Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Pakled posted:

Another tweet pointed out this beside the fact that the current draft of the bill eliminates a tax break for teachers buying school supplies for their students.

They eliminate a measly $250.00 tax credit for teachers for this poo poo.

My wife is a teacher and I have been doing our taxes for the last 20 years. The least she has ever spent on her students in a year is $1250.00 and that was because she was on sabbatical for half of the year.

Eat the loving rich! :rant:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I dunno that more women would come forward in Franken’s case. It seems like the usual flow of these is that the man denies the claims and calls the woman a liar so other women come forward to back up the original accuser. Unless he turns out to be a serial abuser rather than an apologetic gently caress up, there’s less of a record to set straight here. There may be other incidents we’ll never hear about now that we would have if he denied it. I didn’t follow Louis CK and Spacey after the initial accusation and apology though, so I’m not sure how those panned out in terms of people coming forward, but they apparently did their poo poo repeatedly.

Honestly, I see where it makes sense to have Franken resign, though with how mild this is compared to Moore’s poo poo (and the accepted apology), it wouldn’t surprise me if right wing news took a resignation as an invitation to wildly speculate on there being something far worst in order to keep the false equivalency going. They’ve shown they’re not going to willingly cede the moral high ground no matter how bad poo poo gets if they’re still harping on motherfucking Bill and Hillary Clinton and refer to the Trump pussygrabbing access Hollywood tape as “The Billy Bush Tape”. The average person who doesn’t pay much attention to the news but hears a name they recognize was outted for sexual harassment of some kind would probably be there too, depending how detailed the late night comedy circuit gets on it, which probably wouldn’t be much since how do you even joke about that poo poo.

Just not sure it actually benefits the Democrats beyond being a purity test. I wouldn’t think Franken would go for re-election either way since that picture’s getting plastered everywhere if he did, so maybe resignation gives the next senator incumbent advantage. If this flips you from Democrat to Republican in the face of Trump and Moore, then you were really a Republican already.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
this thread:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gort posted:

You know if he steps down he gets replaced by a Democrat, right? There is no downside to him resigning.

That's not necessarily true; Democrats aren't perfectly fungible. We could end up with Manchin II depending on who the governor appoints.

Retro42 posted:

Let me preface everything I'm about to say with a statement that I'm not ignoring the harassment or anything like that. Simply building my post around the political arguement.

Aren't everyone in this thread screaming for Franken's head playing just as much politics as the next guy? He apologized and she accepted it. AND he asked for an ethics probe. If Roy Moore/etc weren't in the news that probably would have been the end of it. Well, his next election not withstanding. The prevailing argument I see for him resigning is a presumed Dem zero-tolerance policy and the fact he will just get replaced with a Dem anyways. Would you all be still screaming for his head if it was a GOP state and his seat would go red?

I'm fairly certain even bringing it up is going to draw some fire my way for "defending the offender" but if the Democrats are going to take the moral high ground they better make drat sure Franken is the worst offender in the House/Senate (Highly, HIGHLY doubtful) before they start screaming "PURGE!".

I'll take this a step farther.

After South Africa ended apartheid, part of that was having the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
Everyone who committed crimes under apartheid had to fess up -- but in return, a lot of them got forgiveness.

I don't think it's overblown to compare the scale of the two problems. Society needs to change and it needs to change now. But for the same reasons South Africa had the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, at some point it would probably be a good idea to allow some space for forgiveness and pardon, too. Franken gave a detailed and, as far as anyone can tell, sincere apology, asked for an investigation of himself, and the victim has accepted his apology. That . . . seems like it might be a good place to start.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 17, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

BootStrap posted:

My wife is a teacher and I have been doing our taxes for the last 20 years. The least she has ever spent on her students in a year is $1250.00 and that was because she was on sabbatical for half of the year.

My wife is also a teacher and we're gonna get hosed by this too.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Just for fun, I decided to run some numbers - currently, there are 12 male Democratic senators in States with Republican governors, and 7 male Republican senators in States with Democratic governors. If you include senators of both genders, the gap is 21-7 for the GOP.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Gort posted:

You know if he steps down he gets replaced by a Democrat, right? There is no downside to him resigning.

