Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

Crystal idea sounds good, but if they are competent players I would tune it quite hard and have an interesting result for a tpk in mind, because they have deliberately drained themselves.

Luckily aboleths love having slaves that can walk on dry land...

My philosophy is that in any given fight you should always have an interesting result for a tpk in mind, because then you can go all-out on your players as battlefield GM (within the limits of the rules, naturally) and let them succeed or fail on their own merits. They knew what the moving trap areas would do to them, they knew they had more fights up ahead, they chose to waste their energy on this stuff.

I would suggest giving them an out: they find a secret exit to dry land that they can use to escape and heal up and take an extended rest... but if they do, the aboleth will have the time to realise that some adventurers (that it probably can't take) are coming for it and flee, to become a bigger problem at a later date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Hm... the aboleth encounter was planned to span into the astral plane in the middle of the fight. I could make their “deaths” send them to the astral plane instead of when they bloody the aboleth like I’d originally planned. That’d be exciting.

It’ll still be hard, because only the aboleth can send them there with the death blow— any of the accompanying slimes (ochre slime, and some plants that spawn green slime minions) can still kill them for real.

I’ll still use crystals to recover healing surges/power the aboleth’s attacks, but they’ll be more released as treasure for the party if they can still win in the end, depending on how many powered attacks the aboleth is allowed to make.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Soliciting some quick & dirty advice cause I keep drawing a blank: I need a hook for a thieves guild related sidequest. It would lead the party away from the main path in a large dungeon to undead-infested catacombs reigned over by a necromancer, who has, if you'll pardon the phrasing, a bone to pick with them. One of the party is a thieves guild member but in our game there are many thieves guilds, allies and enemies alike.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Well, the go-to hook for involving a thieves guild is to steal something the players need. This can be something the players have now, or something they players are trying to get and the guild gets it first. The thief can even be an "unlicensed thief" to borrow from Sir Terry Pratchett, but the players go to the thieves guild to get help tracking down the person.

The reverse is that the thieves guild incorrectly thinks the party has something they want, or they want revenge for something the party did, or someone in the guild has framed someone in the party for something.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The thieves guild stole something from the catacombs, but after learning what it does, want to return it. Too bad that place sucks and nobody wants to go back. If only they could convince some wandering group of patsies to return it for them.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

Soliciting some quick & dirty advice cause I keep drawing a blank: I need a hook for a thieves guild related sidequest. It would lead the party away from the main path in a large dungeon to undead-infested catacombs reigned over by a necromancer, who has, if you'll pardon the phrasing, a bone to pick with them. One of the party is a thieves guild member but in our game there are many thieves guilds, allies and enemies alike.

A long time ago a previous Guildmaster stole some cursed treasure and was cursed with eternal life, Pirates of the Carribean-style. He managed to keep this quiet for a while and planned to turn it to his advantage and reign as an immortal lich-thief until the rest of the Guild cottoned on. They didn't want to involve any priests (they don't exactly get along with Lawful Good types) so they went for the more practical solution of putting him in concrete, bricking him up in an underground tomb, and making sure that a couple of Guild members are keeping an eye on the place.

All fine, but the last group of corpse-watchers reported that a necromancer has shown up with a small force of undead and taken the catacombs for themself to serve as a ready source of raw materials. The necromancer doesn't know about the undead guildmaster -- yet -- but it can only be a matter of time, and almost certainly the meddling idiot's going to try and release him. The Guild want someone to go in and make sure that doesn't happen.

For added complication, a few of the Guild have started to romanticise the Good Old Days of the guild, when they killed witnesses instead of bribing them to look the other way, and think their former guildmaster would lead a glorious return to how things used to be -- so they have headed to the catacombs unilaterally to try and get him set free.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
A few months ago our GM had some personal issues that were stopping him from being able to prep. I had been toying with the idea of trying my hand at running something, so I took some of the free stuff WotC made available during the first few months of COVID quarantine and have run a few one shots for the group.

I’ve decided to take the next step, and I’m going to run folks through Curse of Strahd. I’m waiting on my hard copy to arrive so I can read through it before we begin, but I’ve done some research and right now I’m leaning on starting them at level 3 and running through Death House.

