Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
The new terminal C expansion at Denver makes the SW gates incredibly long, god drat I hate that.

Food at the Mexican restaurant - currently La Casita - on the 3rd floor of the terminal C rotunda is usually passable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

So long as they still have the secret security checkpoint upstairs on the A gate walkway so I can feel smugly superior to the folks waiting in line I'll forgive DEN its sins. Travel's gonna suck anyway, artificial little victories still come with the endorphin kick.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

JohnCompany posted:

So long as they still have the secret security checkpoint upstairs on the A gate walkway so I can feel smugly superior to the folks waiting in line I'll forgive DEN its sins. Travel's gonna suck anyway, artificial little victories still come with the endorphin kick.

Only problem is no Precheck on the bridge checkpoint. Once again the TSA ruins all our good times.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 11, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

JohnCompany posted:

I don't think this is faster than precheck on average but I've never timed myself.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are there other secret checkpoints at other airports I should know about

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
All the ones I knew of have been consolidated over the years, like the connector from the parking garage at IAH to Terminal E, or the downstairs checkpoint at SFO T3 that is now employees/crew only.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That last one invalidated so many any% records and totally changed the meta. Getting a crew disguise takes way longer than glitching through the wall.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
There's a secret entrance at DTW through the on site Hyatt. You do not have to be staying there to use it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Are there other secret checkpoints at other airports I should know about

Gravitee posted:

There's a secret entrance at DTW through the on site Hyatt. You do not have to be staying there to use it.

Yep this one, though I thought it was a Westin. Never actually stayed there or had to use it, but that's the one that comes to mind.

I've never actually taken more than 2-3 minutes to get through Precheck at DTW, to be honest. But that's been in the late afternoon / early evening flight times.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Gravitee posted:

For movax it is a Westin, and it also has the same problem as the bridge at DEN with no precheck being available. It's a nice hotel (stayed there a couple of times) but I also walk back to the main terminal and go through precheck. Any time savings would be negligible and I don't have to take my poo poo out of my bag. :shrug:

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Yeah Westin not Hyatt. I have precheck and now Clear, but my family doesn't. I've had to use the Westin entrance during Xmas and other busy times.

Also I signed up for Clear this week because of obscenely long precheck lines at MCO where I am currently. I feel like it's all a scam but I hate waiting in lines.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Lines are the worst and also how I demonstrate my level of privilege. Clear is absolutely making money off your biometrics but skipping a huge line in MCO, DEN, SEA, etc. is a price I'm willing to pay.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
DEN is my home airport and even when the lines are mega long, the precheck line scoots right the gently caress along. I’ve seen it wrap from the north security gates all the way down to the south end of the building, and I still got through it in less than 30m. most days it’s a 5 minute thing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is Clear even faster than checking an ID manually or is it just a shorter line because it costs money? Such a scam.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Beef Of Ages posted:

Lines are the worst and also how I demonstrate my level of privilege. Clear is absolutely making money off your biometrics but skipping a huge line in MCO, DEN, SEA, etc. is a price I'm willing to pay.

What times do you get the long lines in SEA? That’s my home airport, and I generally don’t suffer much longer than 10 mins at “peak” with only Precheck.

But my flight times are generally 11 AM or later, with most of my EU travel leaving at 1330.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

smackfu posted:

Is Clear even faster than checking an ID manually or is it just a shorter line because it costs money? Such a scam.

It's all about shorter lines. Hell, half the time I have to either scan my boarding pass or show ID despite using biometrics to authenticate via "random selection" processes. I wouldn't call it a scam as much as an extra opportunity for the privileged that can afford it. The real issue is the whole security theater thing that is our modern TSA.

movax posted:

What times do you get the long lines in SEA? That’s my home airport, and I generally don’t suffer much longer than 10 mins at “peak” with only Precheck.

But my flight times are generally 11 AM or later, with most of my EU travel leaving at 1330.

In talking to a buddy of mine based in SEA, it happens most often during cruise ship season with the morning and late afternoon departure banks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

smackfu posted:

That second one. Remember that they went bankrupt and sold off customer data once already.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Beef Of Ages posted:

ixo posted:

DEN is my home airport and even when the lines are mega long, the precheck line scoots right the gently caress along. I’ve seen it wrap from the north security gates all the way down to the south end of the building, and I still got through it in less than 30m. most days it’s a 5 minute thing.

Even though CLEAR is free, I'm not giving them my biometrics. :bahgawd:

Lately the CLEAR line at Denver has gotten so long that the regular precheck line is noticeably faster, and it's funny to hear the people in the CLEAR line angry that their line is slower.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Clear is something that you get because of the 5% of the time you really need it. Otherwise, it’s not worth it. I wouldn’t have it if Amex wasn’t footing the bill for it, but it’s saved my rear end on several trips.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cacafuego posted:

Clear is something that you get because of the 5% of the time you really need it. Otherwise, it’s not worth it. I wouldn’t have it if Amex wasn’t footing the bill for it, but it’s saved my rear end on several trips.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Clear was very convenient once when I lost my drivers license on a trip.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I just fly with my passport in my airline luggage

Edit: but I still have clear because of amex

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Clear was very convenient once when I lost my drivers license on a trip.

