Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Agnosticnixie posted:

It honestly struck me as a weird excuse to enforce the strategic meta for multiplayer.

Also I still wish there was a slider for average distance between empires beyond "everyone jammed except that one empire that spawned on the other side" and "lol, enjoy your 50/50 of being either alone or almost inside a fallen empire's boundaries".

There's a really good mod out there called 'Distributed Starts' or something that replaces the clustering with more or less equal spacing, it's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

One time I liberated a slave world and they were all really happy and stayed my tiny ally until I quit because it was going too slow

And that's my liberate story

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Libluini posted:

(It would have been smarter to build new ones and put the scientists on them, but that of course would have destroyed the illusion of STL-travel. :v: )

It would have been smarter to build new science vessels, send them over to the relevant systems and make the exchange there if you wanted to keep the illusion :ssh:

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Liberation used to be a lot more useful when you could just diploannex the newly created rump state but now you have to wait 20 years to do that. Now, its mainly good for breaking up a large hostile empire into more manageable buffer states and depending on your own ethos may be all you can do to cripple a rival. At a minimum, you can just keep invading the same rump state every 10 years and reliberating them until a permanent ethics shift sets in.

Or they collapse under a crushing cycle of the new empire being unable to produce enough food to feed their population, causing an endless fracturing of the rump state as unhappy starving pops continue to rebel into smaller and smaller states. Either way, hey you gave it your best shot and freedom isn't free :911:

I had a similar thing happen to a vassal of mine (couldn't produce enough food, so unhappy pop maluses crippled their ability to do anything including keep their own planets from rebelling). I solved that problem by sending waves of killbots to every planet the vassal owned to "assist" the planets' garrisons against rebels.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 6, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I adjusted settings to push other empires away from my starting area because I kept getting stomped as soon as I visited the system next door. What I'm finding is that it's difficult to take advantage of resources in other systems because they're often scattered in dribs and drabs across multiple planets. It would cost me a fortune in minerals and upkeep to build enough mining stations to capture all the resources in a system, compared to a system where there's just a single planet that has resources.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Liberation is wonderful because yes it's hilariously unstable and a complete crapshoot as to whether it works out in your favour, just like IRL :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been looking for a mod that made ethos change a little quicker but can't find anything. What file would I edit to fiddle with this? I understand there's some yearly or decade based check pops will do to randomly see if they'll switch? I'm hoping to get something that allows shifts to happen at a more noticeable pace.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a few effects that increase how fast they shift so I dunno if you could look them up? I think one's a ruler trait.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

In comparison to CKII I'm finding it very hard to figure out what I should be doing. Am I supposed to just sit in my home system for a few decades and build up a surplus of everything before I try to expand?

EDIT: I need to find my space Ireland where I can learn the game without getting repeatedly stomped.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 6, 2017

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So of course my AE ally has his whole 250k+ fleet attacking the poo poo empire that has maybe 10k, meanwhile I'm the Bad AE is blowing up all my starbases and his dam jump drives and hopping over all my hyperlane defenses (not that they'd be any good).

Currently situation looks ok, I really just want to survive to repair my busted up ringworld since I've never done that before. Gotta get those cheevos!

This is almost exactly what happened in Babylon 5's Great War (which is what the War in Heaven is based on). It's also good strategy (if a bit simple) on the part of the AI: if you have a fleet that's bigger than one of your opponents, attack your that smaller fleet(s) piecemeal before they can reinforce with another, if you don't have a bigger fleet then group yours up. It's why a large federation or group of vassals seems to take forever to do anything and why you have so much trouble catching your opponents fleets in that scenario, everybody is either chasing or running away constantly.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

In comparison to CKII I'm finding it very hard to figure out what I should be doing. Am I supposed to just sit in my home system for a few decades and build up a surplus of everything before I try to expand?

EDIT: I need to find my space Ireland where I can learn the game without getting repeatedly stomped.

Wiz posted:

What part is it that confuses you? Are you playing with the tutorial and doing the tutorial missions?

