Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

Pretty sure that Square is painfully aware of the problem and the sales to cost is going to spur them to get something different going quickly.
They messed up at least 4 games in a row (13, 13-2,14 and 13-3) so I wouldn't call it quickly. But I hear they fixed 14, so I'm cautiously optimistic of the future. Not that I plan on buying future FF's until I see it in action. We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
13-2 and 13-3 actually probably had a more closely knit development cycle than 13 and 14, so they didn't really mess those up so much as the damage has been done to the brand. It would be ridiculous if it happened again after 13 and Versus' loving debacle. Square however has done the right thing by making Versus into FF15 because not only is that Nomura's poo poo and he's not doing anything else right now, Square is putting forward their full attention and already had something of a plan when it was Versus. Nomura will get this loving game done if it kills him and he's had a plan for it for a while, unfortunately he's been preoccupied for the last 7 years and is only now getting some time to work on the drat thing.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
They literally pulled a 180 on XIV, and the XIII games are a sunk cost where they have to keep pumping games out to pay for years of aimless dicking about.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Do you think that it is too late to turn XV into an opera?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
VI already did that. XV needs to be a big budget Broadway musical. The PCs already look like 21st century Sharks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pasteurized Milk posted:

The closest thing any game Nomura touches will ever get to a musical or an opera is a Gackt cameo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

The closest thing any game Nomura touches will ever get to a musical or an opera is a Gackt cameo.

I dunno about that, remember Kingdom Hearts II? :gonk:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nomura, it's not too late to make XV into that musical you wanted.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Overbite posted:

Doesn't fill me with a lot of optimism regarding future Final Fantasy games.

It's worth mentioning that FFXIV, even as a MMO, is the best Final Fantasy they've made in quite some time. It is still a MMO, yeah, but unless you absolutely despise the genre you can basically buy it and play through the main storyline in the free month they give you and it is very much a Final Fantasy Game from start to finish, pleasantly surprising basically everyone. After all the FFXIII games basically collapsing under the weight of their own convoluted mythology XIV is a breath of fresh air.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Nomura, it's not too late to make XV into that musical you wanted.

Of course not, just delay FF15 another couple years. :smithicide:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mokinokaro posted:

Not even that. They made all the cutscenes for promo material and then had to figure out a story to connect them, iirc. So all those characters who get one or two scenes? They never had anything further planned for them in the first place.

FFXIII was comically mismanaged.

Oh, I'm sure there's other reasons. But to hear Toriyama explain it, the reason the game is so linear is that it is hard to tell an interesting story when the player has freedom or agency, so that's the STATED reason. Because they're not going to come out and say "we hosed up" any more than they were going to blame their budget shortfalls on the Japanese branch of the company sucking down cash instead of Eidos not selling enough games.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Defiance Industries posted:

Because they're not going to come out and say "we hosed up"
They did. Anybody talking about XIII's development is paraphrasing the Game Developer postmortem straight from the horses' mouths.
Summary
Super-slow archive of the issue

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Basically for the past decade or so, SE has been riding on the "people will buy it because it's Final Fantasy" wave, and are just now realizing that it has run aground.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be fair that logic sort of did work with Dissidia and Theatrhythm, because gently caress do I love poo poo that are just love letters to ongoing series.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sex_Ferguson posted:

To be fair that logic sort of did work with Dissidia and Theatrhythm, because gently caress do I love poo poo that are just love letters to ongoing series.
I am so excited for Theatrhythm Curtain Call, you don't even know. Somehow they managed to make a playable rhythm game instead of a terrible cash-in love letter!

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Dissidia was really fun though. Gabranth or bust!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
But Dissidia was fun. I have both of them, its super fun, albeit the balance is not balance.

