Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I arrived at the hotel I booked for 2 nights, the Hyatt place in downtown Atlanta and when I went to check in, they told me sorry, they didn’t have any rooms left because of a group in house, so they are putting me in the Hyatt regency tonight, which I will then have to check out tomorrow and re-check in at Hyatt place.

I was in the process of switching from being a Hilton loyalist with ~90 nights per year to Hyatt. I have about 20 with each now so far this year, but was making the change. Arriving to find out Hyatt gave my room away is not a great way to instill loyalty in their guests, especially so for ones with status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’d fight that.

I found a bedbug in a Hyatt place and left immediately and they moved me to the Park Hyatt due to my demands with no questions asked and did all of my laundry upon arrival within 3 hours.

I’d just make your demands and not accept no.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

sellouts posted:

I’d fight that.

I found a bedbug in a Hyatt place and left immediately and they moved me to the Park Hyatt due to my demands with no questions asked and did all of my laundry upon arrival within 3 hours.

I’d just make your demands and not accept no.

I thought about it, but I was tired and just wanted to get to bed. I ended up walking over to the Hyatt regency and fell asleep. Then, at some point in the middle of the night, I closed the bathroom door because the night light in there was too bright, only to get up this morning to take a shower and find out the bathroom door was missing the handle. I had to use the plastic door hanger and slip it into the latch like some cheesy 80s movie using a credit card to break in.

Once I’d slept the frustration off, I figured I’d stick with Hyatt, but after the missing doorknob (in my upgraded suite!!), I’ve cancelled all my Hyatt stays and re-booked all Hilton brand properties.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Speaking of bed bugs..

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-44964232

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Buff Hardback posted:

Which reminds me I need to go complain about my six hour delay from Delta, I already got 2500 miles but I think they can do better than that

They tossed me another 3000, so I got 5500 out of it in total, fine with me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
drat really? whenever i hit the pinata 10k comes out, minimum

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

A pinata with ed bastian's face would 100% be a hit in the Sky Clubs

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I also only have like 4 segments on my skymiles account

a regular business traveler with access to the piñata I am not

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Should I bet on a 1h20m connection time in AMS on a Saturday (Schengen -> Non), or just book the 3h30m? CityHopper from ZRH-AMS which has generally always been timely for me. I did it last month and was fine -- I suppose if I do miss it, I could also bet on sliding to the later AMS-SEA flight anyways.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

AMS is pretty good about letting tight connections skip to the front of the line for customs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

As long as there's a backup I'd roll the dice.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Agree with rolling the dice given reasonable backup options.

I'm on the way home from MAA and everything has been early and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. 🙄

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cool my wife is flying in international on a 30 minute delayed F ticket. She got to the gate for her connecting flight to NC ahead of the scheduled departure time but they went ahead and closed the gate even though two more F tickets were going on the same flight. So the next direct flight isn't for another 19 hours :wtc:

Excuse me while I go find some beer and I guess I'm gonna go binge watch all the star wars movies that came out since Solo and catch up on The Mandalorian because my whole Saturday is now hosed

Thanks Delta

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Cool my wife is flying in international on a 30 minute delayed F ticket. She got to the gate for her connecting flight to NC ahead of the scheduled departure time but they went ahead and closed the gate even though two more F tickets were going on the same flight. So the next direct flight isn't for another 19 hours :wtc:

Excuse me while I go find some beer and I guess I'm gonna go binge watch all the star wars movies that came out since Solo and catch up on The Mandalorian because my whole Saturday is now hosed

Thanks Delta

Look at this loser who would rather spend time with his wife than binge Star Wars.

That sucks, and it probably sucks even worse for her - sorry to hear it.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Hadlock posted:

Thanks Delta

That sucks dicks, man. Sorry for your wife.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
It's been a while since I've flown through Munich. United is suggesting a 40 minute connection within the airport (arriving from the US, connecting to another Schengen country).

