Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
For those of us still under the cutoff who are using T5-6, how do our ships stand up? Aoba driver asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

The Colorado is inferior to the Nagato. Its only advantages are heftier shells that pen better, but the accuracy is horrendous. You're also slow as poo poo, and that's not good for Ranked.

I thought there was a buff to Colorado accuracy in the last patch or two?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Vorkosigan posted:

I thought there was a buff to Colorado accuracy in the last patch or two?

IIRC they did but not by much so it's still got the wort accuracy of anything at t7.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cobbsprite posted:

For those of us still under the cutoff who are using T5-6, how do our ships stand up? Aoba driver asking.

I did well in the Konigsberg, and the Ognevoi is really good when the queue is destroyer heavy, but my Budyonny is flubbing badly, Fusos keep turning it into citadel city and it seems to be the primary target every time.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

Its AA is pointless in Ranked, as CVs are extremely rare.

Strange, I would have expected ranked to be full of nasty Saipans.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

I still think the Aoba is the best ship for ranked

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Krogort posted:

Strange, I would have expected ranked to be full of nasty Saipans.

Ranked is all about sticking together like a real detachment, overlapping AA on even the bad AA ships at tier 7 is pretty deadly to planes

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Ranked is all about sticking together like a real detachment, overlapping AA on even the bad AA ships at tier 7 is pretty deadly to planes

And it still goes back to the fact that carrier play is very unfun. Even in carrier versus carrier engagements.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
So far 3-2 with the Nagato, should have won all of them. Playing a battleship in ranked it is still hard to carry, because you can't get in between caps fast enough or relocate yourself on the map.

There have been carriers in all but 2 of the games so far, seems to be pretty boring for them, but they have killed me in both of the 2 games.

If you play the Colorado well, you will do ok. I've poo poo on the enemy Colorado so far, but the results haven't given me a guaranteed victory. I think you will be most effective in a cruiser this season. You should be able to eat the battleship if you know how to play one.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Just had another fantastic loss of synch death in my Nagato, where I was set on fire by dive bombers, then waited for the 2 torps I couldn't dodge to hit. Flooding and on fire I hit the damage control party, and it went into cool down without actually stopping the flooding or putting out the fires. loving awesome.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

4-8.

Above average stats in every category except for win/loss. I wish they'd make ranked even harder, and open it up to less people. The players on my team are really really bad. Thankfully I'm not losing stars for all these games by coming in first, but mostly coming in second because I'm not a DD. Trying DD.

With situational awareness completely broken, don't bother playing a DD.

Ranked is how I remember it.

jownzy fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 3, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Nightmare of a time crawling from 18 to 15, since I didn't really have a ship for those tiers prepared, but eventually just pulled out my Kamikaze and managed a good string of wins. Now that I'm in the ship I was actually expecting to play, my Nagato, it has been reasonably smooth sailing. 3/3 so far, so just hit 14.

Probably going to take a break for a bit now.

Didn't have a lower ship prepared because I was expecting to start at 14, so that was an unpleasant surprise.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Seems like every Independence driver in ranked is a loving retard. If you see one on your team facing a Ryujo, gird yourself for the inevitable loss.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Seems like it. Also got top XP that game and didn't lose a star. THE SYSTEM WORKS!

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

From my experience with the kiev, either works, but I'd still probably go with aft for the range. You'll still be spotted and unable to invisi-fire, but the penalty and your gun range will be about the same so you can easily just drive away a bit to get out of spotting range.

i've got a 16 point Russian captain and when the DDs go on sale next week I may bite the bullet and buy the Tashkent. Im thinking:

Situational Awareness / Basic Firing Training
Last Stand
Vigilance
AFT/DE

CE is always nice and all but I dont think the stealth windows are big enough, and DE adds a huge increase in fire chance proportionally for smaller guns.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

i've got a 16 point Russian captain and when the DDs go on sale next week I may bite the bullet and buy the Tashkent. Im thinking:

Situational Awareness / Basic Firing Training
Last Stand
Vigilance
AFT/DE

CE is always nice and all but I dont think the stealth windows are big enough, and DE adds a huge increase in fire chance proportionally for smaller guns.