EDIT: ^ that's not how you say Exdeath. Hours of practice = gently caress you I'm Exdeath, blocking every single one of your bullshit and murdering you.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm still annoyed they changed the name of Bartz's finisher to Master Mime. That wasn't a command in FFV, Spellblade-Dual Wield-Rapid Fire was. :colbert:

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
If they ever do another Dissidia I'd be really happy if they improved the combat somehow. After a while the battles felt so samey.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sex_Ferguson posted:

13-2 and 13-3 actually probably had a more closely knit development cycle than 13 and 14, so they didn't really mess those up so much as the damage has been done to the brand. It would be ridiculous if it happened again after 13 and Versus' loving debacle. Square however has done the right thing by making Versus into FF15 because not only is that Nomura's poo poo and he's not doing anything else right now, Square is putting forward their full attention and already had something of a plan when it was Versus. Nomura will get this loving game done if it kills him and he's had a plan for it for a while, unfortunately he's been preoccupied for the last 7 years and is only now getting some time to work on the drat thing.

It's also a good decision because it'll straight up sell more copies as a fresh title than it would as FF13 Versus, especially as a next gen release.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm still annoyed they changed the name of Bartz's finisher to Master Mime. That wasn't a command in FFV, Spellblade-Dual Wield-Rapid Fire was. :colbert:

He's not even a good Mime, it should be Lenna and Krile. Jesus.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kyrosiris posted:

He's not even a good Mime, it should be Lenna and Krile. Jesus.

Dancer Bart should be his finisher. That outfit :allears:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Finisher should have been Swords Dance with the Chicken Knife. Dat damage :stare:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Nah but seriously, if you get the hang of him Exdeath is by far the best character to play as. He has no downsides. Not even movement unless you took out his semi-homing teleport move for some reason, and why would you do that when the only other normal ability you need is perfect guard?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Squallege posted:

Dissidia was really fun though. Gabranth or bust!

Gologle posted:

But Dissidia was fun. I have both of them, its super fun, albeit the balance is not balance.

EDIT: ^ that's not how you say Exdeath. Hours of practice = gently caress you I'm Exdeath, blocking every single one of your bullshit and murdering you.

I wasn't saying they were bad games I was saying poo poo as if you would say "stuff" although I should've clarified that. Dissidia and Theatrhythm do own though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Here's a FFV Challenge: an all-Dancer team. You could call it the "All of you, dance like you want to win!" team.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Isn't there a way to guarantee that your team hits Sword Dance all the time? iirc there are several weapons and armor that will facilitate this, and Sword Dance is pretty good when you actually do it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

1st AD posted:

Isn't there a way to guarantee that your team hits Sword Dance all the time? iirc there are several weapons and armor that will facilitate this, and Sword Dance is pretty good when you actually do it.

Only one given instance of Sword Dance UP applies per character, it removes Tempting Tango from the dance pool and replaces it with another chance to roll Sword Dance.

The bigger issue would be a lack of good weapons. Your fourth dancer would have to use the Thief's Knife as their weapon since your others would be spoken for (Chicken Knife, Assassin's Dagger, and Man Eater)

Edit: Four Ribbons would also kind of be a bitch to farm up.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

1st AD posted:

There are 3 items that improve the chance to 50%, but I don't think they stack. Could be wrong though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kyrosiris posted:

Actually, in FFV there are 5 Ribbons found in chests, four if you don't count the one in the Sealed Temple in the GBA version.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

Actually, in FFV there are 5 Ribbons found in chests, four if you don't count the one in the Sealed Temple in the GBA version.

Aha. It's been so long since I've needed more than one, since I haven't played a "normal" game of FFV in ages.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Dr Pepper posted:

Does that include the one the little girl will give you in World 3?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Only one given instance of Sword Dance UP applies per character, it removes Tempting Tango from the dance pool and replaces it with another chance to roll Sword Dance.

The bigger issue would be a lack of good weapons. Your fourth dancer would have to use the Thief's Knife as their weapon since your others would be spoken for (Chicken Knife, Assassin's Dagger, and Man Eater)

You can farm up another Man Eater. Rare steal from the frog chicks in Istory Falls.

Ballin Stalin
Dec 29, 2009

by Lowtax
I'm not gonna say that people with gripes with FFX don't have legitimate reasons for having them, but despite the game's linearity it had a cohesive plot-line that was clear throughout the game from the beginning to the end. Locations, lore, and villains stayed relevant. When they no longer were, it was because the story had naturally progressed to that point (as opposed to Cid in FF13 being dead but not, or that Anime Secretary Lady who was just there then died, with her death not having affected the game in any way).

