Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

1 posted:

I find it bizarre that, for example, Michael Caine was born before hamsters were domesticated.

Wikipedia says that whomsoever grabbed a hamster out in the wild would have a domesticated hamster in two days :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wikipedia says that whomsoever grabbed a hamster out in the wild would have a domesticated hamster in two days :shrug:

Fair enough, then Michael Caine was born before hamsters were commonly sold as pets in the USA.

Wait, gently caress, Michael Caine wasn't even born, was he?

Maurice Joseph Micklewhite was born before hamsters were commonly sold as pets in the USA.

poo poo, his parents might not have decided on a name prepartum, hang on...

A baby who, shortly after being born, would be christened Maurice Joseph Micklewhite was born before hamsters were commonly sold as pets in the USA.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

1 posted:

Maurice Joseph Micklewhite was born before hamsters were commonly sold as pets in the USA.

Ah hell, I just realized some people called him Maurice.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How could you even tell if a hamster was domesticated or not

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Snowy posted:

How could you even tell if a hamster was domesticated or not

Those vacuous eyes, that stupid grin on his face.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

1 posted:

Yesterday's Wordle being "decal" reminded me of a couple of counterintuitive etymological facts:

1. "Decal" and "cockamamie" are both shortenings of the exact same word ("decalcomania").
2. "Periwinkle" (the gastropod) and "periwinkle" (the flower) are etymologically unrelated.

Oh no, my Royal Doulton with the hand-painted gastropods!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Trabant posted:

Ah hell, I just realized some people called him Maurice.

He's a Joker an Alfred. He's a smoker. He's a midnight toker.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Statistically speaking most of the people who call Michael Caine Maurice are probably dead.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

Statistically speaking most of the people who call Michael Caine Maurice are probably dead.

Wow, he hates being called Maurice that much, huh

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

1 posted:

Fair enough, then Michael Caine was born before hamsters were commonly sold as pets in the USA.

poo poo, his parents might not have decided on a name prepartum, hang on...

A baby who, shortly after being born, would be christened Maurice Joseph Micklewhite was born before hamsters were commonly sold as pets in the USA.

Was he tho?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

is it like breaking a horse?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That would take a really small saddle.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Mescal posted:

the scene in Pee-wee's Big Adventure but instead of a row of motorcycles he knocks over a row of horses

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Empty Sandwich posted:

the scene in Pee-wee's Big Adventure but instead of a row of motorcycles he knocks over a row of horses

...and they turn into hamsters?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

1 posted:

Haha I used to say this to my dog!

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Don't know if this really counts but I was really surprised to learn that Patrick Swayze isn't a ghost yet in the famous pottery scene in Ghost. Never had seen the movie before but I always thought it was ghost-him trying to be close to her.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Friend posted:

Don't know if this really counts but I was really surprised to learn that Patrick Swayze isn't a ghost yet in the famous pottery scene in Ghost. Never had seen the movie before but I always thought it was ghost-him trying to be close to her.

It's been 30 years since I've seen it, but... I seem to recall a second scene where she's alone, doing the pottery thing, and ghost Swayze shows up to sort of duplicate the earlier scene, and Demi's character feels his presence, etc.

Was the scene only done once? No reprisal?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Friend posted:

Huh, weird. I haven't seen it and I absolutely thought the same thing. e: more :iiam:?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

credburn posted:

It's been 30 years since I've seen it, but... I seem to recall a second scene where she's alone, doing the pottery thing, and ghost Swayze shows up to sort of duplicate the earlier scene, and Demi's character feels his presence, etc.

I think that was a music video

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

credburn posted:

There was, but he's just kinda sitting in the background, not doing the sexy arms wrapped around her thing

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
This post could go in the Mandela Effect thread. I definitely recall ghost Swayze doing the sexy pottery thing.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Nameless Pete posted:

He's a Joker an Alfred. He's a smalfred. He's a midnight talfred.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Mescal posted:

I once knew somebody who didn't know that dogs were bred from wolves by people, she thought that each individual breed of dog was a once wild animal that people had domesticated. This implies that at some point in the past a man of iron will and sinew rode out onto the frozen plains of north china and captured a wild Pekinese, breaking it's proud spirit and bending it to his will.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Envisioning huge swarms of Chihuahuas roaming the wastes of their namesake desert devouring anything in their way until they're corralled by brave vaqueros who tame the savage beasts to market Taco Bell.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Tubby lederhosen clad Germans herding wild dachshunds out of the woods so that they can be properly de-wilded.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

FreudianSlippers posted:

Envisioning huge swarms of Chihuahuas roaming the wastes of their namesake desert devouring anything in their way until they're corralled by brave vaqueros who tame the savage beasts to market Taco Bell.

No, no, I think this makes more sense than reality.

1 posted:

Well, that triggered a dormant neuron!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Despite being good for your teeth, xylitol has half as much calories as sugar. I don't know why the gently caress I thought it had no energy. I guess it's only "artificial" sweeteners that have no energy.

It does have a very low glycemic index tho, apparently. So I guess that's nice.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 07:52 on May 7, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Most of the sugar alcohols have significant energy value.

Erythritol is an exception.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Despite being good for your teeth, xylitol has half as much calories as sugar. I don't know why the gently caress I thought it had no energy. I guess it's only "artificial" sweeteners that have no energy.

It does have a very low glycemic index tho, apparently. So I guess that's nice.

Might be because the reason it's good for your teeth is bacteria can't feed on it, so maybe you assumed "they can't derive energy from it so neither can I."

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Traditional depictions of angels are technically human/dinosaur hybrids.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Captain Splendid posted:

Traditional depictions of angels are technically human/dinosaur hybrids.

so, reptilians?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Michael Caine chat

For some reason, actor Richard Harris HATED Michael Caine and never missed an opportunity to trash talk him. Just absolutely despised the guy

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Favorite Micheal Caine fact: You can do I perfect Micheal Caine impersonation of him saying his own name by substituting the phrase "my cocaine".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Envisioning huge swarms of Chihuahuas roaming the wastes of their namesake desert devouring anything in their way

My dad told me this was true about sheep and I told my spanish class in high school

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Milo and POTUS posted:

My dad told me this was true about sheep and I told my spanish class in high school

Was your dad a big fan of Calvin & Hobbes? :v:

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvlWQyvEI38}

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Was your dad a big fan of Calvin & Hobbes? :v:

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvlWQyvEI38}

For our overseas friends who might not know: Australia does/did have a massive feral rabbit problem, and built a "rabbit-proof fence" to try to stop them spreading.

Also, Nasi Goreng is delicious. I'm not sure how much Indonesian food you get on the other side of the world, but we get quite a lot.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Oprah Winfrey's first name is actually Orpah, but people kept mispronouncing it as Oprah so she went with it

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"escalate" and "escalation" both derive from "escalator"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hyperlynx posted:

For our overseas friends who might not know: Australia does/did have a massive feral rabbit problem, and built a "rabbit-proof fence" to try to stop them spreading.

Also, Nasi Goreng is delicious. I'm not sure how much Indonesian food you get on the other side of the world, but we get quite a lot.

The Dutch apparently get a lot of it because of imperialism.

You lot get it because you're in Indonesia's backyard.

Haven't tried it myself but I've heard good things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Things like Bami and Nasi Goreng are pretty common over here, I assume due to the proximity of the Netherlands. I never thought about it before.

Indonesian cuisine is good, yes. We have a meme about the Dutch loving everything that's peanut-based, but that's actually due to Indonesian influence.