Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
EDIT: Prog rock pagesnipe, since someone mentioned Bozzio last page:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaL9JhFSKAk

Bozzio has quite possibly the most ostentatious drum kit in existence... I had my doubts that it was anything but dick-waving until I saw him play it. The man deserves that drum kit.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

that's the problem with pretty much all prog stuff

Yeah, I think most of the complaints levelled against DT are just as applicable to any other prog rock/metal band you can name. For me, I have similar feelings about 'math rock' that a lot of people seem to about prog: It's so technical and fast that there's no soul anymore... At least some prog bands have actually-groovy riffs - even if they're over after eight bars. Hella and Battles and stuff is just... way too masturbatory for me. I also agree with the last page or so of DT-bashing but I am unashamed to say I'm still a fan... of a few of their albums. I saw them at Massey Hall in 2010 and they did Octavarium, front-to-back, flawlessly. Of course the audience was all jorts-clad neckbeards on their knees in front of the seats, throwing up the horns and waving their tongues around at Petrucci.

Masturbatory solos, Bruce-Dickinson-lite vocals and Portnoy sneaking in lyrics about alcoholism aside, they had some iconic releases. Scenes From A Memory really rekindled my love for drumming; I taught myself basically the whole album (except The Dance of Eternity gently caress that song). But I think their real biggest gem is the back half of A Change Of Seasons, which is just a live recording of a medley of awesome covers. Their cover of Love Lies Bleeding kicks the poo poo out of the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd16fhsVYHE

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

that's the problem with pretty much all prog stuff

ron jarzombek's one of the few dudes who doesn't fall into that trap too often

love too watch ron break down his songs and show how they follow insanely interconnected patterns

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
http://www.rondomusic.com/Brice_HXB2_405_3235_Headless_NatBurl.html

this wouldnt be too poo poo if not for the low tuners sticking so far past the body

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have always been bored by this song but watching Joe adapt it on that setup was so fun I grinned (like the idiot I am) through the whole thing. The guy is stuck way in a rut but I have to say he's a total perfectionist. Every time I see him play live he seems to be 100% in his groove. Maybe it's because he hasn't done anything new and fresh in 20 years. I hate to bash on the guy, though. Satch Boogie changed my life.

Also, re: Dream Theater: Images and Words is awful. Just terrible. Long keyboard pad intros before boring, long passion-less songs. They definitely got better but they never really did it for me except those few tunes on Awake.

They tried to do the modern-day Prog-rock concept album thing and I think it basically showed they had no concept. I will give props to them for putting ten songs ideas into one long song, but only with the caveat that it would have been better as 3 four minute songs.

Satch just made me smile. That's rare nowadays. Maybe it was the hat.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I think the thing of it altogether is that things are best when both performer and audience are having fun. It may be fun to play twenty million notes, but is it fun to listen to them?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

Also, re: Dream Theater: Images and Words is awful. Just terrible. Long keyboard pad intros before boring, long passion-less songs. They definitely got better but they never really did it for me except those few tunes on Awake.

the one time dream theater has been okay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=510om4YVkOY

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That guitar tone makes my pants tight.

Never been a fan of cookie monster singing, though.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

what about burp vocals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Ji7iNORK0

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

muike posted:

http://www.rondomusic.com/Brice_HXB2_405_3235_Headless_NatBurl.html

this wouldnt be too poo poo if not for the low tuners sticking so far past the body

That's very confusing, as the last two pictures are of a different bass (which has four strings instead of five, and does not have fanned frets).

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

dream theater are a bunch of guys who write showtunes but somewhere the wires got crossed and they became convinced they're a metal band

I'm a drummer who has never heard a single Dream Theater song so I went over to YouTube and ran through a dozen or so. Everything I heard could be summed up as "Hey guys, I just wrote the soundtrack for a new Highlander sequel. Let's record it and every once in a while throw in a few bars of 5/4, 7/8, and 9/16 for absolutely no loving reason whatsoever."

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dream Theater is the jorts of rock and roll.

Pictured: your typical Dream Theater fan.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dream Theater is fine and cool y'all are the real nerds :colbert:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Dream Theater is the jorts of rock and roll.

Pictured: your typical Dream Theater fan.

PLEASE DON'T DOXX ME!!!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dream Theatre sounds like it was made in a lab from the boring parts of Iron Maiden, bad rock-ballads and 'heavy metal' stock music.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dr. Faustus posted:

That guitar tone makes my pants tight.

