Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

And it reinforces a maginally harmful misunderstanding of racism/the world in general.

Such as Americans who can't really twig how modern Europe can have race wars far bloodier than anything that happened in the States when everyone is white. It kind of matters if they're, say, running the peacekeepers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cyrano4747 posted:

You don't have to be a dick about it, but it does no one any good to have people believing in what are essentially comforting myths at the expense of understanding the reality of the area. If african americans (or afro-whatevers living somewhere else) want to be proud of a history that isn't just getting kidnapped by assholes there are things you can legitimately point them to. While the archaeology is sparse due to a combination of academic neglect and the political difficulties of the region, there are bona fide medieval kingdoms you can point to in W. Africa. Barring that we know significantly more (although still depressingly little) about groups on the E. African coast.

I mean, poo poo, Mali/Ghana repeatedly produced major powers that were ridonkulously, unbelievably rich, up until European naval technology crippled their trade monopoly (and eventually devaluing their gold and salt probably didn't help).

The most famous story is of course King Musa personally and single-handedly crashing the Mediterranean economy by spending ludicrous bucketloads of gold on his pilgrimage to Mecca. :v:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Strategic Tea posted:

And it reinforces a maginally harmful misunderstanding of racism/the world in general.

Such as Americans who can't really twig how modern Europe can have race wars far bloodier than anything that happened in the States when everyone is white. It kind of matters if they're, say, running the peacekeepers.

Which race wars are these?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Hogge Wild posted:

Balkan conflicts in the 90s would be my guess.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Hogge Wild posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_association_football

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Balkan conflicts in the 90s would be my guess.

Yes.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Are these race wars? Are Serbs a different race from Croatians? Do more people die from racist football related crimes in Europe or from from racial violence in USA?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The idea that "white people" or "black people" are these two monolithic groups instead of collections of dozens of ethnic and cultural groups that happen to have the same skin colour is kind of silly. That whole line of thinking is basically a direct result of colonialism which is why the definition of what exactly constitutes "white people" is so different from place to place and usually happens to only include those groups that are well interated and have some measure of socio-economic power. Like how the Irish and the Italians after them were not white when they first came over to America but became white as soon as they had established themselves. Hispanic immigrants are in a very similar situation today.

Hogge Wild posted:

Are these race wars? Are Serbs a different race from Croatians? Do more people die from racist football related crimes in Europe or from from racial violence in USA?

Race is a social construct. The Serbs technically speak the exact same language as the Croatians and are drat near indistinguishable to an outsider but cultural and religious differences have lead to them defining themselves by their differences when they really should be the same people. Then you have Bosniaks who are also basically the same ethnically and linguistically but due to them being predominantly Muslim and a lot of baggage from the days of Ottoman rule they are seen as alien by many other Yugoslavs.

This is of course heavily simplifying a lot of really complicated political poo poo that has been going on in Yugoslavia for decades.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 12, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Basically what FS said. If people widely agree that they're different races they basically are. And if they're willing to kill for it they clearly feel more strongly than we do. People in the thick of it won't stop to think about the biology of it all (which I know absolutely nothing about).

I was joking about the football

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Strategic Tea posted:

Don't get me started about Americans who think everything they perceive as American is a self-evident good. Other world views? What are those?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

feedmegin posted:

Also, Nubia was a thing, and there were actual, verifiable Nubian Pharaohs. That's kind of the tiny kernel of truth at the core of the Black Aphrodite thing. The Egyptians certainly weren't black, but there were periods towards the end of ancient Egypt where they were in fact, as far as we can tell, ruled by black people.

This is absolutely true, and someone who's interested in the whole "Black Egypt" thing should absolutely be told about it. My point is that rather than make up bullshit for people to be proud of from a heritage angle it's a lot better to point them to actual, real things.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Race is a social construct.

Yes, it is, but social constructs are very powerful things despite having no "innate truth" behind them. Our societies are organized around them, our cultures draw heavily upon them, and they inform a huge amount of the historical events that built the world we live in.

I only mention that because when someone identifies with one of those constructs and wants to learn about how people that look like him (or her - you can apply this to gender as well) were influential in history it's a legitimate desire. A huge chunk of mainstream American culture is built around an understanding of the past that centers on the accomplishments of primarily men from a very specific racial and class background. If you're a white student in an American school it's not too hard to imagine yourself as the most recent iteration of a cultural tradition that goes back through American history, on out to European pre-colonial history, etc. If you're an african american student that kind of dead ends at the slave trade. The desire to know that there were people doing important things where your ancestors were taken from is natural, as otherwise they're just another natural resource stripped from the continent.

Ynglaur posted:

Don't get me started about Americans who think everything they perceive as American is a self-evident good. Other world views? What are those?

