Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Pivo posted:

It's not obnoxious, we use them to guide people around the user interface, or to notify people of certain things like "hey, your credentials / API key expired!".

I can't help you build this kind of extension because as I said it would be a hackish heuristic at best and will break the web.

I'm sure it's not obnoxious on your company's website, to you. It's obnoxious to me, everywhere else. Anyway, this isn't the place to argue about how annoying they are. I was just looking for a browser extension that can kill them, no matter how useful/obnoxious they might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Pivo posted:

It's not obnoxious, we use them to guide people around the user interface, or to notify people of certain things like "hey, your credentials / API key expired!".

I can't help you build this kind of extension because as I said it would be a hackish heuristic at best and will break the web.

Sure, and other companies use them to display "helpful" information about products and services they think I might be interested in. Hijacking an entire UI just so you can spam people with poo poo is pretty bad design no matter what the intent is.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

That HTTP Switchboard extension is loving awesome. It looks like it completely replaced ABP, AdBlock, and Disconnect for me. It also uses Pollack's Host File as one of its blacklist sources which is amazing. I've been trying to maintain a git repo for my host file and merging in his changes and checking it back out on all my machines. This makes it so much easier to maintain and lets me unblock per ad/element.

I'm always kinda shocked when I use someone else's browser at how many ads are on pages I go to every day.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

Sure, and other companies use them to display "helpful" information about products and services they think I might be interested in. Hijacking an entire UI just so you can spam people with poo poo is pretty bad design no matter what the intent is.

Yeah I completely disagree with you. There are entirely valid reasons to have an element pop over your screen to notify you of important poo poo, or a modal dialog that you initiated by clicking a 'settings' button or whatever.

"Hijacking" a UI? Yeah, people who serve ads do that, and that's on them. If you can figure out an algorithm to tell legit from non legit, you might even make some money. In my experience, one doesn't exist.

You're lucky I don't work in online ad sales or anything of the sort, or I'd laugh at your plight. Trust me, it's annoying for me too when I go to Forbes and there's this popover and it's like hey, whats up, whatever, I don't even see the contents cause adblock, I click the x. But if that poo poo works for them, they're going to keep doing it, and there's no way to know what's a UI element and what's an ad, so.......... have fun! But keep raging against the machine man, you really do us all proud by ignoring the technical details and going full-blown emotion.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Somewhat related to the ad blocking discussion, at my shop we've been getting several machines in lately that have adware extensions installed in the customers browsers that interjects ads on sites that normally don't have ads (apple discussion forums and banking websites for example) or double the amount of ads on normal sites, add popups, etc. Often times these extensions are accidentally installed because the user thinks they are really installing video codecs and whatnot. I found a script that scans Safari, Firefox, and Chrome for these extensions and automates the removal of the extensions and all of their components. I've made it a habit of running the script on every machine that comes through the shop, and at least a fourth of the time it uncovers something on the customers machine. I thought this might be useful for any other tech here that are faced with this issue and may not have seen it before. It gets updated pretty frequently, and hasn't had any adverse effects on the computers I've ran it on. The removal tool can be found here:
http://www.thesafemac.com/art/

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 9, 2014

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I'm using Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows on my iMac for the first time. While partitioning the disk, the progress bar has hung here for 20 minutes or so:

I'm presuming it's stuck. The system itself, while a little slow, isn't frozen. Not being the most technically minded of people, I'm a wee bit unsure of how best to proceed. I don't want to go force quitting stuff (clicking the red X gives me a 'The disk operation is in progress. Please wait until it completes.' message) or shutting down my machine if it's doing something pretty serious behind the scenes. Any tips on what I should do?

EDIT: I quit the app. Everything seems fine but now I have extra drives showing up under Disk Utility:

PV2 is 800 gigs. Have I done something weird and split my fusion drive? Urg. I have a backup of all my files so if there's a suggestion for an easy way to get back to normal, that'd be appreciated. Googling isn't helping me much.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 9, 2014

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I have two weird issues currently (on an older MBP running Mavericks); one is that iPhoto starts every single time I plug my iPhone in for a recharge even though I've told OSX to Do Nothing in the image transfer app, it always goes back to Open iPhoto and it's annoying.

