Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Whooooooops:

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1990746

quote:

A most unlikely collection of suspects - law schools, their deans, U.S. News & World Report and its employees - may have committed felonies by publishing false information as part of U.S. News' ranking of law schools. The possible federal felonies include mail and wire fraud, conspiracy, racketeering, and making false statements. Employees of law schools and U.S. News who committed these crimes can be punished as individuals, and under federal law the schools and U.S. News would likely be criminally liable for their agents' crimes.

Some law schools and their deans submitted false information about the schools' expenditures and their students' undergraduate grades and LSAT scores. Others submitted information that may have been literally true but was misleading. Examples include misleading statistics about recent graduates' employment rates and students' undergraduate grades and LSAT scores.

U.S. News itself may have committed mail and wire fraud. It has republished, and sold for profit, data submitted by law schools without verifying the data's accuracy, despite being aware that at least some schools were submitting false and misleading data. U.S. News refused to correct incorrect data and rankings errors and continued to sell that information even after individual schools confessed that they had submitted false information. In addition, U.S. News marketed its surveys and rankings as valid although they were riddled with fundamental methodological errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
yessssssss wanna see Dean Z in leg irons

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Bill "it's a complex question as to whether the cost [of law school] is higher than it should be or is justified" Robinson is visiting my professional responsibility class today and tomorrow--mostly to talk about how Congress should stay out of regulating the profession because liberty and eagles and :911:

I don't even know

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So I just got into BC Law. How's BC perceived among lawyers? Decently?

I'll find out about financial aid and scholarships in a bit, but I just got in and want to know what people think.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Teddybear posted:

I'll find out about financial aid and scholarships in a bit, but I just got in and want to know what people think.

BC Law killed my parents.

edit: Actually those bastards waitlisted and then rejected me when I eventually got into multiple T-14 schools. So gently caress them.

gret fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 27, 2012

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 30, 2013

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Teddybear posted:

BC is well-regarded in the Boston area, but like all non-t14s, you either are in the cream of the crop or you're hosed.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I go to BC. I'd say about 30-45% of 3Ls have jobs right now. Most of them are people who summered at a firm for 2L summer. Not looking too bright for everyone else, although a decent amount of people get hired at local DA offices and that doesn't occur until this spring semester. The name is great is Boston and somewhat good in NYC, but beyond that you need good grades and the ability to sell yourself. I would highly recommend taking a year or two off (but I recommend this to anyone going anywhere, just so you have a chance to do something not law in your lifetime). If you're interested in public service, BC gives out 3 public service scholarships each year (full tuition). You would definitely need public service work experience to compete for those. The professors and students here are all great.

Class of 2011 placement of new grads in NLJ 250 firms came out today: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?interactive=true&id=1202543436520

Obviously, the numbers are skewed for some schools because of high clerkship numbers. At BC, a top 15-25% finish after 1L will pretty much guarantee you a firm job (albeit not at the top of the top of Boston firms). Anything else and you'll need to apply everywhere and be above average at interviewing.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Tetrix posted:

I go to BC. I'd say about 30-45% of 3Ls have jobs right now. Most of them are people who summered at a firm for 2L summer. Not looking too bright for everyone else, although a decent amount of people get hired at local DA offices and that doesn't occur until this spring semester. The name is great is Boston and somewhat good in NYC, but beyond that you need good grades and the ability to sell yourself. I would highly recommend taking a year or two off (but I recommend this to anyone going anywhere, just so you have a chance to do something not law in your lifetime). If you're interested in public service, BC gives out 3 public service scholarships each year (full tuition). You would definitely need public service work experience to compete for those. The professors and students here are all great.

Class of 2011 placement of new grads in NLJ 250 firms came out today: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?interactive=true&id=1202543436520

Obviously, the numbers are skewed for some schools because of high clerkship numbers. At BC, a top 15-25% finish after 1L will pretty much guarantee you a firm job (albeit not at the top of the top of Boston firms). Anything else and you'll need to apply everywhere and be above average at interviewing.

Ouch, look at UIUC, 11%. Not that Emory did much better.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Tetrix posted:

Whoa, wasn't Cornell above 50% last year?

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

evilweasel posted:

BC is well-regarded in the Boston area, but like all non-t14s, you either are in the cream of the crop or you're hosed.

Only, people who go to non-t14s aren't hosed, and your post is just an enormous exaggeration. There are plenty of reasons not to go to law school, but there's also a big difference between schools ranked at the very end of the list, and those that are simply ranked a little beyond the first fourteen.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Whoa, wasn't Cornell above 50% last year?

Yeah I'm pretty sure I saw that same stat for last year when they were styling on most of the top 10. This is just a drop.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Lilosh posted:

See United States v. Arnold, 486 F.3d 177, 210 (2007).

When I saw United States v. Arnold I thought it was United States v. Arnold, 523 F.3d 941 (9th Cir. 2008).

