Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

pokie posted:

I was thinking of using it along with the gloves, but my bike's EEC rating is kinda poo poo. (http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-vehicle/mv-agusta/2015/mv-agusta-brutale-800-2013-present/4/861#formtop) Would plugging both in be viable if I don't run the heat on max?
To be honest, I don't know the answer to that question. My best advice would be to just fire off an email to RevZilla CS - they're much better trained in EEC than those of us who work(ed) in the store, since the store doesn't sell hard parts. I got an hour of training on it, but CS deals with it every day.

edit: If your bike can't handle a hardwired heated liner and you really want one, check out Mobile Warming. I've never used their stuff personally, but it's been on my wishlist for almost a decade for both motorcycle riding and casual wear. It's battery powered stuff; you can find it really cheap on Amazon, depending on your size.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

-Inu- posted:

edit 2: Also, somewhat relevant news, Anthony is stepping down from CEO of RevZilla: https://rideapart.com/articles/revzilla-ceo-steps

When he's 90 and senile in a nursing home, he will still be doing the "Heyyyy, it's Anthony here with Revzilla, where you can watch, decide, and ride" schtick in his wheelchair. I'm with a few of the commentors on that post in that I hope the next in line doesn't try to grow the company to the point that it becomes another faceless retailer with no soul and no real investment in the motorcycle community beyond squeezing more profit out of it.

I hope he opens an adventure ride touring outfit that ends every trip with smoking stogies and embarrassing themselves at a local skate park.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the info on gerbing, Inu. I really wish I could have gotten that, as I'm sure it's industry leading. I also appreciate your bringing up Mobile Warming, as I wasn't sure that tech was available for the common man yet. I'll take what I saved from not buying gerbing, and grab one of those jackets for a friend who really needs it!

Jazzzzz posted:

When he's 90 and senile in a nursing home, he will still be doing the "Heyyyy,it'sAnthonyherewithRevzilla,whereyoucanwatch, decide, and ride" schtick in his wheelchair.

Fixed spacing mistakes.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

-Inu- posted:

To be honest, I don't know the answer to that question. My best advice would be to just fire off an email to RevZilla CS - they're much better trained in EEC than those of us who work(ed) in the store, since the store doesn't sell hard parts. I got an hour of training on it, but CS deals with it every day.

edit: If your bike can't handle a hardwired heated liner and you really want one, check out Mobile Warming. I've never used their stuff personally, but it's been on my wishlist for almost a decade for both motorcycle riding and casual wear. It's battery powered stuff; you can find it really cheap on Amazon, depending on your size.

Cool beans - I will do that.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

pokie posted:

I was thinking of using it along with the gloves, but my bike's EEC rating is kinda poo poo. (http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-vehicle/mv-agusta/2015/mv-agusta-brutale-800-2013-present/4/861#formtop) Would plugging both in be viable if I don't run the heat on max?
I'm not familiar with MV charging systems but from general knowledge of modern bikes I'd be surprised if it couldn't handle a couple heated accessories. Even both together should be pulling less power than a headlight. If it actually is an issue, maybe get an LED headlight? That'll save several amps in the system.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
Huh, thought he was just some dude hired to do the videos.

edit: What kind of pants am I looking for if I live somewhere hot and need something that I can wear over work clothes but also double as regular riding pants with decent padding for dirt riding? Or are regular pants and overpants never the same thing?

carcinofuck fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 21, 2016

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I'm in QLD, i just wear textiles for general riding/doing things.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

carcinofuck posted:

Huh, thought he was just some dude hired to do the videos.

edit: What kind of pants am I looking for if I live somewhere hot and need something that I can wear over work clothes but also double as regular riding pants with decent padding for dirt riding? Or are regular pants and overpants never the same thing?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-anthem-2-mesh-over-pants

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
UK Sportsbikeshop are currently offering £100 off the exact colour of Shoei Neotec I want (and only that colour), and I still don't have the money to buy it outright :negative:

Gonna try taking advantage of getgeared's price match, since they have finance options that don't suck.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I picked up a Scorpion AT-950 with some Christmas money.

I haven't gotten a new helmet in about 5 years, so I have a question about the fit. First off, it fits very evenly everywhere and goes on and comes off without any trouble or unnecessary discomfort. However, after about 15 minutes of wearing it, it's starting to feel heavy and a little too snug. Given that it fits evenly, is the snugness just a factor of new padding that will loosen up after a few hours? It's a medium, for reference. The large was too large. Also, the display medium was noticeably less snug (read: more comfortable) than the unworn medium I brought home.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 29, 2016

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You're good. A new helmet should feel a bit too tight. You'll get used to the heaviness if it weighs more than your old one, your puny neck muscles will catch up.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

nsaP posted:

You're good. A new helmet should feel a bit too tight. You'll get used to the heaviness if it weighs more than your old one, your puny neck muscles will catch up.

