Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
A dude I know has been working on an audio spreadsheet software. It’s pretty fun actually and I could see it being rather nice for generative things.

https://youtu.be/B1m11W31qr4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

j.peeba posted:

A dude I know has been working on an audio spreadsheet software. It’s pretty fun actually and I could see it being rather nice for generative things.

This is crazytown stuff

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

What do you guys like to use for midi thru boxes? I'd like to connect 3-4 synths/sequencers/drum machines together into a midi-capable mixer interface, one synth, a modex is a pretty complete controller but I'm keen to use a maschine mk3 to do more conventional sequencing and use it or the modex to drive a bass station 2's arpeggiator.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I just have everything daisy-chained right now lol. I use the UM-one for all my pc-midi interface stuff

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I got an emagic amt8 for real cheap off of eBay. It's a full-blown MIDI interface, but driver support dropped over a decade ago so I'm just using it in dumb mode as a MIDI hub and would definitely recommend it for that purpose.

It would be nice to get it working as a proper interface, it was apparently renowned for its "atari-tight" timing back in the day.

e: holy hell they're going for $150 and up these days, don't think I paid more than $50 back in the day, and went for it because that was the affordable option.

snorch fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 19, 2021

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

A really cheap option is the Meeblip MIDI Thru. Does a 1 in 5 out split, for $20. Its a small DIY project (you have to solder on the MIDI sockets), took me literally 5 minutes to do. https://meeblip.com/products/meeblip-thru5-midi-splitter-kit

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

ewe2 posted:

What do you guys like to use for midi thru boxes? I'd like to connect 3-4 synths/sequencers/drum machines together into a midi-capable mixer interface, one synth, a modex is a pretty complete controller but I'm keen to use a maschine mk3 to do more conventional sequencing and use it or the modex to drive a bass station 2's arpeggiator.

I have a kenton thru-5, it’s powered which often isn’t necessary but I didn’t want to stress about whether my combination of gear would work with an unpowered splitter and it has worked perfectly so far, would recommend. Keystep pro to splitter to 3 volcas, mother-32, and sirin. If you can’t spare the spot on your power strip unpowered will probably work but there is some equipment that won’t provide enough power to the hub

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Another MPC Live II discovery. I plugged my full-sized Casio weighted key stage piano into it. It doesn't have MIDI out really. It has USB, and I can run it into my PC and it can see it. I bought it to learn classical piano in my spare time because I loved the feel of the keybed and I can play "ok" for being a total nub. But it needs a USB MIDI Host to function as a controller. I plugged it into the MPC and it saw it immediately and I can use the entire range plus wheel. Akai really did throw the kitchen sink into these latest MPCs.

I'm fairly smitten with this MPC Live II. It has it's quirks for sure, but holy hell it does literally everything.

Still haven't "made" much with it as of yet, I've done a lot of NDLR stuff with beats and putting together some House style stuff with realative ease. But nothing finished. Am I having fun? You bet!

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 19, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's my experience with the MPC One. I haven't actually made anything because I'm constantly resetting after learning something new or experimenting with a new sound.

Ultimately I don't care if I ever get to the point where I make anything because I'm having a lot of fun.

By far my favourite feature right now is pad perform mode. I love being able to visually see which notes will sound good together. It's amazing for just coming up with some quick melodies. For someone who has no classical music background and is probably way too scatterbrained to sit down and learn, as has been my experience, it's opening up a whole world of making stuff sound good.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

j.peeba posted:

neat, its like ORCA for excel fanatics instead of command line weirdos

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Philthy posted:

Another MPC Live II discovery. I plugged my full-sized Casio weighted key stage piano into it. It doesn't have MIDI out really. It has USB, and I can run it into my PC and it can see it. I bought it to learn classical piano in my spare time because I loved the feel of the keybed and I can play "ok" for being a total nub. But it needs a USB MIDI Host to function as a controller. I plugged it into the MPC and it saw it immediately and I can use the entire range plus wheel. Akai really did throw the kitchen sink into these latest MPCs.

I'm fairly smitten with this MPC Live II. It has it's quirks for sure, but holy hell it does literally everything.

Still haven't "made" much with it as of yet, I've done a lot of NDLR stuff with beats and putting together some House style stuff with realative ease. But nothing finished. Am I having fun? You bet!

agreed, there’s so much to learn, and it’s such a powerful machine. i’ve mostly been loving around, and i love it.

you can plug a dr-05 in there for bus power, record something, then restart it and access the storage from within the live 2! amazing.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mr. Sharps posted:

neat, its like ORCA for excel fanatics instead of command line weirdos

I have friends into live coding and they say that TidalCycles is better to use. I have no experience with either though so ymmv.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

That looks cool but it's like twice what I paid for my actual Reface DX lol

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Pretty sure I originally saw this thing here. Pre-orders just went live, so excited to finally get my hands on one of these things

http://www.ondemagnetique.com

e: sold out, more going up at 9 CT

Eat My Ghastly Ass fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 19, 2021

