Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Only if he takes the call or leaves his "read" receipts on, like a doofus would.

I'm not scheduled, don't call me, don't text me, you don't pay me enough to have me "on call."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

While it may suck to be a man down the store will not burn to the ground.

As a manager you have to try but I never once guilted people, nor did I expect them to answer. I never texted because that is bothersome and unprofessional.

Just call, say you're down somebody and they can come in and work a shorter shift (if they want) or a whole shift.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
At the old store, a lot of the kids knew each other because they went to the same high school. If a cashier wouldn't answer the CSM's phone calls, she'd call them on the phone of another cashier. Everyone involved resented the poo poo out of this.

Turns out it is really hard to get people to come in when most of them are scheduled 16-22 hours a week and only get work when the store is on fire.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah he definitely doesn't have to answer and shouldn't answer. But if you work in retail and somehow are not scheduled to work Black Friday, chances are approximately 100.0% that they'll try to call you in.

Actually (this is in the US obviously) almost every retail store I've ever known of, it's explicitly communicated to employees that you WILL work not just Black Friday but that entire weekend, absolutely no requests off that weekend will be granted, don't call off or you'll be fired. Except people do call off and usually don't get fired for it, at least not immediately, because every retailer is desperate for warm bodies in December. But refusing to work Black Friday weekend is a great way to end up with your hours suddenly vanishing come the second week of January at most retailers.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 16, 2017

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

I close on Thanksgiving and then have Friday/Saturday off, and I can guarantee I will not be called in because I'm not cash trained, thank god. Plus my company is vehemently anti-overtime.
I'm working every night from now until Thanksgiving, of course.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
When I was working at a grocery store I loved black friday because it was dead as all hell. Everyone has leftovers from thanksgiving and if you don't want those you're going out to eat. We had ~6 customers over an 8 hour shift and they were all polite, it was amazing.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Week after xmas is unbelievably boring at my shop. The nature of the understaffed but always open structure is that once you have 2 shifts that aren't crazy there's basically nothing to do until the next train wreck. That can be a fortnight after xmas.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Looking forward to my first post-holiday period as a full timer. Gonna get that backroom floor SO CLEAN.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I took next week off entirely because I'm in the corporate operations-y end of things and can get away with it and it's going to be so much better than last thanksgiving when I came down with the wicked norovirus someone brought into our store that had me deeply weighing the relative benefits of making it to the toilet to vomit versus letting my skin touch the not-bed air because that was physically painful

(I made it to the toilet every time but it really hurt)

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Beastie posted:

While it may suck to be a man down the store will not burn to the ground.

As a manager you have to try but I never once guilted people, nor did I expect them to answer. I never texted because that is bothersome and unprofessional.

Just call, say you're down somebody and they can come in and work a shorter shift (if they want) or a whole shift.
Most people I work with ask for my number so they can text me if the need arises. I call them if I'm told that someone called out sick for this day and need someone else right now. When people call out sick for tomorrow or we have one those stupid corporate walks, I text instead to see if someone is willing to come in.

In fact, I find most people would prefer me to text them. This also gives them some time to think about it.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

While I was conditioning today, I saw some old packaging. The product in question was a TV dinner, not one of the popular ones, that had passed the sell by a few months ago. I find them now and then, and it annoys me. I don't often have time to rotate everything I stock, and most of my product has a shelf life between 2-3 years. For the vast, vast majority of what I sell, rotation through sales is very viable.

After finding two expired things in my department, I was on-guard when I went through dairy. I found a few bottles of juice that expired a month ago, got annoyed, emptied them out. Came back. Found more.

Got a shopping cart.

Filled it.

Got a second loving shopping cart HOLY poo poo WHY ARE THERE EGGS THAT EXPIRED IN loving SEPTEMBER IN THE CASE.

I would have gotten out half an hour early if I didn't go on a search and destroy mission through dairy. Ungh. Somehow I will be complained at for going above and beyond.

Sup, fellow expired-finder. Wait a month and you'll get to experience that all over again! :gibs:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Oh Christmas trees oh Christmas trees...

