Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kneecaps posted:

I was shouting in my car during the Nexus when they said that Trek had never done another episode about the Tholian Web. There's an Enterprise two-parter that features it and oh yeah you also find out what happened to the Defiant and it's awesome. Spoiler alert: Mirror Universe.

:lol: that you were incensed by this, and not incensed by them referring to the Reliant as the Defiant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: that you were incensed by this, and not incensed by them referring to the Reliant as the Defiant

The episode had the Defiant. The Reliant is the ship Khan takes control of in Wrath of Khan.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Defiant_(NCC-1764)

The name The Defiant is then reused in DS9 for their little ship for away missions, but that's a different ship.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 1, 2022

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

The name The Defiant is then reused in DS9 for their little ship for away missions, but that's a different ship.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thrawn527 posted:

The episode had the Defiant. The Reliant is the ship Khan takes control of in Wrath of Khan.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Defiant_(NCC-1764)

I know, but they called specifically mentioned Wrath of Khan and called the Reliant, the Defiant.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Thank you.

Iron Crowned posted:

I know, but they called specifically mentioned Wrath of Khan and called the Reliant, the Defiant.

Oh, I missed that part. My mistake. I have brought shame upon my household.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

*activates the cabin alarm*

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I wish WHM had more of an artist fandom because there are at least three bits from this latest ep that deserve to be animated

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

DANNIK. JERRIKO.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Not a fan of WLM but at least they’ve moved it away from December, making space for the inevitable Christmas with the Kranks episode.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I don’t think it was mentioned on the reveal but Point Break is guest starring two of the Chapos and I’m so hyped for that crossover

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Point Break is so good. The best part is when Gary Busey briefly considers ordering three full-size meatball subs at 10:30 a.m.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Andrew and I need the Point Break UHD yesterday!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm shocked no one else mentioned how loving funny them imitating the actress in Leprechaun 2 was. It had me dying. Also Chelsea is 100% right, she had perpetual fart smelling face.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Reminds me that I really need to rewatch Thief.

I saw that poo poo when I was like 17 and it was the tits

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BiggerBoat posted:

Reminds me that I really need to rewatch Thief.

I saw that poo poo when I was like 17 and it was the tits

You can make an argument that it is Mann’s best film.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t mind them once a month but doing a whole month of WLM is a drag. They just don’t mine very much comedy from them unless it’s a We Love Movies with Heart kind of movie. A WLMH if you will.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think some of the all-time episodes have been WLM (Its a Wonderful Life and Citizen Kane are in my top 10 episodes ever) and think most of the time they're probably on par with an average WHM episode. But yeah, they're starting to run out of the absolute cream of the crop options. I do think moving it to November was a good call so we can at least get some funny lovely Christmas movies this year though.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

the original WLM month was an incredible run (T2/wonderful life/star wars/back to the future/batman 89) but none of the rest of them have felt as good. still some great episodes in there but on the whole I’m not as enthused about it.

seconding being glad that we’re getting lovely christmas movies again, I’ve really missed eps like santa clause 3 and pottersville

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Oh come on! Last year we got Spider-Man, The Matrix and Casablanca. Home Alone ain't too shabby either? Do those mean nothing?

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Aside from the Miami Vice television show (which is amazing), there isn’t a lot of ridiculous stuff to riff on in Michael Mann’s body of work.

Fake edit: ok, Belushi getting it in the gut is ridiculous.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Eh, the boys watch ~40 lovely movies a year (probably multiple times) for our entertainment, they deserve to watch some good ones.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Yeah, i really kind of zoned out on the Thief episode. There's only so many ways they can say "I love this" without it just getting...boring. There were a few funny bits, but not enough to keep me listening. The Nightmare Before Christmas AD was better because they go a lot looser (giving Jenn poo poo for having the novelization was very funny, and Oogie's gambling addiction), but even that one get a bit too bland. And their WLM can be great if they just go in loose and do the stupid poo poo they normally do, like with the New Hope and Back to the Future episodes.

