Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gorau posted:

I'm not sure in going to need 4 freaking Kongos. It's kind of stupid for them to have made 3 copies of the same ship when there is one already in the tree. I'm still going to end up with four though. My Kongo captain has too many skill points and I seem to be collecting the other three through just playing the game.

They're limited by what's in the manga/tv show, whichever one they have the agreement with.

According to the wiki page, the Japanese fog fleet is Yamato, the 4 Kongos, the 4 Myokos, Nagato, Ise, Atago, a Takao, a Kagero, and a Shokaku - Kagero, Shokaku and Yamato are too high tier for freebies/premiums, Atago would probably steal sales from the proper Atago, and they aren't going to add an ARP Ise or Takao before tree versions. Leaves Nagato.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

They're limited by what's in the manga/tv show, whichever one they have the agreement with.

According to the wiki page, the Japanese fog fleet is Yamato, the 4 Kongos, the 4 Myokos, Nagato, Ise, Atago, a Takao, a Kagero, and a Shokaku - Kagero, Shokaku and Yamato are too high tier for freebies/premiums, Atago would probably steal sales from the proper Atago, and they aren't going to add an ARP Ise or Takao before tree versions. Leaves Nagato.

And the I-401 itself :getin:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So a developer Q&A was posted on the NA forums.

Some highlights
  • They're hoping to reduce the influence of RNG once they figure out how.
  • They intend to improve the UI
  • Matchmaker will be improved for patch 0.5.8
  • British Cruisers will be the first UK line.
  • Admiral Graff Spree is being worked on.
  • Anti-aliasing might finally be fixed??? Holy poo poo.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Earned my first pink badge of honor over torping someone. I launched at my max range of 5 km because the BB was firing on me so it was either him or me. Not only did I manage to sink the idiot who cut into my torpedoes but as soon as he was hit the second spread sank the BB.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I saw the opposite the other day actually. A CV sent his torp bombers to hit a cruiser, but a friendly BB was parallel to it. You can guess what happened.

So I'm close to either unlocking the Pensacola or the Colorado. Not entirely sure which to go with, though everything I hear makes the later American CAs sound unfun to play.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

I saw the opposite the other day actually. A CV sent his torp bombers to hit a cruiser, but a friendly BB was parallel to it. You can guess what happened.

So I'm close to either unlocking the Pensacola or the Colorado. Not entirely sure which to go with, though everything I hear makes the later American CAs sound unfun to play.

Pensecola isn't that bad but good lord never show your flat side to anything. At all. Even a DD. On the upside, you have 10 guns with decent penetration.

Colorado is OK and the US BB line got buffed a bit and might get buffed more by the module changes.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

everything I hear makes the later American CAs sound unfun to play.

On the other hand, the Des Moines is by far the most hilarious ship in the game. But I admit, I skipped the Baltimore.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

kaesarsosei posted:

On the other hand, the Des Moines is by far the most hilarious ship in the game. But I admit, I skipped the Baltimore.

Baltimore seems like a huge pain to play.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

So what's this I'm reading about secondary module changes? Why are they trying to ruin my Nagato and Warspite? :(

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
What skills does the goon hivemind recommend on a Kiev captain?

Currently, my Russkie DD driver has BFT, SA, Expert Marksman, Last Stand, and Superintendent, with 2 unused points.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Minenfeld! posted:

So what's this I'm reading about secondary module changes? Why are they trying to ruin my Nagato and Warspite? :(

I think they just don't like the idea of "automatic" damage. Still sucks for Nagato/Warspite though :(

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

My three most played ships are the Tirpitz, Nagato, and Warspite--all secondary builds. This is gonna suck.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Having a good day in ranked today, with a Nagato, since I can't get a game to start with my Ryujo anymore.

3-1.

The "one" is because after having a 5-3 ship advantage and both caps, our team insisted on chasing each of their remaining ships to the edges of the map, no where near the caps.

I watched our full health warspite, despite multiple pleas for him to cease and desist and return to the cap get GUNNED down by a Kiev he felt like chasing. He never hit the Kiev. I'm assuming he was hit roughly 400 times. Still never deviated from running as far away from anything that matters as possible. Lost the game. After a thorough lashing, he happened to be on the other team the next game. I put senses out the window and declared to the room I was going to sink his bitch rear end regardless of the outcome.

My own team gets mad at me, starts cussing me out. I kill their last 4 ships (including him) and win. Fun night. We were down 200-800. Our remaining dd capped one point and I parked my rear end in the other, while dismantling their remaining ships. Very satisfying. Also I can roleplay in a yellow Kongo now because I met the requirement of finishing in the top 5 of my team... boy these guys are really earning it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Minenfeld! posted:

My three most played ships are the Tirpitz, Nagato, and Warspite--all secondary builds. This is gonna suck.

So it turns out the secondary mod DOES exist.

At tier 9-10.

On the plus side, it combines the effects of the previous two secondary battery modules.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 10, 2016

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

wdarkk posted:

I think they just don't like the idea of "automatic" damage. Still sucks for Nagato/Warspite though :(

What's changing? The mod that lets you get 20% range?