On the upside if he steps down. The Democrat that replaces him will have time to establish. As opposed to Franken going to the next election with this over his head.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

Dejawesp posted:

On the upside if he steps down. The Democrat that replaces him will have time to establish. As opposed to Franken going to the next election with this over his head.

I thought I saw an interview with him where he said this was his last term, so that point might be moot. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Day 2, and Al Franken should still resign.

Admiral Bosch posted:

this thread:

“I’m going to use my cynicism as an excuse to not get involved in politics!”

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Democrazy posted:

Day 2, and Al Franken should still resign.

“I’m going to use my cynicism as an excuse to not get involved in politics!”

Politics made me cynical :saddowns:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

lol, Orrin Hatch

"I've been here 30 years working for people who don't have a chance..."

FUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOU Senior Soundbyte.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

...So how many years until we get Taiwanese Parliament style fist fights in the Senate?

My money is on...Uh...1.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

BootStrap posted:

It's an above-the-line deduction, not a tax credit. So for most teachers, that translates into either $37.50 or $62.50 of actual money, depending on if their last dollar of taxable income is in the 15% or 25% tax bracket.

More than $250 of educator expenses can be deducted, but that requires itemizing deductions instead of taking the standard deduction, which I'm guessing most teachers don't do unless they are married to someone with significantly higher income.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

AceOfFlames posted:

...So how many years until we get Taiwanese Parliament style fist fights in the Senate?

My money is on...Uh...1.

Fistfights in the senate are very American. It's traditional. Just because it hasn't happened in a while doesn't mean it won't happen again.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AceOfFlames posted:

My money is on...Uh...1.

This has historical precedent in the US. If anything it'd be a return to form.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's not necessarily true; Democrats aren't perfectly fungible. We could end up with Manchin II depending on who the governor appoints.

OK, but replacing a senator who is confirmed to have a sexual assault scandal with one who is not ought to be a win.

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 17, 2017

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

My money is on...Uh...1.

But will it be before or after Moore pulls a gun on someone.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

My money is on...Uh...1.

-161 years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_of_Charles_Sumner

quote:

The Caning of Charles Sumner, or the Brooks–Sumner Affair, occurred on May 22, 1856, in the United States Senate when Representative Preston Brooks (D-SC) attacked Senator Charles Sumner (R-MA), an abolitionist, with a walking cane in retaliation for a speech given by Sumner two days earlier in which he fiercely criticized slaveholders including a relative of Brooks. The beating nearly killed Sumner

quote:

On the afternoon of May 22, Brooks entered the Senate chamber with Keitt and another ally, Congressman Henry A. Edmundson. They waited for the galleries to clear, especially concerned that there be no ladies present to witness what Brooks intended to do. He confronted Sumner as he sat writing at his desk in the almost empty Senate chamber. "Mr. Sumner, I have read your speech twice over carefully. It is a libel on South Carolina, and Mr. Butler, who is a relative of mine," Brooks calmly announced in a low voice. As Sumner began to stand up, Brooks beat Sumner severely on the head before he could reach his feet, using a thick gutta-percha cane with a gold head. The force of the blows so shocked Sumner that he lost his sight immediately. "I no longer saw my assailant, nor any other person or object in the room. What I did afterwards was done almost unconsciously, acting under the instincts of self-defense," he recalled later.

Sumner was knocked down and trapped under the heavy desk, which was bolted to the floor. His chair, which was pulled up to his desk, moved back and forth on a track; Sumner either could not or did not think to slide his chair back to escape, so it pinned him under his desk. Brooks continued to strike Sumner until Sumner rose to his feet and ripped the desk from the floor in an effort to get away from Brooks. By this time, Sumner was blinded by his own blood. He staggered up the aisle and, arms outstretched, vainly attempted to defend himself. But then he was an even larger and easier target for Brooks, who continued to beat him across the head, face, and shoulders "to the full extent of [my] power." Brooks didn't stop when his cane snapped; he continued thrashing Sumner with the piece which held the gold head. Sumner stumbled and reeled convulsively, "Oh Lord," he gasped "Oh! Oh!" Near the end of the attack, Sumner collapsed unconscious, although shortly before he succumbed he "bellowed like a calf" according to Brooks. Brooks grabbed the falling Sumner, held him up by the lapel with one hand, and continued to lash out at him with the cane in the other. Several other Senators and Representatives attempted to help Sumner, but were blocked by Edmundson, who yelled at the spectators to leave Brooks and Sumner alone, and Keitt, who brandished his own cane and a pistol, and shouted, "Let them be!" and "Let them alone, God drat you, let them alone!"