If you're having trouble coping with all the AI empires, I'd recommend starting on a small map (400 stars) with only 1 regular AI empire and 1 fallen empire. It'll give you a chance to learn the mechanics in peace, a relatively easy first opponent, and then a far more difficult opponent once you're ready.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So I thought you couldn't colonize within someone else's borders? Won the war in heaven, so suddenly 1/4 of the galaxy was empty. I rush over to try and colonize the old FE homeworlds, but I can't colonize because I have to survey first. So I colonize a nearby planet to get the thing in my borders, just to be safe.

But then my overlord comes over and just colonizes the thing. I'm pretty sure I tried building/colonizing in one of my vassal's space and it didn't work...what gives?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was using two science ships to explore, upgrading buildings on Earth, managed to colonize another planet and then pirates popped up and eradicated all my combat ships. I didn't have enough resources to build more than one or two and that allowed the pirates to roam around destroying my mining stations, choking off any chance of responding to them.

Up until that point it felt like I was doing the right thing, gathering info, gathering resources, expanding my civilization, but clearly I was not doing the right thing. What I'm trying to say is that unlike CK II I can't tell if I'm doing what I'm supposed to in this early stage of the game. Am I supposed to avoid spending resources on expansion and just build my navy? From my pirate experience I need at least 10 corvettes to have a chance at holding off one enemy fleet. Or maybe not. I can't tell. Combat was very quick and I didn't get any feedback other than watching all my ships die.

I'm enjoying the game but I feel like I don't know how to give myself a chance to survive encountering a hostile force.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

I was using two science ships to explore, upgrading buildings on Earth, managed to colonize another planet and then pirates popped up and eradicated all my combat ships. I didn't have enough resources to build more than one or two and that allowed the pirates to roam around destroying my mining stations, choking off any chance of responding to them.

Up until that point it felt like I was doing the right thing, gathering info, gathering resources, expanding my civilization, but clearly I was not doing the right thing. What I'm trying to say is that unlike CK II I can't tell if I'm doing what I'm supposed to in this early stage of the game. Am I supposed to avoid spending resources on expansion and just build my navy? From my pirate experience I need at least 10 corvettes to have a chance at holding off one enemy fleet. Or maybe not. I can't tell. Combat was very quick and I didn't get any feedback other than watching all my ships die.

I'm enjoying the game but I feel like I don't know how to give myself a chance to survive encountering a hostile force.

No you are doing the right thing broadly, it's just that the pirate event is kind of silly if you don't know it's coming, what you need to do is build a few extra corvettes in anticipation of it and then intercept them when they're killing a mining station to try and distract a bit of their firepower, otherwise yes they will kill your starter fleet and cost you a lot of money early on.

You win fights by having bigger numbers than the enemy, and the pirate fleet spawns with more than your starter fleet in firepower, so you lose if you don't know about it.

But generally the game does suffer with not having any sort of lines or whatever unless you play hyperlanes only, so getting all your mining stations (and later, starbases) blown up is how wars normally go. It's kind of tedious and hopefully what some of the dev diaries will go some way to fixing.

In the very early game the best defence is to hide behind your spaceport which will blow up most things fairly easily as it has about 1000 fleet power which is way more than a few corvettes can field. After that you want to hide behind interdictor platforms/fortresses and send your fleet to blow up enemies as they engage those. That's basically it for tactics, combat's not the game's strong suit honestly.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 6, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

No you are doing the right thing broadly, it's just that the pirate event is kind of silly if you don't know it's coming, what you need to do is build a few extra corvettes in anticipation of it and then intercept them when they're killing a mining station to try and distract a bit of their firepower, otherwise yes they will kill your starter fleet and cost you a lot of money early on.

You win fights by having bigger numbers than the enemy, and the pirate fleet spawns with more than your starter fleet in firepower, so you lose if you don't know about it.

But generally the game does suffer with not having any sort of lines or whatever unless you play hyperlanes only, so getting all your mining stations (and later, starbases) blown up is how wars normally go. It's kind of tedious and hopefully what some of the dev diaries will go some way to fixing.