Since I saw flamu show off his lo yang play, I've come around to not caring about tryign to invisi fire. In fact, I just had a game where I played similar to flamu did driving my sims. Basically, smoke up and just gun them down. All the invisi firing you need. And in the case of my sims game, you get a north carolina to make a direct steam towards you ignoring everything else. He did finally get close enough to spot me, but my torps had just reloaded and he turned full broadside to them and died.

Anyway, I would still say CE is useful just ot get the jump on the enemy. Especially with the jp dds around. You still won't be as sneaky as them, but shaving some off will help in the informational warfare game that the DDs exist in. In that same sense, vigilance hasn't been all that useful to me compared to superintendent. An extra can of smoke and nox is pretty drat useful played as I mentioned.

Edit: Lo Yang video I was talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM4wwZZdfUU

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 4, 2016

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I couldn't help but notice, yeah if you come in first, you don't lose a star... but now once you hit rank 5, you need 6 stars per rank. That's double what it used to be.
You need 5 stars from 10-5. Seems like you'll need a lot more wins this season.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

jownzy posted:

I couldn't help but notice, yeah if you come in first, you don't lose a star... but now once you hit rank 5, you need 6 stars per rank. That's double what it used to be.
You need 5 stars from 10-5. Seems like you'll need a lot more wins this season.

You also don't get a star when you rank up at some point. That's going to make getting to rank one a lot harder.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Since I saw flamu show off his lo yang play, I've come around to not caring about tryign to invisi fire. In fact, I just had a game where I played similar to flamu did driving my sims. Basically, smoke up and just gun them down. All the invisi firing you need. And in the case of my sims game, you get a north carolina to make a direct steam towards you ignoring everything else. He did finally get close enough to spot me, but my torps had just reloaded and he turned full broadside to them and died.

Anyway, I would still say CE is useful just ot get the jump on the enemy. Especially with the jp dds around. You still won't be as sneaky as them, but shaving some off will help in the informational warfare game that the DDs exist in. In that same sense, vigilance hasn't been all that useful to me compared to superintendent. An extra can of smoke and nox is pretty drat useful played as I mentioned.

Edit: Lo Yang video I was talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM4wwZZdfUU

Ridiculous video thanks for linking it. I dont think I would have had the nerve to go after a tier 10 and 9 DD at the same time in *anything* without serious backup.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Is it worthwhile to grind ranked battles, or should I just save my sanity?

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

jownzy posted:

So far 3-2 with the Nagato, should have won all of them. Playing a battleship in ranked it is still hard to carry, because you can't get in between caps fast enough or relocate yourself on the map.

There have been carriers in all but 2 of the games so far, seems to be pretty boring for them, but they have killed me in both of the 2 games.

If you play the Colorado well, you will do ok. I've poo poo on the enemy Colorado so far, but the results haven't given me a guaranteed victory. I think you will be most effective in a cruiser this season. You should be able to eat the battleship if you know how to play one.

I actually liked the Colorado WAY more than the Nagato and my win-rate for the Co is considerably better to boot. I found the Nagato much more finicky, the shots actually seemed LESS accurate than the Co, and the armor on the Nagato was absolute poo poo. I could take hits in the Co that would have gotten me absolutely wrecked in the Nagato. I'm also a pretty aggressive BB player, I tend to move in much closer than most and go for heavy brawls instead of sniping.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Is it worthwhile to grind ranked battles, or should I just save my sanity?

Do you hate yourself? Do you want a fuckton of flags and other goodies but hate your own free time? Are you willing to do this not once, but twice for the Flint?

Now consider how long it'll take to get Rank 1, and multiply that by 2. Are you good at this game? If not, multiply that again by 2. Are you at least decent? If not, multiply it by 2 again.

Ranked is a grind. There's nice stuff to be had, but otherwise you're going to hate yourself.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ranked will make you hate people in general.