The second is that I sometimes lose system sounds. Video and music work fine, but system sounds like throwing something into the trash, emptying trash, dragging and dropping files etc. make no noises at all. Seems like a reboot fixes this but I'd like to find out why this happens in the first place.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, to chime in on the modular popup discussion: they suck; never use them. Get a better designer if they've convinced that they're good, useful, or not obnoxious and somehow the most helpful way to alert someone.

Anyway, are there any working ad-blockers for Safari 8?

Tenterhooks posted:

I'm using Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows on my iMac for the first time. While partitioning the disk, the progress bar has hung here for 20 minutes or so:

I'm presuming it's stuck. The system itself, while a little slow, isn't frozen. Not being the most technically minded of people, I'm a wee bit unsure of how best to proceed. I don't want to go force quitting stuff (clicking the red X gives me a 'The disk operation is in progress. Please wait until it completes.' message) or shutting down my machine if it's doing something pretty serious behind the scenes. Any tips on what I should do?

EDIT: I quit the app. Everything seems fine but now I have extra drives showing up under Disk Utility:

PV2 is 800 gigs. Have I done something weird and split my fusion drive? Urg. I have a backup of all my files so if there's a suggestion for an easy way to get back to normal, that'd be appreciated. Googling isn't helping me much.

I don't know about the second half, but creating the partition on my old iMac took forever and a day, but, surprisingly worked after I ran iDefrag 3 or whatever the hell. This was three or four years ago though, so YMMV.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2d2fks/watch_netflix_natively_on_linux_no_pipelight/

I gave this a try but it doesn't work. Anybody else with Mountain Lion want to have a go? Maybe I'm screwing up my user strings or am using the wrong version of Chrome. I'm also tethering and in danger of hitting the cap so now isn't the best time for me.

edit: This is HTML5 Netflix. The Linux guys passed a milestone.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 9, 2014

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
ABP makes my safari run like piss garbage. I use GlimmerBlocker.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
GlimmerBlocker breaks a lot of poo poo. AdBlock is better and you'll hardly ever notice it unless you're that starved for processing power or something. From what I've read they haven't sold out enough for me to care, I just don't want to look at any ads.

Javascript Blocker will kill a lot of annoyances too. It tries to make smart determinations about what you do and don't want running, it'll still occasionally break pages but you can make exceptions right from the taskbar drop-down. Though I usually just go straight to Chrome if something isn't working right cause a lot of stuff just doesn't work right on Safari to begin with.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I really, really, hope that Yosemite and iOS 8 allows me to continue listening to what's playing on my iPhone on my Mac when I arrive home. That's all I really want!

edit: grammar

decypher fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 9, 2014

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

decypher posted:

I really, really, hope that Yosemite and iOS 8 allows me to continue listening to what's playing on my iPhone on my Mac when I arrive home. That's all I really want!

edit: grammar

Not as of yet. I'm going to say it's pretty unlikely.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I believe the APIs for continuity are public so you will probably see apps doing that eventually.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

shodanjr_gr posted:

I believe the APIs for continuity are public so you will probably see apps doing that eventually.

But iTunes doesn't have much of a public API to receive the message. Still on Apple to implement

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

benisntfunny posted:

Not as of yet. I'm going to say it's pretty unlikely.

That's a real shame. It seems like a pretty obvious feature, oh well.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

decypher posted:

Gotta have something for iOS9 dude.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tenterhooks posted:

Quitting while rebuilding partitions is bad news.

Boot into recovery and see if disk utility there offers to fix your fusion drive.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5446

If that doesn't work, I would suggest visiting an apple store, and be glad you have a backup. Playing with fusion drive partitions gets funky.

Stare-Out posted:

I have two weird issues currently (on an older MBP running Mavericks); one is that iPhoto starts every single time I plug my iPhone in for a recharge even though I've told OSX to Do Nothing in the image transfer app, it always goes back to Open iPhoto and it's annoying.

The second is that I sometimes lose system sounds. Video and music work fine, but system sounds like throwing something into the trash, emptying trash, dragging and dropping files etc. make no noises at all. Seems like a reboot fixes this but I'd like to find out why this happens in the first place.

