Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

atomicthumbs posted:

in one of my art school classes i looked around the circle and it went macbook, macbook, macbook, macbook, macbook, macbook, macbook, my thinkpad with a post-it on it announcing that it's "scrap", macbook

yeah but a lot of artists are dumb dumbs that know poo poo about computers, this is where apple marketing still works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

in one of my art school classes i looked around the circle and it went macbook, macbook, macbook, macbook, macbook, macbook, macbook, my thinkpad with a post-it on it announcing that it's "scrap", macbook

art students buy macs/ipads because a) student loans are free money, as far as an idiot teenager understands and b) the pervasive misconception that macs are "just better for education/art." professional artists buy the Microsoft Surface Pro, because professional artists are all extremely poor

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6HVyaZpTgM

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
plz chnge thread title to macbooks, no!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I really want a fully loaded macbook pro but I think I'd have to increase the limit on my mastercard

The Norwegian price for 15" with the fastest cpu, gpu and 1tb of storage is something insane like US $4500

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

r u ready to WALK posted:

I really want a fully loaded macbook pro but I think I'd have to increase the limit on my mastercard

The Norwegian price for 15" with the fastest cpu, gpu and 1tb of storage is something insane like US $4500

I did this it was ~3500 US after my employee purchase program (not apple, an apple partner) the barclay card financing here in the US gets it for you with free money.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I guess Apple is going back to its roots, this thing was $6500 at launch

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
if I could get a Snow White version of the touch at MacBook Pro for $6500 I would

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

One photo of the new MBPs was taken with lighting than made it look like it had been anodized blue and it looked pretty sharp

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

don't put a terabyte of storage in your laptop

i have 256gb and with all my stuff installed and a good load of working files and a linux partition it's still got 60gb free

get a NAS or whatever to dump all your anime rips onto

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Is it even upgradeable down the line though? I've got 250gb in my 2010 mbpro and it's starting to feel a bit cramped

I'm looking forward to the 0/10 ifixit teardown repairability score :v:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Is it even upgradeable down the line though? I've got 250gb in my 2010 mbpro and it's starting to feel a bit cramped

I'm looking forward to the 0/10 ifixit teardown repairability score :v:

lmao

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

i have 256gb and with all my stuff installed and a good load of working files and a linux partition it's still got 60gb free

I fill up my current laptop with 500gb pretty quickly if I go scuba diving with the GoPro for a few days on vacation and start editing it down. after I edit it it goes to external storage but 500gb is not very much if you do a lot of video editing while away from home.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

C.H.O.M.E posted:

I fill up my current laptop with 500gb pretty quickly if I go scuba diving with the GoPro for a few days on vacation and start editing it down. after I edit it it goes to external storage but 500gb is not very much if you do a lot of video editing while away from home.

maybe the whitest thing I've ever heard

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

C.H.O.M.E posted:

we get it, you're the 1%

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

I have no media on my laptop and my work-related data takes about 100 gigs minimum, more like 500 if i haven't cut it down for the laptop.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well who else is buying $4000 laptops, huh?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

we get it, you're the 1%

who did you think Macs are for?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
apple sells a $4k video toaster appliance that people sometimes mistake for a computer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

my onedrive folder, primarily with documents, is 132gb. research data, kept externally for feasibility reasons, starts at 8 mb/s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah but you work in a radio observatory or something, right?

like, if you're trying to pipe the output of the VLA directly into your macbook, you are probably doing it wrong for many reasons beyond just storage space

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I'm actually kind of surprised that the base 2016 MBP manages to be faster than the base 2015 one despite a 15 watt CPU.

base 2015 MBP: https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/...:2700%20bits:64
base 2016 MBP: https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/...A2000+bits%3A64

median on older one: 3500 single core, 6700 multicore
median on the new one: 3700 single core, 7200 multicore

Obviously that doesn't really take into account any thermal throttling, which would hit the new ones way harder since their turbo speed is WAY above the base clock speed, but still.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I guess Apple is going back to its roots, this thing was $6500 at launch

looks great until the bromine seeps out of it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Linguica posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised that the base 2016 MBP manages to be faster than the base 2015 one despite a 15 watt CPU.

base 2015 MBP: https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/...:2700%20bits:64
base 2016 MBP: https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/...A2000+bits%3A64

median on older one: 3500 single core, 6700 multicore
median on the new one: 3700 single core, 7200 multicore

Obviously that doesn't really take into account any thermal throttling, which would hit the new ones way harder since their turbo speed is WAY above the base clock speed, but still.

do the new ones have fans at all? because if not aren't they are going to throttle like crazy?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
timb, when the stock fell

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Shifty Pony posted:

do the new ones have fans at all? because if not aren't they are going to throttle like crazy?
They have fans. But they are base 2.0Ghz turboing to 3.1, whereas the older ones are base 2.7Ghz turboing to 3.1, so it seems like the newer ones would be harder hit if it happens.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shifty Pony posted:

they do. Intake ports on the sides and exhaust by the display hinge.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

yeah but you work in a radio observatory or something, right?

like, if you're trying to pipe the output of the VLA directly into your macbook, you are probably doing it wrong for many reasons beyond just storage space
im just an astronomy student and yeah, nothing goes directly into laptops. either your receiver writes to an exteral (or "external") hdd directly, or you have a proper raid setup and poo poo in dedicated machine to handle that. what im saying is that for a personal, not strictly for-work, laptop, 250 can be too small. say, if i were to strip naythingtainment out of mine, i'd still have some 200gb of space taken up by things.

that doesnt excuse though buying 512 or 1024gb ssds lol, the price/reasons on that isn't there yet for anything portable, or most thing stationary either really. were i buy a desktop id maybe buy a 120gb ssd to keep a heavier game or two on it, but that's about it for me in ssd usability, after living for aeons with 5400rpm spinners. just go take a stretch or something while your modern os is loading for 20 seconds.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Linguica posted:

They have fans. But they are base 2.0Ghz turboing to 3.1, whereas the older ones are base 2.7Ghz turboing to 3.1, so it seems like the newer ones would be harder hit if it happens.

skylake, and iirc everything post nehalem, will throttle based on the actual temp, it can maintain many clock speeds between base and full turbo mode depending on the actual temperature. a lower base rate just means lower idle power use.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/10/29/13466786/google-pixel-photo-better-than-iphone

apple is dead and android has gained the edge in literally every dimension

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

except android is still garbage software for morons so :shrug:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

when was the last time you extensively used android

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

akadajet posted:

the ios 10 phone.app soft locks while receiving calls and when switching to the dial pad multiple times a week on my 5s. apple is now where android was five years ago

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

zen death robot posted:

I don't get the appeal of a $4000 laptop tbh, or any computer that costs that much.
$4k computer is arguable, but subpar laptop with emoji bar? just no

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

call me old fashioned, but i think reliably making and receiving phone calls is probably baseline functionality for a telephone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

call me old fashioned, but i think reliably making and receiving phone calls is probably baseline functionality for a telephone
telephones also fell out of fashion in 2007

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

when was the last time you extensively used android

on a refrigerator door at the best buy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

on a refrigerator door at the best buy
sorry didn't know you were homeless

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

akadajet posted:

it is actually by far the best mobile operating system available today, with a worldwide market share that reflects that fact :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Blue Train posted:

it is actually by far the best mobile operating system available today, with a worldwide market share that reflects that fact :tipshat:

yes if by best you mean cheapest

• Locked thread