Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Still trying to remember which one of you said "Sid is the very definition of a galoot."

Gavok.

I seem to remember Sid bailing on an indy booking because of being on a no fly list? The promoter seemed dubious of the explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I seem to remember Sid bailing on an indy booking because of being on a no fly list? The promoter seemed dubious of the explanation.
Softball season probably started

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Better Than You posted:

Softball season probably started

I know you're joking but its absolutely possible

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Gavok.

He bailed on AIW because Sid didn't wanna go so he made up some insane excuse so Thorne could make some podcast bucks off the whole shitshow.

I think the actual story was Sid hurt his knee and so rather than decide to say "sid's hurt, soz" it became a funny thing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sid will always be my hero for having his first match back at the same house show that Warrior got fired for no showing. I was so bummed about Warrior, having Sid show up as a surprise helped save the night.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sid called himself the master and the ruler of the world and he was totally right

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
The (one of the) best thing(s) about SID is when he'd let his fists getting bumped by a gaggle of crazied fans in the WWF.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember when the MSG crowd turned on HBK and wanted Sid to destroy him?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Sid had incredible charisma and was kind of a cool character on promos, but when writers of the day talk about it being wild that he kept getting chances it wasn't just "he sucked."

Sid would literally no show to play softball, walked out of companies on the regular, got into fights with other talent (including stabbing Arn Anderson with scissors) and on top of this had to be paid top dollar despite never really drawing.

All of these things are very cool, but it's wild companies kept paying him because he was tall and muscular.

The fact he's one of the few to hold both the WCW and WWE titles even though he his runs came when both companies weren't drawing super well is amazing

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

overmind2000 posted:

WCW was so much better than current WWE in every way
WCW ruled
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuSSXIxxgxQ

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The fact he's one of the few to hold both the WCW and WWE titles even though he his runs came when both companies weren't drawing super well is amazing
If you look at the WCW championship as distinct from the NWA Heavyweight Championship and starting in 1991, I think more people who held the WCW belt also held the WWF/E world title than didn't:

Won Both
1. Ric Flair
2. Hulk Hogan
3. The Giant
4. Randy Savage
5. Goldberg
6. Kevin Nash
7. Bret Hart
8. Chris Benoit*
9. Sid Vicious
10. Booker T

Only WCW
1. Lex Luger*
2. Sting
3. Vader*
4. Ron Simmons
5. Diamond Dallas Page
6. Jeff Jarrett
7. David Arquette
8. Scott Steiner
9. Vince Russo

Two of the WCW-Only guys were penciled in to win the WWF belt before plans changed, and two of them were non-wrestlers. Chris Benoit's WCW title win kind of got erased from the books before he got erased from the books in general, and Booker/Goldberg didn't win the WWE belt until after WCW ceased to exist, but there's more parity there than I expected.

I was going to look up if there are there any WCW championship holders (inclusive of all titles) that are actively wrestling right now besides Chris Jericho, Dustin Rhodes and Rey Mysterio but the answer is yes, way more than I thought considering the company folded almost two decades ago:

Former WCW title holders by number of matches in 2019
Jushin Liger (113 matches)
Shinjiro Otani (104 matches)
Ultimo Dragon (103 matches)
Psicosis (68 matches)
Juventud Guerrera (54 matches)
Rey Mysterio (52 matches)
PCO (44 matches)
Chavo Guerrero (17 matches)
Scott Steiner (14 matches)
Great Muta (14 matches)
David Arquette (13 matches)
Chris Jericho (12 matches)
Disco Inferno (11 matches)
Dustin Rhodes (10 matches)
Crowbar (7 matches)
Jeff Jarrett (6 matches)
Buff Bagwell (5 matches)
Meng (4 matches)
Jim Duggan (4 matches)
Brian Knobbs (3 matches)
Rick Steiner (3 matches)
Goldberg (2 matches)

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 11, 2020

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HZGr1K00TM

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

Psicosis (68 matches)
PCO (44 matches)
Great Muta (14 matches)
Crowbar (7 matches)
Jeff Jarrett (6 matches)
Buff Bagwell (5 matches)
Meng (4 matches)
Jim Duggan (4 matches)
Brian Knobbs (3 matches)
Rick Steiner (3 matches)
Goldberg (2 matches)

i literally quoted this to say "you forgot about David Arquette's match with Nick Gage" and then looked up a bit :stare: he wrestled 13 times last year???