This is important as I've been grinding out the 5 pt captain skill on my backup BB Nagato (ranked) captain. I won't waste 5 on manual secondaries if this is the case.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

jownzy posted:

What's changing? The mod that lets you get 20% range?

This is important as I've been grinding out the 5 pt captain skill on my backup BB Nagato (ranked) captain. I won't waste 5 on manual secondaries if this is the case.

That's exactly what's changed. It's been merged with the 3 million credit module that provides 20% faster secondary reloading, and placed in the tier 9-10 slot.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

wdarkk posted:

That's exactly what's changed. It's been merged with the 3 million credit module that provides 20% faster secondary reloading, and placed in the tier 9-10 slot.

awww, couldn't they have made it t8? That way I could have fun with more pubbie tiers by taking it on my ark b.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

awww, couldn't they have made it t8? That way I could have fun with more pubbie tiers by taking it on my ark b.

Pretty sure you still can, the Ark B gets all the upgrade slots.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Pretty sure you still can, the Ark B gets all the upgrade slots.

oh hey, it does. I was thinking the target acquisition/stealth dohicky was the highest which would be the t8 mods. I see the secondary reload one now. If that is rolled that way, then I can keep the range mod on the ark and still get secondary reload/range as well. Oh my.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

So I just had a weird glitch happen...

I was playing in my Cleveland and started going after a weakened CA, got him down to 125 health and then he just sat there. He took about 30+ hits of HE front on, and nothing. No fires, no destruction, no hit points. The hits registered but nothing else happened after that.

Like a couple of hits, I'd call it a fluke or a couple of deflections, but 30+? Come the gently caress on.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Damage saturation probably kicked in. There was nothing left to blow up in the part you were hitting.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Damage saturation sounds roughly correct in regards to not dealing any direct damage. It's most evident with destroyers, where there are videos out there of nearly dead ones taking torpedoes and not getting damaged, given their low saturation points, but it occasionally happens with other ships.

As for the fires, all I can say is RNG. I've had times when I've landed like 40 hits without starting a single fire, while their return fire literally sets me on fire on the first hit. Sometimes multiple fires with only a few hits.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

wdarkk posted:

Seriously? This sucks man, I was looking forward to the fun Nagato build I had in beta.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Insert name here posted:

Is there ever a time to fire 4/5-inch AP at enemy destroyers? I remember pre-armour rework you could just slam other DDs with AP but afterwards I remember it just always overpenning and not doing much. Is this still the case?

Not especially, since HE does comparable damage and is more likely to stun their torp launchers and guns. But sometimes you will see a badly wounded ship start taking HE hits without losing HP (damage saturation) and the only part you can hurt is like the very tail which can be difficult to hurt. If that happens AP overpens to the larger bow area will still do the trick.

I had a game in a Cleveland where I think I hit a New Mexico like almost 200 times with HE, and he stopped taking damage. Thankfully he was a horrible shot. Switch to AP and start putting salvos into the superstructure, or right at the deck level as those secondary casemate guns on the sides of older BBs usually do not have great armor like the belt does.

Cruisers and BBs can sometimes do massive damage to DDs that are heading directly towards or away from them - in these cases the AP shell has enough time for the fuse to go off while still inside the ship and instead of 10% damage you will do like 33%. I've seen a gif of a Yamato hitting a DD for a 15,000 AP damage salvo right up the tailpipe

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Thanks, guess I'll stick to firing HE at other DDs then like I've been doing. I'm determined to get good at US DDs or die trying (mostly the latter); I doubt my closed beta tactic of hang out at ~10km, drive in vague circles like a drunken idiot and never not sling shells at ships will cut it anymore. :v:

nodm
Jul 17, 2011

wdarkk posted:

Baltimore seems like a huge pain to play.

It really isn´t that bad, in fact I´m still playing mine long after getting the Des Moines. People (justifiably) think US cruisers are poo poo and low priority targets, if you keep your head down you can survive in T10 games while setting Yamatos on fire and capping stuff.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Insert name here posted:

; I doubt my closed beta tactic of hang out at ~10km, drive in vague circles like a drunken idiot and never not sling shells at ships will cut it anymore. :v:

It works well with soviet DDs.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Insert name here posted:

Thanks, guess I'll stick to firing HE at other DDs then like I've been doing. I'm determined to get good at US DDs or die trying (mostly the latter); I doubt my closed beta tactic of hang out at ~10km, drive in vague circles like a drunken idiot and never not sling shells at ships will cut it anymore. :v:

Acquire a Clemson, whup up on same tier all destroyers in your path, learn how to use smoke offensively and just be a general nuisance to the enemy until you feel that you've got the concept down.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgu8k7kwk_k

Really this applies to most US DD, but the Clemson is definitely a standout ship in the US DD tree, because it has double 152 mounts, it loving obliterates every DD it has a chance of meeting in matchmaker.

You should play other US DD much the same way, with offensive smokes and short range pounding with your rapid firing guns, as well as using the US torps low detectability along with island lurking to surprise a dumb battleship as he finally sights 8 torpedoes at 0.8km away from him and can do nothing but die.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

nodm posted:

It [Baltimore] really isn´t that bad, in fact I´m still playing mine long after getting the Des Moines.