That's crazy right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you have to clear customs so yeah that's nuts

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you have to clear customs so yeah that's nuts

United just knows I'm a pro traveler who will be able to do it with his wife/toddler.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Are the strikes in Germany still affecting Munich? I'm flying through there week after next.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It depends but not all euro airports require you to exit and re clear security after clearing customs, that's mostly American fuckery. It's possible but I don't know about your airport

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Guy Axlerod posted:

Are the strikes in Germany still affecting Munich? I'm flying through there week after next.

I connected through MUC last week on a Saturday and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Residency Evil posted:

It's been a while since I've flown through Munich. United is suggesting a 40 minute connection within the airport (arriving from the US, connecting to another Schengen country).

That's crazy right?

40 minute MCTs don't equate to something that actually makes sense here in this particular plane of reality.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

KillHour posted:

Edit: I'm now looking for recommendations for places to stay and things to do/eat in Tokyo and Kyoto for about 2 and a half weeks if anyone has any good ideas.

Kyoto has an incredible selection of World Heritage sites; Ryoan-Ji was a highlight for me but there are so many incredible temples and gardens to see.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Beef Of Ages posted:

40 minute MCTs don't equate to something that actually makes sense here in this particular plane of reality.

This.

MCTs are published by airlines to sell as many connections as possible without blowback. In some markets, like Vietnam, they will sell you physically impossible MCTs (e.g. intl-to-dom in 30 minutes when they're not even in the same terminal, and you can't transfer without going on the road). And the problem with MCTs is that all travelers are different, between passports, visas, GE, etc, but they need to apply to everybody.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

KillHour posted:

Edit: I'm now looking for recommendations for places to stay and things to do/eat in Tokyo and Kyoto for about 2 and a half weeks if anyone has any good ideas.

2 and a half weeks is a long time to stay in just those two spots - you will find plenty to do, but here are some thoughts:
Add in a leg to Hiroshima - it has a very different vibe than Tokyo and Kyoto in a very positive way. There are some fantastic day trips that can spring off from Hiroshima.
Add a 1 or 2-night stay at a ryokan in Hakone on the way to Kyoto, but be prepared for $400+ rates per night because the food is included. Be sure to look for ryokans that have a free shuttle from the station.
Take a three or four night trip to Sapporo by plane - I've found miles tickets for the HND -> CTS route to be comically cheap (11K round trip for a flight with ANA), and the experience of flying domestic in Japan is very chill and amazingly efficient. I've literally seen a 767 board in 10 minutes. Sapporo itself has plenty to do and, again, is a great jumping-off point for many things in Hokkaido.

Happy to give some more specific suggestions but trying to avoid a massive derail here.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SIHappiness posted:

2 and a half weeks is a long time to stay in just those two spots - you will find plenty to do, but here are some thoughts:
Add in a leg to Hiroshima - it has a very different vibe than Tokyo and Kyoto in a very positive way. There are some fantastic day trips that can spring off from Hiroshima.
Add a 1 or 2-night stay at a ryokan in Hakone on the way to Kyoto, but be prepared for $400+ rates per night because the food is included. Be sure to look for ryokans that have a free shuttle from the station.
Take a three or four night trip to Sapporo by plane - I've found miles tickets for the HND -> CTS route to be comically cheap (11K round trip for a flight with ANA), and the experience of flying domestic in Japan is very chill and amazingly efficient. I've literally seen a 767 board in 10 minutes. Sapporo itself has plenty to do and, again, is a great jumping-off point for many things in Hokkaido.

Happy to give some more specific suggestions but trying to avoid a massive derail here.

:justpost: It's useful to have as a reference! :cheerdoge:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SIHappiness posted:

Thanks for this. So I added this detail in the Japan thread but not here because I'm stupid:

The thought is to do the first week in Kyoto, stop near Fuji (or wherever else is good) on the way to Tokyo and spend a night in a really nice (best I can reasonably get a reservation for without being a famous person) ryokan. Call it a budget of ~1k USD. Can go higher if it's REALLY worth it.

Definitely looking for recommendations there. I know there are some really famous ones but it's hard to tell what is good and what is just expensive.

Also maybe rent a car and enjoy a drive through the countryside before heading to Tokyo for the last week.