I was wearing a coat while unloading the truck, but I touched like one tree after I took it off and this happened. And this is after its been healing for days.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I work 4:30 PM to 1:30 AM on Thanksgiving, and then I come back at 7:30 AM Friday. I guess I don’t need sleep.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
The state mandates that we're closed on Thanksgiving day but hooo boy the days leading up to and right after it are absolutely bananas with people who don't regularly drink stocking up because they loathe their families.

It's stressful but usually pretty fun 'cause we'll be overstaffed and everybody loves the liquor man on the holidays.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Good lord the assmans at this store are bad. They put out our schedule for Thanksgiving week out on the 9th, and I have Monday-Thursday off, so my wife and I planned a small trip to Sequoia NP. I check the schedule today, the 18th, and now they have me down for working Wednesday as the closer.

Guess they won't have a closer that day!

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
A group of teenagers came in two minutes before close. I really, really, really needed them to know how much I hated them. I needed them to know so badly that I ached.

I decaf'd every single one of them.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
A close friend and I both recently lost our jobs (at the same restaurant) - we both got new jobs within 48 hours, me in another kitchen and him as a seasonal at the Gap, since the girl he's banging is a manager over there.

I spent five hours today rolling and tying twice my body weight in pork belly, but he has to be at work at 8am every day from now until Black Friday. Godspeed, good buddy.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

2 young guys tried returning a used amp to my store as a new item. We'd been called by the store they originally bought it from where they first tried returning it and the second store they tried returning it at, both times their story had changed about why there was a used amp in the box. An employee at the first store had overheard them talking about how they had burned up their amp and were going to buy a new one and return the old one in the box. Cue them popping in and their story has changed again. They tried at first being friendly and chipper, till I started unboxing the amp to inspect it like I would any return like that and asking the standard questions. Is it new, why are you returning it, etc. Then about halfway through I asked if they'd tried returning it at another store and he stopped dead for a few seconds before asking if I had been called by the other stores. After I told him yep, he decided to get nasty and complain about how the other stores were rude to him saying it was obviously used when he just bought it that day.

Cue my other coworker with 20+ years of car audio experience coming over to stand for 5 minutes and list off every common giveaway that the amp had that it was used and had been burned up by a poor install. Kid just stood dumbfounded during it as he took out a week of frustrations on this poor kid and picked his entire story apart bit by bit. Then came the begging and pleading about how it was all a mistake, the store that sold it to him obviously gave him a used amp, please take care of it, blah blah blah. Then came the threats of lawyers, he'd call the police on us because this was theft and the other sundry of complaints.

About 15 minutes after he left us, I got a call from the original store that somehow miraculously the amp in the box became brand shiny new and they decided they just wanted this over with. Funny how that works. Just glad my other closer got to tear into someone after a truly lovely week. He looked like he was enjoying himself. :kimchi:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 19, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Retail schadenfreude is the best schadenfreude.

I had a guy today who was fourth in a row buying a paper or similar with a $50 note, and we have a till limit of $200

"Don't have anything smaller by any chance, or a card?"

"nah, that's all I got mate"

"sure?"

"yep"

*gives 24 $2 coins*

"what's all this"

"that's all I got mate" :smug:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I had some crazy guy who would carry around a big sack of the Sacajawea dollar coins and say "I'M PUTTING THEM BACK IN CIRCULATION" before using them to pay for his things

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Since there's a lot more groceries stores than big box electronic stores, I see a lot of emails from various stores giving each other a tip on customers trying to scam them on returns through customer service. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that bullshit. Also I'd be telling customers who want to return 20 lb perfectly fine frozen turkeys to go gently caress themselves. So far I've seen three frozen turkeys brought back, while not bad, still irritating.

Last week I worked 59 hours even though I was only scheduled for 48. 11 hours on Friday and 13 hours on Saturday.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
The frozen turkey returns is because people buy a turkey and then just before Thanksgiving their employer gives them another one.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I hate how it feels like an ordeal every time you call out. You get judged by your bosses, money taken out of your pocket, and you're probably loving someone over.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I hate how it feels like an ordeal every time you call out. You get judged by your bosses, money taken out of your pocket, and you're probably loving someone over.

This is why im so glad my new company has a couple ways around that. A number you can call thats all automated or their employee app that puts it in the system for you. No guilt tripping managers to deal with.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

recall on holiday cashews because the packaging doesn't say they were processed in a facility that handles tree nuts :wtc:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

cephalopods posted:

recall on holiday cashews because the packaging doesn't say they were processed in a facility that handles tree nuts :wtc:

Aren't cashews nuts or are they one of those things that look like nuts but are some odd biological one-off?

I'm pretty sure they are nuts. I mean, don't the boxes say nuts on them?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

This is all intentional.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
We have a fully automated call in thing that you can do straight from a phone app and never interact with a person if you don't want to. Theoretically they want you to also call but I never do and have never heard anything about it. It's great.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

grimcreaper posted:

This is why im so glad my new company has a couple ways around that. A number you can call thats all automated or their employee app that puts it in the system for you. No guilt tripping managers to deal with.

This was the only thing I liked about working at Walmart. I almost never had to talk to an actual person when calling out.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

Aren't cashews nuts or are they one of those things that look like nuts but are some odd biological one-off?

They're tree nuts, yeah. I can't reference the package because they've already been destroyed, but they're visibly cashews and they're merchandised with all the other seasonal nut trays and whatever

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

ijii posted:

Since there's a lot more groceries stores than big box electronic stores, I see a lot of emails from various stores giving each other a tip on customers trying to scam them on returns through customer service. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that bullshit. Also I'd be telling customers who want to return 20 lb perfectly fine frozen turkeys to go gently caress themselves. So far I've seen three frozen turkeys brought back, while not bad, still irritating.

Last week I worked 59 hours even though I was only scheduled for 48. 11 hours on Friday and 13 hours on Saturday.

I am salary so every week I schedule myself for 45 hours (We get paid 40 hours + 5 OT as our salary) and then silently chuckle to myself.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Boxing Day sales would probably count.

Except the boxing day sales have been crap for years now as stores discount things before Christmas to try to bolster the Nov-Dec sales numbers which have been steadily falling. I agree it's similar in concept but it doesn't work as a comparison any more.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

'Murica. gently caress yeah black friday.

"This year we wanted to let our workers enjoy time with their families. We have decided that most associates will be working 11am to 8pm on thanksgiving."

"Also dont make plans for lunch. Your lunch will be dictated by customer flow."

Thanks upper management who wont be working that day. We love you too.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

We're open every thanksgiving, this year 8-6. My manager is working open to close, which should be interesting. I wanna work it just so I can see her do random closing tasks. :haw:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My store is closing at 2pm thanksgiving day :smug:

I will only work 3 am to 7 am that day, and double pay for holiday so it'll be like getting a full day of pay :smuggo:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

cephalopods posted:

I've seen jars of peanuts which have a warning label about how this package contains peanuts. Like, no poo poo.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

You need to stop caring. Once you get into corporate, non-customer service gigs all they say is "Oh, I hope you feel better soon."

And then they pay you for your sick day that most reasonable employers give you. Worrying if it will inconvenience someone and caring if the manager is upset are symptoms of retail Stockholm syndrome and a sign you should look for a new line of work. They will fire you the second that having you around is less profitable than keeping you on, and it is management's responsibility to staff at such a level that they can afford to have a person out sick. If they fail to and it fucks your co-worker over, that is management's fault, and not your's.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

therobit posted:

Worrying if it will inconvenience someone

To be fair, even at well-staffed jobs losing a person depending on the day can still be incredibly lovely. I always felt bad when I missed a day because lord knows how upset I always was when other people missed.

This does not extend to the second Walgreens I worked at, where they understaffed us like gently caress and someone seemed to call out literally every day and oh my god gently caress everyone there

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Cowslips Warren posted:

They are nuts and they're fuckin' crazy looking. They grow off of something called a cashew apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I've seen jars of peanuts which have a warning label about how this package contains peanuts. Like, no poo poo.

You know there's someone lovely enough that if they didn't put the warning on there, they'd sue the company for allergic reactions