Try this...

Iphoto>Preferences>General>Connecting A Camera>Opens No Application.

For the second issue, reset PRAM...

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

If that doesn't fix it, test it in a different user. If it keeping happening there, I'd suggest backing up and reinstalling the OS.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Tenterhooks posted:

You have split it, and it's weird but normal for your machine. Far as I can tell from some searching of my own, this split happens because some versions of Windows suffer from a 2.2TB disk size limit. Boot Camp normally tries to put the Windows partition at the end of the disk, but on a 3TB iMac it can't. It was trying to build something like this on your HDD:

#1 Mac partition
#2 Windows partition
#3 Mac partition

where #1 and #2 fit completely inside the 2.2TB limit, and #3 (aka PV2) is the remaining 800GB. Fusion is okay with using multiple HDD partitions behind the scenes, so one of the final steps in Boot Camp's repartitioning dance would've been to add PV2 to your Fusion Drive.

Unfortunately you interrupted things before it got to that step, and it's not easy to fix. Nor is it advisable to try, IMO. Seconding Kingnothing's suggestion to follow the instructions in the "Troubleshooting" section of the link he posted. That should get you a fresh OS X install on a standard Fusion drive partition structure, after which you can retry Boot Camp setup. Just don't freak out if it looks stalled. It can take a long time to repartition large drives, especially if they've got a bunch of data on them.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If you run Boot Camp again, it might let you grow your mac partition back and then you can start over.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So I am not receiving any updates or new versions of the Yosemite beta? I started on it right after it went public, but nothing since?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

AlternateAccount posted:

So I am not receiving any updates or new versions of the Yosemite beta? I started on it right after it went public, but nothing since?

I think beta is updated less often than the DP.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, the public beta doesn't get the same updates that the DP does.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

If you run Boot Camp again, it might let you grow your mac partition back and then you can start over.

I would absolutely not do this. This will likely make the problem worse.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Really, the question is how well-abstracted are fusion drives?

If it were any other drive, you could just remove the offending bits and resize the Macintosh HD partition, right in Disk Utility. Is there anything in the way fusion drives are handled or in how Disk Utility works that makes the abstraction of it just being one large drive break down?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Fusion Drive is a well abstracted layer of the OS. The problem is that Disk Utility doesn't have much user interface for it, and what little it does have is aimed at hiding the details rather than showing you what's really going on.

That said, it isn't an easy problem. Fusion is a part of Core Storage, the OS X logical volume management layer. LVMs build up "logical" volumes (partitions) from one or more physical partitions. They can create one-to-many, many-to-one, and many-to-many mappings between physical and logical partitions, and that's difficult to design good UI for (especially if you're afraid of putting too much techie detail in the UI).

I dunno if there's anything new in Yosemite because I haven't been running the betas (no time for beta software right now), but I hope Apple does something about it sooner rather than later. Post-Steve Apple seems more willing to put geekier things into OS X UI.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

noirstronaut posted:

Hey, to chime in on the modular popup discussion: they suck; never use them. Get a better designer if they've convinced that they're good, useful, or not obnoxious and somehow the most helpful way to alert someone.

The defense of them is bizarre. They're always irritating and awful to me. It's a good way to drive me away from a site. I can't wait until they hopefully get forced out.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

decypher posted:

What's obvious about it?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Whirlwind Jones posted:

What's obvious about it?

When I saw the announcement about OSX and iOS getting more integrated, that was literally the first feature that popped into my mind, since it's something I've wanted to be able to do ever since I got a Mac. Honestly I'm kind of surprised if they aren't adding it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It sounds obvious right until you try and think about how it would actually work. There are a ton of questions (how would it know when you want the transfer or are just coming back into range for a moment, would it work both ways, should it stop playback on the phone, should it transfer entire playlists, should it automatically unmute speakers, and many more) that don't seem so simple to resolve, and in comparison to the other things continuity is being used for (SMS, phone calls-which can't be transferred mid call, web history) it seems to be more complex/error prone. I could see Now Playing coming to the music player and syncing just the list between two machines, but not automatic handoff of playing audio.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It could be a feature of iTunes Match. Playlists are synced that way. I think it wouldn't be that complicated for a user. You play something on the phone, then the next time you open iTunes it's at the same point in the music. You play something in iTunes, then the next time you open up Music on your phone it's in that place. That's about as complicated as Whispersync to save the point you've read to between Kindle devices.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They already sync that information -- you just need to check off "remember playback position" in the song options and it will dutifully do that.