I don’t really have any specific questions, I’m just a little nervous about running a “real” game for the first time, and was wondering if anyone had some general advice for CoS?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Russad posted:

A few months ago our GM had some personal issues that were stopping him from being able to prep. I had been toying with the idea of trying my hand at running something, so I took some of the free stuff WotC made available during the first few months of COVID quarantine and have run a few one shots for the group.

I’ve decided to take the next step, and I’m going to run folks through Curse of Strahd. I’m waiting on my hard copy to arrive so I can read through it before we begin, but I’ve done some research and right now I’m leaning on starting them at level 3 and running through Death House.

I don’t really have any specific questions, I’m just a little nervous about running a “real” game for the first time, and was wondering if anyone had some general advice for CoS?

hm... my best advice is to change the way the vistani are written completely but aside from that curse of strahd is really hard to run. i guarantee you that at some point the players are going to go off the rails - at that point, gently caress the book, you are writing strahd fan fiction now. i can promise you this will happen, do not fight it, even the writer of the book had to go off script.

try to play up strahd as a dynamic instigator who constantly presses the party. he is, after all, always watching. have him analyze the main characters and ask pointed questions on the morally ambiguous stuff they do, taunt them, send increasingly sadistic challenges their way to torment them... all the while drip feeding information about what actually happened and who strahd is. the story is about him, after all.

E: also if you run death house just keep in mind its called death house. the thing is a meat grinder

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Russad posted:

General advice is just read the adventure cover to cover once and check out at least one guide, I got a lot of mileage out of this one: http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com/2016/03/dungeons-dragons-guide-to-curse-of.html?m=1

CoS is a great module but can be tough to run. There is a dedicated subreddit to it and there are tons of resources on it that can help you out. Death House can be rough, so definitely google about some of the encounters as other GMs have subbed out or reduced the amount of enemies in them. As for the adventure it out think about early how you're going to use Strahd himself. There are almost no "scripted" encounters with him outside the final battle so you have to do the work yourself.

There's a lot of freedom in the module which can make things tough. My group is at least 2/3 to 3/4 of the way done but we're postponed until we can meet in person again. I hope I can stick the landing with it as I have a lot of spinning plates going but overall it's been a great time running this module.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

The Theives' Guild wants a distraction from some big thing they're doing somewhere else in the city, so they hire some stupid adventurers to do something innocuous on the assumption that they will cause a massive distraction on the other side of town. If the PCs are uncharacteristically discreet and handle things without stuff getting stupid, they will be quite cross.

Just as the PCs are at loose ends on their investigation of the claw cultists murdering people in the streets, a representative of the Guild just shows up and hands over a scrollcase full of information on their base. Turns out the Guild wanted them off their turf too.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Last time I played in Ravenloft, a friend was playing a specialized invoker, using a build from complete wizards handbook and skills and powers. Rest of the party wanted to rest, he wanted to continue, so he fireballed the inn.

Oh second edition, you were a special something.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Russad posted:

i am also about to run strahd for the first time although i have a little more experience dming than you do

optional rules that i have seen include making it impossible for characters lower than level 5 to die and having them come back as pseudo-revenants if they fail three death saves; it also gives you an opportunity to color in the way death and dying works in barovia and if your players are into that sort of thing you can give them an indefinite madness (unless your players are cool with playing a meat grinder campaign in which case have them play as npcs you meet along the way)

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Thanks folks! I've been checking out some of the stuff in the subreddit, but that blogspot link looks like it has some interesting stuff I haven't seen before. I saw the revenant option and will definitely keep that up my sleeve.

