Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Atrocious Joe posted:

instead of the backwards bourgeois and feudal elements that the Chinese Cultural Revolution targeted, the West is purging itself of anyone who believes we live in a society. The only reality is your personal freedom, and that freedom is expressed through the purchase of consumer goods.

That would be true if they weren’t doing it during a deadly pandemic, ironically exposing the Freedom Consumers to the virus. The people who believe in society least will catch covid the most.

Having said that, the media and government messaging is 1000% that, which is incredibly frustrating and alienating. You sign away your life for Queen and Country, get hosed up, come home and find the first is sheltering her pedophile son and the second doesn’t exist.

What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/h...ba-76a801746e9d

quote:

Nampa newborn with COVID-19 fighting for her life in the hospital

When things took a turn for the worse this week, seven-week-old Ostara Clure was rushed from Boise to Salt Lake City to receive ECMO treatment.

BOISE, Idaho — Seven-week-old Ostara Clure was one of at least 20 kids hospitalized with COVID-19 in Idaho as of Monday.
The infant from Nampa was fighting for her life at St. Luke's Children's Hospital in Boise, but things took a turn for the worse and she was rushed to Salt Lake City on Wednesday.

She needs extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), a treatment giving COVID-19 patients on the brink of death, the best chance of survival.

Ostara suffered a Code Blue and her oxygen tanked Thursday morning. As of Thursday evening, she was stable.
Two days earlier, from their hospital room in St. Luke's Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Ostara's mother Carli Valentine felt exhausted and defeated.

"Right now she's kind of going off the walls and it gets more and more traumatizing," Valentine said over Zoom. "We're just trying to let her get better but things have been going up and down."

She cannot believe her baby girl's life started out this way.

"There's no connecting, there's no enjoyable moments," Valentine said. "[She's] just a small baby and she shows us how hard she's fighting but it's hard to watch and be here every day and see how hard she has to fight."

On Jan. 20, their life spun into chaos. Ostara was diagnosed with both COVID-19 and pneumonia. At six-and-a-half weeks old, she woke up struggling to breathe.

They took her to the doctor, where Ostara was then rushed to the emergency room with a spiking heart rate.

"Trying to get an IV in, trying to get a bunch of blood tests done and all I could do is sit there and cry. I couldn't breathe, I just cried," Valentine said.

Valentine and Ostara's dad Ashton have stayed in the baby's hospital room around the clock for a week, away from their other two little ones.

"Before, I didn't believe in the whole COVID. I didn't do the masks, didn't do anything and now it's affected my daughter, my kids. The other two came up positive. It's affected all of our family around us," Valentine said. "It changes all our beliefs about it and how scary it really is. Because we're now worried about every single person in our family while we're also worried about our daughter who's fighting for her life with it."

Ostara is unable to breathe on her own. Her heart, lungs and hydration levels are so bad she was put on oxygen and IV fluids.

St. Luke's Children's System Medical Director Dr. Kenny Bramwell said Ostara is one of the worst COVID patients they have seen.
Bramwell said her condition deteriorated over the first few days on the pediatric floor, so she was moved to the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU).

There, he said Ostara continued to get worse despite maximal therapies and different types of ventilators.

That is when her PICU team decided to transfer her to Salt Lake, where she could get on a cardio-pulmonary bypass system called ECMO.
Bramwell said Boise is not a big enough city to have this advanced COVID treatment for kids.

"This is certainly a very heroic measure for a very sick two-month-old child and I'm hopeful that it will be of help," Bramwell added.

In line with national trends, Idaho Department of Health and Welfare data shows more Idaho kids are in the hospital now than at any other time during the pandemic. It is fueled by the Omicron variant surge.

Bramwell said week after week the hospital is seeing infants as young as two weeks old, up to 17-year-olds, severely ill with COVID.

While children make up a small percentage of all COVID-19 patients admitted to hospitals nationwide, Bramwell said we cannot just focus on those numbers.

Children can get multi-system inflammatory syndrome (MIS-C) weeks after infection, suffer from debilitating long-COVID, or spread the virus to vulnerable family members.

