Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
We have plenty of good female politicians to try and make president, but for some reason the only ones the establishment are interested in pushing are former lawyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

We have plenty of good female politicians to try and make president, but for some reason the only ones the establishment are interested in pushing are former lawyers.

Nina Turner for president

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Concerned Citizen posted:

well those are called "compulsory education laws." idk what other way you're supposed to get a parent who deliberately refuses to send their kids to school to do so without compelling them. it's obviously very different from someone who has chronic health issues or other circumstances that make it difficult to get their kid to school on time or consistently, there's no reason that should be a criminal case, but in the case of someone who is healthy has the means but refuses to do so, there's clearly serious problems in that household.

does the law distinguish between those two cases, and explicitly spell that out? if not, then there is no distinction at all and you're counting on either selective enforcement or selective sentencing, with no legal guidance to ensure either is used correctly. that is bad

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

etalian posted:

Nina Turner for president

Hell yeah.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

white ppl: aaa
black ppl: kkk

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

what countries don't have criminal penalties assigned to not sending your kids to school? i checked 3 random european countries (finland, germany, uk) and all 3 had something, if not necessarily jail at least fines

Right, visits by social workers, reasonable fines for repeat offenders, maybe mandatory parenting classes or something, and eventually if things are really bad and borderline abusive then CPS might need to be involved. That's normal. Throwing parents in prison, even just as a hypothetical option under the law (we know how cautious prosecutors are in exercising that discretion!) for failing to hit benchmarks makes things worse. It's insane. Also, $2,000 fines are enough to cripple a lot of families. Many single-parent families struggle just to get their kids to school each day and pay rent.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

gather 'round, everybody, as i, concerned citizen, tell you of the hardships that i endured growing up in absolute poverty:

i once had to walk from one end of my private school and back, in dress shoes, on completely level ground in a climate-controlled environment. that couldn't've been more than fifteen-hundred feet, round trip.

but i endured. i endured. and that's why parents should go to jail regardless of their circumstances.

i don't really get your angle. i went to public schools, i took the bus. and i don't think people should go to jail regardless of their circumstances. i don't claim to have grown up in absolute poverty but it certainly wasn't a good situation for a good portion of my time growing up.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bad dems can't wait to lock up even more poor people as a way to "cure" them.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

i don't really get your angle. i went to public schools, i took the bus. and i don't think people should go to jail regardless of their circumstances. i don't claim to have grown up in absolute poverty but it certainly wasn't a good situation for a good portion of my time growing up.

that is a lie

you are a liar

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
man i had more of a negative experience with a social worker than i ever did with a cop

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
anyway obama needs to gently caress off and never come back to endorse any more poisonous political figures

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

do they have poly sci degrees

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

wtf you literally won enormous amounts of money on a game show, you aren't poor

Wait I only thought he bought a gameshow set while drunk?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Office Pig posted:

I kind of like how openly and expressly cynical it is to start pitching harris as 'female obama'

black president but now with added flavor of 'woman' because that makes everything else go away

When you think about it, Bernie Sanders was kind of the Jewish Obama,

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

Right, visits by social workers, reasonable fines for repeat offenders, maybe mandatory parenting classes or something, and eventually if things are really bad and borderline abusive then CPS might need to be involved. That's normal. Throwing parents in prison, even just as a hypothetical option under the law (we know how cautious prosecutors are in exercising that discretion!) for failing to hit benchmarks makes things worse. It's insane. Also, $2,000 fines are enough to cripple a lot of families. Many single-parent families struggle just to get their kids to school each day and pay rent.

right, so my thing on this is that i am legitimately curious as to what non-court procedures are taken in ca prior to criminal liability. i obviously don't think there should be any sort of criminal referral except as an absolute last resort, and i agree that prosecutors are overly inclined to go after "criminals" when better options exist. i just really don't have a problem with like, a hypothetical bundy family member refusing to educate their kid because they're free men facing criminal penalties for something that is going to seriously damage their kid's ability to graduate and succeed in life. anyone who has any sort of good intent shouldn't be dealing with the justice system because that doesn't serve any purpose.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
does "i was doing a bunch of crazy poo poo that was super illegal and the cops showed up and deescalated the situation and tried to help me instead of throwing me in jail" count as a positive experience with the police

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

loquacius posted:

Obama is the Democratic Party Shaq. We'll get Greek Obama for 2020. Baby Obama. Diet Obama. Obama Zero.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

loquacius posted:

oy vey!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

right, so my thing on this is that i am legitimately curious as to what non-court procedures are taken in ca prior to criminal liability. i obviously don't think there should be any sort of criminal referral except as an absolute last resort, and i agree that prosecutors are overly inclined to go after "criminals" when better options exist. i just really don't have a problem with like, a hypothetical bundy family member refusing to educate their kid because they're free men facing criminal penalties for something that is going to seriously damage their kid's ability to graduate from school.