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

Pretty sure I originally saw this thing here. Pre-orders just went live, so excited to finally get my hands on one of these things

http://www.ondemagnetique.comt

You linked to your receipt in your original post. Might want to remove that.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

that's really cool, its like a baby mellotron

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

http://www.ondemagnetique.com

e: sold out, more going up at 9 CT

I got one, too, and now my friend is ragging on me asking if I am going to make a sequel to "Jingle Bark"

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The Ondes Martenot style expression controller is what takes it from gimmick to instrument for me. Put it on the GAS pile.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

it's been a month since i posted, but i finally got my friend's minilab mk1! after using it for awhile, it's pretty good for it's age, in my opinion. the knobs are a bit finicky and they feel a bit gritty on some rotations (maybe some dust inside them) but they work just fine for me. i feel the pads are either too sensitive, or not sensitive enough. this is the first thing i've owned with them so who knows. can hammer out a little thing in ableton just fine after setting up a profile that undoes all the default recording/clip things from them

i give it a solid "way better than that early 90s radioshack midi keyboard i had years ago"

i *think* it came with a thing for analog lab but i have no clue if it's registered or not and :effort: synth1 and dexed are fine by me, for now

EDIT: actually i had an akai minimpk after that. still cooler than that thing, even if it was fine. also i feel like the velocity curve is too high. feel like i really have to bang the keys for full force

Dr. Chainsaws PhD fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 20, 2021

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

net work error posted:

I have friends into live coding and they say that TidalCycles is better to use. I have no experience with either though so ymmv.

ORCA is very limited in what it can do, its pretty much sequencer legos dressed up to look like a command line interface, not anything like a real programming language. im a big believer in the interface informing outcome though, and i find it to be a lot more fun and inspiring to work with than other more traditionally programmy music making toys

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

snorch posted:

I got an emagic amt8 for real cheap off of eBay. It's a full-blown MIDI interface, but driver support dropped over a decade ago so I'm just using it in dumb mode as a MIDI hub and would definitely recommend it for that purpose.

e: holy hell they're going for $150 and up these days, don't think I paid more than $50 back in the day, and went for it because that was the affordable option.

toadee posted:

A really cheap option is the Meeblip MIDI Thru. Does a 1 in 5 out split, for $20. Its a small DIY project (you have to solder on the MIDI sockets), took me literally 5 minutes to do. https://meeblip.com/products/meeblip-thru5-midi-splitter-kit

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I have a kenton thru-5, it’s powered which often isn’t necessary but I didn’t want to stress about whether my combination of gear would work with an unpowered splitter and it has worked perfectly so far, would recommend. Keystep pro to splitter to 3 volcas, mother-32, and sirin. If you can’t spare the spot on your power strip unpowered will probably work but there is some equipment that won’t provide enough power to the hub

All great pointers, thanks! I can source the Kenton locally but if I'd had the spare $A200 (incl postage) kicking around I might have gone for the amt8 option, even at that price it's still cheaper than similar offerings at that level.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

oooh holy moly, i just plugged the cv out from the live 2 into the afterneath v3’s exp jack, and started using it in controller mode. this guy surprises me every day

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 21, 2021

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I'm looking for a MIDI keyboard to control my Volca Keys as well as to use with Ableton, anyone got any recommendations?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

keystep for sure, if you want something compact

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

nishi koichi posted:

keystep for sure, if you want something compact

I'm pretty new to synths, is this something that a beginner can utilize? I've had the volca for months and still can barely understand it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I miss my Edirol pcr 300

a pale ghost posted:

I'm pretty new to synths, is this something that a beginner can utilize? I've had the volca for months and still can barely understand it.

Yeah you plug midi out to midi in on the volca and play it like a keyboard

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

I miss my Edirol pcr 300

Yeah you plug midi out to midi in on the volca and play it like a keyboard

And I can also plug it into my computer?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

a pale ghost posted:

And I can also plug it into my computer?

Yes, it does MIDI over usb as well and can control software instruments. It doesn’t have a bunch of DAW integration like some more complex controllers does but you can sync the tempo if you’re using its internal sequencer. be away it has mini keys so if you’re wanting to play chords or more complex stuff it may be limiting, but there also aren’t a lot of small full-size key controllers that do both usb and 5-pin MIDI so if you don’t mind the mini keys it’s the simplest option for what you want

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Midi is note data basically. It transmits information like what key you’re playing, how hard and for how long. There are limitations to it but it’s been a standard for like 40 years. Midi cables are special connectors that carry this info for you. The key step has midi ports and usb ports which mimic midi ports to your computer or other usb midi compliant devices like the mpc

Btw I’ve been jamming on the tascam 12 sooo much since I got it. I have a bunch of songs in the works on it and not just record once live and that’s it. So it’s like I always have a song queued up that I can press play, it sends clock data to my instruments, I can select live mode or recorded take per track and everything is in sync with the recorded material. So I have drum tracks I’m happy with and the song structure is built into that and I can try different melodys or chord progressions on top of that with the live instruments

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 20, 2021

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Keystep is nice that it has all the relevant ports for whatever direction you might end up going. MIDI DIN, MIDI USB, CV/Gate out. Many of the smaller keyboards just do MIDI USB and kinda screw you on using it with other devices. They're more meant for your Computer, while the Keystep will play with everything. It's pretty much the go-to small keyboard because no one else has tried stepping into the market to compete with it yet.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 21, 2021