Bramwell said the absolute best protection is to get vaccinated - especially because our youngest cannot yet.

"COVID, we feel, at almost all ages is largely preventable with community and families being vaccinated," Bramwell said. "In many cases it's incumbent on parents, siblings and grandparents to do all they can to protect helpless infants."

"It's real, it's life changing," Valentine said. "Definitely be careful; do the hand-washing, wear face masks. Do whatever you need to do to protect yourself."

"I don't think you can choose to not get this anymore. I think you can only choose how ready you are for when it hits you," Bramwell added.

Valentine and her family ask everyone to keep their little girl in their prayers as she continues to fight for her life.

They also started this GoFundMe to help with rent, food and gas while they are in the hospital. Valentine and Ashton cannot work or afford these climbing medical bills.

If Ostara gets out, they will have an extremely long road of recovery ahead.

Suddenly COVID is real when your newborn is dying from it. loving chuds

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the feedback, folks. I pulled the trigger on it, and will be posting some Doomer Drip when it arrives

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Speaking of elastomeric respirators do we have any Advantage crew in here? Can anyone recommend a model vs the Secure Click? I don't care about not having an exhalation valve since no one is going to listen to me when I tell them my big gently caress off mask doesn't have one anyway, so I might as well have one for comfort.

I posted about the MSA 420 I just bought, I prefer it to my Secureclick, but I don't know if it has enough advantages over the 7500 series to justify the slightly higher price and more expensive filters. It's lighter and the facepiece is softer and has more give especially in the nose bridge. The straps feel nicer and the halo strap at the top is beefier and higher quality. Cons: the quick release mechanism doesn't really work as well as the 7503, although I don't find quick releases generally to be useful unless you are also wearing a helmet or hardhat, and I didn't get filters that were waterproof like the 3M 7093 filters are, although they probably exist. The filters are about the same price as the Secureclick.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3976692&userid=143660&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post520863743

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen
does anyone know if theres been any papers about long covid and the hygiene hypothesis? i've only seen them related to acute COVID symptoms where not much was found significantly, though there are obviously tons of confounding factors there

essentially, the hygiene hypothesis relates the rise in autoimmune disorders in the developed world to the decline in childhood infections as well as lower levels of parasitic infections, with the idea being that insufficient infection/stress on the immune system leads to dysregulation, especially of the systems that downregulate your immune responses. almost as if your body, with no external enemies to fight, turns on itself. i believe theres also been some benefits seen with introducing harmless parasites to combat allergies/asthma, helminth therapy, but im not super well versed in the subject. allergies are caused by the anti-parasite system gone haywire so i think the connection is strongest there

im basically curious as to whether long covid, which seems to be a dysregulated immune system issue, could also be affected by exposure to pathogens in general, and therefore you'd expect to see higher prevalence of long covid in the same areas you see higher autoimmune disease and lower overall pathogen/parasite burden

dunno if that means you can just get yourself riddled with worms to become indestructible but it'd be interesting to look into

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

hekaton posted:

does anyone know if theres been any papers about long covid and the hygiene hypothesis? i've only seen them related to acute COVID symptoms where not much was found significantly, though there are obviously tons of confounding factors there

essentially, the hygiene hypothesis relates the rise in autoimmune disorders in the developed world to the decline in childhood infections as well as lower levels of parasitic infections, with the idea being that insufficient infection/stress on the immune system leads to dysregulation, especially of the systems that downregulate your immune responses. almost as if your body, with no external enemies to fight, turns on itself. i believe theres also been some benefits seen with introducing harmless parasites to combat allergies/asthma, helminth therapy, but im not super well versed in the subject. allergies are caused by the anti-parasite system gone haywire so i think the connection is strongest there

im basically curious as to whether long covid, which seems to be a dysregulated immune system issue, could also be affected by exposure to pathogens in general, and therefore you'd expect to see higher prevalence of long covid in the same areas you see higher autoimmune disease and lower overall pathogen/parasite burden

dunno if that means you can just get yourself riddled with worms to become indestructible but it'd be interesting to look into

Gonna be real funny when your doc prescribes you pinworms to stop your long covid.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

hekaton posted:

i believe theres also been some benefits seen with introducing harmless parasites to combat allergies/asthma, helminth therapy,

I usually lurk here but this was a record scratch moment for me.

edit not only the name but because Phage therapy is something I've been looking into for work (its the reverse where intentional viruses destroy bacteria)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pingui posted:

(..)

