Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Oh, yeah that makes a ton more sense than a flat fee. I feel kind of dumb for asking that. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How was the wavy flashback visual effect done back in the day? Was thinking of animation, where I'm imagining some wavy lens moving across the camera or somesuch, but I'd imagine there are more practical ways of pulling it off.

If anyone has any resources that explain other old optical effects I'd be into that too.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Two questions. First, who is this actor in Carlito's Way on the left that looks like James Gandolfini?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am5_wV1aYz0&t=40s

Also, recently I noticed that Finley from Oz the Great and Powerful reminded me slightly of Rio in Solo: A Star Wars Story. Likewise, the Tharks from John Carter and Thanos army in some of those Avengers films. All of these are Disney films so I'm wondering if they used the same base/composite/models during the CGI process. Not sure about the terminology.

Also, is there any kind of repository online that tracks that kind of thing?

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Zogo posted:

Two questions. First, who is this actor in Carlito's Way on the left that looks like James Gandolfini?

You're actually very much onto something here, because it's Frank Ferrara, who would go on to be Gandolfini's stunt double in The Sopranos.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

That's interesting. 140 stunt credits and 38 acting credits makes for a pretty long resume.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Did Orson Welles actually meet all these people or is he just good at spinning yarn?

I mean, it doesn't really matter, but he's an amazing story teller one way or another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_PUUHLknDI

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

SimonCat posted:

Did Orson Welles actually meet all these people or is he just good at spinning yarn?

I mean, it doesn't really matter, but he's an amazing story teller one way or another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_PUUHLknDI

You're right in that it's kind of moot, so I'm gonna say "yes"

He had a good show in the fifties about yarns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEbZ_0XC-zY

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was Orson Welles respected in his old age or was he seen as a bitter old man? Honest question

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
He shilled for lovely wine and did TV mystery shows. I think I remember one where they tried to prove the soul had weight. There may have been a Nostradamus special too.

So yeah, what feedmyleg said.

Speaking of questionable career choices in the 1970's, I just discovered all of Leonard Nimoy's In Search Of episodes on YouTube. Gonna learn me some Big Foot.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 1, 2019

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

Was Orson Welles respected in his old age or was he seen as a bitter old man? Honest question

Not by Hollywood, but even in the 70s he was revered by students.

There’s a tape of him giving a speech at an anti-nuke rally in the early 80s and it’s pretty clear. He also dunks on Regan only stopping short of calling him an idiot.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He seemed like a pretty cool dude...I should read more about him. Any good books about him or anything?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Unfortunately my first exposure to Welles was in The Critic so that kinda colored my perception of the guy until I got more serious about checking out his films years later.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Krispy Wafer posted:

He shilled for lovely wine and did TV mystery shows. I think I remember one where they tried to prove the soul had weight. There may have been a Nostradamus special too.

So yeah, what feedmyleg said.

Speaking of questionable career choices in the 1970's, I just discovered all of Leonard Nimoy's In Search Of episodes on YouTube. Gonna learn me some Big Foot.

He was pretty desperate for work and money during that period. He was living for free in Peter Bogdanovich's house and went through intermittent bouts of extreme depression that fueled his binge eating. But he was always hustling, trying to raise money to finish his various film projects that no one would fund. Even when he was getting lifetime achievement awards it never translated into financial support.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

He seemed like a pretty cool dude...I should read more about him. Any good books about him or anything?

I've had a copy of "My Lunches With Orson" on the shelf for like a year. Probably should actually read it.

His life might have been the most batshit insane one I've ever read about.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Basebf555 posted:

Unfortunately my first exposure to Welles was in The Critic so that kinda colored my perception of the guy until I got more serious about checking out his films years later.

He was 27 when he made Citizen Kane.

AlternateAccount posted:

I've had a copy of "My Lunches With Orson" on the shelf for like a year. Probably should actually read it.

His life might have been the most batshit insane one I've ever read about.

You should absolutely read it, it's an amazing book. One of the funniest things I've read.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've only read excerpts but I always got the feeling he had some contempt for the dude having dinner with him and only did it because hey free food and a chance to call everyone else in the industry an rear end in a top hat.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've only read excerpts but I always got the feeling he had some contempt for the dude having dinner with him and only did it because hey free food and a chance to call everyone else in the industry an rear end in a top hat.

