Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

My PIN is 4826 posted:

The cost of repairs carried out under applecare on my last macbook probably got close to the value of the machine itself (1 logic board, 2 screens, 1 optical drive, 1 charger, 1 fan), and then I came back 5 years after purchasing it to get another logic board replacement under UK consumer law :v:

Just one logic board and screen would typically cost more to replace than purchasing a new macbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Kreeblah posted:

AppleCare has different prices for different products. Getting it on an rMBP from the education store is $239.

Point was it's way cheaper with a student discount. and 239 is really worth the peace of mind on a $2k+ machine, esp since in my experience apple tends to replace more poo poo for free (even it's user error) if you've got applecare. Also, things tend to break more for me when I don't have Applecare

Hell I spilled tea on a macbook air with applecare, and they replaced the battery for free (granted, the machine worked perfectly fine after it dried off).

I've also had apple replace countless chargers that I managed to break, and the moment i mentioned applecare they were like here's a new one, enjoy.

IMO it's helped me get poo poo sorted quicker, and $239 isn't a lot of money anyway when you're talking Apple products. It may change in the future, but so far I think it's a good investment, esp for a careless person such as myself.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 26, 2014

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

awesome-express posted:

Point was it's way cheaper with a student discount. and 239 is really worth the peace of mind on a $2k+ machine, esp since in my experience apple tends to replace more poo poo for free (even it's user error) if you've got applecare. Also, things tend to break more for me when I don't have Applecare

Hell I spilled tea on a macbook air with applecare, and they replaced the battery for free (granted, the machine worked perfectly fine after it dried off).

I've also had apple replace countless chargers that I managed to break, and the moment i mentioned applecare they were like here's a new one, enjoy.

IMO it's helped me get poo poo sorted quicker, and $239 isn't a lot of money anyway when you're talking Apple products. It may change in the future, but so far I think it's a good investment, esp for a careless person such as myself.

This is a pretty abnormal experience. Apple more often than not does not replace damaged chargers, regardless of AppleCare, and you got crazy crazy crazy lucky with the tea laptop. That kind of poo poo does not happen.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Kingnothing posted:

Apple more often than not does not replace damaged chargers, regardless of AppleCare, and you got crazy crazy crazy lucky with the tea laptop. That kind of poo poo does not happen.

Had 3 different Macbook Pros over the years with AppleCare

Probably had about 6 or more chargers replaced in total. I think it was more.

Never a single complaint out of the employee

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I'm a cheapskate who bought the minimum spec 13" MBA. I've got a USB hard drive that I use for basically everything except applications and text files and I take it everywhere with me. It feels cumbersome in certain situations, and one more than one occasion I've caused it to fall by inadvertently yanking the USB cable. The last time this happened, my vision suddenly changed to black & white, I swiveled around in my desk chair and gazed off into the space above my left shoulder, flung up my hands and cried out "There's got to be a better waaayyyy!"

Sleep did not find me easily that night, and I had a fever dream. I was floating around inside a television, and off in the distance was a soundstage made up to resemble an office. On the desk sat my Macbook, but something was different about it. It was in a plastic case, and on the right side of the upper section of a case was sort of rectangular extrusion sticking up a little over half an inch.

A disembodied voice echoed down to me from somewhere deeper within the television space. It said, "Now you'll never have to worry about the hassle of lugging around that old portable hard drive ever again!" The voice was cheerful, and its booming exuberance was paradoxically soothing. Suddenly everything made sense. There was a flash of light, and my portable hard drive appeared on the desk next to the Macbook. It rose up a few inches above the desktop as if being moved by a poltergeist, and deliberately flew into the extrusion, seating itself with a click. A flat USB cable, looking almost like a motherboard ribbon, extended itself from the side of the hard drive and into the USB port on the right of the laptop.

Ever since this dream, I've been wondering if it might really exist. Maybe not in the exact configuration revealed to me by the aether, but something that essentially allows the user to attach an external hard drive to the Macbook directly. Does anyone know of such a thing?

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 26, 2014

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

This is a pretty abnormal experience. Apple more often than not does not replace damaged chargers, regardless of AppleCare, and you got crazy crazy crazy lucky with the tea laptop. That kind of poo poo does not happen.

The only time we refuse a swap is if the cable has been obviously abused and/or cut. The vast majority get replaced no questions asked.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

I'm a cheapskate who bought the minimum spec 13" MBA. I've got a USB hard drive that I use for basically everything except applications and text files and I take it everywhere with me. It feels cumbersome in certain situations, and one more than one occasion I've caused it to fall by inadvertently yanking the USB cable. The last time this happened, my vision suddenly changed to black & white, I swiveled around in my desk chair and gazed off into the space above my left shoulder, flung up my hands and cried out "There's got to be a better waaayyyy!"

Sleep did not find me easily that night, and I had a fever dream. I was floating around inside a television, and off in the distance was a soundstage made up to resemble an office. On the desk sat my Macbook, but something was different about it. It was in a plastic case, and on the right side of the upper section of a case was sort of rectangular extrusion sticking up a little over half an inch.

A disembodied voice echoed down to me from somewhere deeper within the television space. It said, "Now you'll never have to worry about the hassle of lugging around that old portable hard drive ever again!" The voice was cheerful, and its booming exuberance was paradoxically soothing. Suddenly everything made sense. There was a flash of light, and my portable hard drive appeared on the desk next to the Macbook. It rose up a few inches above the desktop as if being moved by a poltergeist, and deliberately flew into the extrusion, seating itself with a click. A flat USB cable, looking almost like a motherboard ribbon, extended itself from the side of the hard drive and into the USB port on the right of the laptop.

Ever since this dream, I've been wondering if it might really exist. Maybe not in the exact configuration revealed to me by the aether, but something that essentially allows the user to attach an external hard drive to the Macbook directly. Does anyone know of such a thing?
One really ghetto way I can think of is a short USB cable with a right angled end to minimize the amount of cable sticking out, and attaching the drive to the back of the display somehow. Other than just sticking the drive on with some adhesive (probably want to use a shell if you do this I guess) you can try rigging some hanging drive setup when the display is open, although the latter would probably just be more cumbersome since you move it around.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Ditch the wires:

http://samsunghdd.seagate.com/wireless/

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Forbin5 posted:

I just bought a new iMac with no apple care.
BRING IT WORLD.

Return it. Embrace the 2014 Retinal iMac.

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

theadder posted:

A [full powered] 27" retina display this year? Doubt it.

Forbin5 fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 26, 2014

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

theadder posted:

Is a retinal Imac implanted directly into your retina? :ohdear:

And I'm feeling pretty smug about Applecare, Norwegian laws says that computers have to work for 5 years :smug:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Dunno how much room you need but this may be a good option.

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-StorEDGE-Memory-Expansion-P-MEMEXP64U1-EF/dp/B00DC9TN72

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Selklubber posted:

Is a retinal Imac implanted directly into your retina? :ohdear:

And I'm feeling pretty smug about Applecare, Norwegian laws says that computers have to work for 5 years :smug:

more like governmentcare amirite :haw:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Can I back up via Time Machine to a hard drive attached to the Airport Extreme?

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 26, 2014

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I had that for my 2013 rMBP 13". It sticks out about 1/2". It's nothing like it is pictured in the product listing. It wasn't just the fat nub sticking out but the majority of the card itself.

I'm looking at this now, but haven't bought it yet:

http://www.amazon.com/Nifty-MiniDrive-MacBook-Retina-Display/dp/B00IWDKEN0/ref=pd_sim_pc_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=04MRYPNAFPPYP5MJ1Q1V

Mainly because it's $40, and then you have to buy an SD card. It's not worth it if you don't get a big card, and then you might as well just get a laptop with a bigger HD.

EDIT: On Apple care, my credit card doubles MFG warrantees, so I have two years of warranty on rMBP. Stories of Apple stores replacing MacBooks when someone spilled tea on them are not typically and are an exception to their clearly stated policy. Having the warranty for that purpose is a bad idea. I don't keep electronics for more than two years anyways, I like to sell them while they still have value and roll the money into my new purchase. If you have a Macbook for 6 years and then sell it and buy a new one, you pretty much spend the same amount as selling it every two years and buying a new (or refurbished one) with the money.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 26, 2014

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Just get this if you have a 13" rMBP, it's $40 and includes the 64GB

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K73NSXQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=27NK41DMM20Q0&coliid=IM012RKMIMUX4

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

FordPRefectLL posted:

Can I back up via Time Machine to a hard drive attached to the Airport Extreme?

Yes

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

As far as the options for expanding storage without having to deal with a dangly USB hard drive goes, I can't work with anything that uses the SD card port. My photography workflow depends on transferring from sdcard to USB HD. A wireless, battery-powered portable HD would be a great solution. I just don't know if 7 hours of battery life would be sufficient. Guess I need to look into whether it's 7 hours of read/write time or 'whoops it's been in my backpack 7 hours and now it's dead even though I only used it once today.'

Or maybe I'll get creative. I already think that the plastic shell/sleeve protector thing that I keep on my MBA degrades its visual appeal. I wonder how much worse it would look with some aluminum brackets and a big plastic rectangle hanging off of it. Then again maybe not. My coworker shattered her MBA's screen by "closing it too hard" and adding weight to it would only increase the likelihood of that happening to mine.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Yeah I mean failing that just a fuckoff huge USB stick I guess, I mean you can get USB3 sticks with 128GB, or USB2 versions that are super tiny (though not exceptionally fast, but maybe okay for storing things that aren't photos or that you need fast access to?)

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

My coworker shattered her MBA's screen by "closing it too hard" and adding weight to it would only increase the likelihood of that happening to mine.

Your coworker dropped that computer.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Or closed it on a pen or some poo poo.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Sonic Dude posted:

Your coworker dropped that computer.

Knowing her, she probably slammed it down like it was her redheaded stepchild. I try to close my lid more gingerly ever since she told me about it, though. Heh.

I could go with a high capacity flash drive I suppose, but I would still need regular access to higher (>100GB) volumes of data, and using the flash drive would necessitate a backup to the HD at the end of every work day. (And I already backup to a file hosting service so it's a layer of redundancy that isn't needed.)

I guess there's really no perfect solution, especially since I can see now why my dream quest vision of a piggyback hard drive probably isn't a viable solution.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Knowing her, she probably slammed it down like it was her redheaded stepchild. I try to close my lid more gingerly ever since she told me about it, though. Heh.

I could go with a high capacity flash drive I suppose, but I would still need regular access to higher (>100GB) volumes of data, and using the flash drive would necessitate a backup to the HD at the end of every work day. (And I already backup to a file hosting service so it's a layer of redundancy that isn't needed.)

I guess there's really no perfect solution, especially since I can see now why my dream quest vision of a piggyback hard drive probably isn't a viable solution.

She would have had to literally slam the lid down with as much force as she possibly could, unless there was already a crack.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I don't know how many times I've seen people checking in a computer at the shop who will slam the clamshell down like it's the door of a beat-up pickup truck. Then they ask why their hard drive failed or why the hinge is all jacked when their $1500 computer looks like it's been thrown violently into incoming traffic.

e: Unrelated but reminds me of a repair a few months ago. Customer brought his 13" air in because his trackpad wasn't clicking properly. When he pulled it out of his bag, the bottom case was bent in a 135 degree angle. He swore it wasn't like that when he put it in his bag. I opened it up, and it was a very swollen battery, all 4 cells. I get the battery out, and the drat case popped back into place. Everything, even the trackpad still worked. Blew my drat mind. Those laptops are tough (within reason). I thought I had taken a before and after pic, but I can't seem to find them.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 27, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

As far as the options for expanding storage without having to deal with a dangly USB hard drive goes, I can't work with anything that uses the SD card port. My photography workflow depends on transferring from sdcard to USB HD. A wireless, battery-powered portable HD would be a great solution. I just don't know if 7 hours of battery life would be sufficient. Guess I need to look into whether it's 7 hours of read/write time or 'whoops it's been in my backpack 7 hours and now it's dead even though I only used it once today.'

Or maybe I'll get creative. I already think that the plastic shell/sleeve protector thing that I keep on my MBA degrades its visual appeal. I wonder how much worse it would look with some aluminum brackets and a big plastic rectangle hanging off of it. Then again maybe not. My coworker shattered her MBA's screen by "closing it too hard" and adding weight to it would only increase the likelihood of that happening to mine.
Well since you already have a shell, just stick some adhesive velcro strips on it and the drive. Get some little velcro strips/ties and you can use it for cable storage too :v:

My concern with the wireless drive would be possible networking issues. Like for that linked one before you have to connect to the drive itself and set up the drive to connect to your wifi like a router, if nothing else I could see that getting annoying or worst case just not working right. There's probably others that work like a NAS on a LAN but then you'd have to switch modes when on the go and deal with network changes.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

empty baggie posted:

I don't know how many times I've seen people checking in a computer at the shop who will slam the clamshell down like it's the door of a beat-up pickup truck. Then they ask why their hard drive failed or why the hinge is all jacked when their $1500 computer looks like it's been thrown violently into incoming traffic.

That makes another case for SSDs and integrated non-exchangeable parts because you can't unseat them and you can probably slam an SSD any way you want unless you outright break it in two.

What's mind-boggling for me is people who point out things on a screen by touching it with their fingers. When the sun or other light shines on it just right, you see a million oily fingerprints.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The only thing worse than people who point things out on their screens by jabbing them with your finger is people who do that on your screen :argh:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Although I linked it, I have no personal experience with that wifi HDD, so I can't tell you much about its battery life. Sorry!

I should come clean about my personal motivations, though. I was aware of that wifi HDD's existence because it uses a chip that I worked on.

Also, did you notice the weirdness of it being a Samsung product on Seagate's website? Seagate bought Samsung's HDD division, but thanks to some complications with the Chinese government, they're still operating it as an independent business. Seagate also sells a wireless HDD of its own design, which does not have our chip. So don't buy that one, guys! It totally sucks! Buy the "Seagate Samsung" one instead!

(i have no idea if the pure-Seagate drive sucks)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Is it normal for the MacBook Pro 13" (October 2013) to get really hot?

I understand that during gaming it's normal to get really warm, but yesterday I was importing pictures into iPhoto from an SD card and the bottom got almost uncomfortably hot. It also seems to get quite warm when I download or copy files across my wifi network, etc.

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 27, 2014

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Vinlaen posted:

Is it normal for the MacBook Pro 13" (October 2013) to get really hot?

I understand that during gaming it's normal to get really warm, but yesterday I was importing pictures into iPhone from an SD card and the bottom got almost uncomfortably hot. It also seems to get quite warm when I download or copy files across my wifi network, etc.

You mean iPhoto? My 13-inch rMBP usually runs at 34-38° C just surfing, not warm at all. Didja check Activity Monitor to see if there's a runaway process taking up too much CPU?

Try also downloading Macs Fan Control (free) to see just how hot, and maybe adjust the fan to keep the CPU cooler.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 27, 2014

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Caged posted:

The only thing worse than people who point things out on their screens by jabbing them with your finger is people who do that on your screen :argh:

I have fairly poor hand-eye coordination so when I attempt to not touch the screen, I accidentally touch the screen. I'm always worried my coworkers secretly hate me for that. I should buy a laser pointer.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

You mean iPhoto? My 13-inch rMBP usually runs at 34-38° C just surfing, not warm at all. Didja check Activity Monitor to see if there's a runaway process taking up too much CPU?

Try also downloading Macs Fan Control (free) to see just how hot, and maybe adjust the fan to keep the CPU cooler.

Yeah, I meant iPhoto, heh.

I'll have to check the activity monitor and thanks for the info on the fan control utility. I'm debating between this (rMBP) and an 11" MBA anyways, so I might return the rMBP regardless. (the PC is only going to be used on the couch as a light secondary PC and the rMBP seems a bit overkill)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Forbin5 posted:

I just bought a new iMac with no apple care.
BRING IT WORLD.

What? It's kind of spendy on the notebooks, but on an iMac it's $169 and unless it's changed, it's IN HOME SERVICE, even.

Also, based on a sample size of one store, Micro Centers will typically give you the student discount on Applecare if you have a valid ID and often has Macbooks on some kind of discount.

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

AlternateAccount posted:

What? It's kind of spendy on the notebooks, but on an iMac it's $169 and unless it's changed, it's IN HOME SERVICE, even.

Also, based on a sample size of one store, Micro Centers will typically give you the student discount on Applecare if you have a valid ID and often has Macbooks on some kind of discount.

Hmm I work right next to one. I'll check it out. If I can snag it for around 120 with the discount ill do that.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Forbin5 posted:

Hmm I work right next to one. I'll check it out. If I can snag it for around 120 with the discount ill do that.

Yeah, the logic is pretty simple. You could always buy the laptop from them and then go down the road to Apple and get the Applecare there. The only trick is that they will apply the discount to the laptop itself and make you pay full price for the applecare. It all works out.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Vinlaen posted:

Yeah, I meant iPhoto, heh.

I'll have to check the activity monitor and thanks for the info on the fan control utility. I'm debating between this (rMBP) and an 11" MBA anyways, so I might return the rMBP regardless. (the PC is only going to be used on the couch as a light secondary PC and the rMBP seems a bit overkill)

I use my 11" MBA as described and it's great. It'll also handle Civ5 and D3.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thinking of getting a 13" MBA for college. It would be my first Apple thing ever. My primary concern is the battery, i'd like to keep that in good condition as long as possible. From what I read here, you do the usual things like cycle it weekly or so, don't store it at 100% or 0%, and so on. But what about if I'm using it? Could I just keep it plugged in if I use it for an extended period of time, or should I keep it unplugged and only plug it back in when its getting low? Will using this thing constantly hurt the battery?

e: Actually it looks like I can have Apple replace the battery too for ~$130. Not the best cost but it alleviates the anxiety.

buglord fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 27, 2014

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Avocados posted:

Thinking of getting a 13" MBA for college. It would be my first Apple thing ever. My primary concern is the battery, i'd like to keep that in good condition as long as possible. From what I read here, you do the usual things like cycle it weekly or so, don't store it at 100% or 0%, and so on. But what about if I'm using it? Could I just keep it plugged in if I use it for an extended period of time, or should I keep it unplugged and only plug it back in when its getting low? Will using this thing constantly hurt the battery?

e: Actually it looks like I can have Apple replace the battery too for ~$130. Not the best cost but it alleviates the anxiety.

Regarding the choice of 13" MBA, take a look at the 13" rMBP. Similar weight, more power, not quite as good battery life (but still good). Price difference isn't huge either IIRC. Most everyone agrees it's better bang for buck.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Avocados posted:

Just loving use it and don't worry about it. If it's plugged in at your desk most of the time, once every week or two make sure to take it and run the battery down to 10%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Just loving use it and don't worry about it. If it's plugged in at your desk most of the time, once every week or two make sure to take it and run the battery down to 10%.

Note that this is only necessary if it is plugged in literally all of the time. If you unplug it to take it to the library or to class or whatever a few times a week then you are fine.