What the hell dude? Theres no oomph to it. All the chuggy parts are like tinfoil blowing in the wind. Maybe there's just too much chorus to it. You can do heavy tones in standard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKlJDQWFlYA

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

praxis posted:

I'm a drummer who has never heard a single Dream Theater song so I went over to YouTube and ran through a dozen or so. Everything I heard could be summed up as "Hey guys, I just wrote the soundtrack for a new Highlander sequel. Let's record it and every once in a while throw in a few bars of 5/4, 7/8, and 9/16 for absolutely no loving reason whatsoever."

That dumb song with a billion time signature changes that every dt fan I know gushes about is so baffling. You can't follow it rhythmically because it's rhythm changes for the sake of rhythm changes, and it's not even at all impressive when you consider that I don't think there's even a polyrhythm there.

King Crimson did a song where you have like half a dozen completely different time signatures at the same time, and it's actually a good song with clever musical ideas instead of wank

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Playing in bands taught me something: each instrument should exist in its own space and I'm old-fashioned: I let the bass handle the bass. When I want heavy lows I listen to King's X.
I like that guitar tone because it has this great presence that isn't shrill. It's bright and aggressive.
I've heard some other live DT stuff where Petrucci got that sound and it's great. It's not my thing but I still think it's awesome.

I started out playing guitar in my bedroom with this huge amount of bass. Then I tried it in a room with a drummer and a bassist and I learned the value of mids and highs. Scooped tones sound great when everyone else works their sounds around yours, but in my experience the sound of a great amp seems boring and lacks "oomph" until you make it a part of an ensemble.

To each their own.

And the guitar tone I was talking about has nothing to do with creeping down into bassist territory. Like in King's X, I think it works when it's written that way. I don't own a 7-string and I play in Eb so I can sing along. That's about it. Works for me and I'm an old so I ain't changing.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 15, 2017

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

each instrument should exist in its own space

I've recently come to a similar conclusion. Never had a seven string, but I'm considering trading a couple of baritones in because I never use them.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't think the instruments or tunings are the problem, it's more of an EQ issue like Faustus was saying. Even bands like Conan make it work with F standard tuning. Live is trickier but still. EQ + understanding the proper management of sonic space is key to heavy, powerful sounding instruments.

tl;dr gently caress scooped mids.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't think the instruments or tunings are the problem, it's more of an EQ issue like Faustus was saying. Even bands like Conan make it work with F standard tuning. Live is trickier but still. EQ + understanding the proper management of sonic space is key to heavy, powerful sounding instruments.

tl;dr gently caress scooped mids.

"Scooped mids" is a dangerous phrase that gets demonized a lot, especially because "scooping" exists on a spectrum and while just a slight bit of it can be cool and good even with a live band, scooping a lot just turns your sound into the dreaded can of bees tone everybody hates.

Also, a lot of people jump to the conclusion that because "extremely scooped mids" is bad, then obviously cranked mids is the opposite and therefore great. Personally though I can't really say the old Iron Maiden or Randy Rhoads style of turning the treble and bass to 0 and mids to 10 then ripping the knob off is any better, because then it makes your guitar sound small like you're playing guitar through a lovely megaphone or a lovely AM radio effect.

Anyway, yeah "scooped mids" are usually bad, "balanced mids," not necessarily "boosted mids," are where it's at.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Have some really stupid music poo poo. It's the demo of my Fender Blues Jr. Mk III Combo before I do major surgery to it.

The clean part is my parts Strat with Texas Specials, the rest is my JEM77FP. This is a 1x12" Fender combo so it's gonna do what it's gonna do. I made a point of throwing in some Mr. Big at the end, just because. I'm gonna re-record the same clips when the amp is modded with all the BillM Audio parts and output transformer (although I think I need to swap out the Jensen speaker, too.)

GreatGreen posted:

Anyway, yeah "scooped mids" are usually bad, "balanced mids," not necessarily "boosted mids," are where it's at.
What he said.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ay dawg put a vintage 30 in it lmao.

edit: G12H30?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

ay dawg put a vintage 30 in it lmao.

edit: G12H30?

Celestion Heritage G12H(55) 12" 30-Watt Replacement Guitar Speaker 8 Ohm"

It's the British-made version which is crazy expensive, rather than the cheaper Chinese-made version.

I already have the mods so I'll do them first. Like I said, it's stupid music poo poo for fun and if I am not happy I'll try something else.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 16, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

GreatGreen posted:

"Scooped mids" is a dangerous phrase that gets demonized a lot, especially because "scooping" exists on a spectrum and while just a slight bit of it can be cool and good even with a live band, scooping a lot just turns your sound into the dreaded can of bees tone everybody hates.

Also, a lot of people jump to the conclusion that because "extremely scooped mids" is bad, then obviously cranked mids is the opposite and therefore great. Personally though I can't really say the old Iron Maiden or Randy Rhoads style of turning the treble and bass to 0 and mids to 10 then ripping the knob off is any better, because then it makes your guitar sound small like you're playing guitar through a lovely megaphone or a lovely AM radio effect.