I think I'm just going to need to make sure they know in our session 0 that running away will be a valid solution to some things. Thus far I don't think this group has met an obstacle that wasn't designed as an appropriate challenge for their level.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Got a bit of a weird one, because the correct advice should be "let the players die". In the game I'm running for kids one of them has very little subtelty. He gets very excited and his response to, say, a crowded temple filled with hostile cultists would be to leap off the balcony and shout "FBI! EVERYBODY FREEZE!". This means I have to repeatedly introduce deus ex machina solutions, fudge dice, or just trickle out enemies a few at a time for no good reason. It turns it from a game we're all playing to a story me and his dad are telling the boys, which is much less engaging and he's said it's boring when it's just waves of enemies. Any ideas for ways to break up a fight in a natural seeming way, after a player has (loudly) revealed his presence? I'm not looking for the solution, just anything I might throw in. I have done "aha hero you have revealed yourself, now you must face me/my champion in single combat" to death, and "does it look like we could pull the ceiling down?" has become a cliché.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Sanford posted:

Got a bit of a weird one, because the correct advice should be "let the players die". In the game I'm running for kids one of them has very little subtelty. He gets very excited and his response to, say, a crowded temple filled with hostile cultists would be to leap off the balcony and shout "FBI! EVERYBODY FREEZE!". This means I have to repeatedly introduce deus ex machina solutions, fudge dice, or just trickle out enemies a few at a time for no good reason. It turns it from a game we're all playing to a story me and his dad are telling the boys, which is much less engaging and he's said it's boring when it's just waves of enemies. Any ideas for ways to break up a fight in a natural seeming way, after a player has (loudly) revealed his presence? I'm not looking for the solution, just anything I might throw in. I have done "aha hero you have revealed yourself, now you must face me/my champion in single combat" to death, and "does it look like we could pull the ceiling down?" has become a cliché.

If the problem is that the players are charging into huge groups of enemies, or into large complexes loudly enough that it pulls every combatant in the building, could you put them in different situations instead? Like, if I'm designing a story for my PCs and I know I'm going to massively fudge things in the crowded temple if the party just charge in (and the party enjoys charging in), I'm going to have a long think about whether that temple needs to be crowded. As the DM, you can decide that the PCs are arriving during a smaller service, or while there is no service taking place, making the encounter small enough that the player leaping over the balcony is a reasonable decision, rather than a reckless one. It sounds like you want to know how to stop your party getting TPKd when they charge into your combat encounter which was designed with caution and restraint in mind, when I'd say the solution (especially in a game for kids) is "stop designing combat encounters which need caution and restraint".

For players who like kicking in the door and leaping straight to combat, single encounter locations work well. If the players are raiding the houses and small shrines of a cult, "FBI! EVERYBODY FREEZE!" works well because there's only going to be four or five combatants in the building. Once that fight is over, it's over. You can drop in clues then to other locations, and they can decide which location's door to go kick in next. A traditional old-school dungeon is another good environment for this sort of gameplay, where territorial monsters are unlikely to come to each others' aid.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 7, 2020

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Villains in a shaky alliance, they and their minions refuse to fight at the same time. What if they missed and hit each other? Also an opportunity for the kids to decide if they want to fight the orcs or the elves first.

Heroes jumping off of balconies are so last season. Everyone tries to ignore these interlopers, except for the guards. Followed by the folk who had their table overturned. And then the chandelier artist and their team of craftsmen, for obvious reasons. Finally the host themselves has to intervene.

The evil ritual has already succeeded. The cultists are now nothing more than limbs or hairs of some gigantic creature that is trying to sort out what exactly is going on here. The players have time to fight the right set of limbs while the creature tries to scrunch up enough to bring the left set into the fight. Think about how a dog or something will scratch with one leg, and then the other.

Bounty Hunters are chasing our heroes for crimes they might not have committed. They are too greedy to split the reward money, so they insist on fighting without involving other groups.

The real cultists are all hanging out on the ceiling, in a reverse gravity zone. Naturally a suitably nasty set of monsters are lurking inside the mirror illusion on the floor. Then the player have to figure out how to get up there. Probably fighting more guys on a convenient scaffolding leading up.

"My name is Orcigo Maultoyo. You (just?) killed my Father. Prepare to die!" Followed by Orcigo Maultoyo junior and Orcigo the third, an adopted troll. Or just the same guy getting back up as a revenant, a golem, a ghost, etc.

The party gains a well deserved reputation as blunt instruments. A local mercenary/general hires them to hold a famous pass against the ghosts and such of an army that once fought there. The ghosts get there well before the skeletons, who get there well before the zombies.