In the very early game the best defence is to hide behind your spaceport which will blow up most things fairly easily as it has about 1000 fleet power which is way more than a few corvettes can field. After that you want to hide behind interdictor platforms/fortresses and send your fleet to blow up enemies as they engage those. That's basically it for tactics, combat's not the game's strong suit honestly.

That makes sense and I appreciate the info.

True to Paradox form in my new game my best scientist has become a drug addict and my second best scientist (who had the long life bonus) aged prematurely from stress. :laugh:

EDIT: Off to a much better start, even though I ran into a Fallen Empire early on. They're Isolationists so I hope they'll just leave me alone.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 6, 2017

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

By the way, if you have a Frontier Outpost, don't even bother going after the pirates because their fleet tends to beeline straight for it then dies

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
My early game priority is:

1. Colonize
2. Get to fleet limit
3. Mining stations
4. Power/mineral upgrades
5. Everything else

Fleet limit is very important. Not only does it make the pirate attack trivial, every neighbor makes a determination about whether to attack you based partially on it.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
My early game usually involves:
1. Churning out another 2-3 additional science ships to speed exploration.
2. Exploit all resources in your initial borders/home world.
3. Build 3 more corvettes and hire an admiral in anticipation of the pirate attack
4. Build frontier outposts in mineral rich areas around me.
5. Colonize the few decent planets around me, preferably after getting a exploration unity tech or two.
6. Slowly build my fleet up to the naval cap in anticipation of meeting the first alien empire.
7. Back fill my empire with colonies, freeing up my frontier outposts for the next wave of expansion.

Colonizing too early can ironically cripple your expansion. Early game you need minerals and energy to build ships more than additional population growth. The quickest and cheapest way to get these is to build mining stations offworld. The problem with colonies early on is that the colony ships are expensive to build and maintain, and the colonies themselves provide an immediate penalty to your science and unity generation but take about a decade or so to add real value to your empire. With proper frontier outpost placement you can grab the decent planets to make sure your neighbors don't get them and backfill colonies as needed.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Always prioritise colonisable planets near your neighbours to stop them from expanding towards you. Pay attention to what their planet type is, if you can put one of their starting planets in your territory early on it's a pretty big deal.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Or for a hilariously broken game, play Driven Assimilators on 5x primitives and go the whole game never building a single colony ship. Ride the wings of (pumped up) chance!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It would have been smarter to build new science vessels, send them over to the relevant systems and make the exchange there if you wanted to keep the illusion :ssh:

Oh poo poo, I absolutely did not think of this. :shepface:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I've found about 50% of the time they eventually just switch back. So you take that spiritualist authoritarian empire and liberate them into an egalitarian materialist empire. They are good and your friends, but all their pops are still authoritarian and spiritualist. After many many years a few pops might actually switch to the new state ethos but not enough, and the huge faction pressures result in them embracing authoritarianism or spiritualism. Before you know it they are evil again and hate you.

WarOnTerror.txt

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
"You look worn out friend, have you considered joining a union?"

E: This just makes me want another tech beyond Empire Cap-Com, that gives you access to an "Ostensible" ethic you can pick like civics. For instance you could go "Ostensibly Spiritualist" whoch would give you the diplomatic boosts and temples, but have no unrest or ethic attration, nor block AI. Most importantly, it would allow.yse if civics for.that ethic. Have a Pacifist, Materialist empire, go Ostensibly Xenophobe, go Innternal Perfection, but still be able to have Citizen.Xenos and Refugees. Or Ostensibly Pacifist to double up and get AgIdyll with offensive wardecs.

Playstation 4 fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 6, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My improved strategy worked: when the pirates appeared there were four of them, and my fleet of ten ships was fairly close by and blasted them to pieces. I'm going to keep tossing additional corvettes into the fleet.

