Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Polygon have always been an utter joke of a site lol, real impressive managing to gently caress up copying a press release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Len posted:

Either Polygon doesn't know how to read Roman numerals or DQ9 is coming to PlayStation and also getting a different subtitle. But they've left the typo up for 10 days now lol

https://www.polygon.com/23400752/playstation-plus-games-for-october-2022-extra-premium
Don't you dare play with my heart like that Polygon, I dearly want a DQ9 remaster/remake.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Commander Keene posted:

Don't you dare play with my heart like that Polygon, I dearly want a DQ9 remaster/remake.

Me too. I own the game on DS, but I want to play it with all of the content that was lost to the stupid online features. I cannot fathom who thought that all of that was a good idea. It reminds me slighly of how the FFT remake, War of the Lions on PSP, had a bunch of content blocked off behind multiplayer. Why do people have to shoehorn online/MP elements into everything?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hyper Inferno posted:

I'm replaying DQXI and this time around I'm really noticing just how many songs are being reused from older games. It really skirts the line between being nostalgia bait and laziness and I feel myself going back and forth repeatedly on which I think it is. It helps that it's orchestrated now though.

Since I'm playing the definitive edition this time, it's the first time I'm doing the Tickington quests. I had a huge smile on my face when the Moonbroke princess was shocked that the MP recovery item I was giving her was so common in the world I was coming from. That was definitely a fun bit of nostalgia bait. I just wish they put in the effort of giving the enemies sprite animations too instead of just PC animations.

Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if sugiyama wasn't actually able make a whole games soundtrack again forcing them to do something like this

E: yes I know he's dead now and it's good

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 23, 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It is still so rad that he's dead

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Hi friends, so, I'm trying not to spoil myself and look at a walkthrough, but I'd like to know how far through DQXI I am. I've got the six orbs and I'm in the forest on top of Arboria and I'm going to assume this is only about halfway through the game, if that. I'm asking because at this point I find the game endlessly charming but not overly compelling. I've really only had one thing that I would consider even remotely challenging (the girl in the mural) and that was pretty quickly solved with rearranging some skills for Serena so I could prevent being charmed. I don't know that I"m asking for the game to get harder, just for something a little more involved than letting the "Show No Mercy" AI run every battle for me and wrap it up in two rounds, then use the Heal All button and walk to the next fight.

Basically: is the game going to pick up from here? Or did I just get older and this is more or less just nostalgic comfort food that I can come back to occasionally on a rainy day?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

There's definitely a lot more challenge in Act 3 (and the Tockington missions in XI-S I think?) but large swathes of Act 1/2 are definitely the comfort variety

If you're playing on PC you could use Cheat Engine to turn on some of the Draconian Challenges, I think

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

OzFactor posted:

Hi friends, so, I'm trying not to spoil myself and look at a walkthrough, but I'd like to know how far through DQXI I am. I've got the six orbs and I'm in the forest on top of Arboria and I'm going to assume this is only about halfway through the game, if that. I'm asking because at this point I find the game endlessly charming but not overly compelling. I've really only had one thing that I would consider even remotely challenging (the girl in the mural) and that was pretty quickly solved with rearranging some skills for Serena so I could prevent being charmed. I don't know that I"m asking for the game to get harder, just for something a little more involved than letting the "Show No Mercy" AI run every battle for me and wrap it up in two rounds, then use the Heal All button and walk to the next fight.

Basically: is the game going to pick up from here? Or did I just get older and this is more or less just nostalgic comfort food that I can come back to occasionally on a rainy day?

For reference, you're basically right at the end of Act 1.

I'd say Act 2 is definitely more involved. Not only are the battles on a higher level, but it's a bit more open in terms of what order you can do things in, and based on that order some fights might end up easier or harder.

Act 3 is where the game really takes off the kid gloves. Everything is a lot stronger and there is absolutely no set order for how you do things. If you're still somehow using the AI settings at this point, the game will punish you for it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:hmmno:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
who is this smol friend

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Someone's Deathmaster Pukulipo that I rented

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ah, the Chopper Chopper, my favorite weapon. I love to chop Chops.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Ph dang I didn’t know this came out!