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

jesus WEP posted:

i literally quoted this to say "you forgot about David Arquette's match with Nick Gage" and then looked up a bit :stare: he wrestled 13 times last year???

Arquette has heavily got back into wrestling, and from all accounts is pretty entertaining.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Can he actually wrestle though?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

From the same show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2R0v1I_-ys

I have to wonder if Sting sauntering away after his vicious bat attack was just because he's so frickin' done with WCW. I've never heard a bad word about the Stinger as a person, I feel bad for how his loyalty broke him.

Same happened to Tony too, clearly.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

ChrisBTY posted:

Can he actually wrestle though?

Eh. He can work, but I'd call him "entertaining" rather than "good".

He had a match against Jungle Boy at Bar Wrestling that was scrappy but enjoyable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAfmQfAjHhE

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
David Arquette has extremely old punk rock guy energy. Did not expect that.

NikkolasKing posted:

I have to wonder if Sting sauntering away after his vicious bat attack was just because he's so frickin' done with WCW.
WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT?!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Edge & Christian posted:

If you look at the WCW championship as distinct from the NWA Heavyweight Championship and starting in 1991, I think more people who held the WCW belt also held the WWF/E world title than didn't:

Won Both
1. Ric Flair
2. Hulk Hogan
3. The Giant
4. Randy Savage
5. Goldberg
6. Kevin Nash
7. Bret Hart
8. Chris Benoit*
9. Sid Vicious
10. Booker T

Only WCW
1. Lex Luger*
2. Sting
3. Vader*
4. Ron Simmons
5. Diamond Dallas Page
6. Jeff Jarrett
7. David Arquette
8. Scott Steiner
9. Vince Russo

Two of the WCW-Only guys were penciled in to win the WWF belt before plans changed, and two of them were non-wrestlers. Chris Benoit's WCW title win kind of got erased from the books before he got erased from the books in general, and Booker/Goldberg didn't win the WWE belt until after WCW ceased to exist, but there's more parity there than I expected.

I was going to look up if there are there any WCW championship holders (inclusive of all titles) that are actively wrestling right now besides Chris Jericho, Dustin Rhodes and Rey Mysterio but the answer is yes, way more than I thought considering the company folded almost two decades ago:

Psicosis (68 matches)
PCO (44 matches)
Great Muta (14 matches)
Crowbar (7 matches)
Jeff Jarrett (6 matches)
Buff Bagwell (5 matches)
Meng (4 matches)
Jim Duggan (4 matches)
Brian Knobbs (3 matches)
Rick Steiner (3 matches)
Goldberg (2 matches)

you forgot Meng

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Halloween Jack posted:

David Arquette has extremely old punk rock guy energy. Did not expect that.

WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT?!

David Arquette is having a great career... just in reverse.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Kvantum posted:

David Arquette is having a great career... just in reverse.

He wrestles on a bunch of Indies, has a few WWE appearances before going to WCW where he wins the title in the last match of his career?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Rusty Shackelford posted:

He wrestles on a bunch of Indies, has a few WWE appearances before going to WCW where he wins the title in the last match of his career?

Yeah, pretty much. At least a decent indy darling career.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The Shaddup is still one of the great wcw moments

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Never trust a man from HollywoooooooooOOOOOOOAAAAAZZZAAAAAP!!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I want to assure you that this is untrue, both in that the Faces of Fear live forever in my heart, and also he's in the post quoted in your post.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If he's not doing it because he needs money and isn't holding down or replacing an indy talent, I say good on Arquette. I doubt anyone's busting down his door for movie parts and he seems to enjoy having matches.

This goes for anyone still wrestling that's just doing it for fun or extra supplemental money; life's too short not to have fun.

The Wrestler still gets to me.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If he's not doing it because he needs money and isn't holding down or replacing an indy talent, I say good on Arquette. I doubt anyone's busting down his door for movie parts and he seems to enjoy having matches.

This goes for anyone still wrestling that's just doing it for fun or extra supplemental money; life's too short not to have fun.

The Wrestler still gets to me.

Hell, it's only been like the last five years or so you wouldn't find Funk and Lawler having matches on the weekends, often with each other, and they've both saved their money.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Randaconda posted:

Hell, it's only been like the last five years or so you wouldn't find Funk and Lawler having matches on the weekends, often with each other, and they've both saved their money.

There was a "match" at some sports game last year with Lawler, Rikishi, and the Steiners. Also Buff was there for whatever reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1-rebuMi8w

I'm amazed Rikishi can do anything at this point.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

There was a "match" at some sports game last year with Lawler, Rikishi, and the Steiners. Also Buff was there for whatever reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1-rebuMi8w

I figured Buff would be too gimped up by his neck to do anything at his age

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Why do I keep thinking he's dead?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Thinking of Yokozuna?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
No, and I'm not thinking of Umaga either.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rosey?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Rosey's dead too? Son of a bitch

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

well hes got two dead cousins and a dead younger brother

Edge & Christian posted:

I want to assure you that this is untrue, both in that the Faces of Fear live forever in my heart, and also he's in the post quoted in your post.

The source I was looking at had Meng at 1 not 4

My bad

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Randaconda posted:

Lawler wrestled Mance Warner at a GCW/BLP show over the summer, and regularly works for Northeast Wrestling in Connecticut.

Hah, apparently he worked a show where Luchasaurus appeared, and Moxley and Darby Allin tagged. https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=242753

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was gonna say Funk seems to be a wrestler the way other men are alcoholics, but that's most wrestlers.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

well hes got two dead cousins and a dead younger brother

The source I was looking at had Meng at 1 not 4

My bad
It's kind of tough to actually figure out who had "more" matches of these old guys, because someone like Chris Jericho "only" had twelve matches, but all of them were televised for major promotions, some were main events, many of them were 20+ minute singles matches.

Meanwhile Scott Steiner had 14 matches, most of them were 4-6-10 person tag matches on indies or things like a six minute match against Hornswoggle, which is more active from a strict "number of times the bell rung and Scott Steiner was an official competitor in a wrestling match somewhere" but ultimately a lot less work than Jericho or Dustin or some of the other folks put in.

For what it's worth, the four matches I found for Meng were:

1) The Dark Honor Rumble at the ROH/NJPW Supershow
2) A Meng & Barbarian vs. "Big Dick" Devan Drake and Kujo tag at a WPW show
3) "The Blood Hunter" defeating Meng at a GNW show
4) An eight man tag where Ernest the Cat Miller, Glacier, Meng, and Power Plant washout Luther Biggs beat four locals in Orlando for a promotion with one recorded event and with the following message posted on its Facebook:

quote:

If you hear stories about Sunray Pro Wrestling from 2005, they are true. I bought Sunray from Mike Tyler in early 2006, he was arrested for molesting teen boys almost a year later. No one had ideas of what was happening until the police were involved. Someone sent text or emails to City of Dundee and that event had to be canceled. I would like to continue with Sunray Pro Wrestling. If you continue with negative post, I can't keep Sunray alive. Decide and let me know.

If I were your source I'm not sure which one of these I'd actually count as a match. The Rumble, I guess?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

I believe you mean YOU-MANGA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Edge & Christian posted:

It's kind of tough to actually figure out who had "more" matches of these old guys, because someone like Chris Jericho "only" had twelve matches, but all of them were televised for major promotions, some were main events, many of them were 20+ minute singles matches.

Meanwhile Scott Steiner had 14 matches, most of them were 4-6-10 person tag matches on indies or things like a six minute match against Hornswoggle, which is more active from a strict "number of times the bell rung and Scott Steiner was an official competitor in a wrestling match somewhere" but ultimately a lot less work than Jericho or Dustin or some of the other folks put in.

For what it's worth, the four matches I found for Meng were:

1) The Dark Honor Rumble at the ROH/NJPW Supershow
2) A Meng & Barbarian vs. "Big Dick" Devan Drake and Kujo tag at a WPW show
3) "The Blood Hunter" defeating Meng at a GNW show
4) An eight man tag where Ernest the Cat Miller, Glacier, Meng, and Power Plant washout Luther Biggs beat four locals in Orlando for a promotion with one recorded event and with the following message posted on its Facebook:

If I were your source I'm not sure which one of these I'd actually count as a match. The Rumble, I guess?

yes