As compared to Danish direct COVID deaths in the same period:

I should probably editorialize a bit on the point. The excess deaths that are not attributed to COVID have significantly spiked during this winter as opposed to last winter, the risk assessment report states this is presumed to be due to Delta, which would implicitly mean COVID deaths are substantially under counted. In the weeks where we see an excess mortality of 40% over last years, the nominal COVID deaths are ~1/3 of the year prior. Implying an under count of factor 4.

That does not mesh with the way things are usually conducted here in Denmark (this is not a conspiracy), I can see a couple of options:
1) The excess death data is wrong - unlikely as it is referred to in the report as correct
2) Danes are dying in record numbers for reasons completely unrelated to COVID - doubtful, we've had a partial lockdown in the period and it is centered around that, rather than before the surge.
3) The hospital system has collapsed already and people are dying for other reasons - likely a partial explanation at least. There is a massive backlog of care needed, due to a combination of COVID and nurse strikes during the summer.
4) It isn't a priority to properly categorize deaths as COVID induced - maybe a very small part of the explanation.
5) Excess deaths are essentially COVID induced but the connection isn't made to COVID - probably a partial explanation, deaths are only COVID deaths if they happen within 28 days of a positive (iirc). Though the question then remains: why now?

I don't have a good answer, but that is quite a substantial excess death count not directly attributed to COVID and the timing lines up with this winter wave. It is also a bit odd that the report insists that this is due to Delta, even though the deaths aren't registered as COVID deaths. I guess we will see in the coming weeks if the excess deaths remain high, once the numbers are updated.

Pingui fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 28, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

genericnick posted:

Looking forward, not backwards.

yeah it's gonna be this

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Glumwheels posted:

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/h...ba-76a801746e9d

Suddenly COVID is real when your newborn is dying from it. loving chuds

Nothing is real until it impacts me personally

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

T-Paine posted:

Nothing is real until it impacts me personally

Adding it to the stack with "The only moral abortion is my abortion"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol mastershakeman got threadbanned. fuckin rekt

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Love that I can hear people all around me coughing =)

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Oh, yeah someone tested positive in my office (It's one big room) yesterday. I was told I would know if I was exposed. lol.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lacrosse posted:

just let everyone take off their masks and poo poo all their intestines out with ivermectin and drink all their piss I don't give a gently caress

the faster these brunchers become permanently crippled by long covid the faster I don't have to listen to them whine anymore. It's a free country and we should let all these goddamn idiots live their lovely loving lives for however long or short that may be. Let these people get their cheeseburger lungs because they needed to watch spooderman in the theater, let them never be able to walk up a flight of stairs without an oxygen tank because they needed to have their Applebee's, let them stroke out on the shitter because they needed to spend 10 hours in line at Disney for a stupid goddamn popcorn bucket. Accelerationism is the way; the faster this gets worse the faster it gets better. We should be thanking all these European countries for dropping all their precautions, now we get to see omicron's TRUE power

I know this sounds cold and I'm sorry for all the immunocompromised people who are suffering right now, I'm one of them so I know how it feels, but if this is the way it's going to be then I'm going to revel in the destruction of this lovely world I've been forced to live in. Bring it on so that the future maybe has a chance at being better because the status quo will never change until it burns the gently caress down

I'm ready to watch this world end. We don't need no water, let the mother fucker burn.

BURN MOTHERFUCKER

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

hekaton posted:

the parasites are not harmless. the internet has leapt on this idea that you can cure allergies by giving yourself tapeworms but proper clinical studies do not bear this out. there is likely some clinical treatment that could some day be developed by looking at the methods by which - if they exist - some of these parasites modulate immune response and evade defenses

the last i looked it up, though admittedly it's been a while, the hygiene / immune thing is not given the credence it once was. anyway,

do not. i repeat, do not, give yourself worms to own covid

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

from MSA's product literature:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I usually lurk here but this was a record scratch moment for me.

edit not only the name but because Phage therapy is something I've been looking into for work (its the reverse where intentional viruses destroy bacteria)

Worms are extremely effective immunosuppressants, they have evolved to shut down the hosts immune system just the right amount so that the worms can live in you forever without making you so sick that you die.

However, immunosuppression makes people more likely to die of COVID. For what it's worth, it looks like if you have worms and get COVID, treating your worm infection is a good idea to help your odds. There's been a couple of studies of reasonable quality that show Ivermectin helps with COVID in countries that have high worm infection rates, that all fail to replicate in countries without worms. About 2.5 billion humans are full of worms right now.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Am I full of worms!?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My poo poo's in order and I'm ready to go and this poo poo is so much better than adjusting an N95 or a KN95 that I'm not sure why I didn't do this months ago.

I got the secure click and I didn’t like it at all, so it sits on the shelf as backup for the future. too heavy. what’s a 3m model that isn’t like that?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zurtilik posted:

Am I full of worms!?

african or european worms

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 77 days!
Ah, thank you.

I must have missed this first time around.

Hashy posted:

I don't remember the thread picking up on this and it can't hurt to post it again

https://mobile.twitter.com/denise_dewald/status/1486070928060600323

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Worms are extremely effective immunosuppressants, they have evolved to shut down the hosts immune system just the right amount so that the worms can live in you forever without making you so sick that you die.

However, immunosuppression makes people more likely to die of COVID. For what it's worth, it looks like if you have worms and get COVID, treating your worm infection is a good idea to help your odds. There's been a couple of studies of reasonable quality that show Ivermectin helps with COVID in countries that have high worm infection rates, that all fail to replicate in countries without worms. About 2.5 billion humans are full of worms right now.

iirc isn't that even how ivermectin became a thing in the west? didn't india prescribe it for exactly this reason in some of the poorer parts of the country

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

Am I full of worms!?

Sooner or later.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

Am I full of worms!?

you can give yourself bleach enemas to slough off your intestinal lining and post pictures of it to the internet to talk about all the worms you expel

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Europeanized Killer Humans!

Apr 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

I got the secure click and I didn’t like it at all, so it sits on the shelf as backup for the future. too heavy. what’s a 3m model that isn’t like that?

The 6200 is pretty light

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lovelyn posted:

Reminds me of a recent patient I had. Came in for RLQ pain, turns out it was his appendix! He refuses surgery because he doesn't trust doctors (not sure why he came in), refused a covid swab because he didn't want his personal information sent to Biden who would then use it for experiments.

Then his appendix ruptures, and it's even more of a medical emergency. We need to get him to surgery to get his appendix out, and all surgeries require a covid swab. He declines repeatedly. We finally manage to get the test waived (we'd just presume positive and treat him as such), and he still declines. He agrees to antibiotics, even though he's "allergic to all of them." Then declines antibiotics. He still refuses surgery. Then agrees to surgery if it can wait till Monday.

Anyway he coded a couple times and sustained anoxic brain damage, is now septic and on a vent (and confirmed covid positive!)

This is a massive reinforcement of my assumption that anyone I interact with that doesn't automatically wear a mask without asking or that is an adult and not vaccinated should be treated as if they are currently contagious at all times because they are probably an order of magnitude more likely to be sick than someone vaxxed and that masks by default.

And as much as I hate how politicized masks have become it has made it extremely easy to identify the hardcore right wing crazy people among family and coworkers. Even most of the Fox News watcher crowd is vaccinated and will mask if asked. You gotta go further right than that before you really run in to the antivaxxers and people who want to make a scene about refusing to mask up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

Europeanized Killer Humans!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mawarannahr posted:

I like the 6502, but the 6200 is slightly lighter, by like twenty grams.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

For real, though, is there an efficacy difference between the way I had the filters in the first pic vs swept back?