The Royal Tenenbaums episode will be the first one i willfully skip. Not only do i not really like the movie (which normally doesn't matter, but i won't be able to get through 2+ hours of them praising it), but Andrew's VERY delibarate way of saying "TenenBOWM" will make me eat a bullet . I know it's really pronounced that way, but its hit so hard with the end that it drove me crazy.

But i do not want to come off too negative so I will say I still like the show and look forward to next month.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

Eh, the boys watch ~40 lovely movies a year (probably multiple times) for our entertainment, they deserve to watch some good ones.

something something "I pay $10 a month for their pain, not their pleasure"

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The Royal Tenen

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

dorium posted:

something something "I pay $10 a month for their pain, not their pleasure"

I dunno, I think the Patreon is mostly pleasurable stuff besides some animation damnation stuff. Maybe it’s just these sets of movies cause it’s mostly gushing and not some stupid action movie shenanigans.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

enigmahfc posted:

The Royal Tenen

This guy gets it

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

You can make an argument that it is Mann’s best film.

Yeah, I remember really liking it but I can hardly the first loving thing about it. Found it for free on Tubi so gonna give it a watch.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I like Mann's movies a lot but they're ~deadly loving serious~ which for a property like Miami vice just doesn't mesh well. I turned that one off because gritty realistic Miami vice was too hilarious to me and took me right out of the movie

Edit: I like that they're doing WLM's on not super blockbuster stuff. Like I don't need to be told how much of a masterpiece bladerunner or whatever is, I've seen it a million times and know it's good.

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 10, 2022

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Their WLMs on the Lord of the Rings movies are some of their funniest stuff. Vomiting at the hobbits, Gandalf's hot wings order, ragging on Gimli... excellent stuff.

""Does it cum lava?"

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I remember really liking it but I can hardly the first loving thing about it. Found it for free on Tubi so gonna give it a watch.

I watched it on Tubi (as God intended) before listening to the ep, and while Mann is not my favorite director, Cann kills it in Thief. His scene in the dinner alone is worth watching the movie for.

The Deleter posted:

Their WLMs on the Lord of the Rings movies are some of their funniest stuff. Vomiting at the hobbits, Gandalf's hot wings order, ragging on Gimli... excellent stuff.

""Does it cum lava?"

Their bit about Aragorn and company just opening up and destroying Gandalf because they think he's Suramon really got me. Then a rando archers attacking Gandalf during Helm's Deep got me again.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

I watched it on Tubi (as God intended) before listening to the ep, and while Mann is not my favorite director, Cann kills it in Thief. His scene in the dinner alone is worth watching the movie for.

I remember really liking it and I don't think I've ever seen Caan in a terrible flick.

I need to watch the film and then give the WHM riff a shot because I have no frame of reference and it's not the kind of episode that lends itself well to not having seen it.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'm just happy there's more content from our boys. Whether I like the movie or not, or if I've seen it, still listening to all of it

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This stupid podcast motivated me to finally watch North by Northwest, and I am a better and more cultured individual because of it. WLM rules. WHM rules.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

GrandpaPants posted:

This stupid podcast motivated me to finally watch North by Northwest, and I am a better and more cultured individual because of it. WLM rules. WHM rules.

I highly recommend digging into Hitchcock’s films.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
https://twitter.com/pettyintrigues/status/1591096960400125953?t=KtjuWpRS3NhCp3XKzaXEcw&s=19

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I can be dead too, Mark!!

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Rest in pieces Gallagher

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pretty funny how the Elon digs in the newest Nexus episode are already outdated. They have way more material to work with now than the classic "You are a pedophile!" bit.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Gallagher and Kevin Conroy on the same day. Steve’s going to be heartbroken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

explosivo posted:

Pretty funny how the Elon digs in the newest Nexus episode are already outdated. They have way more material to work with now than the classic "You are a pedophile!" bit.

I was thinking the same thing. They recorded in July, and drat, so much has already changed since then. They made a "barrel chest" bathing suit joke. I forgot that was even a thing.

mweber posted:

Gallagher and Kevin Conroy on the same day. Steve’s going to be heartbroken.

Yeah, drat. Conroy hits especially hard. By all accounts, he was an incredibly nice human being. And the definitive Batman.