depressing for no reason. Legends is good because it just goes 'gently caress it this is goofy bullshit.' and Black Lightning is good because it does a better job with the drama.

once Legends gets rid of the Hawkpeople and gets good in S2 it's an amazing breath of fresh air just because it remembers that comic books are fun

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The first casualty in the war.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Barry Convex posted:

Iron Fist cancelled. Return on the Disney streaming service is apparently a possibility, with the other four Netflix Marvel shows expected to continue apace.

if being rebooted as a film isn’t in the cards, the show could benefit a lot from no longer having to operate in the same figurative and tonal universe as the other Netflix Marvel series, at least

https://twitter.com/deadlinedominic/status/1050915732656025600?s=21

It doesn't really matter, they can just move the characters to Luke Cage if they want. It's really just less total episodes of "Netflix Marvel" to throw money at.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Lycus posted:

It doesn't really matter, they can just move the characters to Luke Cage if they want. It's really just less total episodes of "Netflix Marvel" to throw money at.

do this as heroes for hire and do like legends of tomorrow and go the fun route instead of grim dark.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Lycus posted:

Watch them take the lesson that "we can order 16 episodes per season now!" from this instead.

Edit: VVV I could live with that.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 13, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, I'm wondering if it's not Marvel's netflix division only being handed enough money to do four series. Punisher wasn't originally planned, and did much better than Iron Fist. So perhaps Iron Fist has been axed to keep Punisher going.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

AngryBooch posted:

Bring Mary to Jessica Jones.

But most of all, bring the Meachums to Punisher.
throw Danny into the sun

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

AngryBooch posted:

That would be perfect, Danny and Luke work well together, and the show could use some action choreography that isn't awful

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
I hope this causes a domino effect that changes the way Marvel makes these series. I can't do another 13 hours of story that could be condensed into half that.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Making reputable, quality stories is not something the MCU ever wants to do.
No money in it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea Danny was fine in Luke Cage, just do that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm cool with bringing Danny over to Luke Cage and doing Heroes for Hire but please recast Finn if you do it but the better move if you need another Defender is Moon Knight.

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, as I commented in the BSS TV thread, hopefully this marks the end of the “this show is a *grounded* take of...” style superhero show.

The Netflix shows already deal in "gritty and grounded" heroes for the most part so I don't see the approach as much of a problem.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Unsurprising, but a bit disappointing now that they finally showed off Iron [OBJECT] and not just punching

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

Unsurprising, but a bit disappointing now that they finally showed off Iron [OBJECT] and not just punching

This is literally exactly how I feel. I'm actually really bummed out. I thought S2 was worlds better.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

It's not worse than Iron Fist, but it does drag out of the gate, which is odd. Black Scarf Daredevil seemed like a good sign, but It's front-loaded with a lot of the Netflix MCU stuff I hate. Like, I do not get their obsession with cops and FBI agents when they're so, soooo bad at writing them.

Luckily it picks up in episodes 3-6, so I'm hopeful for the back half of the season. The fight that they said would top the hallway fight doesn't (it's fine but it's below season 1's hallway fight, season 2's hallway/stairwell fight and season 2's Punisher prison fight), but there's a really tense and entertaining fight in episode 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Cythereal posted:

Personally, I'm wondering if it's not Marvel's netflix division only being handed enough money to do four series. Punisher wasn't originally planned, and did much better than Iron Fist. So perhaps Iron Fist has been axed to keep Punisher going.

Netflix is paying for these shows, not Marvel.

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm cool with bringing Danny over to Luke Cage and doing Heroes for Hire but please recast Finn if you do it but the better move if you need another Defender is Moon Knight.

The Netflix shows already deal in "gritty and grounded" heroes for the most part so I don't see the approach as much of a problem.

Iron Fist is just fundamentally not “grounded” in the same sense as the other Netflix Marvel properties, even if the character has tended to be portrayed as a street-level hero in the comics. That Marvel insisted on a more grounded approach is probably why they couldn’t find a showrunner more competent than Scott Buck in the first place.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 13, 2018