How is it?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I just got the Magic Key in DQ XI S and thought it'd be a good time to take advantage of duping chests through the 2D to 3D conversion since a lot of easy overworld chests open up and I wouldn't lose too much storyline progress.

But it turns out resetting literally every chest makes it really annoying to Nose For Treasure so I decided against it even though having multiple Wristoratives would be really nice.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Do the chests actually correspond? I was under the impression that each mode had its own chests and you could just pick them up at your leisure more or less.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Alxprit posted:

Do the chests actually correspond? I was under the impression that each mode had its own chests and you could just pick them up at your leisure more or less.
Everything resets when you change from 2D to 3D or vice versa. You keep your level and inventory (except specific plot key items), the sidequests you've done, and your plot progress up to the beginning of the chapter you select, everything else resets. You could do a New Game Plus by choosing the first chapter with an endgame party, you'll have to pick up party members over again but IIRC they'll be the same level and have all their items when you recruit them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Commander Keene posted:

Everything resets when you change from 2D to 3D or vice versa. You keep your level and inventory (except specific plot key items), the sidequests you've done, and your plot progress up to the beginning of the chapter you select, everything else resets.
and this is the best way to get enough mini medals for everything, too, cause it means you don't have to hunt the others down/farm like rare drops or something

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You can get mini medals way faster by stealing them from the slot machine and bloody hand enemies that are around in one of the trials in act 3.

If you get really lucky the hands will just chain summon more hands for you to keep stealing them from, I got like 20 medals from a single encounter once.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't like DQ games where the medals are drops or stealable...feels weird. Why is there is a mini medal king/queen if mini medals are just like. Out and about held by monsters.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I think it makes sense for games where you have to buy prizes with medals, instead of getting rewarded for reaching 5/10/etc medals. That's just DQV though, unless anything drops medals in NES IV.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

In Training posted:

I don't like DQ games where the medals are drops or stealable...feels weird. Why is there is a mini medal king/queen if mini medals are just like. Out and about held by monsters.

Yes, but it also feels weird to pretend you're the only person who ever looked in the chest behind the blacksmith's house.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Look, it's all just this big game, a scavenger hunt a family lineage with more money than sense organized because they have way too much time on their hands. The blacksmith puts a new medal in there whenever someone takes one because some rich guy is paying him to.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It figure it's supposed to be a folklore sort of thing, where you leave little medals behind the dresser and fairies give you good luck or something.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

welcome posted:

I think it makes sense for games where you have to buy prizes with medals, instead of getting rewarded for reaching 5/10/etc medals. That's just DQV though, unless anything drops medals in NES IV.

Yup. That's also the only slight I think I have against DQV, I don't like having to spend mini medals like that...again it just feels wrong.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

YggiDee posted:

It figure it's supposed to be a folklore sort of thing, where you leave little medals behind the dresser and fairies give you good luck or something.

And the so-called hero takes these fairy tributes, leaving all the poor blacksmiths unprotected and unlucky. Like the portable forge wasn't already destroying their industry enough.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Isn't killing the great evil and liberating the land the luckiest outcome of all?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Who left the treasure chest there? Who cares! Just think of it as divine providence.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I honestly like DQ11's approach. You can actively hunt for the medals and get the prizes as early as possible when they're most useful, but if you missed a few you can still get the last prizes by stealing them from endgame mobs without having to look at a guide or going crazy looking for that last chest in the map Nose for Treasure tells you exists but you've already combed the map 5 times and where's is it?!?! AAAAAA :bang:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

So other than maybe a little bit of Dragon Warrior when I was a child, the only Dragon Quest I've ever played is DQ8, until now. I went through DQ1+2 on the gbc and they were short and academically interesting.

Like 30 seconds into DQ3 for the SNES I thought "ooohhh, this is why the series is so beloved." I love the battle animations. It's vibrant art style is making me want to go back and try 1+2 SNES. The personality and class system feels deep and I'm pretty sure I'll play it again to try different combinations. When I realized I had to fight Orochi twice without going back to town and resting, I was able to kill all my characters and use call shop to summon a priest to resurrect them with full mp.