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Philthy posted:

Keystep is nice that it has all the relevant ports for whatever direction you might end up going. MIDI DIN, MIDI USB, CV/Gate out. Many of the smaller keyboards just do MIDI USB and kinda screw you on using it with other devices. They're more meant for your Computer, while the Keystep will play with everything. It's pretty much the go-to small keyboard because no one else has tried stepping into the market to compete with it yet.

well except behringer with their most blatant gently caress-you-we’ll-make-the-same-thing-cheaper device yet lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Shout out to the Yamaha pss a50, usb power, midi usb, good keybed, sequencer drums and rompler sounds. Also works on batteries and has a speaker $90

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

well except behringer with their most blatant gently caress-you-we’ll-make-the-same-thing-cheaper device yet lol

Did that actually come out? I remember reading about it a long while back but never saw anything.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I finally did it and ordered a Digitakt, I’m so excited. I posted itt about borrowing my friends for a couple of months and how easy it was to get used to it after having experience with the Model: Samples and Machinedrum. I’m mainly an in the box, kind of person so all the hardware I use is basically quickly recorded into Ableton or bounced out of Ableton through some effect and back in. But the Digitakt is the closest that a piece of hardware has come to making me feel like I can get ideas out quickly and as efficiently as I can in Ableton, plus I can then take that snd then polish it in Ableton.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a sort of Tascam style tape recorder, or anything that’s capable of making things sound this ‘wow and fluttery’ and clicky: https://youtu.be/73RoB5QfoiQ

I realize this is the tape loop and effect chain for the most part, but it’s also just a nice sounding tape machine. Unfortunately the Tascam Portastudio I got years ago when I didn’t know what I was doing wasn’t the one I wanted (I wanted a pitch/speed knob or some kind of speed adjustment), and it was just cheap and in not great shape. Does anyone have any recommendations for nice tape machines or even dictaphones for less than $200?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

It wasn't even supposed to be that much cheaper, was it? Like $5 or something?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Philthy posted:

Did that actually come out? I remember reading about it a long while back but never saw anything.

they may have backed off on production idk, but yeah it was gonna be like 5-10 bucks cheaper and was the new keystep exactly but in black

I liked that they were making affordable reproductions of unattainable gear but they’ve done a lot of lovely undercutting of brand new stuff lately and also the CEO is a legit rear end in a top hat so I’m personally kinda done. A bummer bc stuff like the model D was really great

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Imhotep posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a sort of Tascam style tape recorder, or anything that’s capable of making things sound this ‘wow and fluttery’ and clicky: https://youtu.be/73RoB5QfoiQ

Pedal is doing all the heavy lifting here. He's only using the Tascam to overdrive the mix into the pedal. The clicking clacking water are all separate samples. There are a few Digitakt packs that have these specifically. What's weird is you can do pitch modulation per sample on the Digitakt itself with an LFO to get that same sort of warble sound. You can also overdrive it per sample as well. The Tascam and pedal really aren't needed.

Also, congrats on ordering one. Digitakts are awesome. Love mine.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 21, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i completely agree with all of what Philthy said but also recording to and from a lovely cassette recorder can sound absolutely incredible

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Philthy posted:

Pedal is doing all the heavy lifting here. He's only using the Tascam to overdrive the mix into the pedal. The clicking clacking water are all separate samples. There are a few Digitakt packs that have these specifically. What's weird is you can do pitch modulation per sample on the Digitakt itself with an LFO to get that same sort of warble sound. You can also overdrive it per sample as well. The Tascam and pedal really aren't needed.

Also, congrats on ordering one. Digitakts are awesome. Love mine.

Oh lame, why would they do that.. and yeah, I put a slow sine wave LFO on the pitch of certain samples set to literally like .01 or .02 depth, which is pushing it, but then I’ve used up the one LFO for that track, which in the Model: Samples case is typically a waste of an LFO, or at least you can’t use it to fake some sort of attack envelope that way. On the Digitakt at least you can adjust the LFO to pitch and then once you’re happy, just resample it and then the the pitch stuff is baked in, allowing you to do whatever else with the LFO and also having Amp and filter envelopes.

This is the kind of extreme wow sound that I like, that I know they got from bouncing things from reel to reel or tape to tape: https://youtu.be/TRJ_uZClz4Y
I don’t mind the saturation, but the wow and flutter is my main goal.

But yeah, as ‘watho’ said, tapes do sound awesome, and I assume the prices went up a bit due to the trend amongst gear Youtubers who use them, but I’m looking at a portastudio 414 rn and it’s not too expensive really. But all the reel to reels are incredibly expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yup, that lofi tape effect is a premium these days because it has a unique sound. I keep telling Behringer to come out with their own tape deck and tapes because it is in demand these days. Who knows, maybe a year from now. The 'Takt is "good" at faking this tho. You can slow it all down, distort, destroy the bitrate (forget the proper name), overdrive, etc all on a single sample and you'll get a nice warrrrblleeeeeddddddclickclickkcrackleeeeeeeewarble looped sample going.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 22, 2021