Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Does anyone think Netflix has got another year or two at most?

It's got all these other competing streaming services that have all sorts of other things to back them up. Also they've entirely lost their staring match with the theater chains.

I think they're going to be known not as the thing, but the thing that got us to the thing. And remembered fondly!

They can probably cruise on momentum for a while, but they're definitely shaky, cancelling and burying their good and experimental shows and greenlighting the kind of dreck that got people to cut the cords in the first place. With the re-fragmentation of streaming services, it's never been a better time to just go back to piracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

It's got all these other competing streaming services that have all sorts of other things to back them up. Also they've entirely lost their staring match with the theater chains.

I think they're going to be known not as the thing, but the thing that got us to the thing. And remembered fondly!

Unless a lot of those other streaming services actually launch outside the US, Netflix is going to be fine.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Unless a lot of those other streaming services actually launch outside the US, Netflix is going to be fine.

I know Disney+ is planning to open up in Australia, but other than that Netflix is the only one that isn't a local player (with bad UI and no real logic or consistency to what they actually get).

I think the main benefit of a Netflix subscription is actually the one thing they really don't want to say people can do; because they're the only streaming service that really manages to have a worldwide presence, if you've got a VPN then you've got a huge library you can tap into. Chances are pretty good that, if there's something worth watching, Netflix is the provider for it somewhere in the world.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Yeah, I was also going to say this. In northern Europe, Hulu does not work at all, HBO Nordic, Viaplay and CMore has stupidly small libraries, Amazon Prime was impossible to get until like year ago etc. Netflix has heavily down-toned library available but at least that can be bypassed with VPN and such since the account is global.

Also, Netflix is currently the only one which works reliably without any stupid "watch now or lose it forever"-gimmicks and does not just "disappear" the content the second some broadcasting company purchases the TV rights for the region.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

"The thing" is being able to watch what you want when you want without signing up to fifty different streaming services to do so. So "The thing" at the moment is a Netflix plus piracy combo. If Netflix goes it'll just be straight piracy. And we already had that.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Disney hasn't said poo poo about when Disney+ is launching in the UK, probably because they're waiting for their contract with Sky or whoever has the right to stream Disney stuff over here to run out. I'm considering using a VPN to sign-up, but when I tried that with DC Universe to watch Doom Patrol (which nobody over here has picked up, as far as I know) it just wouldn't let me log in. Kept erroring out.

Probably end up pirating The Mandalorian

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Splicer posted:

"The thing" is being able to watch what you want when you want without signing up to fifty different streaming services to do so. So "The thing" at the moment is a Netflix plus piracy combo. If Netflix goes it'll just be straight piracy. And we already had that.

Yeah I understand why these companies want in on the streaming money. But the reason cord cutting blew up in the legal way it did was you could have Netflix and Hulu and be set for media. But now that everyone is pulling their poo poo to try and force the streaming money to go directly to them rather than just get a cut it's swinging back towards piracy as the easier option. And in 2019 it's even easier to pirate now than the early 00s

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Dam talk: dams on Canada's west coast are being blamed for the decline of the local killer whale population, salmon aren't able to reach spawning grounds so their numbers are really low, and the Pacific Northwest orcas only eat salmon. They're all malnourished and starving and most pregnancies are ending in miscarriages as a result. Unless they're able to eat again, they're going to die out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Splicer posted:

There hasn't been a good reason not to pirate all your TV and movies for, like, twenty years now.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Phanatic posted:

There's Del Tacos in Phoenix, which is inexplicable to me.

:psyduck:

They started the chain in California.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Tiggum posted:

There hasn't been a good reason not to pirate all your TV and movies for, like, twenty years now.

When everything was on netflix is was easier than looking for a legit torrent.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PirateDentist posted:

:psyduck:

They started the chain in California.

So did Taco Bell. It's still just as weird as having Subways in Philly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Volcott posted:

Torrent sites are more fragmented now so it's harder to get a PirateBay to just grab your poo poo.

And honestly with streaming around no one's really worked to make a better pirate framework than bittorrents.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Volcott posted:

It still is.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

that place i've never heard of has a whole 60 locations according to wikipedia so I don't know if they count as a 'major fast food chain'

Does 900 locations count because Zaxbys has crinkle fries and theyre good as hell

Their chicken is also better than CFA's and they don't support hate groups as far as I know

but if they do don't tell me i love zaxbys

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Nov 4, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FilthyImp posted:

Torrent sites are more fragmented now so it's harder to get a PirateBay to just grab your poo poo.

And honestly with streaming around no one's really worked to make a better pirate framework than bittorrents.

Bittorrent is no longer necessary.

Bandwidth has gotten cheap enough that direct-download sites can be profitable with banner ads.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Sex Hobbit posted:

Hell, let's expand it to the whole upper Midwest:

716 locations to In-N-Out's 347, thank you!