Do the pirates have a home base that I should be looking for? I checked the system whose exit they were closest to and there was nothing there.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Yes they do. Check systems near/in your territory that have asteroids.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shoiYDp7EEA&t=1770s

My dumb monkey brain doesn't know what that is a reference to

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Baron Porkface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shoiYDp7EEA&t=1770s

My dumb monkey brain doesn't know what that is a reference to

2001 surely

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/927529085215105025

:bisonyes:

Spreading spacecommunism!

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Missing 'Eat' option.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if 'claims' implies some sort of casus belli system.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Aethernet posted:

I wonder if 'claims' implies some sort of casus belli system.

It also could simply mean that every planet you occupy is now yours.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Hey, I remember this war declaration system from a game called Victoria II!

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

binge crotching posted:

This would be a welcome change. I'm playing a devouring swarm game right now and it feels a bit funny to be like "ok well we're a ravenous hive mind that strips all before us in a terrifying orgy of consumption, but sheesh we also care about the rule of law, so we'll wait to eat you until we have a treaty signed. It's only polite!"

If you were able to partially apply policy to territory you occupy, a-la Hearts of Iron, that would be more realistic and interesting, I think.

Bonus thought: Wiz, make it so Pops can work tiles as they grow, with the production multiplied by the % they've grown. Then, make purging work as "negative growth", so pops actually shrink one at a time rather than just going from 100% to 0% over night. This would add some interesting urgency to the new war system. This would also make sense as it would take longer to purge a full world rather than a startup colony.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
No war score listed for conquest indicates to me the it might change the more worlds/systems you take. There might also be various means to reduce that score cost by justifying claims in advance, or maybe it could be based on prior ownership, majority species or ethos on worlds.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LogisticEarth posted:

Bonus thought: Wiz, make it so Pops can work tiles as they grow, with the production multiplied by the % they've grown. Then, make purging work as "negative growth", so pops actually shrink one at a time rather than just going from 100% to 0% over night.
Wiz this would be super good.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

No war score listed for conquest indicates to me the it might change the more worlds/systems you take. There might also be various means to reduce that score cost by justifying claims in advance, or maybe it could be based on prior ownership, majority species or ethos on worlds.

I'm going to say the new system is very likely to work like EU4's.

Conquest then would allow you to seize planets worth up to 100% in warscore, with the exact planets decided in peace terms (either restricted only to claimed planets, or with claimed planets costing less warscore to annex).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 6, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
^^^
Haven't played EU4, how does it work?

The word "Claimed" is capitalized in the war goal description, so it might have special meaning.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

binge crotching posted:

Doesn't seem likely. Note at the bottom left of the screenshot the new "Manage Claims" button.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Randarkman posted:

I'm going to say the new system is very likely to work like EU4's.

I hope we get some sort of intervention option as well, enforce-peace style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

^^^
Haven't played EU4, how does it work?

The word "Claimed" is capitalized in the war goal description, so it might have special meaning.

In EU4 you can get claims (I guess capital C there as well, because game mechanic) on provinces through various means. If you have a claim then you can use the Conquest CB against a specific province, the goal being to seize it (warscore ticking towards defender or attacker dependent on it being reached) then when it comes time to peace out you can actually impose any terms you see fit from annexations of territory (Conquest granting a warscore discount and incurring less agressive expansion for annexing provinces you have a claim on) to war reparations to lump sums of cash or even vassalization (of course those wouldn't be discounted for Conquest CB).

Some CBs then also restrict what you can claim in a peace (example: Humiliate Rival does not allow you to seize land), whilst others allow special terms to be imposed (such as forcing the war target to enter a personal union).

Captain Oblivious posted:

Doesn't seem likely. Note at the bottom left of the screenshot the new "Manage Claims" button.

Yeah, the talk of "Claims" smells mightily of an EU4-type CB system.

e: That said. Claims and the talk of sensor range and such in the last dev diary might mean we are going to see something like an actual espionage/covert diplomacy thing added to Stellaris. Which would be terrific. Even though EU4's espionage system has never been that great.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 6, 2017

• Locked thread