"No, you loving retard, we didn't lose because we 'pushed.' We lost because ONE ship pushed while the other four hid in the loving cap while we were already behind on points. Let's not forget that the other BB retardedly rammed a large island."

edit: Especially annoyed at the moment because I was one win away from the rank 12 lock, then got a string of poo poo teams. Back at one star before 13 again.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 4, 2016

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
I see...

Will need to stock up on alcohol before I can safely begin.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I've done it twice. The perks are nice. If you have a ship to grind at the tier, it's nice.

I use all the perks to grind stuff out fast after it's over. The 200 rank 3 camo's helped me fly through ships I'd rather not play and maximize the hell out of 3x and 2x weekends.

It's incredibly frustrating and I'll be bitching constantly for the next couple weeks at least. It's satisfying at the end though. I'm only one of like 200 that can get the Flint this season. :smug:

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Also if you do it multiple times you get a free premium ship which is cool.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Isn't the flint just an Atlanta?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Gorau posted:

Isn't the flint just an Atlanta?

With less guns.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

JuffoWup posted:

With less guns.

Specifically, two fewer 5" turrets (the side ones) and 40mm bofors instead of the 1.1" guns.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
So I just logged in for the first time since ranked began, is there a reason I automatically started off at Rank 17? I won a single game and went to Rank 16 and got all the 21-16 rewards.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

The Rev posted:

So I just logged in for the first time since ranked began, is there a reason I automatically started off at Rank 17? I won a single game and went to Rank 16 and got all the 21-16 rewards.

It gives you bonus ranks based on your highest (or maybe final) rank in the prior season I think.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

El Disco posted:

Specifically, two fewer 5" turrets (the side ones)

Wing turrets :mil101:

Also the 40mm bofors does triple the damage of the 1.1" guns, so it has better AA

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
I'm coming to truly love the Warspite for T5-6 ranked. Its absolutely perfect for this style of game play. You never get up-tiered, you never really get swarmed and you have lots of opportunity to use your larger guns to really pound on other ships. As a bonus, because there are so few ships running around, Fuso's like to come in close. It makes life so much easier.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Nice little Saturday afternoon watch.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Wing turrets :mil101:

Uhhhh excuse me but we're talking about ships, not planes. I mean, heh, what kind of a plane would have turrets in the wings? :smug:

Gorau posted:

I'm coming to truly love the Warspite for T5-6 ranked. Its absolutely perfect for this style of game play. You never get up-tiered, you never really get swarmed and you have lots of opportunity to use your larger guns to really pound on other ships. As a bonus, because there are so few ships running around, Fuso's like to come in close. It makes life so much easier.

I tried to use mine Friday but there were 5,000 other battleships in queue, so I tried the Cleveland/Gremy and got into matches almost instantly.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
what the gently caress are people on, the Izumo's fine
and I'm B hull and not even retrained yet

I mean its no Amagi this thing turns like a pig, but it feels like a vastly more accurate NC with fuckoff secondaries and a better engine

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Hazdoc posted:

I mean its no Amagi this thing turns like a pig, but it feels like a vastly more accurate NC with fuckoff secondaries and a better engine

Izumo got buffed recently. Congrats on playing it afterwards.

Also, might have to rebuy a carrier. The imbalance when your team has a lovely on in ranked basically means a flawless victory for the other team.

Back to not being able to win a game. 1-5

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Hazdoc posted:

I find it has entirely to do with the game you end up in. If people play half way intelligently you're kinda hosed because you're the single largest target out there, easiest to see and so very easy to set fire too. On the other hand, use your bow and try and gently caress with iowa's. I just find the ship very hit and miss.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Gorau posted:

If people play half way intelligently

But let's be honest here, how often does that really happen?

Just got called a camper because I turned around after running into their entire team and managed to sink two of them and stay alive.

This game. This loving game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_ihqYeV1G0
Today I learned how to zoom in on a part of a video in Sony Vegas. I really should learn how to edit videos better.
2nd game in the Izumo. I free xp'd to B hull because gently caress A hulls on IJN BBs, even if it did get adjusted shells. I was hunting for this Zao, because in the game prior he lit me on fire constantly and pissed me off. Also, he was killing my team and capping a point. That had to end.