Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I've already used it for bludgeoning, I wanted to make sure the crimson patina didn't come off with direct flame exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Me in Reverse posted:

I've already used it for bludgeoning, I wanted to make sure the crimson patina didn't come off with direct flame exposure.

Nobody's going to see the bottom of the pan.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Me in Reverse posted:

Kitchen tip: If the red enamel on your dutch oven begins to flake, touch it up with the blood of your enemies!

(If you have any other color dutch oven, you're the enemy.)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pr0k posted:

I would definitely not use one to bludgeon a homeless man in the restroom of a Citgo on I-19 outside of Tuscon.
Not again anyway.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thanks for the tips guys

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

pr0k posted:

Don't listen to these fancypantses. What you are trying to make is cheese fondue. Get a good melty cheese for texture (real american cheese from the deli) and cheddar for flavor. Beer for flavor and texture. Stabilize with cornstarch. Salsa for flavor. It'll survive.

Know what contains sodium citrate? Really dry, even sour white wines like Fendant. Know what's got really dry white wine in it? Swiss cheese fondue.

Just sayin'

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004
Thanks for the hot sauce advice. For some reason I was envisioning a brining process, and didn't consider making a tasty sauce that was... hot. This will require some delicious experiments.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had some fantastic Thai food earlier, the menu called it nam prik pao but apparently that's just the name of a chili sauce. It was a chili sauce, tasted kind of smoky, with shrimp, white onions, green onions, and some other vegetables I couldn't identify. Anybody know what this is?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I've made this nam prik pao, it is really delicious just spread on toast (sorry for weird url, it is no longer on the site but there is a cached version): http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...lient=firefox-a

Then you can use it in stir fries like this (you can change up the vegetables): http://chezpim.com/uncategorized/chilli_paste_st

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is it wrong that I find cod liver tasty?

Only semi-facetious.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I made some beef jerky marinade last night using this recipe

quote:

1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons cracked black pepper, or to taste
4 pounds lean round roast (or other very lean cut), sliced very thin
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
5 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste (optional)

In a small bowl or cup, mix together the onion powder, garlic powder, and some cracked black pepper.

In a saucepan over medium heat, mix together the brown sugar, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, liquid smoke flavoring and pineapple juice. Heat until the brown sugar has completely dissolved. Add the seasoning mixture to the marinade. Pour over the meat, and mix by hand to coat really well. Seal the bowl, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours to marinate (overnight is best though).

Not having 4 pounds of meat, and only two pounds, I decided to freeze half of the marinade for when I make beef jerky next time.

Only problem is, it isn't completely freezing. Anyone know what is keeping it from freezing so that I can add that component individually next time perhaps? I'm figuring either the balsamic or liquid smoke?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

Is it wrong that I find cod liver tasty?

Only semi-facetious.

No. Fish liver owns.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have hamburgers but no buns. I do have just add water pancake mix. Can I make hamburgers with pancakes instead of buns?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Turtlicious posted:

I have hamburgers but no buns. I do have just add water pancake mix. Can I make hamburgers with pancakes instead of buns?

You can do whatever you want. Are you asking how to make something resembling hamburger buns out of pan cake mix?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nwin posted:

You can do whatever you want. Are you asking how to make something resembling hamburger buns out of pan cake mix?

I'm asking if it would taste terrible.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I'm asking if it would taste terrible.

If chicken and waffles tastes amazing. . . How much sugar did you use in your pancake batter? Most recipes call for a lot more sugar than a hamburger bun, and the texture is definitely not going to be the same. This abomination is probably going to taste awesome, please report back.

For Christmas, I cooked a ham and bought a big jar (couldn't find a small jar) of whole cloves, now I have no idea what else to use these things for. What are some other easy recipes I can use to get rid of these things?

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Yes, but only if there is a fried egg on it. Do it smashburg style too probably. Don't want a super thick patty on a pancake.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Pot barley is the same thing as pearl barley, right?

Lamb shoulder chops were on sale (with those wonderful little marrow cylinders), and I want to try my hand at a stew.
My normal MO is to debone it, brown it, and throw it in with rice while it cooks.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That was delicious!

I fried a couple of eggs (over easy,) ontop of the hamburger with some cheese, I used ketchup relish and some onions, the pancakes I made a bit thick so they wouldn't fall apart and they soaked up the juices nicely.

10/10 would do again.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
My apricot tree is literally tearing itself apart with the amount of fruit that it has on it. Short of a billion jars of jam - which if anyone has some tried and true recipes for, I'd appreciate - what else can I do with something like 40kg+ of apricots? Drinks, pastries, savoury - I'm open to anything.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Make freeze-distilled apricot brandy, or maybe a fruit wine. Alternately make a ton of jam. You can also grill them and serve with vanilla ice cream.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Aaronicon posted:

My apricot tree is literally tearing itself apart with the amount of fruit that it has on it. Short of a billion jars of jam - which if anyone has some tried and true recipes for, I'd appreciate - what else can I do with something like 40kg+ of apricots? Drinks, pastries, savoury - I'm open to anything.

Liqueur or infusion could be cool.

Make an apricot hot sauce.