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Soothing Vapors posted:

yessssssss wanna see Dean Z in leg irons

Don't talk that way about Sarah :crossarms:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Petey posted:

Don't talk that way about Sarah :crossarms:

TO THE STOCKADES WITH HER

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
Dear 16 Year Old Me, Don't Go to Law School: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShliKfsLQo0&feature=share

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?
Law revue videos are the highlight of law school (don't go to law school): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-JFzNpKAnY&context=C3c3285eADOEgsToPDskKnOcbIlqQqPmb6ZHpYGdO5

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Grammar Fascist posted:

Law revue videos are the highlight of law school (don't go to law school): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-JFzNpKAnY&context=C3c3285eADOEgsToPDskKnOcbIlqQqPmb6ZHpYGdO5

Bearded guy cool other three putzes are putzes.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Grammar Fascist posted:

It's Bernie Goetz not Bennie Goetz :colbert: gunner my rear end

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yale, Chicago, Northwestern are officially not T14 anymore.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2012/02/law-school-1.html

I would quote but it's a table chart thingy.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

you forgot Penn

as you should have

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

sigmachiev posted:

Add HKS and Syracuse to your list of schools. Goldman is cool and I've met solid people there so if you want more on Berkeley lemme know. My understanding is it's heavy on quant relative to other places and quite good for that end of it. If you get one of those five I say go for it over law school depending on your work experience and if you have a background in stat, math or econ.

I don't have a lot of background but I am ready and willing to heavy on quant, which IMO is what recommends MPP over JD for what I want to do (in theory, I don't know how this works out in practice however). It seems like for policy analysis, quant is pretty necessary. I will definitely be in touch later after getting more information.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

entris posted:

Yale, Chicago, Northwestern are officially not T14 anymore.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2012/02/law-school-1.html

I would quote but it's a table chart thingy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

That chart needs to be modified by the number of graduates in the appropriate years.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

evilweasel posted:

That chart needs to be modified by the number of graduates in the appropriate years.

Not to mention how many actually went into private practice at all or clerked instead of going straight to a firm.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I'm so glad I went to law school before youtubes and law revues

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Law revue is like the best thing in law school.
Not for participating, but for getting hammered.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEBC0IC2Crc

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Jesus Christ

aarontxwl
Apr 21, 2003

This is probably the sort of question that's been done to death in this thread, but what's the tried and true advice for the MPRE? I need to get an 85 on this thing and I got an A in my Professional Responsibility class, but I need to refresh myself on all of it in the next couple weeks. Is there a go-to supplement or should I just relearn my outline for class and do practice questions?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Truly insufferable.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

aarontxwl posted:

This is probably the sort of question that's been done to death in this thread, but what's the tried and true advice for the MPRE?

Depending on your tolerance, stick to only 3 to 5 drinks the night before, so that you aren't hungover when you take the test.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

aarontxwl posted:

This is probably the sort of question that's been done to death in this thread, but what's the tried and true advice for the MPRE? I need to get an 85 on this thing and I got an A in my Professional Responsibility class, but I need to refresh myself on all of it in the next couple weeks. Is there a go-to supplement or should I just relearn my outline for class and do practice questions?

The MPRE is a joke, and if you can't figure out how to pass it on your own you shouldn't be allowed to be a lawyer.

Also, doesn't Barbri have a free course? Just do that.

And by do that I mean watch the video on fast forward.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

HiddenReplaced posted:

The MPRE is a joke, and if you can't figure out how to pass it on your own you shouldn't be allowed to be a lawyer.

Also, doesn't Barbri have a free course? Just do that.

And by do that I mean watch the video on fast forward.

What he said.

We tried to get the closest to 85 we could and most of us overshot it by 40 points.

aarontxwl
Apr 21, 2003

Okay I basically registred in January and haven't thought about it until now. I just don't want to (a) overstudy for it or (b) be that guy who has to retake it. But if it's a complete loving joke I'll just find the Barbri thing and maybe do some practice questions. I was also under the impression that an 85 means 85/100 so okay I'm going to continue not worrying about it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I thought my law school was filled with douchebags but holy cow none of them were youtube bad.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Agreeing with this. I took it cold during my 3L year long after I'd forgotten everything I read if I ever read anything relevant for it. Passed with flying colors.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

aarontxwl posted:

Okay I basically registred in January and haven't thought about it until now. I just don't want to (a) overstudy for it or (b) be that guy who has to retake it. But if it's a complete loving joke I'll just find the Barbri thing and maybe do some practice questions. I was also under the impression that an 85 means 85/100 so okay I'm going to continue not worrying about it.

150 and it's scaled.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
I passed the MPRE cold... for Kansas, but not Colorado. So I looked over the book and retook it and then overshot the Colorado minimum by something like 40. Depends on what state you're aiming for, I suppose.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

aarontxwl posted:

Take 5 hours and study for it just to ensure you don't have to retake it, because I'm pretty sure retaking the MPRE is the kind of shame that permanently stains a man's soul. By 5 hours I mean watch the barbri video and skim the outline

If you don't pass by at least 20 points after that, kill yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I'm hanging out in Tahoe for two days before the test that's how seriously I take this advice not to take MBRE seriously.

The test date itself did gently caress up a Vegas trip which I'm extra bitter about. Tahoe was a consolation prize to myself.