Just about every nationality does this. I've met plenty of Europeans who though everything positive in the world emanated from them and took delight in pointing out how backwards Americans are in various ways. Same deal with Koreans, actually, and an assumption that everything good in the world has emanated from their peninsula. Those are just my personal experiences, I'm sure just any group of people you choose to name has those elements.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ynglaur posted:

Stupid people: a uniquely American problem

:jerkbag:

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Serbs technically speak the exact same language as the Croatians and are drat near indistinguishable to an outsider but cultural and religious differences have lead to them defining themselves by their differences when they really should be the same people.

Well, that's certainly the Serbian position.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just about every nationality does this. I've met plenty of Europeans who though everything positive in the world emanated from them and took delight in pointing out how backwards Americans are in various ways. Same deal with Koreans, actually, and an assumption that everything good in the world has emanated from their peninsula. Those are just my personal experiences, I'm sure just any group of people you choose to name has those elements.

I once got into a very drunken argument with a Frenchmen at a wine bar who claimed that America had never created any art forms. Blues and jazz didn't count because they were mainly created by African-Americans? TV didn't count because the Farnsworths were recent immigrants or something, whelp. And on and on.

It was in Arles where there's Roman stuff and that is how it relates to this thread.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Chichevache posted:

Stupid people: a uniquely American problem

:jerkbag:

You have to admit we do it particularly well from time to time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The way I've always seen it is that in the US, we care about race, and to us, race is a very defined thing that has to do with skin color, a certain few facial characteristics, and a vague pretense of where some of your ancestry came from that nobody actually investigates.

It's a defined thing because people have done a lot of work defining it, and academics have done a lot of work defining it in papers and such, and I'm sure that plenty of universities still have those papers in their files next to the phrenology books and studies on criminal brains, but just because it's a social construct with a tenuous basis in the physical world doesn't make it any less real in the society that constructed. If you wanted to discard all social constructs, you'd be living alone in the wilderness.

And then in these other places where they don't give a single gently caress for the concepts of race as defined by us in America, they care about other things that seem strange to us because it is profoundly hard to care about another society's particulars with anything near the intensity that they do. And then when they feel the need to communicate their particulars to the english-speaking world, they use the word race, even though it's not what we over here have in our mental dictionaries define race as, because it's a similar concept and the word ethnicity is big and clumsy and lacks the punch of race.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

mossyfisk posted:

Well, that's certainly the Serbian position.

Random anecdote, by my barber is from Bosnia, she says Croats, Bosniaks and Serbs were pretty indistinguishable to insiders too. She moved here before the dissolution I think, and once the wars started all the Serbian, Bosnian, and Croatian youths here in Canada suddenly starting being dicks to each other. Nationalism is ridiculous.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ynglaur posted:

Yeah, remember that time we engaged in that futile invasion of Afghanistan Iraq Persia MediaParthia.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Ynglaur posted:

Eeeh, it's also that thanks to the US being preeminent on the world stage, the rest of us hear about your idiots a lot more than the other way around.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Time living abroad quickly disabuses you of any notion that Americans are especially nationalist/self-centered. Americans look like models of world citizenry to me after six years living in Asia. Anyway this is drifting into too modern territory.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They sure are friendly though, when Crassus showed up they gave him a central role in a play they were doing!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Pontius Pilate posted:

I once got into a very drunken argument with a Frenchmen at a wine bar who claimed that America had never created any art forms. Blues and jazz didn't count because they were mainly created by African-Americans? TV didn't count because the Farnsworths were recent immigrants or something, whelp. And on and on.

TV isn't art, stand up comedy definitely isn't art, video games most certainly are not art.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

I only mention that because when someone identifies with one of those constructs and wants to learn about how people that look like him (or her - you can apply this to gender as well) were influential in history it's a legitimate desire. A huge chunk of mainstream American culture is built around an understanding of the past that centers on the accomplishments of primarily men from a very specific racial and class background. If you're a white student in an American school it's not too hard to imagine yourself as the most recent iteration of a cultural tradition that goes back through American history, on out to European pre-colonial history, etc.
or things slightly more fine-grained than gender--for instance, it was really great when i was a teenager to learn how many masculine women there were in history and the things they did. You go from wondering if there's only one or two people like you to learning about hundreds, and that's powerful, especially for a child. People like you in history can be people to admire, potential role models, potential models of what not to do, etc.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAL posted:

or things slightly more fine-grained than gender--for instance, it was really great when i was a teenager to learn how many masculine women there were in history and the things they did. You go from wondering if there's only one or two people like you to learning about hundreds, and that's powerful, especially for a child. People like you in history can be people to admire, potential role models, potential models of what not to do, etc.

More info please, wherever is actually a good place for it. Learning about rad people is rad.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Vikings did names right.

Except when it comes to Harald Halvdansson. He swore to not cut his hair until he was king of whole of Norway, during that period he was known as Harald Tanglehair. After he became king he cut his hair and was known as Harald Fairhair.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

PittTheElder posted:

Random anecdote, by my barber is from Bosnia, she says Croats, Bosniaks and Serbs were pretty indistinguishable to insiders too. She moved here before the dissolution I think, and once the wars started all the Serbian, Bosnian, and Croatian youths here in Canada suddenly starting being dicks to each other. Nationalism is ridiculous.