Right on, that's what I thought. I'm pretty sure it's lighter than my old one, but the snugness just translates to a heavy feeling.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Renaissance Robot posted:

UK Sportsbikeshop are currently offering £100 off the exact colour of Shoei Neotec I want (and only that colour), and I still don't have the money to buy it outright :negative:

Gonna try taking advantage of getgeared's price match, since they have finance options that don't suck.

Trip report: they said no since SBS don't have my size in stock, but they gave me a 10% discount voucher just for asking :toot:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Right on, that's what I thought. I'm pretty sure it's lighter than my old one, but the snugness just translates to a heavy feeling.

The appropriate goon method for breaking in helmets and gloves is to wear them in front of the computer.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

General rule is that if you can chew gum without biting your cheeks, the helmet is too big.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

The appropriate goon method for breaking in helmets and gloves is to wear them in front of the computer.

Tried playing Battlefield with a helmet on once and got a major migraine. :smith:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

-Inu- posted:

General rule is that if you can chew gum without biting your cheeks, the helmet is too big.

poo poo, I can't even chew gum in my 5 year old helmet.

Hey, while you're in here, do you have any insider information on the TCX Drifters? I tried a pair on yesterday and they seemed fuckin awesome.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Chichevache posted:

Tried playing Battlefield with a helmet on once and got a major migraine. :smith:

Helmet probably doesn't fit right and the adrenaline of riding overrides the pain.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Helmet probably doesn't fit right and the adrenaline of riding overrides the pain.

The last time I felt real adrenaline while riding was when I nearly speared a fireblade into a rubbish truck doing 15km/h on a country road for some reason.

Also A* SMX-6' are incredible, first boot I've worn that felt broken in the first time I put it on.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

It was a lovely SevenZeroSeven I bought before I even had a bike. Now it's my backup in case I ruin another helmet.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My Olympia Odyssey One Piece Suit has finally bit the dust, I think. Left arm zipper is toast, and it's just plain worn out. Between it's prior owner, and myself, it probably has well over 60k on it. Been wanting a proper suit all year so now is the time, I guess.

What it needs to do:
-Keep me dry in a downpour
-Be used for the rest of this winter (used with heated gear/;ayers), but would be awesome if I could use it into spring or even summer.
-Sport/touring/commuting
-Pants that zip up high so I can put them on without taking off my boots would be great. I take my gear on and off a lot.

I've narrowed this down to either the Klim Overland in advrider gray, or the Icon Raiden DKR in slate/orange (because ktm), based on FortNine and RacesToPlaces reviews. The two suits are basically the same cost, so I feel like I should be getting the Klim bling branding if I'm dropping the coin, and the gray looks legit. The dkr would show dirt less, match the black colors I normally like, and have the ultra-cool spot on the shoulder to mount a spot tracker.

Anyone have any experience with these, or advice?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Did the olympia do a good job of being warm and dry?

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
Today I learned that the pinlock pins on my Shoei RF-1200 rotate.

The pinlock had been getting a little foggy & I couldn't figure out why. I took it apart, & when I put it back together it was basically just floating on the bottom & not making contact/sealing at all.

Turns out the pins in the face shield rotate, and different rotations change the tension. I'm not 100% sure that's why the rotate... but now I am getting a good seal & no more fog.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Space Whale posted:

Did the olympia do a good job of being warm and dry?

Oh yes. Even without heated gear, the thermal liner kept me really warm. I'd get another one of those, but I really don't want a one piece right now. Easier to just remove the jacket when I get to school or whatever, and not have to lug around a bulky suit.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I have an Olympia AST that I quite like. Good quality materials. I've needed to use a heated vest with it sometimes but it may be that I just get cold easily.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Coydog posted:

Been wanting a proper suit all year so now is the time, I guess.

What it needs to do:
-Keep me dry in a downpour
-Be used for the rest of this winter (used with heated gear/;ayers), but would be awesome if I could use it into spring or even summer.
-Sport/touring/commuting
-Pants that zip up high so I can put them on without taking off my boots would be great. I take my gear on and off a lot.

Anyone have any [...] advice?

Aerostich.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've got the Olympia Horizon rain jacket and pants for when it's wet or for another layer when it's in like the 40s.

Guess I've only tossed them on like a dozen times, but they keep the water out and have held up really well.

Have the orange/black. Retroreflective . Super bright and visible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Yeah not sure why this isn't in the list.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Picked up an Aerostich on eBay for $260 this week and I've been loving it. I look like I'm going snowmobiling but other than the look it's perfect.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Fender posted:

Today I learned that the pinlock pins on my Shoei RF-1200 rotate.

The pinlock had been getting a little foggy & I couldn't figure out why. I took it apart, & when I put it back together it was basically just floating on the bottom & not making contact/sealing at all.

Turns out the pins in the face shield rotate, and different rotations change the tension. I'm not 100% sure that's why the rotate... but now I am getting a good seal & no more fog.