He absolutely had palpable, seething contempt for Henry Jaglom. He saw him as nothing more than a loser and a hanger-on. And all through every lunch, Jaglom has no clue whatsoever that Welles is loving with him every step of the way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've only read excerpts but I always got the feeling he had some contempt for the dude having dinner with him almost everyone who ever lived and only did it because hey free food and a chance to call everyone else in the industry an rear end in a top hat.

I read the whole thing and it this. He's also someone in their 70s reflecting on a life that peaked before they were 30. Anyone would be a bit bitter. People are talking about how you're a genius film maker but no one will give you money to make a film.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

You should absolutely read it, it's an amazing book. One of the funniest things I've read.

I'm never going to finish reading all these drat books.

If anyone is curious, it's $4 on Kindle.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Part of what makes My Lunches With Orson such an interesting read is that he apparently had no idea Jaglom was recording him, which means he's almost never self-censoring.

I'd recommend the book he did with Peter Bogdanovich too, because it's as close as he got to writing an autobiography.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

For other filmmakers being candid reads I highly recommend Hitchcock/Truffaut

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My Lunches with Orson is worth it just for Welles making GBS threads on Woody Allen and Charles Chaplin.

While not exactly books, with the B&N sale going on, I'd absolutely check out every Criterion edition of Welles films because they're full of great interviews. Especially anything with Joseph McBride. I just rewatched The Magnificent Ambersons and the quality of the supplemental content is staggering.

Skwirl posted:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Egbert Souse posted:

My Lunches with Orson is worth it just for Welles making GBS threads on Woody Allen

Yeah he got 'im, timid narcissist is such a good description of a certain type of guy

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Oh poo poo Charlie Chaplain disease? LOL dude’s first and second wives were both 16-year olds, and had a rumored relationship with the second one from the time she was 12.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Peccadillo posted:

Yeah he got 'im, timid narcissist is such a good description of a certain type of guy

Having met Allen, albeit briefly, this absolutely nails it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's pretty ironic to see Orson Welles of all people call out someone else for being arrogant.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's pretty ironic to see Orson Welles of all people call out someone else for being arrogant.

I think he's calling him out for being arrogant in the wrong way.

If Welles had a problem with arrogant people, he was in the wrong business. He dislikes Woody Allen's method of self effacing passive aggressive ego. Also probably the fact Woody Allen was getting money to make movies. So really, at that point Orson probably hated any young auteur.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Samuel Clemens posted:

I call people arrogant all the time! :smug:

But this. When I met Allen I didn’t buy his self-effacing shtick one iota.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think he's calling him out for being arrogant in the wrong way.

If Welles had a problem with arrogant people, he was in the wrong business. He dislikes Woody Allen's method of self effacing passive aggressive ego. Also probably the fact Woody Allen was getting money to make movies. So really, at that point Orson probably hated any young auteur.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
To be fair, it's not like Welles ever said that he himself wasn't arrogant.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

gently caress, now I'm even more depressed.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

gently caress, now I'm even more depressed.

When Welles was the age I am now (34), he had already made Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons, The Stranger, The Lady from Shanghai, Macbeth, and was filming Othello.

Don’t be too depressed though, since Luis Bunuel made The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie when he was 72.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How did Welles get the funding to do these things, did he have famous / rich family?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How did Welles get the funding to do these things, did he have famous / rich family?

He had put on several successful broadway plays before he got into film making, people with money thought he was a good investment.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Welles was a radio prodigy.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

His only self-funded projects were Othello, The Other Side of the Wind, and F for Fake (plus the unfinished Don Quixote, Moby Dick Rehearsed, The Deep, and The Merchant of Venice, etc) The last two ended up in other hands due to various reasons (Iranian money). While Wind was obviously part of a rights wrangle of the years, Welles' estate owns Othello. F for Fake is owned by an Iranian-French company (Films D'Astrophore, I think)

Citizen Kane (RKO), The Magnificent Ambersons (RKO), The Lady from Shanghai (Columbia), Macbeth (Republic), and Touch of Evil (Universal) were all studio productions. While Welles was credited as producer for those first three, the studio bankrolled them.

The Strangers (Sam Spiegel/RKO), Mr. Arkadin (Louis Dolivet), The Trial (Salkinds), and Chimes at Midnight (Harry Saltzman) were independent productions. Welles was technically "for hire" on all four.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any standout Japanese or Chinese movies from the past few years you guys reccomend?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Any standout Japanese or Chinese movies from the past few years you guys reccomend?

Super obvious, but Shin Godzilla

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I had a dozen things to say and realized they're all 15 years old or older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Shoplifters.