You could try to guess someone's nationality by their name and by their religion. You still can. That didn't change - people here are as in/distinguishable now as they were before the wars.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Kassad posted:

Eeeh, it's also that thanks to the US being preeminent on the world stage, the rest of us hear about your idiots a lot more than the other way around.

Well it's not like we get a lot of love. The Persians had a great irrigation system that is arguably better than the Roman Irrigation system. But that would require dealing with the Iranian government, and they don't have a great track record of dealing with Americans. Yeah it's a nerdy argument, but gently caress the Iranian government for keeping westerners out.

gently caress, I would be all about praising Persian culture if I could do it without having to worry about getting kidnapped by the modern assholes. Props to the Ayatollah's at least they want to preserve their history.

The Saudi's just want to turn Mecca into Muslim Vegas. Might as well put Donald Trump in charge of Mecca, he would be slightly more tasteful.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 19, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

More info please, wherever is actually a good place for it. Learning about rad people is rad.
I posted about a bunch of them in the old milhist thread, did you catch them there? For instance:
https://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585027&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=681#post451134245

(Frustrated that we don't know anything more about Capt. Hendrich, not even her first name, but when you consider that most human beings have been and will be completely lost to anonymity, a last name and a single paragraph are pretty good.)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

thrakkorzog posted:

Well it's not like we get a lot of love. The Persians had a great irrigation system that is arguably better than the Roman Irrigation system. But that would require dealing with the Iranian government, and they don't have a great track record of dealing with Americans. Yeah it's a nerdy argument, but gently caress the Iranian government for keeping westerners out.

gently caress, I would be all about praising Persian culture if I could do it without having to worry about getting kidnapped by the modern assholes. Props to the Ayatollah's at least they want to preserve their history.

The Saudi's just want to turn Mecca into Muslim Vegas. Might as well put Donald Trump in charge of Mecca, he would be slightly more tasteful.

i personally know a dude who's had at least two field trips to Iran to study manicheism, and though he is Norwegian and not American he's still indisputably western, so it's not completely closed off by any means

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Doctor Malaver posted:

You could try to guess someone's nationality by their name and by their religion. You still can. That didn't change - people here are as in/distinguishable now as they were before the wars.

On the "identifying other ethnic group" anecdote, my dad still proudly talks about how growing up in the north of Ireland they could identify a Protestant on sight. This was in the Republic so it's possible there was a slight difference in cloth styles and surnames tended to be a good identifier but he still maintains they just 'walked differently' or something. People are weird when it comes to tribal identity.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I remember reading that Guelphs and Ghibellines could differentiate each other by how they cut fruit.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I remember reading that Guelphs and Ghibellines could differentiate each other by how they cut fruit.

loving big-endian scum.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

MrNemo posted:

On the "identifying other ethnic group" anecdote, my dad still proudly talks about how growing up in the north of Ireland they could identify a Protestant on sight. This was in the Republic so it's possible there was a slight difference in cloth styles and surnames tended to be a good identifier but he still maintains they just 'walked differently' or something. People are weird when it comes to tribal identity.

"Oi, it's Brian O'Neil's older brother's ex-girlfriend's sister's uncle's cousin, and he's a Protestant! Let's gently caress him up!"

Alternatively: "Oi, that guy looks incredibly nervous and lost while walking around in a Catholic neighbourhood. Let's gently caress him up!"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If they are carrying a 24x36 picture of the queen on an orange background and reciting the full text of Martin Luther's On The Jews and Their Lies in a monotone and have a Union Jack carved into their forehead they are very likely to be Protestant.

If they are not wearing a condom and have their chin pouches stuffed with potatoes and are clutching a rosary while drunkenly muttering a list of the top 10 best popes based on death tollthey are probably Catholic.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 20, 2016

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

MrNemo posted:

On the "identifying other ethnic group" anecdote, my dad still proudly talks about how growing up in the north of Ireland they could identify a Protestant on sight.

It was the horse.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

FreudianSlippers posted:

If they are carrying a 24x36 picture of the queen on an orange background and reciting the full text of Martin Luther's On The Jews and Their Lies in a monotone and have a Union Jack carved into their forehead they are very likely to be Protestant.

If they are not wearing a condom and have their chin pouches stuffed with potatoes and are clutching a rosary while drunkenly muttering a list of the top 10 best popes based on death tollthey are probably Catholic.

Hmmm, still doesn't narrow it down. Quick! Ask them to pronounce the letter "H"!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Non-catholics wear at least one condom at all times, just in case

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FreudianSlippers posted:

...Do we adjust Julius 2 up or down for executing Cesare Borgia?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

perfect