Probably the best idea is to have a nice rule 0 chat with the offender. If a kid is old enough to roleplay, they are old enough to change their ways in response to ruining everyone else's fun. I know this is probably the first thing you did. But stating the obvious seems to be my thing, along with gratuitous overuse of commas.

Edit: Fights on trains or a series of barges are good too.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 7, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thanks for the thieves guild hooks, I'm gonna let the ideas stew a little and see what comes out :v:

For FBI kid I'd advise having a talk too, but more about expectations. We all "know" jumping down amidst the cultists and shouting FBI is a stupid and irrational thing to do and will lead to party death, but maybe the kid or the whole group don't share that idea. Try asking them what they think would happen next. Or what did happen next in whatever movie or show they got the FBI bit from. Draw on different bits they might have seen - when do the cops shout FBI and when do they prefer a different method?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost

Sanford posted:

Any ideas for ways to break up a fight in a natural seeming way, after a player has (loudly) revealed his presence?

- Most of the cultists, including the leader, flee, leaving just the ones who are actually good at fighting to buy them some time. The players need to decide whether to waste time finishing off the toughs or split and send some people after the fleeing cultists before they can go to ground.

- Use 4e's rules for minions: minions only have 1hp and roll the minimum possible on any damage dice; four minions correspond to one enemy of comparable level

- stat "a group of like ten cultists" as a single large monster, when its hitpoints are depleted it represents enough cultists being killed that they all flee

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Sanford posted:

Any ideas for ways to break up a fight in a natural seeming way, after a player has (loudly) revealed his presence?

The cultists turn the lights off and/or throw a smoke bomb and retreat through a maze of twisty little passages, all alike,

The cultists want to die in the service of their mad god. If the PCs kill them, they’ll be helping the cult.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
This isn't very helpful, but I would loving love to try a Scooby Doo rear end campaign where the PCs can just arrest any evildoers they encounter. The cultists all just line up all aw shucks ya got us and now the PCs have to work out how to ferry them all back to Arkham prison in their one beat up model T. I bet taking that approach would have saved any number of otherwise promising Call campaigns.

My real answer is just have the cultists capture the PCs. Then you can have the leader monologue to fill in any blanks they missed and then either lock them in an easily-escaped cell or take them directly to the climactic scene at the sacrificial dais. That's pulp, babyyyy.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

That is all lovely stuff, thank you. Just a great list I can pick from as these situations come up (again and again).

In answer to the suggestions of twisty turny passages, small numbers of enemies cut off from the rest, etc - that's what I've been doing. Problem is, he wants to jump into the middle of a massive crowd of enemies and shout "FBI, EVERYBODY GET DOWN!" and I kinda want to let him keep doing it.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Sanford posted:

Problem is, he wants to jump into the middle of a massive crowd of enemies and shout "FBI, EVERYBODY GET DOWN!" and I kinda want to let him keep doing it.

Everybody does, in fact, get down, and the encounter turns into a dance-off.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sanford posted:

That is all lovely stuff, thank you. Just a great list I can pick from as these situations come up (again and again).

In answer to the suggestions of twisty turny passages, small numbers of enemies cut off from the rest, etc - that's what I've been doing. Problem is, he wants to jump into the middle of a massive crowd of enemies and shout "FBI, EVERYBODY GET DOWN!" and I kinda want to let him keep doing it.

at least once, everyone should just immediately get down on the floor with their hands on their head.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

sebmojo posted:

at least once, everyone should just immediately get down on the floor with their hands on their head.

I honestly can’t explain why I’ve not had this happen. Next game for sure and his dad will get a big laugh out of it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Anybody who has more experience with making castle environments wanna give me some tips on making a castle seige type encounter? The party will probably sneaking into it and bypass the huge bloody battle outside but will be skulking around inside of it trying to take it over. The layout doesn't need to particularly make sense since it's an "illusionary" castle that will dissipate into their home base after it's done anyway.