I can’t tell if this is a bit or not, but I could see the downward position making poo poo like seatbelts, backpacks, and looking at your phone a lot more unpleasant than they need to be. If it’s not a bit and you need to quickly swap spent filters for some reason in the future, sustained tear gas or intense smoke or something impossible like that, the filters and the masks both have little lines on them, and if you just line those up and remember righty tighty, you’ll get perfect swept back filters every time. Your filters are entirely fine for covid purposes and will last you months at least, don’t worry. Look at different ones for the other problems though.

Welcome to good mask. Something you should know about those 7093 filters is that it’s unintuitive to do a “is poo poo getting in here” check, but it is also easy! Put your mask on and pinch them a few times, they’ll make creaking sounds, and your ability to inhale will go down as you get closer to what you’re looking for. There’s a sweet spot on the back third of the filters where, when compressed, no air should get through at all. Your mask should collapse to your face a little as you try to breathe through it, and nothing should come in, or you’ll find some obvious holes where air is getting through. Don’t inhale so hard that holes are created, we’re just trying to see if there are any with your normal breathing. Once you’ve got the filters closed and have determined air isn’t getting in that way, you’re done with the hard part! After that, just cover your air come out hole, gently but comprehensively, and exhale normally. If your mask puffs up a little and nothing gets out, you’re good! Repeat this a few times at different head angles and make sure everything’s working. If either of these tests fail to work, just play around with your straps for a few minutes and see if you can fix the problem. If you can’t, you may need a different mask.

Make sure to do these each time you pop your mask on. You’ll get that motion down to about two breath cycles before you know it. After you’re good at that, all you really have to do is clean it sometimes and slap some new filters on there in six months or whenever they get hard to breathe through. They truly are cheap, easy to maintain, long lasting, effective approaches to PPE. The only bad part is how other people react to them, and that’s only bad until you realize it’s sort of fun.

Apr 7, 2003

Lovelyn posted:

Reminds me of a recent patient I had. Came in for RLQ pain, turns out it was his appendix! He refuses surgery because he doesn't trust doctors (not sure why he came in), refused a covid swab because he didn't want his personal information sent to Biden who would then use it for experiments.

Then his appendix ruptures, and it's even more of a medical emergency. We need to get him to surgery to get his appendix out, and all surgeries require a covid swab. He declines repeatedly. We finally manage to get the test waived (we'd just presume positive and treat him as such), and he still declines. He agrees to antibiotics, even though he's "allergic to all of them." Then declines antibiotics. He still refuses surgery. Then agrees to surgery if it can wait till Monday.

Anyway he coded a couple times and sustained anoxic brain damage, is now septic and on a vent (and confirmed covid positive!)

Lol

Apr 7, 2003

Real Mean Queen posted:

I can’t tell if this is a bit or not, but I could see the downward position making poo poo like seatbelts, backpacks, and looking at your phone a lot more unpleasant than they need to be.

i fixed it, i fixed it

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

i fixed it, i fixed it

Read my words about pressure checks, it’s important to do those

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Can't believe PFC wore his filters wrong. He should be threadbanned.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zurtilik posted:

Can't believe PFC wore his filters wrong. He should be threadbanned.

Special gang tag: Insecure Clique

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Oglethorpe posted:

I like how he looks like he’s getting away with something

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I watched a movie the other night called Take Shelter where Micheal Shannon has nightmares that real bad poo poo is about to happen.

Of course everyone else thinks he's crazy because he shows up late for brunch because he stopped off to buy canned goods, or built a tornado shelter. There was more to it, and I think it would be a better movie if they had leaned more into the mental illness makes unreasonable things seem reasonable.

I keep thinking about one scene where he pulls over on the side of the road to look at some cloud to cloud lightning, and says "is anyone seeing this?" Because it really does feel like I'm the only one seeing that poo poo is really bad, as people are randomly just missing for 5 days, and it takes forever to get materials, or even just the random poo poo missing at the grocery store

Apr 7, 2003

Oglethorpe posted:

MSA is bsaed in Pittsburgh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

We've been doing appendectomies since the 1880s and the fact that people are refusing them now because of Fox News is some insane bad poo poo lmao