Hokkaido would be cool as gently caress but I did a 2 week drive up the West Coast of the US last year and it was kind of a bummer to have to rush so much to fit everything in. I'm sure I'll go back again.

A big thing for us is food. Suggest to me all of the delicious food. I'll eat at a 4 figure Michelin place or a run down hole in the wall as long as it's worth my time. Should I find a place to try fugu? I feel like I should probably try fugu.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I upgraded my Swiss flight from biz to F to get home from New York to Geneva. Not cheap but felt worth it to get decent sleep, and especially a lot of line-skipping. I didn't wait a second to clear security at JFK, and then straight off the plane to a separate immigration centre at GVA.

Swiss business class is a bit old and poo poo and the bed was way better, with something approaching privacy. Food was so-so but I guess that's Switzerland for you.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KillHour posted:

Also maybe rent a car and enjoy a drive through the countryside before heading to Tokyo for the last week.

Keep in mind that you will need an (otherwise useless and stupid) international driver's license to rent a car in Japan. Buddy of mine found that out the hard way.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Beef Of Ages posted:

Keep in mind that you will need an (otherwise useless and stupid) international driver's license to rent a car in Japan. Buddy of mine found that out the hard way.

It's stupid and a pain in the rear end but at least it's only $20. I could be talked out of it if it's a terrible idea though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are we talking about that stupid piece of paper you get from AAA?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

Are we talking about that stupid piece of paper you get from AAA?

Yep -- they (Japan) are pretty strict about it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

movax posted:

Yep -- they (Japan) are pretty strict about it.

Japan? Strict about paperwork and bureaucratic process? No, never.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KillHour posted:

Japan? Strict about paperwork and bureaucratic process? No, never.

I’m shocked I was never asked when I rented a car in Italy, Spain, and South Africa, countries known for their strictness.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Look I'm just trying to live out my childhoodembarrassingly recent weeb Initial D fantasies here. Where can I rent an R32?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
If you’re trying to do a GT car rental, I believe both Suzuka and Fuji speedways have track days, but they are only on certain days. You can even practice those tracks in Gran Turismo 7.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mandalay posted:

If you’re trying to do a GT car rental, I believe both Suzuka and Fuji speedways have track days, but they are only on certain days. You can even practice those tracks in Gran Turismo 7.

I've done enough Suzuka in iRacing that I could probably drive it blindfolded but my SO would kill me if we flew half way around the world and I spent it at the track. She refuses to go to Watkins Glen with me and that's only a few hours away. Cruising through the countryside would scratch the itch, I think.

...I'd be lying if I said I wasn't desperately thinking of an excuse though.

Edit: She did do a hike with me at Laguna Seca. That was cool as gently caress.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 1, 2023

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KillHour posted:

Look I'm just trying to live out my childhoodembarrassingly recent weeb Initial D fantasies here. Where can I rent an R32?

https://fun2drive-japan.com

I did this back in 2019 -- wanted a R32, but it was not available the day I went, so ended up in an AE86, which was loving awesome. I did the Ultimate Hakone Drive, which is 100% what you want. Couple hours of speedily weaving through the mountains, with a tour guide + radio in your ear telling you when to speed up, slow down, cops, etc... amazing experience.

Getting out there was pretty simple, bus from Shinjuku. Hardest part was finding the bus stop at Shinjuku Station but show up early enough and you will be fine.

They scrutinized the poo poo out of my IDP (thought it was fake) but accepted in the end.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

movax posted:

https://fun2drive-japan.com

I did this back in 2019 -- wanted a R32, but it was not available the day I went, so ended up in an AE86, which was loving awesome. I did the Ultimate Hakone Drive, which is 100% what you want. Couple hours of speedily weaving through the mountains, with a tour guide + radio in your ear telling you when to speed up, slow down, cops, etc... amazing experience.

Getting out there was pretty simple, bus from Shinjuku. Hardest part was finding the bus stop at Shinjuku Station but show up early enough and you will be fine.

They scrutinized the poo poo out of my IDP (thought it was fake) but accepted in the end.

NANI!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

e: bonus (they gave me the binder, I did not bring it...)

Ashinoko Skyline, IIRC.