Senator John J. Crittenden attempted to intervene, and pleaded with Brooks not to kill Sumner. Senator Robert Toombs then interceded for Crittenden, telling Keitt not to attack someone who was not a party to the dispute, though Toombs also indicated later that he had no issue with Brooks beating Sumner, and in fact approved of it.

Representatives Ambrose S. Murray and Edwin B. Morgan were finally able to intervene and restrain Brooks, at which point he quietly left the chamber. Murray obtained the aid of a Senate page and the Sergeant at Arms, Dunning R. McNair. As Sumner regained consciousness they were able to assist him to walk to a cloakroom. Sumner received medical attention, including several stitches. With the aid of Nathaniel P. Banks, the Speaker of the House, and Senator Henry Wilson, Sumner was able to travel by carriage to his lodgings, where he received further medical treatment.

axeil fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 17, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That wasn't really a fist fight. The dude got ambushed and beaten while the attacker's friends blocked him from running.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Inferior Third Season posted:

It's an above-the-line deduction, not a tax credit. So for most teachers, that translates into either $37.50 or $62.50 of actual money, depending on if their last dollar of taxable income is in the 15% or 25% tax bracket.

More than $250 of educator expenses can be deducted, but that requires itemizing deductions instead of taking the standard deduction, which I'm guessing most teachers don't do unless they are married to someone with significantly higher income.

Are you sure? I am almost positive that the maximum deduction is $250.00, we have always itemized because we have no kids and have fairly numerous charitable deductions and the most I have ever see is $250.00.

The IRS posted:

If you're an eligible educator, you can deduct up to $250 ($500 if married filing jointly and both spouses are eligible educators, but not more than $250 each) of unreimbursed trade or business expenses. Qualified expenses are amounts you paid or incurred for participation in professional development courses, books, supplies, computer equipment (including related software and services), other equipment, and supplementary materials that you use in the classroom. For courses in health or physical education, the expenses for supplies must be for athletic supplies. This deduction is for expenses paid or incurred during the tax year. You claim the deduction on line 23 of Form 1040 (PDF) or line 16 of Form 1040A (PDF).

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Radish posted:

That wasn't really a fist fight. The dude got ambushed and beaten while the attacker's friends blocked him from running.

True, but I can see current Southern GOP Senators seeing Brooks as a hero despite being an attempted murderer.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Radish posted:

Also: why the gently caress didn't all those involved go straight to loving prison or the gallows?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

AceOfFlames posted:

My money is on...Uh...1.

In the future the "nuclear option" will be a lot more literal

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Donny touched the poop. He always touches the poop.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PT6A posted:

Also: why the gently caress didn't all those involved go straight to loving prison or the gallows?

There almost was a duel over it but Brooks backed out because he's a coward. Then he challenged someone else to a duel. He was a regular Sean Hannity.

Oh and the South was full of victim-blamers back then too. And he did get expelled from the House and then re-elected.

quote:

Representative Anson Burlingame publicly humiliated Brooks by goading him into challenging Burlingame to a duel, only to set conditions designed to intimidate Brooks into backing down. (As the challenged party, Burlingame, who was a crack shot, had the choice of weapons and dueling ground. He selected rifles on the Canada side of Niagara Falls, where U.S. anti-dueling laws would not apply. Brooks withdrew his challenge, claiming that he did not want to expose himself to the risk of violence by traveling through northern states to get to Niagara Falls.)

Brooks also threatened Senator Henry Wilson, Sumner's colleague from Massachusetts. Wilson called the beating by Brooks "brutal, murderous, and cowardly," and in response Brooks challenged Wilson to a duel. Wilson declined, saying that he could not legally or by personal conviction participate, and calling dueling "the lingering relic of a barbarous civilization." In reference to a rumor that Brooks might attack him in the Senate, Wilson told the press "I have sought no controversy, and I seek none, but I shall go where duty requires, uninfluenced by threats of any kind." Wilson continued to perform his Senate duties, and Brooks did not make good on his threat.