Sometimes Clear will flag for random ID checks, I've had this twice before. Not sure what would happen if you didn't have ID on you.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

i fly airplanes posted:

Sometimes Clear will flag for random ID checks, I've had this twice before. Not sure what would happen if you didn't have ID on you.

Just use your Costco card like my former coworker.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

tumblr hype man posted:

Just use your Costco card like my former coworker.

Costco has your picture on it, and is considered a form of ID!

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 13, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i fly airplanes posted:

Yeah I was definitely hoping and praying I would not get random ID checked.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

What a shitshow today. Weather in Houston just hosed everything up. I’m on hour 13 at airports and still have a few hours before my red eye from Denver to MCO. Never been deplaned twice on the same plane/flight before

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Anyone renew/get a new passport lately? Is the 9-13 wk waiting time real?

We have a site visit in Mexico City in August and trying to see if I can bring the newbie (who doesn't yet have a passport) to alleviate some of my workload.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For some reason there is a r/passports Reddit which is pretty good for seeing recent timelines.

Personal experience, it was 13 weeks for a non-expedited passport for my wife that we applied for in December. Arrived March 20.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

taco show posted:

We have a site visit in Mexico City in August and trying to see if I can bring the newbie (who doesn't yet have a passport) to alleviate some of my workload.

Yes, they're gruesomely backed up at the moment. Recent coworker was 11 weeks, got it 2 weeks ago. Expediting may actually be worth the gamble in this case since a week may make the difference.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

taco show posted:

All reports from folks I know who travel frequently is that it is indeed clogged to hell and takes forever. If the company is footing the bill, I'd use a service like Travisa and have the one week or two week expedited service done. I think it's $500 or so for those but Travisa handles everything for you and takes all your stuff to the in person appointments at the passport office, etc.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

lovely morning to day travel to Atlanta. Skytrain was down leaving hundreds stranded at the rental car center and easily a thousand filling the baggage claim trying to get to a rental car. The crowd was blocking the crosswalks as well, so ground transportation had trouble too.

They clearly had no contingency plan and weren't communicating or operating well. I made it to my appointment 3 hours late.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

lovely morning to day travel to Atlanta. Skytrain was down leaving hundreds stranded at the rental car center and easily a thousand filling the baggage claim trying to get to a rental car. The crowd was blocking the crosswalks as well, so ground transportation had trouble too.

They clearly had no contingency plan and weren't communicating or operating well. I made it to my appointment 3 hours late.

Is it fixed? I’ll be there tomorrow night doing the same thing :v:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yep - it was back up and running like nothing happened by 10.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

taco show posted:

Depending on where you are, I’d personally just recommend doing the official state department super expedited process.

Short version: wait until 14 days to your international travel (must be booked), make an appointment at a passport facility, go, bring all your documents, wait a day or so, have passport in your hands

All of the expeditor stuff no longer has access to appointments, so you’re paying 500 dollars for them to put your paperwork together and drop it in the same pile as everyone else’s.

eta: I found out I was traveling internationally 15 days before the flight would have been. Next morning I called and got an appointment for the next week on a Wednesday, had my passport Friday. It was ready Thursday, but I couldn’t get off work again until the next day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You can book an international flight two weeks or less out, do the expedited renewal as above, and then cancel the flight. A few of my colleagues have done this.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Buff Hardback posted:

Depending on where you are, I’d personally just recommend doing the official state department super expedited process.

We did this, it was easy

Also took our 2 year old and got her passport as well while we were there

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

All of the expeditor stuff no longer has access to appointments, so you’re paying 500 dollars for them to put your paperwork together and drop it in the same pile as everyone else’s.

this isn’t exactly true, depending on the company they can handle booking your appt at the facility. But they can’t make an appt magically appear. Definitely more than just preparing paperwork and dumping it in a pile tho.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can book an international flight two weeks or less out, do the expedited renewal as above, and then cancel the flight. A few of my colleagues have done this.

Yep. Or just print a flight confirmation from an old email and change date and confirmation code. I’m not advising you do this but I personally have never seen nor heard of them pulling up the reservation to see if it’s valid/active.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 23, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The newest passports are pretty fancy with that stiff plastic page in them. I wonder if that takes longer to produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

smackfu posted:

The newest passports are pretty fancy with that stiff plastic page in them. I wonder if that takes longer to produce.

I can’t imagine it takes that much longer, mine was a plastic page and if it weren’t for not being able to make it back the next day, I would have had it in 24 hours from my appointment.