I'm thinking there will be plenty of traps and enemies around. Fully prepared to fight since the surrounding area has been under a seige for a while now and of course the city has now finally fallen. I have a bit of experience with the trap based castle since i ran Stradh with these guys so i kinda have an idea of what it might look like but i am not trying to recreate Ravenloft here :v:

Also in the long term they will find some magical mcguffin in the basement, which for now will probably be like an adamantium vein or something to make their armor and weapons more badass. You would assumingly need like legendarily good/magical smiths and equipment to work with the stuff right? That would make a good campaign long sidequest to do yeah?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

The Shame Boy posted:

Also in the long term they will find some magical mcguffin in the basement, which for now will probably be like an adamantium vein or something to make their armor and weapons more badass. You would assumingly need like legendarily good/magical smiths and equipment to work with the stuff right? That would make a good campaign long sidequest to do yeah?

Adamantine armor is an "Uncommon"-tier magic item that just converts crits into regular damage. Of course in your campaign it can be different, plus I note the item description just says it's "reinforced with adamantine" instead of being made out of it entirely. Just something to be aware of.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So I posted about my players doing a heist earlier. They've officially decided to go with it. I was thinking something along these lines:

Each player will be given a Flashback Point with the Rogue and Ranger receiving two. In any given situation, the player can call out the use of a Flashback Point at which point play will stop and they will narrate what they did in the past to overcome/bypass/ease the current situation. This cannot be used in combat and it cannot be used as a time travel component, ie: if you're facing a Warden, you can't use a Flashback Point to have killed that Warden. These will generally solve problems, though a DC will be imposed and becomes higher the more implausible the flashback is. Should players fail 4 flashbacks the heist is too compromised and the players must escape or risk being caught. Any remaining Flashback Points may be used in the escape.

I want to let them feel like badasses, but also allow for failure.

Thoughts?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The dc should be to determine whether you get a "however..."

So even if they fail, they still get the flashback !but! some additional complication. The complication shouldn't negate the benefit just make it a little more complicated.

Alternatively just let them have it, you want people to use these, it's fun.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

sebmojo posted:

The dc should be to determine whether you get a "however..."

So even if they fail, they still get the flashback !but! some additional complication. The complication shouldn't negate the benefit just make it a little more complicated.

Alternatively just let them have it, you want people to use these, it's fun.

Ooo, good call. My original thought was to do a PBtA type 2d6 roll plus half their relevant ability score modifier. (An 18 dex would give +2 to the 2d6 roll, etc.). So maybe I could do that, just with no failure condition, just a mixed success or absolute success.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Saxophone posted:

Ooo, good call. My original thought was to do a PBtA type 2d6 roll plus half their relevant ability score modifier. (An 18 dex would give +2 to the 2d6 roll, etc.). So maybe I could do that, just with no failure condition, just a mixed success or absolute success.

If you have the time and inclination, the Leverage and Blades in the Dark RPGs have a lot on how to run heists and handle flashbacks.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Adamantine armor is an "Uncommon"-tier magic item that just converts crits into regular damage. Of course in your campaign it can be different, plus I note the item description just says it's "reinforced with adamantine" instead of being made out of it entirely. Just something to be aware of.

Ah i see, i will pick a different mcguffin then. I had always thought Adamantium stuff was kinda like super rare stuff.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Thanks for the thieves guild hooks, I'm gonna let the ideas stew a little and see what comes out :v:
Okay so mulled it over and had a completely different brainwave: the thieves guild has kidnapped a ghost and is blackmailing the party.

There are some backstory elements at play. The party druid has a direct line to his late former master in the afterlife. The party is carrying a valuable artifact. And the catacombs have a connection to the afterlife too.

I figure the druid will receive a letter along the lines of "we have your master, leave the artifact in the catacombs". I might take the time to make up a prop all with cut out letters and stuff. Maybe it comes with an ectoplasmic finger. The necromancer will have locked off the connection so they have to go through him. I think the part I like most is if they die to the necromancer, they can still deal with the kidnappers in the afterlife, just have to find a way out.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Someone point out any glaring things I'm missing in this.