That's exactly why they do that. If you look closely you'll see the bit of the pin that contacts the pinlock insert is offset from the centre of the pin. Rotating the pin moves the post back and forth to allow you to maintain a proper seal on the insert; some bikes (eg the Triumph Tiger) have drive chain adjusters that work the same way.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 31, 2016

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Can someone recommend a good set of helmet speakers? No Bluetooth, just corded speakers that will Velcro in place with a quick disconnect 1/8" jack.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
There are surprisingly few sets of wired "helmet speakers" on the market - might be easier to take the drivers out of a set of inexpensive on-the-ear headphones and give them a shot.

I tried a set of the Tork motorcycle helmet speakers, they sucked balls. Ended up ripping up a set of old Koss PortaPros I had and they worked out reasonably well. Getting the driver the right distance from your ear makes a big difference in the quality of sound you get.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Even the stock speakers on some com sets are pretty crap. I soldered on some koss portapro on my scala cardo G9 set, much better audio and higher volume than stock.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What about bluetooth? Would I be better off just finding a good deal on a Sena or a lightly used one even though I don't need comm capabilities?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Pulled the trigger on that Neotec, should ship in a week and a half :toot:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I have an Olympia AST that I quite like. Good quality materials. I've needed to use a heated vest with it sometimes but it may be that I just get cold easily.

I had not considered to look for 2 piece offerings from the same company I enjoyed. Thank you.
http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/gear/olympia-ast.php
Canyon Chasers has a very positive review of it, thats for sure. Seems like it's just a 2 piece version of the 1 piece I had. A little bit more frumpy, I think.

dema posted:

I've got the Olympia Horizon rain jacket and pants for when it's wet or for another layer when it's in like the 40s.

Guess I've only tossed them on like a dozen times, but they keep the water out and have held up really well.

Have the orange/black. Retroreflective . Super bright and visible.

Rains come and go here, and going waterproof with just a couple zips, without even stopping, is my goal.

Z3n posted:

Yeah not sure why this isn't in the list.

Because the icon raiden suit is $700, and Aerostitch is $1400. Plus, I'm just not sure I want to sacrifice my cool guy image by looking so dadly (same issue with similar suits).

On paper, the 'stich is probably exactly what I need. I do all sorts of riding, nearly every day, in all sorts of weather, and I need something that goes on and off quickly. Some engineer at stitch would be infuriated that I'd leave the best option on the table over looks and price, but there it is.

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Picked up an Aerostich on eBay for $260 this week and I've been loving it. I look like I'm going snowmobiling but other than the look it's perfect.

Looking on ebay, it looks like these go for well less than MSRP left and right. What's that about? I'm trying to figure out my size, currently.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Looking on ebay, it looks like these go for well less than MSRP left and right. What's that about? I'm trying to figure out my size, currently.

I think it's due to them not being able to sell specific sizes on Craigslist easily?

In my case (5' 9" 145 lbs) I aimed for a 40 - 40L. Ended up with a 40L and it seems to fit just right. All the armor is where it should be and it sits pretty snug along my entire frame. Some people recommended a 40S for me but who knows, this 40L works great. I found three different sizing charts from Aerostich that gave me different sizing suggestions. People get religious about their Aerostich sizing. I just ended up taking a leap of faith...

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Coydog posted:

Plus, I'm just not sure I want to sacrifice my cool guy image by looking so dadly (same issue with similar suits).

Man, do I got some bad news for you: those Olympia suits look just as frumpy. You haven't looked cool in years. Unless you want to wear Dainese one piece leathers, or jeans and a perfecto jacket, you are going to look like a 55 year old dad, just learn to accept it.

Also, yeah, the 'stich is more expensive, but does that really matter if it lasts 4 times as long and you don't have to buy a new replacement suit every 2 years? Buy cheap, buy twice and all that.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

I had not considered to look for 2 piece offerings from the same company I enjoyed. Thank you.
http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/gear/olympia-ast.php
Canyon Chasers has a very positive review of it, thats for sure. Seems like it's just a 2 piece version of the 1 piece I had. A little bit more frumpy, I think.

Rains come and go here, and going waterproof with just a couple zips, without even stopping, is my goal.

Because the icon raiden suit is $700, and Aerostitch is $1400. Plus, I'm just not sure I want to sacrifice my cool guy image by looking so dadly (same issue with similar suits).

On paper, the 'stich is probably exactly what I need. I do all sorts of riding, nearly every day, in all sorts of weather, and I need something that goes on and off quickly. Some engineer at stitch would be infuriated that I'd leave the best option on the table over looks and price, but there it is.

They last forever and are indestructible. Check out advrider for used klim and aerostich stuff. Maybe pick up some kind of tool carrier while you're at it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

What about bluetooth? Would I be better off just finding a good deal on a Sena or a lightly used one even though I don't need comm capabilities?

I've yet to use my Sena 20s for communication (outside of phone conversations) and the quality is great. The voice commands make it great for changing tracks or switching to/from radio, as well.