Southerners mocked Sumner, claiming he was faking his injuries. They argued that the cane Brooks used was not heavy enough to inflict severe injuries. They also claimed that Brooks had not hit Sumner more than a few times, and had not hit him hard enough to cause serious health concerns. In fact, Sumner suffered head trauma that caused him chronic, debilitating pain for the rest of his life and symptoms consistent with what is now called traumatic brain injury and post-traumatic stress disorder; he spent three years convalescing before returning to his Senate seat.

Brooks claimed that he had not intended to kill Sumner, or else he would have used a different weapon. In a speech to the House defending his actions, Brooks stated that he "meant no disrespect to the Senate of the United States" or the House by his attack on Sumner. He was tried in a District of Columbia court, convicted for assault, and fined $300 ($8,000 in today's dollars), but received no prison sentence. A motion to expel Brooks from the House failed, but he resigned on July 15 in order to permit his constituents to ratify or condemn his conduct via a special election. They approved; Brooks was quickly returned to office after the August 1 vote, and then re-elected to a new term of office later in 1856, but he died of croup before the new term began.

Keitt, who facilitated Brooks' attack, was censured by the House. He resigned in protest, but his constituents ratified his conduct by overwhelmingly reelecting him to his seat within a month. In 1858, he attempted to choke Representative Galusha Grow of Pennsylvania (Republican) for calling him a "negro driver" during an argument on the House floor.

An effort to censure Edmundson failed to obtain a majority of votes in the House.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Most gop senators would break a hip if they stood up too fast.

Rand paul has already shown he has a glass everything.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
If we manage to survive this, the Drunk History segments about this time period are going to be insane

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Is a man not entitled to the glass of his jaw

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Crow Jane posted:

If we manage to survive this, the Drunk History segments about this time period are going to be insane

We shouldn't have to wait. Drunk News is the spinoff we deserve.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

PT6A posted:

Our Great Great Grandparents : "Nothing Matters"

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

hiddenmovement posted:

Our Great Great Grandparents : "Nothing Matters"

Yep. When people talk about how polarized things are today and how it's never happened before, you just need to look back at the 1850s and see how bad poo poo got.

And the 1850s had one of the worst presidents of all time who did nothing to keep things from spiraling out of control just like today! (although, I'd argue nothing could've been done because white Southerners were a bunch of insane pieces of poo poo).

Civil War 2 is gonna happen in our lifetimes if things don't improve.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

We shouldn't have to wait. Drunk News is the spinoff we deserve.

Will there still be awesome low-budget reenactments?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!

axeil posted:

True, but I can see current Southern GOP Senators seeing Brooks as a hero despite being an attempted murderer.

Dana Loesch: Democrats have been violently attacking Republicans for centuries. It must be stopped with GUNS.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Crow Jane posted:

The dollop is releasing a history of trump episode in the style of their other history segments and that seems amazing.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Crow Jane posted:

Will there still be awesome low-budget reenactments?

Ken Burns Presents: The Piss Tape, an 11 part documentary series.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Slugworth posted:

Even if arrested for an outstanding warrant, surely all this bullshit with the sheriff on Twitter would.... I dunno, invalidate the arrest? I don't law very well.

General rule of thumb is that if you have a warrant out for your arrest you generally should avoid calling attention to yourself

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The dollop is releasing a history of trump episode in the style of their other history segments and that seems amazing.

Its already out :eng101:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Via WaPo

quote:

The text messages that threatened Usry [who was quoted in the Roy Moore Mallrats story] with a defamation lawsuit came from a phone number that was created on Tuesday, used to send seven texts, and was then shut down Wednesday after inquiries from a Post reporter, according to Bandwidth.com, a North Carolina company that generates temporary phone numbers for apps such as Burner.

David Morken, Bandwidth’s chief executive who served on President Trump’s transition team for the Federal Communications Commission, said he was unaware of the texts. He said the number the texts were sent from appeared to be one of his company’s 52 million phone numbers. After The Post provided Bandwidth with the number used in the Alabama case, Morken said his company determined that the texts were unwanted and harassing, and shut down the phone number.

He said Bandwidth’s privacy policy prevented him from identifying who had set up the account.

:thunk:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Wow, Bandwidth's customer service is incredibly responsive to take down a number like that in a single day. They should get an award.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

axeil posted:

Ken Burns Presents: The Piss Tape, an 11 part documentary series.

Wonder what kind of swag they'd give out for that during pledge drives

• Locked thread