You understood where you were going and why. If you didn't, it was unknown to Tidus as well, which was addressed in some way in game and allowed for natural story telling that didn't break the fourth wall (nothing like a flashing 'read this datalog to get plot we don't know how to write' to jar me out of the game itself) in such a horrible and amateurish way.

Not saying FFX is perfect (it happens to be my favourite). You could find it horribly written, horribly paced, horribly designed, horribly whatever else. The game went off the rails (but when DOESN'T a Final Fantasy game?) and had its share of stupidity and just flat out flawed conceptualization. But at least there was something TO be flawed. FF13 has nothing for me to even criticize or nitpick about it.

I wanted to like FF13, I really did. It was disappointing for me to finally put the controller down near Orphan's Cradle and say, "nah, this is crap."

FF13 could have been an average take-it-or-leave-it FF if it possessed even half the personality, purpose, or vision FF10 did. The first three hours of FF13 introduced a relatively interesting and somewhat likeable cast of characters, established a clear conflict, and gave the player a lead into what the overall plotline was going to be. It dropped the ball REALLY quickly though. Imagine if FFX had stopped around when Tidus washes up on Besaid and meets Yuna in the Cloister for the first time. That's about when FF13 stopped even pretending to want to be a game imo.

So FFX may be linear but even Rin the shopkeeper added to world building and story. In FF13 the break from linearity was a static shop you didn't even really need at save points with no character whatsoever. There are similarities between the two games yes but there's no way I can understand the "if you don't like FF13 how can you like 10" argument.

Ballin Stalin fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 2, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
In yet another installment of LR: Fashion Edition:

Someone playing around with the colours, I think. Create as many eye-searing neon abominations as you can!

I, Lightning, will knock you all down:

Surprisingly "normal"

Half a toga is fine:

The Clusterfuck Range:

Toriyama's Secret Folder Collection:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

You know, I knew her proportions were super weird and awful, but this one really drives it home.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Meiteron posted:

It's worth mentioning that FFXIV, even as a MMO, is the best Final Fantasy they've made in quite some time. It is still a MMO, yeah, but unless you absolutely despise the genre you can basically buy it and play through the main storyline in the free month they give you and it is very much a Final Fantasy Game from start to finish, pleasantly surprising basically everyone. After all the FFXIII games basically collapsing under the weight of their own convoluted mythology XIV is a breath of fresh air.

That's what I'm planning on doing once the PS4 version comes out next year, which I think is the same time the Japanese get the system.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Lightning, your head is HUGE.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Half a toga is fine:

This isn't that bad actually, much better than the official default look.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ballin Stalin posted:

Words on the difference between FFX and FFXIII

Something else to point out thats different between the two is the pacing of the story and what the plot critical revelations mean for the player. In FFX roughly 4 hours into the game when you meet Auron he just drops "Sin is Jecht." This, and all the others which the game constantly inserts, work to make Tidus want to stay on his journey and finish it faster. Everything you learn in the game drives you forward further and faster until you meet Yunalesca and realize after everything you've seen this wagon has no brakes. Hell by the time the revelation about Tidus is first implied you the player and Tidus both already know its way too late to go back and that you're too invested in finishing this journey.

FFXIII on the other hand is content to plod along with the party in the "don't know what to do but must run forward" state for nearly 16 hours before it gives you some sort of new information. Except the new information it gives you, that the Emperor is a God-Machine and wants you all to die, doesn't change anything and doesn't give the party any more a concrete goal. In fact, its not until another 5-6 hours later that the party says "lets do something aggressive instead of running" and its still not established what their actual goal should be. You don't even find out that they can avoid their fates until the ending cutscene and theres no player motivating reason why she should be able to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Another big point in favor of FFX: the game never split up your party. With only one big exception, characters stayed in your party for good. In fact, the gameplay even focused around using your entire party as much as possible. It really helped to form a cohesive narrative that you were all on the trail together, like some weird fantasy Oregon Trail. In FF13 you were constantly bouncing between view points and character arcs, it was completely disjointed.