Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jessica Drew has never really ever been unpopular. Like, I dunno where you guys are getting that from. And with Marvel having control of the spider franchise, at least partially, outside of the comics again, having all those characters distinct and recognizable is important.

Hawkeye is a relatively minor character in comparison to Spider-man and his related characters, and even then, I guarantee to you that if Kate Bishop showed up in the movieverse, Clint would either retire or she'd get a new name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wow that titles been passed around a bunch huh

Okay well then go ahead and take it Gwen

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Nodosaur posted:

Jessica Drew has never really ever been unpopular. Like, I dunno where you guys are getting that from. And with Marvel having control of the spider franchise, at least partially, outside of the comics again, having all those characters distinct and recognizable is important.

Hawkeye is a relatively minor character in comparison to Spider-man and his related characters, and even then, I guarantee to you that if Kate Bishop showed up in the movieverse, Clint would either retire or she'd get a new name.

Hasn't Spider-Gwen appeared in more media than Jessica Drew despite being around for a fraction of the time? It seems like a safe bet that Gwen is more popular than Drew at this point, and is probably more popular than Drew ever was if not at least on her way to being more popular. poo poo, the Spider-Woman that appeared in cartoons in the 90s was Carpenter, not Drew, and it was Carpenter's design that ended up being used for the symbiote suit and Venom. This isn't to knock Drew as a character but cmon man if you go to the average Marvel fan and mentioned Jessica Drew, they are probably more likely to think you are talking about the alcoholic Netflix hero than know who you actually meant at this point.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I really don't understand what the issue here is. Gwen isn't really making a statement at all by using the name Spider-Woman, unlike Miles being Spider-man just like Peter. This name allows both characters to be used without bumping into each other or jockeying for position. There is literally no harm to this whatsoever, other than Gwen getting the less famous name.

And honestly, most people seem to be unaware she even called herself Spider-woman. She's Spider-Gwen to most folks, which is frankly a terrible superhero name.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nodosaur posted:

Jessica Drew has never really ever been unpopular. Like, I dunno where you guys are getting that from.

I guarantee 99% of readers in the 90s couldn't have told you who the gently caress Jessica Drew is, and she remained a forgotten character on the level of The Shroud until Bendis brought her back into the limelight.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

They seem to keep wanting to leave that name open because they keep trying to make the other Spider-Women characters a thing and it never ever seems to stick. Spider-Gwen was the perfect opportunity to have the Spider-Woman name stick to a character that was actually being well received but WELP.

Gwen’s not that well received, her comics are bad.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah that's why I'm enjoying the spider woman ongoing comic book series right now.

Oh wait... it was cancelled without fanfare over a year ago.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

im going to call her ghost spider because thats a loving rad name

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

fractalairduct posted:

im going to call her ghost spider because thats a loving rad name

Yeah I actually hated Spider-Gwen, Ghost Spider is awesome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwG0bd7O0Fs

Trailer for Amazon's Winding-Refn show that Ed Brubaker wrote. Some of those shots look Sean Phillips as hell. No one writes better crime comics than Brubaker, I'm excited to see what he can do with a TV show.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwG0bd7O0Fs

Trailer for Amazon's Winding-Refn show that Ed Brubaker wrote. Some of those shots look Sean Phillips as hell. No one writes better crime comics than Brubaker, I'm excited to see what he can do with a TV show.

Looks great but man it's exhausting to see these trailers try to give away the entire product just by being overlong

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

ToastyPotato posted:

Well there's only been one and it was kind of bleh. I mean, I sure wouldn't mind exploring the world a bit and taking liberties here or there to expand the scope of the original story, but when the show runner is going out of his way to basically say this is Watchmen in name only it kind of defeats the purpose. It shows a severe lack in creativity, imo. Just make a new IP inspired by Watchmen for a new generation, instead of this weird thing where everyone pretends that Watchmen is this holy text and they are gonna be true to the original but it's gonna be new and different, but there will also be some recognizable stuff from the original PLEASE GOD WATCH IT.

In all fairness this pretty much describes Fargo and it was one of the best shows of the last decade. Coincidentally, the best show currently airing is by the same dude and also a comic book adaptation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Danger posted:

In all fairness this pretty much describes Fargo and it was one of the best shows of the last decade. Coincidentally, the best show currently airing is by the same dude and also a comic book adaptation.

What show are you talking about?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Legion.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Skwirl posted:

What show are you talking about?

The only comic book show by the creator of Fargo that I known of?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think they were making a joke about the quality of Legion, guys.

E: oh, huh

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 24, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Danger posted:

The only comic book show by the creator of Fargo that I known of?

I thought you were saying Damon Lindelof was the creator of the best show currently on television and he's not the creator of any shows currently on television, which is my own reading comprehension failure. But you could also just name the show since you apparently love it so much instead of being cryptic.

Thank you.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Danger posted:

I don't think Fargo and Watchmen are kind of comparable though. Watchmen is frequently heralded as a legendary piece of comic history that was such a big deal DC still isn't letting it go. It just comes off as lazy to me and trying to cash in on the Watchmen name. I dunno, we'll see how it goes. The funny thing is, a modern take that goes to new places with new characters is undeniably a very good idea. I would just rather they didn't saddle it with bits and pieces of the original story just so that they could call it Watchmen. There's so much horrible poo poo going on in the world that a deep look at current events through the lens of a superhero show could be phenomenal, especially if it is being inspired in tone by Watchmen. I just hope it actually has something to say instead of being a weak, wet noodle cash grab.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The problem to a degree is that if you use elements of it and don't call it Watchmen, people are just going to call it a Watchmen ripoff. If you call it Watchmen but don't tell the Watchmen story, people are going to call it a cop out and "not a true adaptation." It's a catch-22.

