Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tae posted:

Do people actually like every random encounter being uncut in rpg playthroughs?

I'd watch a guy grind the same enemy for an hour if the commentary was interesting. But I also crack up every time Woolie says bleeetzboll so I may just be a chump.

Blockhouse posted:

I'm behind on FFX. are matt and/or woolie saying jecht isn't an abusibe rear end in a top hat? 'cause that's kind of hosed up.

Nah, just that his upbringing isn't as rough as he imagines it was. Which Tidus learning is basically 90% of his plot.

Not even going to lie, I really love how FFX handles that relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"He's not quite Gambino" - Woolie, on child rearing

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
if Matt doesn't show those assholes in the Luca Goers who's boss I'm going to be so miffed.

I'm prepared for disappointment

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

OneDeadman posted:

if Matt doesn't show those assholes in the Luca Goers who's boss I'm going to be so miffed.

I'm prepared for disappointment

I dislike Blitzball greatly (at least how it's played) plus your reward for beating them isn't really worth it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also it doesn't really take any skill once you realize the game is glitchy and you can just score one point and hide in your goal and the AI freaks out and stays in their starting positions.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
:sigh: if only I could have told Matt about the tech in blitzball where you get ahead by one point and then hide in your own goal like a coward where no one can touch you.

That being said the blitzball game is hilariously stacked against you. I remember the tipping forties LP where every time they shot towards the goal they would be interrupted by a cutscene and wouldn't score a point.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

TheRealestMatt posted:

I dislike Blitzball greatly (at least how it's played) plus your reward for beating them isn't really worth it.

Anyone who doesn't believe this, go back and look through the Luca section of TDI's lp where he shows off both possible outcomes of the match. It's literally one line of dialogue changed and that's it, never loving brought up again.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Anyone who doesn't believe this, go back and look through the Luca section of TDI's lp where he shows off both possible outcomes of the match. It's literally one line of dialogue changed and that's it, never loving brought up again.

You also get a trophy that you immediately give away!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Look at these guys not up on the game plan of "VICTORY" :colbert:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

TheRealestMatt posted:

Rhonne posted:

You also get a trophy that you immediately give away!

you get a strength sphere too which is cool

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I did it because I hate the Luca Goers that much.

Also yeah Jecht and Tidus have a pretty strong connection and it's a favorite in the game. It's wacky and sci-fi but on the basest of plains it's somewhat easy to related with for a shmuck like me

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
my friend and i used to hang out and play blitzball

i really like it

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

cmykjester posted:

:sigh: if only I could have told Matt about the tech in blitzball where you get ahead by one point and then hide in your own goal like a coward where no one can touch you.

That being said the blitzball game is hilariously stacked against you. I remember the tipping forties LP where every time they shot towards the goal they would be interrupted by a cutscene and wouldn't score a point.

I've been rewatching that LP recently and it could not have been timed better.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I enjoy Blitzball a decent amount mostly because it's so absurdly easy to cheat at.

Also, Jecht is the best. He says it himself!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Woolie expects Blitzball to be like Nights...
Oh... Poor Woolie.
As far as turnbased football goes, I've always liked Captain Tsubasa on the NES/SNES. But I don't I've seen that formula in 3D outside Blitzball.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

HGH posted:

Oh... Poor Woolie.
As far as turnbased football goes, I've always liked Captain Tsubasa on the NES/SNES. But I don't I've seen that formula in 3D outside Blitzball.

Bloodbowl

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

HGH posted:

Oh... Poor Woolie.

It's a lot like Nights in that Blitzball is also a tire fire.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Blitzball is a pretty enjoyable sidegame.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Blitzball is pretty badumb

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Blitzball is neat and probably the most clever idea for a sidegame an FF has had but boy was it poorly handled. Also

Rodyle posted:

It's a lot like Nights in that Blitzball is also a tire fire.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ruggington posted:

Blitzball is pretty badong

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Blitzball is neat and probably the most clever idea for a sidegame an FF has had but boy was it poorly handled. Also

I'd still give it to Triple Triad, but it's still up there in terms of concept. It would have been a lot better if it was Blitzball Team Manager Simulator and you didn't actually play the games, which were largely unfun and incredibly easy to break.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

FFX is general would be better as a Blitzball team management sim. Your party is the Aurochs and the conceit is Tidus having them hike to the ends of Spira to train in the harshest environments.

I guess Yuna and Co can still be saving the world in the background or whatever.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Pat is tsundere for Souls platforming.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

FFX is general would be better as a Blitzball team management sim. Your party is the Aurochs and the conceit is Tidus having them hike to the ends of Spira to train in the harshest environments.

I guess Yuna and Co can still be saving the world in the background or whatever.

If the whole gang was a Blitzball Team, including the non-playing jobs like coach, and they just want to win the cup but accidentally end up saving the world and defeating Sin, that would have been AMAZING.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TriffTshngo posted:

I enjoy Blitzball a decent amount mostly because it's so absurdly easy to cheat at.

Also, Jecht is the best. He says it himself!

"You can't do it kid, I'm the besttt :human being:" is probably the most memorable line in the whole game for me.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Why does Wakka use the blitzball if he's a terrible blitzer and Tidus played in the major leagues? Wakka should be using the sword. Then this game could be more like a good RPG, Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why does Wakka use the blitzball if he's a terrible blitzer and Tidus played in the major leagues? Wakka should be using the sword. Then this game could be more like a good RPG, Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden.

Wakka kept getting penalties for throwing the ball too hard and killing players. Might as well put that skill to good use.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ffx2 actually does make blitz ball into a management simulator

Also wakka himself is actually pretty good at ball

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wakka is very good, the problem is the rest of his team are literally the worst at their levels.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Tae posted:

Wakka is very good, the problem is the rest of his team are literally the worst at their levels.

I also get the impression Wakka was always a bit half-hearted in his efforts, getting by on raw talent, and Tidus motivates him to train harder and get gud.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hoobajoo posted:

I also get the impression Wakka was always a bit half-hearted in his efforts, getting by on raw talent, and Tidus motivates him to train harder and get gud.

Victory, huh?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

hoobajoo posted:

Wakka mentioned that last year they almost won a match, but Chappu's death ultimately distracted him too much.

edit: Chappu was Wakka's brother and Lulu's fiance.

Tae fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 25, 2015

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Tae posted:

Wakka mentioned that last year they almost won a match, but Chappu's death ultimately distracted him too much.

Oh yeah, you're totally right, he was in a funk after his Bleetzball buddie died. I'm dumb.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some news from Indivisible. Turns out that they are going to get that animated intro after all. It's a Christmas miracle.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

cmykjester posted:

Some news from Indivisible. Turns out that they are going to get that animated intro after all. It's a Christmas miracle.

They actually didn't stop their campaign, so people can still totally donate if they want. I think their next stretch goal is full voice acting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Not sure the whirly blade is that great, in context of Pat being like near max level?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

its like the best weapon in the game

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tae posted:

Not sure the whirly blade is that great, in context of Pat being like near max level?

I have a feeling he'll be fine until the last boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

lets hang out posted:

its like the best weapon in the game

I dunno, the weapon he picked up in the beginning seems pretty good unless the damage/stagger is poo poo?