(i would murder for a basket of these and some cheese curds right now)

I've been to in n out, shake shack and Culver's, and Culver's is easily the best of these places

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Headed to Australia for a week, gonna get myself some of those delicious Aussie KFC fries:

Will document the experience, try and get to Red Rooter and try theirs (maybe Oporto/Ogalo also), and then head back to Milwaukee next week and compare notes against Culvers/Popeye's etc and the sad sack of depressing poo poo that KFC calls "fries" in the US.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Oporto is garbage.

I can't remember what the chips are like at Nandos but the chicken is pretty drat good.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Memento posted:

Oporto is garbage.

I can't remember what the chips are like at Nandos but the chicken is pretty drat good.

Had Nando's fries in Chicago a few weeks back, were pretty drat good with their seasoning. I was always more impressed with the Ogalo burgers over the Oporto ones, but I don't remember much about either of their fries/chips.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I haven't torrented anything since whatcd chomped it and katcr got all shady. Now it's all about invite only forums where people put poo poo up on Mega.

I know a guy who still somehow gets all his movies etc from usenet and swears it's better than any of the other options out there :psyduck:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Limewire is still my go to

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

sarcastx posted:

Headed to Australia for a week, gonna get myself some of those delicious Aussie KFC fries:

Will document the experience, try and get to Red Rooter and try theirs (maybe Oporto/Ogalo also), and then head back to Milwaukee next week and compare notes against Culvers/Popeye's etc and the sad sack of depressing poo poo that KFC calls "fries" in the US.

Looking at that packaging without context I thought they were breaded with cricket powder.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

less than three posted:

Looking at that packaging without context I thought they were breaded with cricket powder.

You must be thinking of New Zealand.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

They mean this

https://twitter.com/BugMeNutrition/status/1100249345792851969

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

less than three posted:

This reminds me.

Most of you folks don't have chicken salt. If you're a fan at all of salty treats, look up a recipe and make some, or get a well reviewed one from Amazon. It's amazing on hot chips.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

sarcastx posted:

Will document the experience, try and get to Red Rooter and try theirs (maybe Oporto/Ogalo also)

Prioritise Schnitz, imo. Their chips are pretty fantastic.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Oh hell yes seconding Schnitz. They're like half way between chips and wedges.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

This is gonna be one of those things I'll have to get my kid (in planning) acclimated to, but I just can't handle even thinking about eating it.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Beachcomber posted:

This is gonna be one of those things I'll have to get my kid (in planning) acclimated to, but I just can't handle even thinking about eating it.

It's going to be completely down to marketing:

E: once you've eaten a value-brand chicken nugget, I think you've already crossed a line in your standards .

Shut up Meg has a new favorite as of 11:28 on Nov 5, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beachcomber posted:

There are perfectly good protein sources for a vegetarian diet.

If you eat bugs, it’s because you want to.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Platystemon posted:

There are perfectly good protein sources for a vegetarian diet.

If you eat bugs, it’s because you want to.

They can also be used in cookies, for example if you drunkenly order cricket powder and need to figure out something to do with it when it arrives (and you've sobered up). Cricket powder snickerdoodles just taste a little nuttier, although the texture was a little gritty.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
How the hell does Taco Bell of all places make such a drat good fast food breakfast?

FlapYoJacks has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Nov 5, 2019

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

ratbert90 posted:

How the hell does Taco Bell of all places make such a drat good fast food breakfast?

They spent decades perfecting burrito technology.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://mashable.com/article/facebook-video-selfies-fight-fake-accounts/

Facebook could use video selfies to fight fake accounts

"The social network is testing a video-based verification system that asks users to record short videos clips of their face in order to "confirm your identity and check that you're a real person," according to newly surfaced screenshots.

According to screenshots posted by Wong, the feature prompts users to create a short video selfie, showing the each side of your face, in order to "check that you're a real person." Though Wong speculates the feature uses facial recognition, it's not clear if the feature is actually identifying faces or merely confirming that it is, in fact, a real human in front of the camera."

I can't imagine too many people would agree to do this. I don't know what would be a better answer to combat fake accounts, but this seems like a crappy idea.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

The breakfast crunchwrap is the pinnacle of the fast food breakfast arms race. It's their moon landing.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

cinni posted:

I can't imagine too many people would agree to do this. I don't know what would be a better answer to combat fake accounts, but this seems like a crappy idea.

Also seems like something a halfway decent head render could defeat unless their poo poo is really super high-tech.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Zuck just wants better face data.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

PhazonLink posted:

Zuck just wants better face data.

It’s this. Stop. Using. Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All you guys freaking out about the government getting your face will be real surprised when you learn about IDs.