The way I'm going to run the Daask in my game is as described in the Eberron campaign, except the bosses of the organization will not actually exist. All jobs/orders/etc will be handed down from sub-bosses who are the actual bosses. My players will be meeting with an associate of Niho-Koi's to receive instructions on a heist. Unbeknownst to them, this will actually be one of the bosses, but they will simply claim to work for Niho-Koi who exists in name only. This is not likely a thing that will be revealed for some time, but I kind of liked the idea of these feared names that exist in whispers, but in reality aren't anyone at all, thus helping keep anonymity.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Seems a little pointless unless you're going to have the party hired to ice the big boss or something?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Start thinking of some really satisfying way for the players to get revenge. When they find out the whole, "Sorry, the true villain is in another den of iniquity. Spare me and I'll point the way!" thing is a ruse you want to avoid hard feelings. My first thought is to have a big mansion or something in Niho-Koi's name. The sub-bosses meet there to get the details about their "boss" straight and to make up new stories. Maybe they have a little "shrine" to Niho-Koi in the basemen. Where they "offer" loot that they cannot peacefully split or just want to save for emergencies. When the party knows the secret and have subdued all the sub-bosses ownership of the mansion is just a forgery or two away. Maybe the deed is inside the mansion, allowing a clever party to steal the mansion from under the villains' noses. Edit: Since the owner doesn't exist, the deed and other documents inside allow the party to easily usurp ownership of the mansion. Throw in a hat of disguise or a polymorph to really sell the takeover. Edit Edit: A ritual circle inside the mansion contains a piece of each of the sub-bosses, a finger, a tooth, or something. It allows them to say anything they have agreed on about Niho-Koi to not magically register as a lie. Maybe also a small bonus against mundane detection of the lie.

Edit: Nothing wrong with including a plot or subplot just because you think it would be cool. You are trying to have fun at the table too, afterall.

I really want to shoehorn in a fantasy knockoff of a science fiction plot I read, but can't justify it as foreshadowing advice. Basically a routine mission could save a lot of money by only having two crew on the ship. But the spacemen refuse to operate without a captain, due to arguments about seniority and longstanding tradition. So the psychologists hypnotize the spacemen to think a captain is on board and delegating their duties as a training measure. Letting them think that most of the stuff the other person on board does has been handled by the captain. Don't make that the big secret behind the villain's arrangement. But it could be a trick they pull on some underlings. Edit Edit: Maybe the old: disguise yourself as one underling while giving the other marching orders and the briefing. So when the heist starts they both think they need to shut up and do their job because the boss is watching.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 11, 2020

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
For my supers campaign, I need a ninja organization, because that's a trope.

But I only care about lower case ninja (stealthy, swords, assassins, mysticism, dozens of them swarming from nowhere), not upper case Ninja (covert agent of feudal Japan). I'm leary of making them exotic Asians just because comic tropes from the 50s-70s felt that was the way.

So I'm looking for help. What're some good ideas for "ninjas" as an organization that doesn't reek of orientalism?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Modify what the reboot Valiant did with NinjaK and have an organization of 007s and Jason Bournes for hire. Maybe tie the mystic elements into them having secrets the government (which government? All of them. The organization has hired or recruited from all of them) doesn’t want you to find out. instead of awkward “eastern” mysticism it’s ALIEN MAGIC.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

CitizenKeen posted:

But I only care about lower case ninja (stealthy, swords, assassins, mysticism, dozens of them swarming from nowhere), not upper case Ninja (covert agent of feudal Japan). I'm leary of making them exotic Asians just because comic tropes from the 50s-70s felt that was the way.

So I'm looking for help. What're some good ideas for "ninjas" as an organization that doesn't reek of orientalism?

Caveman ninjas
Animal-person ninjas
Parkour ninjas
Sewer ninjas
European knight ninjas

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost

CitizenKeen posted:

Make them exotic Westerners instead. They're a fraternal order in the vein of Masonic lodges who've read too much Aleister Crowley. They recruit promising atheletes from Ivy League frat houses and train them up to be stealthy agents of the night. Key to their dogma is that killing should always be done personally -- so although their senior members could quite easily use their power and influence to have their enemies suffer a death-by-cop, there would be no honour in such a thing: it's shadowy squads of ninja preppies in the night or nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CitizenKeen posted: