Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
In weirder news you can now get Dave benson phillips off of legendary gunge-related CBBC show "get your own back" to do removals for you with his big red van

http://www.davebensonphillips.co.uk/

What happened to big dave you might ask?

quote:

I understand that you were the victim of an internet ‘death hoax’ in 2009. What happened? How did you manage to cope with such a difficult situation?

To tell you the truth, I really haven’t coped with it all that well. When it happened I wasn’t internet savvy; I didn’t even have a Facebook page. And, of course, these things happened without my knowledge. The first I knew about it was when people started phoning up, being very apologetic to my wife. One day she had something like 15 calls. Somebody eventually sent through a link. We looked at it and sat there horrified. I was touring at the time, and theatres began to cancel my gigs because they thought I’d been killed in a car crash. I tried to rush round and say: “Look, I’m not dead,” but the damage had been done.

It was horrible. We tried to get the announcement out there, but it was too late by that point. We put up a Facebook page and started a Twitter account, but people were still perpetuating this myth. Then things got very dark. We began to find ourselves embroiled in masquerade Twitter accounts, where people were pretending to be me. Children’s special needs groups were getting very offended at the stuff I was supposed to have said online, and it wasn’t me! From the moment it happened to now, we’re still smoothing it out. It’s ongoing. What may have started as a prank became more sinister as time went on. It’s been awful. I call it a blip because, thankfully, people did see through it.

People still offered me the work, but there was a time when the large companies wouldn’t come near me, especially with the other horrible rumours that came out. There was one rumour that I’d had a nervous breakdown and nobody would hire me. The other one was that I was hosting a show called Babestation. It was absolutely horrible, and the knock-on effects are still affecting us now.

http://www.allaboutcareers.com/features/article/118/dave-benson-phillips-children-s-television-presenter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

I thought this episode of The Railway was good, possibly the best yet. Felt much better paced and lingered on things unnecessarily less. I loved all the signalmen and especially the train guard and is unashamed love of drama, though I am wondering when the information desk guy is going to come into the thread and say hello...

Also that DBP poo poo is insane, I used to think the death hoax thing was an extraordinarily long-lived and well-put together act of wikipedia vandalism and that the reasons for his downfall were far more mundane but yeah, apparently not. I follow him on Twitter and his career's really gone downhill, such a shame.

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 8, 2013

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Jonnty posted:

I thought this episode of The Railway was good, possibly the best yet. Felt much better paced and lingered on things unnecessarily less. I loved all the signalmen and especially the train guard as is unashamed love of drama, though I am wondering when the information desk guy is going to come into the thread and say hello...

I'd love that guy's job. How do I get it?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Having watching a lot of the shows with Dave Benson Phillips as a young child, I can't really understand why somebody would be pretty enough to spring and keep up such a horrible rumour?

Still, lovely to see he is back on track again and getting work.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

onoflalks posted:

I'd love that guy's job. How do I get it?

I think his is the only one of the customer service ones I'd want, you're nice and safely behind a plastic screen.

I also enjoy how they've taken the "customer complaining/cut to the reality on the ground" thing from the Tube to another level. The cut from "I blame the unions - maybe they should work at night, lazy fucks!" to a track gang who have been working hard all night was a masterful.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

SeanBeansShako posted:

Having watching a lot of the shows with Dave Benson Phillips as a young child, I can't really understand why somebody would be pretty enough to spring and keep up such a horrible rumour?

The internet is a bad place full of mean people :(

I'm sure I saw him on the panel on a TV show pretty recently though, think it might have been a Big Brother spinoff show, but hopefully he showed a lot of people that he's not dead

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Well this is on on Sunday, and I think I'll be watching: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21698327

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Charlie Brooker was talking on a podcast recently about all the TV shows he's been doing.

http://www.asitecalledfred.com/2013/03/07/charlie-brooker-ken-plume-chat/

Most telling thing for me was that Brooker said that the BBC wanted the Weekly Wipe format to essentially turn into another loving panel show. Is there a guy in the BBC who's entire job it is just to suggest that anything with a comic tint to it should be turned into a panel show?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

Charlie Brooker was talking on a podcast recently about all the TV shows he's been doing.

Most telling thing for me was that Brooker said that the BBC wanted the Weekly Wipe format to essentially turn into another loving panel show. Is there a guy in the BBC who's entire job it is just to suggest that anything with a comic tint to it should be turned into a panel show?

I wouldn't mind a full show where Brooker discusses releases of the week with others, he had some good guests on those Wipe segments. But they were totally out of place and so short as to be pointless.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You Have Been Watching was great so it's not like a Charlie Brooker panel show is that bad of an idea. Actually, just bring that show back.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Those 'A Bit Of A Chat' interviews are, by and large, really funny and interesting. Plume's a really pleasant, and talented, interviewer.

There is one guest, DC Pierson, who has popped up a couple of times and he uses the word "like" every three words. I'm not exaggerating. It makes those episodes impossible to sit through.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Stare-Out posted:

You Have Been Watching was great so it's not like a Charlie Brooker panel show is that bad of an idea. Actually, just bring that show back.

I seem to recall laughing a lot more in a single episode of YHBW a few years ago compared to the more recent series of Have I Got News For You which now barely raise a chuckle or wry smile from me.

They got to drop a current panel show though, there really is too much of them now.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

I seem to recall laughing a lot more in a single episode of YHBW a few years ago compared to the more recent series of Have I Got News For You which now barely raise a chuckle or wry smile from me.

They got to drop a current panel show though, there really is too much of them now.
The only thing YHBW needed was David Mitchell to be a constant part of the panel. Him and Brooker arguing is so drat entertaining. Though granted, Mitchell arguing with anyone is entertaining.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I really liked YHBW. I think it caught a bit of flak at first because it just wasn't screenwipe, but there was a lot of good stuff on it.

Also it was the thing that introduced me to Deadliest Warrior and that show is hilarious.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

The only thing YHBW needed was David Mitchell to be a constant part of the panel. Him and Brooker arguing is so drat entertaining. Though granted, Mitchell arguing with anyone is entertaining.

When I went to a recording of the Unbelievable Truth last August, it was brilliant when he got semantic about some of the topics but it can get quite tedious on something like Would I Lie to You?, but WILTY tries my patience to start with.

One thing I want to recommend is the Australian version of You Have Been Watching because it's a really, really good adaptation.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Panel shows are extremely cheap to make with quick turnaround and will be popular by default as long as they keep inviting the usual panelheads on.

If I was to change Weekly Wipe it should become Fortnightly Wipe, 45mins/1hr long and run throughout the year :swoon:

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

He made a pretty good point about the interview bits being not-Screenwipe-y because he's not that TV-arsehole-who-will-fake-wank-to-anything in person.

But that doesn't matter, he's on BBC Two now so he needs to attract a large audience and they all love panel shows!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

This is not the games job thread

Akuma fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 8, 2013

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The highlight of YHBW was the episode when they broadcast the poor taste funeral comparison that ITN was trying to erase from the internet. That alone justified its existence.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

SeanBeansShako posted:

He laughed at and gunged people for a living, you dont forget about a gunging when it happens to you, i bet that poo poo gets everywhere. Benson-phillips knew what he was doing and i bet he was laughing all the way to the loving bank when the gungings were coming thick and fast. Looks like some people really did get their own back on him.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

onoflalks posted:

When I went to a recording of the Unbelievable Truth last August, it was brilliant when he got semantic about some of the topics but it can get quite tedious on something like Would I Lie to You?, but WILTY tries my patience to start with.

One thing I want to recommend is the Australian version of You Have Been Watching because it's a really, really good adaptation.

Who is on it? And have you seen the Aussie TV version of The Unbelievable Truth?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gonzo McFee posted:

Tonight on Weekly Wipe, Jo Brand, Dragon's Den Duncan Bannatyne, and Lily Allen!!!!

It would be Room 101 now but with the time limit on what your hated thing is restricted to the last week only.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

thehustler posted:

Who is on it? And have you seen the Aussie TV version of The Unbelievable Truth?

Peter Berner presented it, and had rotating guests, but without the weird sort-of-flirting between the host and Josie Long (read more if you want)

I haven't seen the Aussie Unbelievable Truth, but I have seen the New Zealand Would I Lie to You? and it looks like it was made on a £7.99 budget.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Something just hit me today like a tonne of bricks.

Steve Coogan is now 47. He's the same age Alan Partridge was in series 2 of I'm Alan Partridge.

:stare:

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
So excited for the movie. The I, Partridge audiobook is pretty much the greatest comedy thing ever.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I, Partridge is fantastic also because it complements KMKYWAP, I'm Alan Partridge and Mid Morning Matters instead of just retelling the events. One of the best things was Alan's version of his fight with super fan Jed Thomas; in the show (in reality) he was completely subdued and terrified and in the book he claims he used some form of martial arts to dispatch of the guy.

The movie's gonna be great.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Sorry to butt in here, but I quite urgently need to download the Scotland vs Wales rugby game from BBC iPlayer but its currently playing live. I can't seem to do it on BBC iPlayer Desktop. Is there any other way?

edit: Ah, I'm wrong! Ireland vs France is playing live; the Scotland game isn't available. Any idea how long it takes to show up?

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 9, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Anything from a few minutes to 12 hours. It's quite random.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

You might not be able to download it, as most live sports broadcasts are pretty restrictive rights-wise

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Kevin Eldon's new show, It's Kevin, starts Sunday March 17th, directed by Barry Shitpeas himself
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00wwryv

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Bloodbath posted:

So excited for the movie. The I, Partridge audiobook is pretty much the greatest comedy thing ever.

I read the book and loved it, but it's nothing compared to the audiobook. Coogan's delivery just makes so many of the lines so much better.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://www.audible.co.uk/spurs
One month free audible membership, comes with a token which you can use to download an audiobook. you can cancel as soon as you've downloaded your book. Uses your amazon account

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm still really liking The Last Leg. I could listen to Adam Hills calling people dicks all day. :allears: Josh Widdicombe and Alex Brooker are great too. They're all just really brilliant together.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

McDragon posted:

I'm still really liking The Last Leg. I could listen to Adam Hills calling people dicks all day. :allears: Josh Widdicombe and Alex Brooker are great too. They're all just really brilliant together.

I've recently started watching that myself, after catching it on a whim trying out TV Catchup on my phone. Wish I had been watching during the Paralympics, because it always seemed like a bold piece of commissioning. Hills and Widdicombe I knew were good from Mock the Week, Brooker I think is like James Corden, but funny.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

McDragon posted:

There is something delightful about the way Adam Hills states "You're being a dick" in that marvellously clear-cut Australian accent of his. I want him to do a show where he just walks around a major city all day, pointing out major acts of dickery.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

pointsofdata posted:

One month free audible membership, comes with a token which you can use to download an audiobook. you can cancel as soon as you've downloaded your book. Uses your amazon account

Thanks for the link there, listening to 'We need to talk about Alan' and it is really funny. Him reading it definitely makes it.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

pointsofdata posted:

Its common courtesy to tell everyone when you are linking it via a reward system for yourself.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Irisi posted:

There is something delightful about the way Adam Hills states "You're being a dick" in that marvellously clear-cut Australian accent of his. I want him to do a show where he just walks around a major city all day, pointing out major acts of dickery.

Would probably turn out something like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_UGD7AazMI

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Doesn't anyone watch Being Human any more or is there a thread for it I missed.

It was so good and now it's over :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I watched it up until they axed most of the original cast, apparently it was still good after that but I kind of lost interest as I think many did. I'm sure I've seen people posting about in this thread sometimes though