That's the most masochistic thing I've read in this thread. Maybe in the whole site.

I could maybe see a case for the New Orleans because its so stealthy, has far better MM, and still has radar making it one of the best DD hunters....but Baltimore...

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I've been grinding out the Baltimore as well. It's a situational ship. Some games you can really do well, other games you can really do nothing, and it's really no fault of your own. I play mine like a big DD, ambushing wherever possibly. Sucks not having torps, but you can easily do 7k salvos on BB you sneak up on.

My biggest gripe is, they've made CV so poo poo to play that most of my skills dedicated to AA are completely worthless.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

jownzy posted:

My biggest gripe is, they've made CV so poo poo to play that most of my skills dedicated to AA are completely worthless.

The worst is that they are still extremely powerful, just so boring to play that even nuking hapless nerds isn't enough.

nodm
Jul 17, 2011

kaesarsosei posted:

That's the most masochistic thing I've read in this thread. Maybe in the whole site.

I could maybe see a case for the New Orleans because its so stealthy, has far better MM, and still has radar making it one of the best DD hunters....but Baltimore...

Heh. I just couldnt make the New Orleans work for me, but there was no radar when I played it. I usually like battleships, but Baltimore is my 2nd most played ship after Warspite with about 250 games, I just find it a nice change of pace.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Really this applies to most US DD, but the Clemson is definitely a standout ship in the US DD tree, because it has double 152 mounts, it loving obliterates every DD it has a chance of meeting in matchmaker.

You should play other US DD much the same way, with offensive smokes and short range pounding with your rapid firing guns, as well as using the US torps low detectability along with island lurking to surprise a dumb battleship as he finally sights 8 torpedoes at 0.8km away from him and can do nothing but die.
Not to sound like an rear end at nitpicking the numbers, but the Clemson's guns are 102mm. The Clemson is definitely a very shooty gunboat, though. However, the very low caliber of your shells means issues with causing fires and penning things. HE is likely your only choice, even against the fairly thin armor of the Omaha and similar ships. While you can definitely pen their armor, the shells may not carry enough power to fully penetrate the citadel. And you do not trade shells well with higher tiered DDs. Though T4 and 5 is still usually a shitshow of bad players, so such a thing isn't quite as important as if you were in a Benson trying to trade shells with a Fubuki at 9km. (Hint: That's not a good engagement for the Benson, even worse if its a Tashkent instead)

Anyways, some new ARP challenges have shown up. +50% XP for sinking a normal ship in an ARP ship, and +50% xp for sinking an ARP ship in a normal one, though you'll have to be in the anime port to see that challenge. Not a bad one, though!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

wdarkk posted:

Damage saturation probably kicked in. There was nothing left to blow up in the part you were hitting.

Lord Koth posted:

Damage saturation sounds roughly correct in regards to not dealing any direct damage. It's most evident with destroyers, where there are videos out there of nearly dead ones taking torpedoes and not getting damaged, given their low saturation points, but it occasionally happens with other ships.

As for the fires, all I can say is RNG. I've had times when I've landed like 40 hits without starting a single fire, while their return fire literally sets me on fire on the first hit. Sometimes multiple fires with only a few hits.

I guess that makes sense then. I've probably put in about 500 matches and that was my first time seeing it happen, so I figured it had to be a weird glitch.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

9th kill survived because we won on cap point just before my torps hit him.
Would be 10th kill got stolen as my torps left him with 10 health.

Yeepppp gonna love working from home and playing with these shitters all summer.

Edit: Also, I'm doing this with my CV captain, who has none of the traditional DD skills.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Clemson is really good at making GBS threads on IJN destroyers and other low tier destoryers, but it gets murdered by a Nicholas up close or if a Gnevy catches it at long range. But, being tier 4 means you will see a lot of idiots in Kawachi's/South Carolina's that will cheerfully drive into torpedos or drive into DD Thunderdome on Big Race.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

jownzy posted:

Edit: Also, I'm doing this with my CV captain, who has none of the traditional DD skills.

Not even Situational Awareness? Isn't that useful for a CV to let you know a DD is about to gently caress you?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

El Disco posted:

Not even Situational Awareness? Isn't that useful for a CV to let you know a DD is about to gently caress you?

It is, and it is amazing the number of carrier captains that don't have it. I mean, what do you take instead, the one that reduces flooding and fire times? Or the rear gunner skill that is hilariously questionable (I think their "dps" is something lower than a destroyer of the same tier, so what it'll do in self defense is something to consider there)? There isn't any other tier 1 skills worth taking as a cv captain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

JuffoWup posted:

It is, and it is amazing the number of carrier captains that don't have it. I mean, what do you take instead, the one that reduces flooding and fire times? Or the rear gunner skill that is hilariously questionable (I think their "dps" is something lower than a destroyer of the same tier, so what it'll do in self defense is something to consider there)? There isn't any other tier 1 skills worth taking as a cv captain.
There's also the one that increases AA damage which might come in handy versus CV snipes. Though SA is still way better though yeah.