It's not default behavior because most users don't expect that and it would be a lovely experience for the normal user.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I just imagined it as a button on itunes that appears when your phone is playing music, and pushing it pauses the phone and plays the music in itunes. Basically it would just do what I do manually when I get home and want to keep listening to my music. Doesn't seem that complicated to me, but maybe I'm oversimplifying it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

tankadillo posted:

I just imagined it as a button on itunes that appears when your phone is playing music, and pushing it pauses the phone and plays the music in itunes. Basically it would just do what I do manually when I get home and want to keep listening to my music. Doesn't seem that complicated to me, but maybe I'm oversimplifying it.

This approach is something that could be done via continuity fairly easily I think. It fits with the whole model they're going for, where the user chooses to continue an activity from another device.

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.
I don't think it's been updated in years and I never used it personally, but third parties have tackled this in the past.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

crazysim posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2d2fks/watch_netflix_natively_on_linux_no_pipelight/

I gave this a try but it doesn't work. Anybody else with Mountain Lion want to have a go? Maybe I'm screwing up my user strings or am using the wrong version of Chrome. I'm also tethering and in danger of hitting the cap so now isn't the best time for me.

edit: This is HTML5 Netflix. The Linux guys passed a milestone.

I am pleased to announce and confirm that this works for Chrome Beta on OS X on Mountain Lion. HTML5 Netflix! Non-discrete graphics card rendering on Discrete/Integrated GPU MacBooks. Retina interface and (maybe) content for Netflix for Retina MacBook users! Longer battery life! Silverlight plugin no longer required. Go ahead and uninstall that poo poo as it's pretty much only Netflix that ever wanted that. Reduce that attack surface!

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/08/netflix-linux-html5-support-plugins

Use the user agent and chrome extension in here.

Make sure in chrome:flags that

1. "Disable prefixed Encrypted Media Extensions." is grey
2. "Enable Encrypted Media Extensions." is white

crazysim fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 11, 2014

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
The iTunes on my work MacBook (2011 MBP) has this hugely irritating bug where the audio drops out every now and then for about 5-20 seconds. The song progress pauses while the dropouts occur, and audio played through other software seems to be unaffected. My personal MBP (almost the same exact model) doesn't have this problem at all. I've tried updating iTunes but it hasn't gone away.

I've googled this a bit and there seems to be a lot of shoulder shrugging with no explanation or fix suggested. I'm just wondering if I'm missing some key resource somewhere due to searching for the wrong thing.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ineptmule posted:

The iTunes on my work MacBook (2011 MBP) has this hugely irritating bug where the audio drops out every now and then for about 5-20 seconds. The song progress pauses while the dropouts occur, and audio played through other software seems to be unaffected. My personal MBP (almost the same exact model) doesn't have this problem at all. I've tried updating iTunes but it hasn't gone away.

I've googled this a bit and there seems to be a lot of shoulder shrugging with no explanation or fix suggested. I'm just wondering if I'm missing some key resource somewhere due to searching for the wrong thing.

Is some software pausing it to play an alert or something? Maybe a silent alert... It sounds intentional and your other software simply isn't listening for OSX's event to pause audio. It wouldn't pause and then resume randomly, that's some intentional code path being hit erroneously.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Ah ok that makes a lot of sense. Is there somewhere I can look to see if there are (silent) alerts going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ineptmule posted:

Ah ok that makes a lot of sense. Is there somewhere I can look to see if there are (silent) alerts going on?

Honestly I have no loving idea. Go look at Activity Monitor and see what poo poo is running, then go look at their Preference screen to see if they have a "Pause audio when..." option or something like that.

I mean it just seems to me something is doing that intentionally, but I couldn't hazard a guess as to what. I do know that applications can post a "pause audio" event that well-behaved applications are supposed to listen to.