Lindelof decided to take the avenue of name recognition because the last show he did was incredible but was only able to get three seasons out of the kindness of HBO execs hearts. The Leftovers was exceptional but the ratings sucked hard. At least this way, he'll get a certain number of people who will watch simply because it's Watchmen. It's lovely but people hate new things.

While we're talking about Legion, can we talk about how hard Navid Negahban is knocking it out of the park as Farouk? He's so loving insanely good at the role and I would pay money for a show that was simply Farouk and Oliver's travels across America while they politely antagonize each other.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Posted this elsewhere too, but the first reviews for Cloak and Dagger are good. Of course, so were Runaways...

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

RevKrule posted:

While we're talking about Legion, can we talk about how hard Navid Negahban is knocking it out of the park as Farouk? He's so loving insanely good at the role and I would pay money for a show that was simply Farouk and Oliver's travels across America while they politely antagonize each other.

He is amazing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

RevKrule posted:

The problem to a degree is that if you use elements of it and don't call it Watchmen, people are just going to call it a Watchmen ripoff. If you call it Watchmen but don't tell the Watchmen story, people are going to call it a cop out and "not a true adaptation." It's a catch-22.

Lindelof decided to take the avenue of name recognition because the last show he did was incredible but was only able to get three seasons out of the kindness of HBO execs hearts. The Leftovers was exceptional but the ratings sucked hard. At least this way, he'll get a certain number of people who will watch simply because it's Watchmen. It's lovely but people hate new things.

The rip off claims would only happen if A: a different company were doing it, and B: They didn't acknowledge their inspiration and tried to pass it off as totally original. And doing it this way just opens the door for people hating on the show for being unfaithful, which will generate more bad press than people saying WB/DC somehow ripped itself off. It will also be way harder to mitigate, because like I said, the other way all you have to do is pay lip service to the other franchise you already own. You could even market it as being "from the people who produced Watchmen" since that is very easy to make true.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

zoux posted:

Posted this elsewhere too, but the first reviews for Cloak and Dagger are good. Of course, so were Runaways...
I can't wait for one of them to disintegrate at the end of the first episode!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would wager that the relationship between Moore and DC means they'd get those ripoff claims anyway. Nerds don't think of DC owning Watchmen, they think of them as stealing it from Moore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I keep hoping that DC will do a Charlton characters that's a real gently caress you to those types of Watchmen fans.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I would wager that the relationship between Moore and DC means they'd get those ripoff claims anyway. Nerds don't think of DC owning Watchmen, they think of them as stealing it from Moore.

I think the people who hate DC for screwing Moore are an unbelievably small group of people as evidenced by the fact that DC has continuously pumped out new Watchmen stuff for like the last few years or more without incident, compared to the loud wailing and gnashing of teeth I see aimed at Marvel from bigoted nerds.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I think the people who hate DC for screwing Moore are an unbelievably small group of people as evidenced by the fact that DC has continuously pumped out new Watchmen stuff for like the last few years or more without incident, compared to the loud wailing and gnashing of teeth I see aimed at Marvel from bigoted nerds.

Right so if only an unbelievably small group would complain about using the name go ahead and do it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Because they did.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Right so if only an unbelievably small group would complain about using the name go ahead and do it.

I think there are plenty of people who like Watchmen that don't care about what happened to Moore. Hence why DC has been milking Watchmen for so many years.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

You could even :tinfoil: and say that DC used bigot nerds' rage over Marvel to integrate Watchmen into the general universe under the radar and by the time people got around to reacting, they were already outrage'd out.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

BrianWilly posted:

I can't wait for one of them to disintegrate at the end of the first episode!

That would loving rule if that happened at the end of the season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Because they did.

Can't steal what's already stolen!

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

It is dumb that of all Moore adaptations to milk for prestige television they wouldn’t do From Hell, inarguably his best work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Danger posted:

It is dumb that of all Moore adaptations to milk for prestige television they wouldn’t do From Hell, inarguably his best work.

I think he controls the rights on that one and after the poo poo film a show ain't happening.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
anyone doing an adaptation of from hell would invariably rip out all the religious stuff to appeal to the whites which would ruin it anyways

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

anyone doing an adaptation of from hell would invariably rip out all the religious stuff to appeal to the whites which would ruin it anyways

They'd turn it into a police procedural. They super would.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol yeah itd probably end up like lucifer

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funniest terrible part of the From Hell movie is how they turned a real person (Inspector Fred Abberline) into a drug addicted psychic. Also with the psychic part you could tell that someone didn't actually read the comic and just saw a summary since they saw that the book had a psychic character but missed the part where he admits at the end that he faked the entire thing.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Also the modern day stuff was pretty integral to the entire thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i would love to see the final episode where after he commits the final murder, gull has another stroke and ends up in an asylum where, while a dr and nurse gently caress next to his drooling empty shell of a body, he travels through time as a floating head to voyeur on future murderers