DQ3 might make my top rpg list and it's really making me want to skip 4 and 5 and just play 6 when it's over. At some point I'll probably also start dq8 again and do something goofy like an all fist run.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Nihilarian posted:

DQ3 might make my top rpg list and it's really making me want to skip 4 and 5 and just play 6 when it's over.

I strongly recommend that you do not do this, 4 and 5 are also all timers while 6, sadly, is not (IMO).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
DQ6 tried to do a lot and while it was visually impressive for its time and had a lot of content, it can be rough. The boss you fight just before class changing unlocks can be hellishly hard in the SNES version.

DQ4 on the NES was awesome. Though when playing through it for the first time you realize things like having Taloon skip the chests in the silver statue cave is the ideal thing to do because you can grab the gear in ch5 and get a huge early game boost from doing so.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I like VI only a little less than most of the other games but it’s definitely not something I’d recommend on the basis of liking the customization III’s vocation system offers. The vocation/class system in VI/VII is honestly kinda not customization-heavy the same way III can be.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Vi feels like a generic by the numbers RPG with dragon quest, music and graphics layered on top

Which is really weird because it shouldn't feel like a downgrade given that Dragon Quest is a generic by numbers RPG. It's just so mundane compared to all the others except for maybe 1 and 2 mostly due to their age

The sprite work in SNES VI is gorgeous and was setting me up for an amazing adventure I thought. I was just so drat bored 10 hours in though. I eventually did beat it on the DS but it never got any better

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

6 sounds tempting because of the battle system but it's definitely missing much of the charm and joy of most other entries. Still worth a play.

Recently got DQIX working on my WiiU, the only entry I have yet to play...maybe once winter sets in it'll be time to dive in.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

KingSlime posted:

Vi feels like a generic by the numbers RPG with dragon quest, music and graphics layered on top

Which is really weird because it shouldn't feel like a downgrade given that Dragon Quest is a generic by numbers RPG. It's just so mundane compared to all the others except for maybe 1 and 2 mostly due to their age

The sprite work in SNES VI is gorgeous and was setting me up for an amazing adventure I thought. I was just so drat bored 10 hours in though. I eventually did beat it on the DS but it never got any better

Yeah 6 is so weird. Even after reading your post and nodding my head at every point, I still can't put my finger on exactly what the deal is with it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Yeah 6 is so weird. Even after reading your post and nodding my head at every point, I still can't put my finger on exactly what the deal is with it.

Imho it’s because VI is the only one without a “thing”, a goal beyond just being Another Dragon Quest. 2 massively expands on what 1 laid the groundwork for, 3 continues on that trend, 4 is arguably a step back in pure gameplay terms but has more of an overarching story on top of the whole Chapter thing, 5 is probably one of the coolest SNES games period in terms of its execution of its goal of a twenty year odyssey to find a legendary hero on top of monster taming still being a new concept*, 7 was “holy poo poo we can make HOW many vignettes on two discs?”, 8 was a journey across seas and skies (even the JP title is basically that), 9 was kinda ambitious for even trying to be a handheld MMO kinda deal, and 11 was the anniversary title.

VI…I like it, I’d much rather replay it than what I played of II, and it’s gameplay stands out for being probably the hardest one, but even by the team’s admission it was made on the basis of just doing stuff other games had been doing like alternate worlds, which doesn’t really stand out as much as it could aside from the actually pretty cool twist that the playable character is the super cool and strong and popular fictional version of the actual irl guy who’s kind of a wimp and also gets absorbed into the dream version of himself and is just gone

*iirc shin megami Tensei was already a thing back then but so were RPGs before Dragon Quest made them more approachable

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

*iirc shin megami Tensei was already a thing back then but so were RPGs before Dragon Quest made them more approachable

Megaten predates DQV by a good five years, and had two games already by that point, and Shin Megami Tensei dropped like a month after DQV. They weren't some unknown thing, as the first two games were critical and commercial successes.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

heal slime banana stand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh my