Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Medullah posted:

Verizon definitely has the better coverage. But here in SE Michigan my Sprint LTE speeds are fantastic.

I am also in SE MIchigan (Ann Arbor, so coverage should not be a problem), and can barely even make phone calls inside my own house. Speed test shows me 10/.32 :haw:. Yesterday I ordered a SIM for Cricket because I cannot put up with the lovely service anymore. 16 years on SERO. RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
I was offered two different sub-$60 "unlimited" plans in one day this week. A $50 Unlimited Freedom plan (like a new customer would get) and a $30 unnamed "Loyal customer" plan that's 2G throttled after 2GB.

I've got just one line, still on Everything Data 450, and the contract on my LG G4 ended at the end of last month so it's past time to shop around. I'm not anticipating getting a new phone for at least 4 more months, so I started looking into Sprint MVNOs like Tello or Twigby. At the very least, it looked like I could change my Sprint plan to Unlimited Freedom with auto-pay and a further $5 state employee discount and be paying less than my Everything Data with 19% discount.

Then I did some more reading to see what the success rate is, if any, of people using the LG G4 Sprint variant on domestic GSM networks. There are some comments about a missing Band 12, but also enough success stories to convince me that I got my hands on a T-Mobile SIM to mess around with this weekend, just to see. But going back two days, I called Sprint Customer Care about getting my phone Domestic SIM Unlocked since I wasn't even sure if it was or not.

After being asked WHY I wanted it unlocked, and being put on hold a couple times, I was mumblingly told that there was some weirdness with their system, and the rep would call me back this Saturday goddamn morning instead. I said fine (it wasn't fine.) I called back yesterday morning, and this time was transferred to account services, without anyone asking me why. Phone was already unlocked, swell, but before that happened I was offered the $50/mo Unlimited Freedom deal. I said maybe, but not right now.

Then last night I got an "Exclusive offer for loyal customers" email. That offer is $30 for unlimited talk/text, and 2GB of LTE data, throttled to 2G after that. It looks like the deal that's listed on their website for $45 with a $5 autopay discount available, but it seems like you have to call or visit a store to actually sign up for it. My account page doesn't let me switch to anything other than the $65($60) Unlimited Freedom plan.

Anycrap, the timing was suspect enough that I wondered if me requesting my phone to be unlocked triggered these offers, or if this is just standard for long time customers. I have literally never used more than 2GB of data, so I'm considering the second offer. I don't stream much video off wifi, and I only wish I had a hotspot about once a year, so Unlimited Freedom isn't that attractive to me. Still, an MVNO that would fit my usage would be cheaper than either.

But no matter what, my next phone is going to be unlocked, and not purchased from Sprint.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

How the gently caress do you have a still working LGG4? I thought they had time bomb motherboards.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

RodShaft posted:

How the gently caress do you have a still working LGG4? I thought they had time bomb motherboards.
They absolutely do, and this one poo poo the bed in January after a year and a half. I got it repaired through LG, so we'll see how long it lasts now.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

utonium posted:

a $30 unnamed "Loyal customer" plan that's 2G throttled after 2GB.

Throttled to 2G or 3G? 2G would be 1X . That's good for nothing.

A 1X data connection would be equivalent to a 14.4k or 28.8k baud modem... with more lag.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Throttled to 2G speeds. Probably still ok for email, nav, checking weather, a painfully slow Google search if necessary, and I would guess messaging things like WhatsApp.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Throttled to 2G speeds. Probably still ok for email, nav, checking weather, a painfully slow Google search if necessary, and I would guess messaging things like WhatsApp.

MAYBE email, I'd say nav, weather and Google searching would be out. 2G is really really spectacularly slow. If that plan requires any type of contract, I'd not even consider it. 2GB isn't that much, and I know you said you never go over that, but when you do and you need it, it will really suck to be stuck on 2G.

If you want to spend $30/mo on a phone, ditch sprint and go with something else that's cheap and decent.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Casu Marzu posted:

How the gently caress is Sprint so bad? I've been randomly testing Sprint's LTE around town and I've yet to get better than .74/1.2. :psyduck:
Wait, that's not normal? Oh dear...

SpeedTest app too embarassed to even allow me to tap Share, lol.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Has anyone taken their Sprint phone to Europe? I'm wondering how slow their free roaming options are. They claim you only get 2G speeds, but I'm wondering if that's actually true. I've heard anecdotes of other carriers promising horrible speeds like that but then actually providing 3G or 4G in practice.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

rhombus posted:

Has anyone taken their Sprint phone to Europe? I'm wondering how slow their free roaming options are. They claim you only get 2G speeds, but I'm wondering if that's actually true. I've heard anecdotes of other carriers promising horrible speeds like that but then actually providing 3G or 4G in practice.

If you have a phone that supports GSM (such as an iPhone) just get a local SIM card. It'll be cheaper and vastly superior.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

e.pilot posted:

If you have a phone that supports GSM (such as an iPhone) just get a local SIM card. It'll be cheaper and vastly superior.

I have done that in the past, but the new basic service is free. Upgrading is $25/week.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/global-roaming.html

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Long story short I've ended up not buying a used phone and just ordered a S8 from Sprint.com that I've paid in full (side-note: a sprint affiliate store that I called was going to charge me $50 to buy the phone in person lol what).

Does anyone have any case recommendations (sans Otterbox - I don't want something that bulky)? TIA~

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Long story short I've ended up not buying a used phone and just ordered a S8 from Sprint.com that I've paid in full (side-note: a sprint affiliate store that I called was going to charge me $50 to buy the phone in person lol what).

Does anyone have any case recommendations (sans Otterbox - I don't want something that bulky)? TIA~

Diztronic makes a good TPU case.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

effika posted:

Diztronic makes a good TPU case.

That's actually the case I have on my S5, didn't think to look at the brand till now. It's been a good case so ya will probably just get the S8 case then, thanks.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Surprised I'm not seeing more people taking advantage of the free year of service here. I get that it is preferable to pay for something worth having than get something not worth having for free, but...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Most of the people in this thread are already Sprint customers, so we're not eligible for new customer plans

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Medullah posted:

Most of the people in this thread are already Sprint customers, so we're not eligible for new customer plans

Yeah, when you've been around since the 90s they figure they've got you for life. I keep buying unlocked phones thinking this will be the year that I switch, but I just never quite do it. :smith:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

effika posted:

Yeah, when you've been around since the 90s they figure they've got you for life. I keep buying unlocked phones thinking this will be the year that I switch, but I just never quite do it. :smith:

So basically this?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My 75 year old grandparents and disabled aunt are on Sprint paying like $185/mo for 3 lines of unlimited talk/text and 3gb of shared data. Three leased iPhone 5s

They're not tech-literate but they run out of data every month and I think the bill is crazy.

The buyout on the leased phones is over $600 but they're considering just paying the lump and going to Cricket, since they'll quadruple their data and the break even point is only like 10 months out.

Can Sprint do them any better? All the good promos seem to be for new lines only.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

Surprised I'm not seeing more people taking advantage of the free year of service here. I get that it is preferable to pay for something worth having than get something not worth having for free, but...

I'm still waffling over this. Every time I get sick of having terrible coverage and LTE speeds, sprint seems to magically fix itself for a day or two.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So seeing that new Essential phone arrive as a Sprint exclusive, probably the first phone since the LG G3 that I cared to get from Sprint themselves since they have a 50% savings on the first 18Month Lease deal. However I am also on the older SERO Premium plan that I still do not want to let go of. It looks like I can pre-order the phone online, but it says I will be asked to change plans when I go to activate the phone.

Currently when I have been activating a few other Test devices on my current plan, I call SERO support and they do it for me without changing anything, but being this phone is from Sprint themselves, would they have some sort of retarded requirement that wouldn't budge on activating it until I loose my plan for good?

I still feel with my usage that I do not get throttled or anything on SERO, and all the new plans have it which I don't want to have to deal with, ever if possible.

Also Sprint LTE has hit 100Mbit not far from me, so they continue to get better around where I live which is good.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Sirotan posted:

I am also in SE MIchigan (Ann Arbor, so coverage should not be a problem), and can barely even make phone calls inside my own house. Speed test shows me 10/.32 :haw:. Yesterday I ordered a SIM for Cricket because I cannot put up with the lovely service anymore. 16 years on SERO. RIP.

I travel all across metro Detroit every day and sprint makes me want to claw my eyes out about 80% of the time. I’m actually shocked when I go to a new place and LTE speeds work. I’ll be switching to my wife’s att plan next month.

Edit: I will say I was surprised to learn that I didn’t have to pay any extra to access networks when out of country. I was not surprised to get awful service.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 23, 2017

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Sub Rosa posted:

Does this work if switching from straight talk? My daughter currently has an iPhone on straight talk and this would be awesome. Can I sign up under my name if I already have an account with Sprint?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Harminoff posted:

Does this work if switching from straight talk? My daughter currently has an iPhone on straight talk and this would be awesome. Can I sign up under my name if I already have an account with Sprint?

Yes to Straight Talk, no to under your name because it's new customers (no account in last 45 days) only.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
My wife and I finally combined our accounts and got rid of the SERO plans. The end of an era. I started working for Sprint in the fall of 2006 so it had been a good 11 year run with either an employee plan or a SERO plan after I left the company. But there were just constantly too many hoops to jump through and the cost wasn't making sense anymore. I'm not sure if we'll even stay with Sprint, but for the time being at least I can finally buy my phones wherever the hell I want. Sprint is the worst.

edit: wow, actually I started working for them in 2005. So 12 years. I started the same week the Nextel merger went through.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Sub Rosa posted:

I've been on it for two months now. Even in metro Detroit sprint sucks compared to T-Mobile that I switched from. But then I see my bill for 4 lines went from $175 a month to $10.32 a month and suddenly I don't give a gently caress.

When can I upgrade after switching and getting in the free plan? When I log into my account it just says NA for all of my lines upgrade options.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Think it's 2 months after your start date.

When I first switched to the free service Sprint was sucking donkey dicks for data speeds and I was getting like .75/.5. I dunno what happened with them in the last month but I'm consistently getting 12/5 all of a sudden and I'm not annoyed that I switched from Verizon anymore.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I have an LGG6 and am on sero. Is there a way to share some data with a tablet without paying extra? I want my son to be able to pokemon while I use my phone for maps and things.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm at $6.52 for two lines. Data speed is drastically different from place to place. What is weird is the places I have full bars LTE and webpages load like 3G. Overall I've tripled the amount of data I was using on Fi. I'm pretty happy. I mean, no way I'm sticking around after the gimmick year, but.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

RodShaft posted:

I have an LGG6 and am on sero. Is there a way to share some data with a tablet without paying extra? I want my son to be able to pokemon while I use my phone for maps and things.

If you Root the G6 then yea its as easy as a simple line addition to the build.prod file.

Without Root, its much more of a pain in the rear end.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Also since switching to Sprint, I almost NEVER have more than two bars (circles on the iPhone) of service. I think I've seen three once for like a minute. Which is insane.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Back from Europe and Sprint's international roaming actually worked pretty well. Turned off airplane mode and got a text from Sprint informing me that texts are free, voice is $0.20 per minute, and data (4G) is $0.03/MB. Only used 0.7 GB so it ended up being cheaper and much more convenient than picking up a local SIM, especially since we went to a couple different countries.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

rhombus posted:

Back from Europe and Sprint's international roaming actually worked pretty well. Turned off airplane mode and got a text from Sprint informing me that texts are free, voice is $0.20 per minute, and data (4G) is $0.03/MB. Only used 0.7 GB so it ended up being cheaper and much more convenient than picking up a local SIM, especially since we went to a couple different countries.

Yeah, I was impressed with it in Ecuador this summer. We didn't pay for the 4g data, so it was pretty slow, but we had great service from the partner carrier (Movistar, ironically, better coverage than we do in the US with Sprint towers....), and it was nice to have the option of 4g if we had needed it. Completely seamless, apart from having to restart my phone when we got to the new country.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Got the PH-1 Essential Phone from Essential but using it here on Sprint. Had to get a new Sim card for it, but once it was all set up, it picks up LTE+ which does seem to double the speed at my place and overall it holds a strong signal everywhere I go. Even better than the 6P which was better than the HTC10 and U11 actually.

I guess they did tune this phone to be a good performer on Sprint as some users are complaining about less then stellar signal on T-Mobile (Not a big surprise) and a little on AT&T.

Also in a bit of snafu as I was without my main phone because of that Sim swap, I was using my EVO LTE that's on FreedomPop as a backup device today, and in Sacramento as I was going around, it held LTE pretty much everywhere which was pretty impressive. I know the phone was born way before there was a network for it, but it was pretty neat seeing it be a trooper today with solid 4G and actually clear calls over data all with the free service.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So I guess Sprint stopped doing the 2 year contract $200 off a phone upgrade thing?

$200 off a lease for upgrading to a Note 8? Is there any catch to leasing or is it just "don't miss a payment"

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Revitalized posted:

So I guess Sprint stopped doing the 2 year contract $200 off a phone upgrade thing?

$200 off a lease for upgrading to a Note 8? Is there any catch to leasing or is it just "don't miss a payment"

No, they still do it, but on some plans, they add a $25 fee (Which is more expensive than the lease LOL).

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

If you Root the G6 then yea its as easy as a simple line addition to the build.prod file.

Without Root, its much more of a pain in the rear end.

There's no root for it apparently. I tried foxfi and pdanet for tablets and I can connect them(over Bluetooth) and browse the internet. But Pokemon Go says there's no internet connection when i try to use that. Any ideas?

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 16, 2017

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

After having sprint for free for three months, I don't understand how anyone pays for this poo poo service. It's horrriiibbllleeeee. I live in the third most populated city in Michigan and work in the fourth, and the service is horrible. There's times literally nothing will load. Seriously how does this company still exist?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Sprint is pure unadulterated poo poo in MI from my experience.

Tolerable poo poo everywhere else.

I'd have dumped them long ago if not for my SERO plan. But drat when I go visit my family in MI my phone is just loving useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I guess I'm lucky, I always have signal in Oakland County in Michigan, and super fast LTE.