Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
The song Kiss Me wasn't written by The Sundays but instead by an American band trying to sound like The Sundays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

rollick posted:

The song Kiss Me wasn't written by The Sundays but instead by an American band trying to sound like The Sundays

I've never heard of the Sundays but have heard of Sixpence None the Richer.

While trying to remember them, I initially got them confused with Tin Tin Out, whose only song I can remember turns out to be a cover of The Sundays.

Who I still had not heard of.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Dip Viscous posted:

This Andy Capp guy

is a character licensed from a newspaper comic, not something created specifically as a snack food mascot.

Andy goddamn Capp is the face/name of a still-available snack food???

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Pookah posted:

Andy goddamn Capp is the face/name of a still-available snack food???

They’re really good too. Actually my local market just added multiple new flavors so they seem to be doing fine. Maybe I should get some; it’s been years

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They got rid of the chili cheese fries which were goated

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

root beer posted:

Are you aware of what kind of character he is? Oh boy I hope you aren’t and you read more about him

I knew nothing of the character's existence beyond the picture on the bag.

Every convenience store and vending machine near me has the fries but I've never tried them.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

He was a lazy, belligerent drunk who’d spent all his time playing bar games, refused to get a job, and would always get into fights with his wife. Sometimes he’d punch her. Real stand-up kind o’ bloke.

The fries were always good tho, yeah

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Walked over and got a bag of the default Cheese Fries and yeah these are decent. Half the price of everything else, decently flavorful even if the flavor is nothing special, and it seems like the kind of thing that's easy to eat at a slow pace over the course of a movie.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I don't know anything about Breaker Morant. He sounds awful. Pity he has kind of a rad-sounding name. If he was called Ole Wobbly Tom MacScuggins or something, things might be less complicated.

Hyperlynx posted:

It's funny how people seem to gloss over the ANZAC campaign against the Ottoman Empire being a total disaster. Gallipoli was a loving mess. 10 months of making little progress, soaking up gunfire, and then evacuating.

And (I didn't know until I just looked it up) the ANZACs only made up 13% of the Entente forces there. Most were British.

So Australia's national founding myth is based on a battle that we didn't win, and didn't even really feature that prominently in.

That's interesting. The rural/remote town I've lived in for a decade now has anzac day stuff that goes with the angle of "gallipoli was a pointless disaster." Then again we have a few vietnam vets organising things; one year they included a speech about "war is bad and can leave you a shambling paranoid alcoholic wife beater" so maybe that affects the vibe somewhat.

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 02:52 on May 15, 2024

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Breaker Morant sounds like the name of a TV character played by Lee Majors in 1979

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I've never heard anyone talk about ANZAC day as anything other than a memorial of how many lives were lost pointlessly in Gallipoli etc

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

computer game based on Andy Capp, entitled Andy Capp: The Game, was released for the Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC in Europe and North America. Players had to borrow money in order to replenish Andy's alcohol supply while avoiding fights with his wife Flo and the police.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
classic andy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The computer video game is decent as far as I can remember.

The card game is quick fun with friends. (I'm fairly certain it's based on some "real" card game but I don't know card games that much.)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh poo poo I recognize that name. He also designed this (I have no recollection what it was like):

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's weird to think about how many countries that are now "democracies" were still dictatorships in the 1970s. Spain, Greece, South Korea, what else?

Portugal, Taiwan

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just like how Breaker Morant was a massive piece of poo poo who absolutely deserved a bullet to the head a dozen times over.

Just not for what they actually shot him for.

Man, I have seriously got to sit down and watch The Wire.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh poo poo I recognize that name. He also designed this (I have no recollection what it was like):

Swedes love the Phantom so much and I have no idea why.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Philippe posted:

What do you mean "why"?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Philippe posted:

Swedes are natures boomers and boomers loved Phantom.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dip Viscous posted:

This Andy Capp guy

is a character licensed from a newspaper comic, not something created specifically as a snack food mascot.

TIL that newspaper comic andy capp has/had licensed snack food

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Inceltown posted:

I thought the Phantom was more of a Silent Generation thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FreudianSlippers posted:

checks out, scandinavians are silent (when sober, in public)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Carthag Tuek posted:

TIL that newspaper comic andy capp has/had licensed snack food

And yet my Fred Basset Bagel Chips were regarded as too "dry, bland"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Munching on my Digedags rutabaga crisps while digging a tunnel.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Inceltown posted:

The one bit of good taste boomers have I suppose

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

The one bit of good taste boomers have I suppose

Heh.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

FreudianSlippers posted:

Taking credit for their parents' accomplishments is also a Boomer trait.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Walter Moura is actually named Wagner Moura

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Andy Capp hot fries are good. Because of this thread I tried the new fire fries out and they were ok but not as good as the regular hot fries. Cheddar fries are also not as good as hot fries. They also had onion rings and hot onion rings but I didn’t try those though they sound good too

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They sell Andy Capp-themed things in the USA? He's the most British character imaginable.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FreudianSlippers posted:

My mom loved the 90s movie lmao. I wonder if I should get her a copy of it and if that would be possible

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Phlegmish posted:

They sell Andy Capp-themed things in the USA? He's the most British character imaginable.
He was in a newspaper comic strip and a snack food brand for as long as I can remember (I'm 44). I am just now learning from this thread that he's British. lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm shocked to learn those snacks are any good. They always looked like the cheapest product, branded with a legacy comic I never would've even heard of if I hadn't been addicted to reading books of old newspaper comics when I was younger, I just can't believe they're worthwhile.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I remember reading Andy Capp in the daily newspaper comics page here in Australia when I was a kid, along with Fred Basset and Garfield and Snake and Footrot Flats and Hagar the Horrible.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm shocked to learn those snacks are any good. They always looked like the cheapest product, branded with a legacy comic I never would've even heard of if I hadn't been addicted to reading books of old newspaper comics when I was younger, I just can't believe they're worthwhile.

They're fine, but I honestly think chester does hot fries better. Messier, tho

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
oh it's a pun on "handicap"

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Andy Capp walked so Rap Snacks could run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

For some reason I used to get Andy Capp and Li’l Abner mixed up

Maybe it’s because the latter was by Al Capp but I don’t think that’s it, the strip ended four years before I was even born so it’s not like I ever read it. Hell, I don’t even know why I have the reference in mind in the first place.