Agreed for the most part but I boost the poo poo out of my mids. My setup is an EQD Arrows boosting the mids into an Orange Amps. Mids mids mids!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I just got a Sweetwater email with this "Hot Deal" in there.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UV77WFR?utm_source=gearnet&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20170516

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 16, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I accidentally slipped on Sweetwater.com and oops I ordered that Celestion speaker. Send help, I am ill.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

I accidentally slipped on Sweetwater.com and oops I ordered that Celestion speaker. Send help, I am ill.

Don't worry, if the BillM mods don't really work the speaker will.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

the funny thing about the whole scooped mids for heavy guitars nonsense is that it came from someone spotting the graphic eq on james hetfield's mark iic+ and assuming that's just what you gotta do to get a chunky rhythm sound with every amp and not the fact that mesa's eq is loving weird (in fact the t/m/b knobs his amp are at something like 7/4/2) and those things are designed with an obnoxious amount of midrange with everything set midway

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Got any song links with especially badly scooped mids?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Actually the whole mid-scoop thing is a mistake guitarists make when they're playing alone. It's when they get with a drummer and bassist that they realize they just can't compete or get loud enough to be heard. It's a simple rookie mistake that probably (I say probably) doesn't make it into actual recordings because engineers say, "Woah woah woah!"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqOJD_TdIKY

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Snowy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVMvART9kb8

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

A metal guitarist at a jam tried out the amp I brought and complained the mids were scooped.

It was a Danelectro Honeytone.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dr. Faustus posted:

You did the right thing.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

the funny thing about the whole scooped mids for heavy guitars nonsense is that it came from someone spotting the graphic eq on james hetfield's mark iic+ and assuming that's just what you gotta do to get a chunky rhythm sound with every amp and not the fact that mesa's eq is loving weird (in fact the t/m/b knobs his amp are at something like 7/4/2) and those things are designed with an obnoxious amount of midrange with everything set midway

Yeah, Mesa Mark amps are weird. I owned a Mark IIB once and spent a lot of time dialing it in. The tone knobs, like on all Mark amps, are actually wired before the tube distortion in the circuit, so they really act like more of an eq for just your incoming guitar signal. With a decent amount of gain, turning the bass higher than 2 instantly makes your guitar flubby/mushy. Also, since the tone knobs are wired before the tubes, you can think of them not just as EQ but volume knobs, each controlling the volume of different frequency chunks of your guitar before finally being summed afterwards and sent to the tubes. Turning the treble knob way up actually boosts your preamp gain quite a bit in addition to the two actual gain knobs, one of which is wired before and the other after the eq knobs.

The graphic EQ on Mark amps are actually equivalent to the EQ controls on most other guitar amps in terms of how it affects the tone. They're wired after preamp distortion.

And finally, like you said, Mesa Mark amps output an absolute poo poo ton of mids, so scooping the mids all the way out with the graphic EQ is basically the equivalent of setting the mids to 4 or 5 on any other amp.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 17, 2017

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Yeah come to think of it my Mesa 50 caliber is so middy it becomes.... middy muddy.

What a loving loud combo though, Jesus.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, Mesa Mark amps are weird. I owned a Mark IIB once and spent a lot of time dialing it in. The tone knobs, like on all Mark amps, are actually wired before the tube distortion in the circuit, so they really act like more of an eq for just your incoming guitar signal. With a decent amount of gain, turning the bass higher than 2 instantly makes your guitar flubby/mushy. Also, since the tone knobs are wired before the tubes, you can think of them not just as EQ but volume knobs, each controlling the volume of different frequency chunks of your guitar before finally being summed afterwards and sent to the tubes. Turning the treble knob way up actually boosts your preamp gain quite a bit in addition to the two actual gain knobs, one of which is wired before and the other after the eq knobs.

yep they go into pretty good detail about how the eq functions as a separate gain control and how to dial it in in the user manuals which nobody reads

i remember playing a triple rec at a mars music back when those were briefly a thing and thinking this sounds like total dogshit compared to my block letter 5150

i wasn't too impressed with the gain channel on my mini rec either until i cut the mids and bass to 8 o'clock and all of a sudden it was that sound

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Snowy posted:

It's called a Metal Zone. "Get in the 'Zone" as they say.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It's called a Metal Zone. "Get in the 'Zone" as they say.

I once heard that Aussie band Grinspoon recorded their whole first album with an MT-2. Confirm/deny? The tone does kinda suck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OJv5QNlkBo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.rondomusic.com/Agile_AL-2500_TC_VWH.html

:vince:

• Locked thread