See you're going straight to Bundy but under this law as written, almost 30% of parents of Native American and African American ancestry could be imprisoned. It's mostly poverty and substance abuse, not willful criminal behavior. These people need help, not prison.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nina turner / chelsea manning 2020

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Discontinued. Being replaced with Obama Zero Sugar.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What's not to like about Keith Ellison? He's basically a black Obama

ugh, those mario kart characters were so unnecessary

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

deadgoon posted:

does "i was doing a bunch of crazy poo poo that was super illegal and the cops showed up and deescalated the situation and tried to help me instead of throwing me in jail" count as a positive experience with the police
I bet you ruined that cop's night with your bullshit they had to deal with. :saddowns:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

loquacius posted:

ugh, those mario kart characters were so unnecessary
Drybones forever~!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Crystal Obama

zeal posted:

that is a lie

you are a liar

woah, decorum??? thats just his opinion, man

gently caress i wish the media would actually call out lies

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThndrShk2k posted:

i'm assuming y'all are talking about me (because lol if you think i willingly read cc's posts itt but still people quote him so here we are)

three years ago, i was a contestant on who wants to be a millionaire. i won $63,600 which came in handy as i was already forty grand in the hole with student debt (which wasn't counting the other personal debt that i had to take for getting a car, emergencies, school supplies, etc).

so, yes, that brief moment when i was a member of the middle class was fun. but it's not six-figgy rich, and that was what could very well be a once in a lifetime thing.

but it certainly didn't put me out of touch with how much being poor sucks, nor do i consider myself hurting enough that i'm willing defend some absolutely unconscionable opinions and policy decisions that haven't worked for near thirty years now simply because the people partially responsible for the bullshit in which we now live happens to be the people signing my paychecks.

Gene Hackman Fan has issued a correction as of 02:46 on Aug 2, 2017

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

See you're going straight to Bundy but under this law as written, almost 30% of parents of Native American ancestry could be imprisoned. It's mostly poverty and substance abuse, not willful criminal behavior. These people need help, not prison.

right and i don't think prison is appropriate in those circumstances. again i don't know enough about the law to comment on its particulars, and i think the burden is on the district to provide support for parents when it's a question of means or health. but i really do not have a problem with cps intervening when students don't attend school, i don't think removing kids from custody when the parents are being totally neglectful for whatever reason (substance abuse, serious untreated mental illness, etc) is a bad thing, and in my mind i see the bundy scenario as the one where it's appropriate to attach criminal penalties.

ThndrShk2k posted:

per his thread he was literally on who wants to be a millionaire

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

right and i don't think prison is appropriate in those circumstances.

you've just spent the evening arguing in favor of a law that imposes it, you loving moron

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

zeal posted:

you've just spent the evening arguing in favor of a law that imposes it, you loving moron

that's just what you read into it

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zeal posted:

and yet, despite his presence, the organization that is really bad at messaging misappropriating hard-earned donations in order to pay a dude like him to be bad at delivering a message suddenly makes a lot of sense.

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Should parents be jailed if their kid doesn't do homework too?

jail all parents imho
gently caress you dad

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

earth is a penal colony

we are all prisoners

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/892492673818480640

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

UHD posted:

earth is a penal colony

we are all prisoners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb69TMISL_Y&t=6s

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

right and i don't think prison is appropriate in those circumstances. again i don't know enough about the law to comment on its particulars, and i think the burden is on the district to provide support for parents when it's a question of means or health. but i really do not have a problem with cps intervening when students don't attend school, i don't think removing kids from custody when the parents are being totally neglectful for whatever reason (substance abuse, serious untreated mental illness, etc) is a bad thing, and in my mind i see the bundy scenario as the one where it's appropriate to attach criminal penalties.

per his thread he was literally on who wants to be a millionaire

I mean I've basically only read few articles, but my impression is that CA has traditionally operated under the sort of relatively reasonable system that you describe, while certain other states such as Florida have frequently handed out more heavy-handed criminal punishments.

Anyway it looks like truancy rates in CA have remained flat or ticked up just slightly since the draconian rules were adopted in 2011, it's almost as though nothing has been accomplished.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

what countries don't have criminal penalties assigned to not sending your kids to school? i checked 3 random european countries (finland, germany, uk) and all 3 had something, if not necessarily jail at least fines

all three of those countries have strong social-safety nets. In the u.s. chronic absenteeism correlates with poverty level, and we do not have a strong social-safety net.

"let's jail & fine 'em" is the wrong answer on how to resolve the problem of chronic absenteeism in this country.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

UHD posted:

earth is a penal colony

we are all prisoners

lol good luck fuckers i'm still a free citizen on Moon Colony Newt, maybe you should stop doing crimes???

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

logikv9 posted:

lol good luck fuckers i'm still a free citizen on Moon Colony Newt, maybe you should stop doing crimes???

really, if it takes shoplifting from walmart in order for the government to pay for your birth control here in tennessee, i woulda thought you'd have to commit war crimes in order for your rear end to be gotten to ma-- oh. wait. never mind it just clicked.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

logikv9 posted:

how are the moon zoos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

good vid

• Locked thread