Dry some and use instead of raisins in baked goods or in tajine

Can a few whole for pies and stuff later.

Make a syrup for pancakes or waffles.

Oh! Make fruit leather!

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 11, 2014

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Dried apricots are super handy to have on hand when cooking pork.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Aaronicon posted:

Make vinegar? It's a good way to use up a lot and home-made fruit vinegars are delicious enough to drink straight. This is a persimmon vinegar I'm making and should be ready in April.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Mister Macys posted:

Pot barley is the same thing as pearl barley, right?

It's not, they are different barleys but they can both be used in most situations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Many pages ago someone posted a recipe for red pasta sauce that was essentially a tin of San Marzano and an onion. I can't find it now but I'd like to give it a try, seeing as I think I have everything I need. Could some kind soul please repost it?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
That's Marcella Hazan's recipe: http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1015178/marcella-hazans-tomato-sauce.html

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Oh wow that's even more simple than I remembered. Thanks... think I'm gonna add just a tiny bit of spice to that though :stare:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Is there any particular reason for an onion half vs just mincing the hell out of the onion or using a hand blender to get it to a consistency that you want?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Is there any particular reason for an onion half vs just mincing the hell out of the onion or using a hand blender to get it to a consistency that you want?

Yep. "Discard the onion before tossing the sauce with pasta."

Haha, this part is classic:

quote:

Correction: September 30, 2013

An earlier version of this recipe excluded two items from the ingredients list: 5 tablespoons of butter, and salt.

It was a can of tomatoes before the correction.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Chard posted:

Oh wow that's even more simple than I remembered. Thanks... think I'm gonna add just a tiny bit of spice to that though :stare:

Try it without the spice first. This sauce is about isolating the most perfectly bright, tart, sweet tomato flavor possible. It knocks it out of the park. I'm sure a few chili flakes would be fine, but I love the elemental clarity of its flavor as written.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Is there a website where I can put the ingredients I have and get the recipes that I can make with them?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There are several, but I can't vouch for any of them

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=what+can+i+make+with+these+ingredients&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Still might be worth browsing for ideas though

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

I have come into possession of a 'picnic shoulder ham', ie it is a pork shoulder that has been smoked.

What should I do with it? Should I just try a good ol' honey baked ham?

Also it has been frozen. Will this destroy the awesome?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Decent recipe to cook silverside with?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Colonel Sanders posted:

For Christmas, I cooked a ham and bought a big jar (couldn't find a small jar) of whole cloves, now I have no idea what else to use these things for. What are some other easy recipes I can use to get rid of these things?
Here you go!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
French onion soup, how do I do it? There are tons of recipes and variations but it seems like the idea is to caramelize your onions then add wine and stock. Some recipes show the wine being completely optional. Some call for chicken stock, others call for beef stock, and from my understanding beef stock is more classical and it happens to be what I have on hand. Some recipes say you should simmer off all the wine first before adding the stock, others don't say that. Some use a flour to thicken the onions, and others don't.

I said f' it all last night and tried to just improvise and caramelized onions and added a 2:1 ratio of stock to wine at the same time and I had to throw away the entire thing cause it was just onion beef flavored warm wine.

Help me GWS, I'm so confused.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Boris Galerkin posted:

When in doubt, turn to Delia: http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/soups/french-onion-soup.html

This is my go to recipe for French onion soup, and it has never let me down. It's really great.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

French onion soup, how do I do it? There are tons of recipes and variations but it seems like the idea is to caramelize your onions then add wine and stock. Some recipes show the wine being completely optional. Some call for chicken stock, others call for beef stock, and from my understanding beef stock is more classical and it happens to be what I have on hand. Some recipes say you should simmer off all the wine first before adding the stock, others don't say that. Some use a flour to thicken the onions, and others don't.

I said f' it all last night and tried to just improvise and caramelized onions and added a 2:1 ratio of stock to wine at the same time and I had to throw away the entire thing cause it was just onion beef flavored warm wine.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/french-onion-soup-recipe/index.html

This is one of the better French Onion Soup recipes out there, get yourself an electric skillet for it, it really does do this justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

When I'm in that situation I just think about what the dish is component wise. What does it taste like? What are the elements?

We have beef/meat/savory intensely maillard/umami flavored stock. Caramelized onions. Accents of aromatics in the stock. To me the flavors in addition to the stock and onion are thyme, black pepper, maybe some bay leaf. There is a crispy slightly chewy crouton on top that has enough structure to hold up to floating in a broth. And some rich melted cheese broiled on top.

From there the only thing is the finish line. You can get these elements any number of ways. Traditionally you caramelize onions, deglaze with some wine, add some stock, simmer with herbs, scoop into a crock and top with a crouton and Gruyere and broil to melt.

There's more than one way to make a soup. You can use chemistry and physics to help. Baking soda to onions help aid in caramelization. Pressure cooking creates an environment where maillard reactions can flourish. Similar with sous vide. These maillard reactions are so intense in these latter two that beef stock isn't even necessary (I didn't believe it at first either). Check out the pressure caramelization thread for a way to do it in a pressure cooker.

Edit. Remember when you cook with wine that you need to cook out a majority of the alcohol before serving lest it taste like warm wine :)

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 12, 2014