Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

marktheando posted:

I just remembered this article about Umunna from back in the before times.

that’s hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bryter posted:

Oh 100%. The current generation of Blairites and moderates is for the most part inept at actual politicking. But they represent a faction of the party which in the recent (but fading) past earned a reputation for political cunning, so they have a very hard time accepting that. So you get things like this

"unwarranted hubris" is probably the sole consistent thing about centrists and especially blairites

it's why their big plan to bring down corbyn was "demand he resign" which fell apart when he responded with "nah"

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

fridge corn posted:

yes politicians abandoning their ideals for the sake of advancing their careers is certainly a good thing we should definitely want more of

I don't like this rereg

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

yes politicians abandoning their ideals for the sake of advancing their careers is certainly a good thing we should definitely want more of

drat that's a loving wild take

Imagine being this pathological of a dipshit contrarian

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Lobster God posted:

That was Sark, wasn't it?

Indeed, specifically Sark, which is a subdivision of Guernsey

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

I don't like this rereg

???

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

twoday posted:

Indeed, specifically Sark, which is a subdivision of Guernsey

Hi, sark was feudal, guernsey has the septimes. I have been voting for my parish rep since I turned 18.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Please tell me more about these septimes

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Their founder Tiber Septim, later Talos, learned CHIM from the God-King Vivec, one third of the Dunmer Tribunal.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Y'all ready for this?

https://twitter.com/KateAronoff/status/1027223376396529666

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at ash sarkar having higher billing than a bunch of mp's when most people hadn't heard of her before she called piers morgan an idiot live on tv

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

surprised they didn't get skinner on board

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

lol at ash sarkar having higher billing than a bunch of mp's when most people hadn't heard of her before she called piers morgan an idiot live on tv

Good deeds should be rewarded. :shrug:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the only explanation for piers having a career at this stage is that he has dirt from phone hacking on every media exec

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

Jel Shaker posted:

the only explanation for piers having a career at this stage is that he has dirt from phone hacking on every media exec

It's his accent tbqh

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Jose posted:

well i mean she helps organise it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/WestKentTAB/status/1027264675745071106

if i have to read this take then so do all of you

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Don't pay attention to Dan Hodges other than to post his takes to laugh at. He has decided to be a spokesman for Jews despite not being one. As you can tell from his twitter name

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jose posted:

judging from that credential alone she deserve pretty high billing imo

calling noted idiot Piers Morgan an idiot is a good first impression

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Byolante posted:

Hi, sark was feudal, guernsey has the septimes. I have been voting for my parish rep since I turned 18.

Huh, thought I was the only active Guern on the forums.

Guernsey is autonomous to a certain degree. We get most of our goods from the UK though, which has always seemed a little ridiculous to me, considering France is so much closer. If you buy Normandy cheese in the shop, doubtless it has come via Portsmouth, and we pay a premium for pretty much everything. I'm very worried that with the pressure on the UK in a hard border scenario we're going to be either de-prioritised or simply priced out of goods from the UK. There have been talks with Normandy and Brittany about this, so hopefully we can come to some arrangement if we enter a food crisis. Cost of living is already high enough as it is.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Guernsey went nazi in WW2, right?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

Guernsey went nazi in WW2, right?

Uh, no. Britain abandoned the islands to their fate and the Germans occupied them for 5 years.

Edit: Fun fact, they also neglected to tell the Germans that the islands had been demilitarised, so the Luftwaffe dive bombed and killed civilians on the way in.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ReelBigLizard posted:

Uh, no. Britain abandoned the islands to their fate and the Germans occupied them for 5 years.

Edit: Fun fact, they also neglected to tell the Germans that the islands had been demilitarised, so the Luftwaffe dive bombed and killed civilians on the way in.

aren't those contradictory? How can you be mad at Britain for not fighting to save you from instantly capitulating to the nazis, but also mad at them for not telling the nazis "hey you guys can just walk right in and take over, they'll be cool with it"?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Holy poo poo Mélenchon, that owns

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Any Brexit preppers ITT?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope Corbyn plays the closing set

oliwan has issued a correction as of 13:18 on Aug 9, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guy Goodbody posted:

aren't those contradictory? How can you be mad at Britain for not fighting to save you from instantly capitulating to the nazis, but also mad at them for not telling the nazis "hey you guys can just walk right in and take over, they'll be cool with it"?

Probably because of the abovementioned bombing that killed civilians.

twoday
May 4, 2005

I like the general world view and paranoid ranting style of this twitter account:

https://twitter.com/nickreeves9876/status/1012461825919799307?s=20

https://twitter.com/nickreeves9876/status/1026087455399845888?s=20

https://twitter.com/nickreeves9876/status/1024202039918776321?s=20

However,:

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1027311184788242438?s=20

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

I haven't heard of any of these bands

twoday
May 4, 2005

Decided to google “Acid Corbynism” and it rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V06kancZKAg

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's common practice to inform an adversary that you have demilitarised an area with a civilian population to prevent exactly that eventuality. The decision to pull out of the islands was actually the right one, no-one is mad about this really. Fighting over the islands would have been a fools errand and undoubtedly would have lead to many civilians dead or wounded. Many people evacuated to the UK, rather than live with German occupation, many stayed because they did not want to abandon their homeland. They lived through five years of hardship, many islanders were jailed or sent to concentration camps for acts of resistance, sometimes as little as being found with a contraband radio. The last year was particularly harsh after the Normandy invasion in '44. This cut off supply lines and left locals and enemy forces starving until 11 months later when the islands were liberated.

If you want to piss off people from the islands, glib remarks about them "going nazi" will do it chap.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ReelBigLizard posted:

It's common practice to inform an adversary that you have demilitarised an area with a civilian population to prevent exactly that eventuality. The decision to pull out of the islands was actually the right one, no-one is mad about this really. Fighting over the islands would have been a fools errand and undoubtedly would have lead to many civilians dead or wounded. Many people evacuated to the UK, rather than live with German occupation, many stayed because they did not want to abandon their homeland. They lived through five years of hardship, many islanders were jailed or sent to concentration camps for acts of resistance, sometimes as little as being found with a contraband radio. The last year was particularly harsh after the Normandy invasion in '44. This cut off supply lines and left locals and enemy forces starving until 11 months later when the islands were liberated.

If you want to piss off people from the islands, glib remarks about them "going nazi" will do it chap.

holy gently caress, i never knew this

why didn't the germans surrender when the allies were past paris??

twoday
May 4, 2005

"In August 1990, an unemployed French nuclear physicist named André Gardes armed with a semi-automatic weapon attempted an invasion of Sark. The night Gardes arrived, he put up two posters declaring his intention to take over the island the following day at noon. The following day he started a solo foot patrol in front of the manor in battle-dress with weapon in hand. While Gardes was sitting on a bench waiting for noon to arrive, the island's volunteer connétable approached the Frenchman and complimented him on the quality of his weapon. Gardes then proceeded to change the gun's magazine, at which point he was tackled to the ground, arrested, and given a seven-day sentence which he served in Guernsey. Gardes attempted a comeback the following year, but was intercepted in Guernsey."

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

i say swears online posted:

holy gently caress, i never knew this

why didn't the germans surrender when the allies were past paris??

It was actually a tactical decision on the part of the Allies, Hitler was convinced that they would take back the islands at any cost, which is why there were so many troops garrisoned here and so many coastal fortifications. The allies realised that by just bypassing the islands they wouldn't need to deal with all these troops until they were ready to. They starved out the Germans until they had no will to fight, and on May 9th '45 took the islands back with no resistance.

twoday posted:

"In August 1990, an unemployed French nuclear physicist named André Gardes armed with a semi-automatic weapon attempted an invasion of Sark. The night Gardes arrived, he put up two posters declaring his intention to take over the island the following day at noon. The following day he started a solo foot patrol in front of the manor in battle-dress with weapon in hand. While Gardes was sitting on a bench waiting for noon to arrive, the island's volunteer connétable approached the Frenchman and complimented him on the quality of his weapon. Gardes then proceeded to change the gun's magazine, at which point he was tackled to the ground, arrested, and given a seven-day sentence which he served in Guernsey. Gardes attempted a comeback the following year, but was intercepted in Guernsey."

This is one of my favourite local stories, the rifle was a Steyr AUG assault rifle. You can see it in the tiny and charming Sark Museum (open 2pm to 4pm).

Sark was (and in many ways still is) absolutely magic, and the Barclay Brothers have loving ruined it.

ReelBigLizard has issued a correction as of 13:36 on Aug 9, 2018

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

ReelBigLizard posted:

It was actually a tactical decision on the part of the Allies, Hitler was convinced that they would take back the islands at any cost, which is why there were so many troops garrisoned here and so many coastal fortifications. The allies realised that by just bypassing the islands they wouldn't need to deal with all these troops until they were ready to. They starved out the Germans until they had no will to fight, and on May 9th '45 took the islands back with no resistance.

This is one of my favourite local stories, the rifle was a Steyr AUG assault rifle. You can see it in the tiny and charming Sark Museum (open 2pm to 4pm).

Sark was (and in many ways still is) absolutely magic, and the Barclay Brothers have loving ruined it.

Its a shame Jersey is such a shithole that gives the bailiwick a bad name. I still have my mug from the 50th anniversary of liberation celebrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Byolante posted:

Its a shame Jersey is such a shithole that gives the bailiwick a bad name.

:agreed:

Byolante posted:

I still have my mug from the 50th anniversary of liberation celebrations.

I'm sure I could dig around and find one in the house somewhere. Looking forward to the 75th, I'm tangentially involved with some of the organisation, going to be a big one.

Liberation Day is a national holiday here, every May 9th. Everyone takes the day off to get pissed as farts and sunburned, which is about the most traditionally Guernsey thing you can possibly do.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ReelBigLizard posted:

:agreed:

I'm sure I could dig around and find one in the house somewhere. Looking forward to the 75th, I'm tangentially involved with some of the organisation, going to be a big one.

Liberation Day is a national holiday here, every May 9th. Everyone takes the day off to get pissed as farts and sunburned, which is about the most traditionally Guernsey thing you can possibly do.

Can you get sunburned in May when you're that far north of the equator? :)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
You can if you're pale enough.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

A friend of mine was imprisoned in Alderney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005